IndiaDivine.org

Gluten flour?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I think this was answered on one of my lists, but I wasn't awake at the time.

What is the difference between gluten flour and say, whole-wheat flour? Could I

cheat and substitute whole-wheat flour? I want to try on of these seitan recipes

this weekend.

Thanks!

Dyrinda

============================================================

" Susan Rhee " <sulerhee49

2003/09/11 Thu AM 10:19:16 EDT

Re: Re: Susan found answers to her own questions

SEITAN--THE VEGETARIAN WHEAT MEAT

By Jill Nussinow, M.S., R.D.

http://www.vrg.org/recipes/vjseitan.htm

The Vegetarian Resource Group. Explains and has recipes.

-

Doreen Bell-Dotan

Thursday, September 11, 2003 1:36 AM

Re: Susan found answers to her own questions

--- B " H

Would you please put the number of that post or the URL up?

Thank you.

Doreen

In , " Susan Rhee " <sulerhee49@e...>

wrote:

> Hi Everyone,

>

> I finally went to the web site Vegetarian Resource Group mention in

a post by Cheri on August 30th. It answered the questions I just

asked in the group. The web site is wonderful; and I learned so much.

>

> Thanks Cheri!

>

> Susan R.

============================================================

SEITAN--THE VEGETARIAN WHEAT MEAT

By Jill Nussinow, M.S., R.D.

http://www.vrg.org/recipes/vjseitan.htm

The Vegetarian Resource Group. Explains and has recipes.

-

Doreen Bell-Dotan

Thursday, September 11, 2003 1:36 AM

Re: Susan found answers to her own questions

--- B"HWould you please put the number of that post or the URL up?Thank you.DoreenIn , "Susan Rhee" <sulerhee49@e...> wrote:> Hi Everyone,> > I finally went to the web site Vegetarian Resource Group mention in a post by Cheri on August 30th. It answered the questions I just asked in the group. The web site is wonderful; and I learned so much.> > Thanks Cheri!> > Susan R.

contact owner: -owner

Mail list:

Delivered-mailing list

List-Un: -

no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowed

contact owner with complaints regarding posting/list

or anything else. Thank you.

please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list

Dyrinda,

Whole wheat flour won't substitute for gluten flour in making seitan unless you first want to make gluten. Gluten is the protein portion of the flour (the sticky stuff that helps catch the gasses when yeasted baked goods "rise"), with the bran and fiber, sugars and starches rinsed away (the actual process can be fun, but is time consuming http://www.fatfree.com/archive/1997/sep/msg00252.html). Gluten flour is made when the rubbery mass of gluten is then dried and powdered into a find flour. It's also important not to confuse gluten flour (also called "vital wheat gluten") and "hi-gluten" flour, which is merely all-purpose flour with added gluten. For making seitan you definitely need gluten flour or vital wheat gluten.

You can find either at most large supermarkets in their bulk bins or at any health food store.

~Nita

-

Dyrinda Tyson-Jones

Thursday, September 11, 2003 9:46 AM

Gluten flour?

I think this was answered on one of my lists, but I wasn't awake at the time. What is the difference between gluten flour and say, whole-wheat flour? Could I cheat and substitute whole-wheat flour? I want to try on of these seitan recipes this weekend.Thanks!Dyrinda============================================================"Susan Rhee" <sulerhee492003/09/11 Thu AM 10:19:16 EDTRe: Re: Susan found answers to her own questionsSEITAN--THE VEGETARIAN WHEAT MEATBy Jill Nussinow, M.S., R.D.http://www.vrg.org/recipes/vjseitan.htmThe Vegetarian Resource Group. Explains and has recipes. - Doreen Bell-Dotan Thursday, September 11, 2003 1:36 AM Re: Susan found answers to her own questions --- B"H Would you please put the number of that post or the URL up? Thank you. Doreen In , "Susan Rhee" <sulerhee49@e...> wrote: > Hi Everyone, > > I finally went to the web site Vegetarian Resource Group mention in a post by Cheri on August 30th. It answered the questions I just asked in the group. The web site is wonderful; and I learned so much. > > Thanks Cheri! > > Susan R.============================================================contact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list