IndiaDivine.org

Shoes, etc.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Dave:

I agree wholeheartedly: I get more "you'd eat meat if you were hungry" comments than I could ever imagine. If we all just made our individual choice(s) and didn't preach (this applies to many facets of life), it would be SO much easier. I guess I'm too idealistic.

RE: shoes: I used to go the Payless or KMart running shoe route, but now that I'm logging 40+ miles a week (and having undergone knee arthro) I'm super cautious about what I wear. I still pay about $20-$30, but they're last year's Saucony's or Nike's from Big5. Too much leather for my taste, but weigh less than other brands. I have faith that someday they'll come out with a good, non-leather competitive running shoe.

I DID, however, buy a pair of New Balance (last year's model) trail running shoes that I really think are mostly fabric with perhaps a rubber-material at the toes and heels. They're my favorite, of course.

daveo <daveo wrote:

Hi, L3,

Seems to me that some veggies are into it for health reasons, other for ethical reasons, and then some for both sets of reasons. To me, each person ought to make their own choice, and allow others to do the same.

Speaking of non leather shoes, I find them often at "Payless Shoe Source." I live near San Francisco. I won't tell you that the quality is the best I've ever seen, but the price is right. They are often quite stylish and look identical to leather. I jog and easily wear out a pair in six months, but at $20-30 a pair, it's a great deal for me. Instead of spending $300 for four pairs, I usually get away for under a hundred.

Dave

Laura Laura Laura [me2lauralaura]

...Some would (do!) consider me a fanatic because I watch out for meat broth in my soup. Some consider me a hypocrit (sp?) because my running shoes are made of leather (oh, I so wish I could find a good substitute for leather) Others might consider a vegan fanatic.

Guest guest

I also run and buy a light New Balance running shoe. I live in Canada and buy my shoes from the running room...the cost $120 a pair. For years I wore the wrong shoe. At the running room they fitted me perfect..lol....a very light running. A couple of years ago I went to the US for a run and shopped at a Pay Less :-) Good for you logging 40 + miles. Do you train for any runs or just run for your own pleasure. Good luck with your knee surgery.....

Bridget.....

Laura Laura Laura <me2lauralaura wrote:

.. RE: shoes: I used to go the Payless or KMart running shoe route, but now that I'm logging 40+ miles a week (and having undergone knee arthro) I'm super cautious about what I wear. I still pay about $20-$30, but they're last year's Saucony's or Nike's from Big5. Too much leather for my taste, but weigh less than other brands. I have faith that someday they'll come out with a good, non-leather competitive running shoe. I DID, however, buy a pair of New Balance (last year's model) trail running shoes that I really think are mostly fabric with perhaps a rubber-material at the toes and heels. They're my favorite, of course. If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere. - Vincent Van GoghPost your free ad now! Canada Personals

Guest guest

My pair of athletic shoes are New Balance 601. They're

comfortable and leather-free, and I think in the

$40-$50 range.

Oh, and this is my first post. I accidentally deleted

the intro email, but I'm a 17-year-old vegan from New

Orleans. I would like to lose some weight because I'm

a recovering COE. I don't cook very much, but I try to

when the kitchen is usable (there is often trash and

rotting food everywhere because I still live with my family).

Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your desktop!

http://platinum.

Guest guest

welcome to the group Cammie. Its nice to meet you :)

I hope that you find the group useful. I do hope that you are able to try

out some of the recipes here at home :)

Laura

-----------

Take a look at my :

My online diary is at:

http://laurakate01.diaryland.com/

-----------

" A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore,

if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake

of his appetite. And to act so is immoral. " - Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910)

-----------

>Cammie <cammieb742

>

>

>Re: Shoes, etc.

>Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:30:53 -0800 (PST)

>

>My pair of athletic shoes are New Balance 601. They're

>comfortable and leather-free, and I think in the

>$40-$50 range.

>

>Oh, and this is my first post. I accidentally deleted

>the intro email, but I'm a 17-year-old vegan from New

>Orleans. I would like to lose some weight because I'm

>a recovering COE. I don't cook very much, but I try to

>when the kitchen is usable (there is often trash and

>rotting food everywhere because I still live with my family).

>

>

>

> Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your desktop!

>http://platinum.

Chat online in real time with MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.co.uk

Guest guest

And mine are New Balance 704's and (just checked) leather free. Seems to me New Balance just got one more brand-loyal customer. :]

Welcome--and (if you don't mind shiring) what is a COE, Cammie?

~Laurax3

Cammie <cammieb742 wrote:

My pair of athletic shoes are New Balance 601. They'recomfortable and leather-free, and I think in the$40-$50 range. *********************

If it's meant to be,

It will be.

Guest guest

Hi Bridget:

>>>>I also run and buy a light New Balance running shoe.

Yet one more reason why I will become totally brand loyal to NB ! (and, I plan on spreading the word)

>>>>Do you train for any runs or just run for your own pleasure.

I am very goal oriented and demotivate easily (at 40+, it seems that I have to eat much less to maintain my present weight, so I figured if I "up" my metabolism by weight training and running, I'll counteract these adverse effects of aging) So, yep--I do train for specific runs (and a duathlon this year). I have at least one race a month I am registered in. No, I'm not fast--but I'm a plugger and I realized (after I quit smoking exactly 11 years ago this Thursday--YAY!) that I can actually run long distances, slowly, but I get there. I'm not competing with anyone else, just me--and I figure that I'm doing something 99% of the rest of the population isn't doing. What I tell my kids: the only losers are those who can and don't.

>>>>Good luck with your knee surgery..... OH--that was a year and a half ago and it went very well, thank you! Thank goodness for modern technology...I was up and running again (literally) within 3 months.

~Laurax3*********************

If it's meant to be,

It will be.

Guest guest

Hi Laura. By " COE " I meant compulsive overeater.

--- Laura Laura Laura <me2lauralaura wrote:

>

> And mine are New Balance 704's and (just checked)

> leather free.

> Seems to me New Balance just got one more

> brand-loyal customer. :]

> Welcome--and (if you don't mind shiring) what is a

> COE, Cammie?

> ~Laurax3

> Cammie <cammieb742 wrote:My pair of

> athletic shoes are New Balance 601. They're

> comfortable and leather-free, and I think in the

> $40-$50 range.

>

>

>

>

> *********************

>

> If it's meant to be,

>

> It will be.

>

>

>

>

>

> Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness,

> live on your desktop!

http://platinum.

Guest guest

OK--gotcha.

~Laura

Cammie <cammieb742 wrote:

Hi Laura. By "COE" I meant compulsive overeater. *********************

If it's meant to be,

It will be.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Hi Laura......I started my running schedule this week....a nice 6km (4 miles) today. I run 5 days out of 7 and my off days are Monday and Friday. This is a 17 week program from the running room. Tomorrow a 10km (6miles) sometimes I run 10 minutes walk 1 minute :-) I have been running for many years and have found that I did get slower over the years.

Good for you running a race every month :-)))) Good luck on your duathlon this year. Keep me posted on how your doing and happy veggie eating..lol...Take Care!!

Bridget.......

Laura Laura Laura <me2lauralaura wrote:

I am very goal oriented and demotivate easily (at 40+, it seems that I have to eat much less to maintain my present weight, so I figured if I "up" my metabolism by weight training and running, I'll counteract these adverse effects of aging) So, yep--I do train for specific runs (and a duathlon this year). I have at least one race a month I am registered in. No, I'm not fast--but I'm a plugger and I realized (after I quit smoking exactly 11 years ago this Thursday--YAY!) that I can actually run long distances, slowly, but I get there. I'm not competing with anyone else, just me--and I figure that I'm doing something 99% of the rest of the population isn't doing. What I tell my kids: the only losers are those who can and don't. If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere. - Vincent Van GoghPost your free ad now! Canada Personals