His finding and current contention is that only with a whole protein source

(raw milk or yogurt or B12 supplementation) can you assure your

health....that neurologically, B12 is necessary and I gather it is found in

complete protein sources? At any rate, he feels presently a safer way to

assure health is vegetarianism (some animal by products) as opposed to raw

vegan . Plus he said, raw vegan can be a REAL CHORE to accomplish in a

society that just isn't into it.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice for a rookie? (PS you may see this cross

posted...I joined a LOT of vegan/veg lists :-)

TIA,

lynn

Guest guest

Anyone know what amount of protein is needed for keeping healthy?

Also eggs are supposed to be a protein source, but is it in the yolk or the egg white, or both?

The yolk is supposed to be bad for cholesterol, so I was wondering if I could use egg whites

as a primary protein source.

Like in hard boiled eggs.

-

purpleshirt

Tuesday, June 24, 2003 10:55 AM

Making Decisions was Welcome

Hi Laura and all,Actually I do have a question, as I just had a conversation with a raw vegan turned vegetarian yesterday afternoon and as I am brand spanking

Guest guest

Egg whites are an excellent source of protein, and the yolks are where the cholesterol is found. Hard boiled eggs...why not? You do plan on tossing out the yolks, right?

Re: the amount of protein, I've seen estimates varying from .45 - .80 grams of protein per pound of body weight. The higher amounts were intended for those with more active lifestyles like bodybuilders. I understand that some of the high-protein diets push these amounts even higer.

Dave

c_IRON [oo0ir0n0o.0] Wednesday, June 25, 2003 1:22 AM Subject: Re: Making Decisions was Welcome

Anyone know what amount of protein is needed for keeping healthy?

Also eggs are supposed to be a protein source, but is it in the yolk or the egg white, or both?

The yolk is supposed to be bad for cholesterol, so I was wondering if I could use egg whites

as a primary protein source.

Like in hard boiled eggs.

Guest guest

"Had a discussion with an ex vegan (now vegetarian) about health issues...His finding and current contention is that only with a whole protein source (raw milk or yogurt or B12 supplementation) can you assure your health....that neurologically, B12 is necessary and I gather it is found in complete protein sources?"

I don't know a whole lot about the different vitamins. Probably more than most people but i'm no expert. B12 is a must, and can be found in many fortified soya products such as soya milk and margarine, also breakfast cereal and marmite. So getting B12 isn't that hard as a vegan as long as you make sure you are eating these foods. As for protein, as a vegan i feel i get more than enough, in beans, tofu and other soya products.

there used to be a myth that to get a complete protein source you had to eat certain foods together. Luckily alot of these foods went together, like beans and rice. But its now been found that you don't even need them together in the same meal. So as long as you very your diet and eat many different veggies, fruits, carbs and soya products etc, you shouold be fine. I am! ;-)

"Plus he said, raw vegan can be a REAL CHORE to accomplish in a society that just isn't into it."

Vegetarianism = some difficulties

Veganism = difficult but can be done

Raw veganism = even more difficult but not impossible

This sums up my feelings really. I'm happy being vegan and feel that i am getting all the nutrients that i need. I don't feel the need to be a raw vegan, but if i did i would definitely be a bit more worried about vitamins as you have to think about what you are eating more.So Lynn, i know you are veggie at the moment. Are you thinking about becoming vegan or just curious? I was just wondering. Veganism is not as difficult as it sounds. The only time it is a hassle is eating out or at other people's houses. When i'm at home i have all my food there and just cook whatever i fancy... bolognaise, chilli, curry, chinese etc.

Anyway, must go for now, hope that helped!

~*Laura*~* * * * * * * * * *Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot. * * * * * * * * * *Be the change you want to see in the world. Mahatma Ghandi * * * * * * * * * *www.diaryland.com/veganvixenuk/! Plus - For a better Internet experience