IndiaDivine.org

White Lotus Restaurant in down town San Jose

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Fellow South Bay Veggies,

Recently, I have been going to the White Lotus on Market Street in San Jose. They changed ownership and the new management is struggling very much to get people to come and eat at their restaurant. My friend and I were there on a Saturday night and the place was hardly full. Today, I went there for lunch around 11:45 AM and one should think the place would be packed. Besides me, there were TWO other people. That is really sad! This is a wonderful restaurant and they have a great selection on their menu. Almost everything is vegan except a couple of their desserts are dairy.

I would like to suggest to have one of our group dinners there. I asked the owner, if she was familiar with the South Bay Veggie Group and she is. I would really like to see this restaurant flourish and will do my part to support it.

Your feed-back is most welcome!

Thanks,

Miriam F. Leiseroff

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. We really should try to help the White Lotus stay in business.

I would be happy to participate in a group dinner there and will also make it a point to visit there more frequently.

Manny Cherkas

-

Miriam Leiseroff

Friday, February 18, 2005 3:15 PM

White Lotus Restaurant in down town San Jose

Dear Fellow South Bay Veggies,

Recently, I have been going to the White Lotus on Market Street in San Jose. They changed ownership and the new management is struggling very much to get people to come and eat at their restaurant. My friend and I were there on a Saturday night and the place was hardly full. Today, I went there for lunch around 11:45 AM and one should think the place would be packed. Besides me, there were TWO other people. That is really sad! This is a wonderful restaurant and they have a great selection on their menu. Almost everything is vegan except a couple of their desserts are dairy.

I would like to suggest to have one of our group dinners there. I asked the owner, if she was familiar with the South Bay Veggie Group and she is. I would really like to see this restaurant flourish and will do my part to support it.

Your feed-back is most welcome!

Thanks,

Miriam F. Leiseroff

That was the old management Fred. The new management consists of the original chef. While I agree with your comments on the old management, the food is now excellent, the portions are larger, the service is fast and friendly and the surroundings are now clean and tasteful. I challenge you to try it again because there is finally a quality vegetarian restaurant in SJ.

Additionally, I trust that the food served at the White Lotus is truly vegetarian unlike restaurants that serve meat.

-JohnFred < wrote:

I actually disagree. At least when they were under the old management. The portions were small and the prices were high. The service was horrible and the staff was unfriendly. I work downtown and I have been to the place about 5 times and every time I go there I tell myself that I am never going back. I often walk right past the place and get a veggie burrito next door. It is fast, friendly, and only five bucks, plus all the chips and salsa you want. Even when the place is empty, it takes White Lotus 40 minutes to serve a meal and then it costs $12, after they charge you an extra $1.50 for the another small helping of brown rice. It is a good location for a vegetarian restaurant and the food is okay, but these guys don't have a clue when it comes to service or value.--Fred

Schwinn , "Manny Cherkas" <m_cherkas@h...> wrote:> I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. We really should try to help the White Lotus stay in business.> > I would be happy to participate in a group dinner there and will also make it a point to visit there more frequently.> > Manny Cherkas> - > Miriam Leiseroff > > Friday, February 18, 2005 3:15 PM> White Lotus Restaurant in down town San Jose> > > Dear Fellow South Bay Veggies,> > Recently, I have been going to the White Lotus on Market Street in San Jose. They changed ownership and the new management is struggling very much to get people to come and eat at

their restaurant. My friend and I were there on a Saturday night and the place was hardly full. Today, I went there for lunch around 11:45 AM and one should think the place would be packed. Besides me, there were TWO other people. That is really sad! This is a wonderful restaurant and they have a great selection on their menu. Almost everything is vegan except a couple of their desserts are dairy.> > I would like to suggest to have one of our group dinners there. I asked the owner, if she was familiar with the South Bay Veggie Group and she is. I would really like to see this restaurant flourish and will do my part to support it. > > Your feed-back is most welcome!> > Thanks,> Miriam F. Leiseroff> > >

>

Fred,

It seems that, except for the high prices, small portions, "okay" food, unfriendliness of the staff, and exorbitant charges for brown rice, you really really like this restaurant! Like it so much you have violated your vows never to return four times! It must be an awfully good restaurant to draw you in so irresistibly. Now I am afraid to go there myself because, having less will power than you, I may be doomed to continue forever.

Anyway, you apparently have not eaten there under the new regime, and neither have I. Perhaps we should, in all fairness, try the "new" White Lotus out once. If they are not better than their predecessors, we can always commit ourselves never to go back.

Manny Cherkas

-

Fred

Saturday, February 19, 2005 9:16 AM

Re: White Lotus Restaurant in down town San Jose

I actually disagree. At least when they were under the old management. The portions were small and the prices were high. The service was horrible and the staff was unfriendly. I work downtown and I have been to the place about 5 times and every time I go there I tell myself that I am never going back. I often walk right past the place and get a veggie burrito next door. It is fast, friendly, and only five bucks, plus all the chips and salsa you want. Even when the place is empty, it takes White Lotus 40 minutes to serve a meal and then it costs $12, after they charge you an extra $1.50 for the another small helping of brown rice. It is a good location for a vegetarian restaurant and the food is okay, but these guys don't have a clue when it comes to service or value.--Fred Schwinn , "Manny Cherkas" <m_cherkas@h...> wrote:> I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. We really should try to help the White Lotus stay in business.> > I would be happy to participate in a group dinner there and will also make it a point to visit there more frequently.> > Manny Cherkas

> - > Miriam Leiseroff > > Friday, February 18, 2005 3:15 PM> White Lotus Restaurant in down town San Jose> > > Dear Fellow South Bay Veggies,> > Recently, I have been going to the White Lotus on Market Street in San Jose. They changed ownership and the new management is struggling very much to get people to come and eat at their restaurant. My friend and I were there on a Saturday night and the place was hardly full. Today, I went there for lunch around 11:45 AM and one should think the place would be packed. Besides me, there were TWO other people. That is really sad! This is a wonderful restaurant and they have a great selection on their menu. Almost everything is vegan except a couple of their desserts are dairy.> > I would like to suggest to have one of our group dinners there. I asked the owner, if she was familiar with the South Bay Veggie Group and she is. I would really like to see this restaurant flourish and will do my part to support it. > > Your feed-back is most welcome!> > Thanks,> Miriam F. Leiseroff> > > >

I go to vegetarian restaurants all over the Bay Area - about

1/week.

This restaurant, by far, has the most lackluster food and poor

service.

I didn't much care for old regime and I like new regime even less. Our

party ordered 6 dishes at my last visit and 5 out of the 6 were bland and

needed lots of seasoning. I ordered a tapioca dessert that was inedible.

Most folks heavily salted and soy'd their dishes to try and add flavor.

Only a fake pork dish was good.

Since you're so close, why not go to Vegetarian House at 520 East Santa

Clara St., San Jose, were the food is consistently great, the service is

awesome and there's plenty of free parking.

Tammy, I've submitted my review.

Clyde

At 08:16 PM 2/19/2005, Manny Cherkas wrote:

Fred,

It seems that, except for the high prices,

small portions, " okay " food, unfriendliness of the staff, and

exorbitant charges for brown rice, you really really like this

restaurant! Like it so much you have violated your vows never to return

four times! It must be an awfully good restaurant to draw you in so

irresistibly. Now I am afraid to go there myself because, having less

will power than you, I may be doomed to continue forever.

Anyway, you apparently have not eaten there

under the new regime, and neither have I. Perhaps we should, in all

fairness, try the " new " White Lotus out once. If they are not

better than their predecessors, we can always commit ourselves never to

go back.

Manny Cherkas

- Fred To:

Re: White Lotus Restaurant in down town

San Jose

I actually disagree. At least when they were under the old management. The portions were small and the prices were

high. The service was horrible and the staff was unfriendly. I work

downtown and I have been to the place about 5 times and every time I go there I tell myself that I am never going back. I often walk right

past the place and get a veggie burrito next door. It is fast,

friendly, and only five bucks, plus all the chips and salsa you want.

Even when the place is empty, it takes White Lotus 40 minutes to serve a meal and then it costs $12, after they charge you an extra $1.50 for the another small helping of brown rice. It is a good location

for a vegetarian restaurant and the food is okay, but these guys don't have a clue when it comes to service or value.

--Fred Schwinn

, " Manny Cherkas " <m_cherkas@h...> wrote:

> I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. We really should

try to help the White Lotus stay in business.

> > I would be happy to participate in a group dinner there and will also make it a point to visit there more frequently.

> > Manny Cherkas

> - > Miriam Leiseroff > > Friday, February 18, 2005 3:15 PM

> White Lotus Restaurant in

down town San Jose

> > > Dear Fellow South Bay Veggies,

> > Recently, I have been going to the White Lotus on

Market Street in San Jose. They changed ownership and the new management is struggling very much to get people to come and eat at their restaurant. My friend and I were there on a Saturday night and

the place was hardly full. Today, I went there for lunch around

11:45 AM and one should think the place would be packed. Besides me,

there were TWO other people. That is really sad! This is a

wonderful restaurant and they have a great selection on their menu.

Almost everything is vegan except a couple of their desserts are dairy.

> > I would like to suggest to have one of our group

dinners there. I asked the owner, if she was familiar with the South Bay Veggie Group and she is. I would really like to see this restaurant flourish and will do my part to support it. > > Your feed-back is most welcome!

> > Thanks,

> Miriam F. Leiseroff

> > >

--

----------

>

Greetings.

My friend and I went to the White Lotus about a month ago. The food was pretty good, the portions were moderately sized, as were the prices. The wait staff was friendly and very attentive. We plan to go back again. The sad thing was that there were few customers, and the staff said that if we enjoyed our meal, to please spread the word. I vote yes on the White Lotus....

StacyManny Cherkas <m_cherkas wrote:

Fred,

It seems that, except for the high prices, small portions, "okay" food, unfriendliness of the staff, and exorbitant charges for brown rice, you really really like this restaurant! Like it so much you have violated your vows never to return four times! It must be an awfully good restaurant to draw you in so irresistibly. Now I am afraid to go there myself because, having less will power than you, I may be doomed to continue forever.

Anyway, you apparently have not eaten there under the new regime, and neither have I. Perhaps we should, in all fairness, try the "new" White Lotus out once. If they are not better than their predecessors, we can always commit ourselves never to go back.

Manny Cherkas

-

Fred

Re: White Lotus Restaurant in down town San Jose

I actually disagree. At least when they were under the old management. The portions were small and the prices were high. The service was horrible and the staff was unfriendly. I work downtown and I have been to the place about 5 times and every time I go there I tell myself that I am never going back. I often walk right past the place and get a veggie burrito next door. It is fast, friendly, and only five bucks, plus all the chips and salsa you want. Even when the place is empty, it takes White Lotus 40 minutes to serve a meal and then it costs $12, after they charge you an extra $1.50 for the another small helping of brown rice. It is a good location for a vegetarian restaurant and the food is okay, but these guys don't have a clue when it comes to service or value.--Fred Schwinn , "Manny Cherkas" <m_cherkas@h...>

wrote:> I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment. We really should try to help the White Lotus stay in business.> > I would be happy to participate in a group dinner there and will also make it a point to visit there more frequently.> > Manny Cherkas

> - > Miriam Leiseroff > > Friday, February 18, 2005 3:15 PM> White Lotus Restaurant in down town San Jose> > > Dear Fellow South Bay Veggies,> > Recently, I have been going to the White Lotus on Market Street in San Jose. They changed ownership and the new management is struggling very much to get people to come and eat at their restaurant. My friend and I were there on a Saturday night and the place was hardly full. Today, I went there for lunch around 11:45 AM and one should think the place would be packed. Besides me, there were TWO other people. That is really sad! This is a wonderful restaurant and they have a great selection on their menu. Almost

everything is vegan except a couple of their desserts are dairy.> > I would like to suggest to have one of our group dinners there. I asked the owner, if she was familiar with the South Bay Veggie Group and she is. I would really like to see this restaurant flourish and will do my part to support it. > > Your feed-back is most welcome!> > Thanks,> Miriam F. Leiseroff> > > >