IndiaDivine.org

Why did I become a vegan....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Good Morning Everyone!!

Back in September, my DH was dx'd with high triglycerides. The nutritionist told him to go

on a very low fat diet. No other specifics were given other than he had 3 months to get his

triglycerides under control before the doc would put him on medication.so I turned to the

computer to research cholesterol and triglycerides. Everything was pointing to a very low

fat vegan plan 'ala McDougall, Ornish etc... I found evidence that following this low fat vegan

diet could even reverse heart disease So I found some recipes and started playing around with

them. His doctor's appt is next week and I will report on his results although he has lost 17 1/2 pounds

since the first week of Sept.

After a month of DH following this plan, my Dad called and said his triglycerides were up

and since I had just done all this research for DH, what did he need to do?

I gave him all the information and even packed up some bags of specialty foods that I had bought -

TVP, oat bran things like that. Dad only had 6 weeks to get his under control. He began the program

I set up for him and in 5 weeks, he lost 17 pounds and his triglycerides went from 331 to 180!

With all this evidence staring me in the face, how could I continue eating the diet I eating?

So on Nov 3, I began a full fledged vegan way of eating. Since then I have lost 14 pounds without

any exercise at all. I was actually afraid to do to much at one time for fear of burnout. So I will be

adding in exercise in Jan. to boost my weight loss.

Even after I reach my goal weight, I do not see myself returning to my former omni ways. I have learned too

much over the last few months!

If there is something I haven't covered, feel free to ask!

Ann

Sant & Brown [santbrown] Monday, December 15, 2003 6:41 AM Subject: Re: Re: File - Questions for new membersWell hello, Anne! ;=) Nice to hear from you too! Hey, that must have been some magnificentswitch from omni to vegan just like that! Congratulations on making thechange and how great that you are enjoying the food. I think it's soooodifficult when people change from omni to vegetarian (whatever form) andfind they *don't* like the food (well, clearly they're eating the wrongthings, but . . .) but don't want to go back to eating me*t, of course.So hard.Let's hear more from you - I'm sure other members would like to knowjust how you did it, and, if it isn't too personal, why. Myself, I havebeen some form of vegetarian for a couple of decades or more, barring afew setbacks for strange and not so wonderful reasons (let's not gothere), and at the beginning of this year I changed to a vegan diet.Any recipes I post are likely to be vegan with, obviously, options toconvert to ovo-lacto *lol* Other recipes posted can be either vegan orovo-lacto, but hey we're all capable of working around that!Best,Pat-- SANTBROWNtownhounds/vegetarianslimming/HOMEPAGE: http://www.angelfire.com/art/pendragon/----------* "There are too many idiots in this world. And having said it, I havethe burden of proving it." (Franz Fanon)* "Until he extends the circle of compassion to all living things, manwill not himself find peace." (Albert Schweitzer)

Hi Ann ;=)

That's fantastic about the vegan diet getting down the triglyceride

levels for your father - we'll keep our fingers crossed about your dh

too. I'm sure it will be fine! And yes, if I were you, I wouldn't even

*think* about going back to a non-vegan diet after your experience - I

quite agree. Amazing stuff.

Best,

Pat

--

SANTBROWN

townhounds/

vegetarianslimming/

HOMEPAGE: http://www.angelfire.com/art/pendragon/

----------

* " There are too many idiots in this world. And having said it, I have

the burden of proving it. " (Franz Fanon)

* " Until he extends the circle of compassion to all living things, man

will not himself find peace. " (Albert Schweitzer)