IndiaDivine.org

veggie dinner

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I went out for that dinner last night with my vegan friend and her three vegetarian friends. This is the first time I have eaten out with vegetarians since switching from being a vegetarian to a vegan myself! I just hadn't appreciated what a big leap I had made to being a vegan. I had absolutely nothing in common with those vegetarians last night and I can hardly believe I'm saying this! The food they were eating - tonnes of dairy, chocolate etc led onto conversations onto these foods which they were drooling about and I felt we were poles apart. To me they were just like meat eaters because they glorified dairy products so much. Maybe Lesley is right, the only time you truly feel comfortable is around vegans. I did find myself spending most of the evening talking to my vegan friend as not only were our dinners similar, but so were our conversations.

Maybe this is an unhealthy attitude to adopt but its just how I felt. :-)

Janey

x

Guest guest

I do certainly feel happier around vegans, but I have to say I am mostly fairly OK around vegetarians if they are respectful of vegans, it's meat-eaters I feel really awkward with.

I think vegetarians are making some effort, although to a great extent they are in denial, at least they are less so than meat-eaters and I have to remember when I was an aspiring vegan who was only vegetarian for nearly three years in my late teens. When I was a meat-eater I just think I was callous, but when I was veggie I did truly care. Mind you I didn't glorify the dairy, so maybe I was not like these people you ate with.

You said you enjoyed the garden party the other day and yet you were around meat-eaters then? Are you actually more comfortable with meat-eaters than lacto-veg people?

I'm a bit confused.

I would have thought you would like being around these people better than the usual meat-eating crowd.

At least you have your vegan friend anyway.

Lesley

Janey [janey]20 July 2002 08:55 Subject: veggie dinner

I went out for that dinner last night with my vegan friend and her three vegetarian friends. This is the first time I have eaten out with vegetarians since switching from being a vegetarian to a vegan myself! I just hadn't appreciated what a big leap I had made to being a vegan. I had absolutely nothing in common with those vegetarians last night and I can hardly believe I'm saying this! The food they were eating - tonnes of dairy, chocolate etc led onto conversations onto these foods which they were drooling about and I felt we were poles apart. To me they were just like meat eaters because they glorified dairy products so much. Maybe Lesley is right, the only time you truly feel comfortable is around vegans. I did find myself spending most of the evening talking to my vegan friend as not only were our dinners similar, but so were our conversations.

Janey

x

To send an email to -

Guest guest

What did you eat Janey?

Jo

Janey

x

To send an email to -

Guest guest

No, I don't like being around meat eaters. I think I shared my experience of the barbeque I went to a couple of weeks ago. I try to keep as far away from people eating meat as possible.

The garden party was really *afternoon tea* - cakes etc.

I think last night they were drooling over how wonderful cheese, cream etc was and I found that strange. I was a vegetarian for nine years so I'm not frowning upon them, just noticing how big a leap vegetarianism to veganism is. :-)

Janey

x

-

Lesley Dove

Saturday, July 20, 2002 12:50 PM

RE: veggie dinner

I do certainly feel happier around vegans, but I have to say I am mostly fairly OK around vegetarians if they are respectful of vegans, it's meat-eaters I feel really awkward with.

I think vegetarians are making some effort, although to a great extent they are in denial, at least they are less so than meat-eaters and I have to remember when I was an aspiring vegan who was only vegetarian for nearly three years in my late teens. When I was a meat-eater I just think I was callous, but when I was veggie I did truly care. Mind you I didn't glorify the dairy, so maybe I was not like these people you ate with.

You said you enjoyed the garden party the other day and yet you were around meat-eaters then? Are you actually more comfortable with meat-eaters than lacto-veg people?

I'm a bit confused.

I would have thought you would like being around these people better than the usual meat-eating crowd.

At least you have your vegan friend anyway.

Lesley

Janey [janey]20 July 2002 08:55 Subject: veggie dinner

Janey

x

To send an email to -