UK: August 1, 2002

LONDON - Dogs are probably much cleverer than most people think, according to a

new study.

Scientists are convinced that dogs can count and researchers at the University

of California Davis say they try to convey different messages through the pitch

and pace of their barks.

" Animal behaviourists used to think their bark was simply a way of getting

attention. Now a new study suggests that individual dogs have specific barks

with a range of meanings, " New Scientist magazine said yesterday.

Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are separated from their

owners and a lower, harsher superbark when strangers approach or the doorbell

rings, according to Sophia Yin, an animal behaviourist at the university.

Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced.

Dogs also know when they are being short-changed on treats because they have a

basic mathematical ability which enables them to tell when one pile of objects

is bigger than another.

" But to count, an animal has to recognise that each object in a set corresponds

to a single number and that the last number in a sequence represents the total

number of objects, " New Scientist added.

Robert Young of Brazil's Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais in Belo

Horizonte, tested the theory on 11 mongrels using dog treats.

The canines were shown treats and then a screen was lowered and the goodies were

left as they were or some were added or taken away.

If a treat was added or taken away the dogs looked at the treats much longer

than they did when the goodies were not disturbed, presumably because they had

done their sums and the numbers did not meet their expectations.

" Dogs are descended from wolves, which not only have a large neocortex - the

brain's centre of reasoning - but live in large social groups, " the magazine

said.

Young believes the mathematical ability could have been used to work out how

many allies and enemies they had in a pack.

REUTERS NEWS SERVICE

Guest guest

Pugs count their babies. I'm sure other dogs do, too, but I've witnessed pugs doing it. They know if one is missing and will look all around the room for it until it is returned -- or you need to show them if a puppy has died so they don't keep looking for it :(

-- jojo (who is currently lurking because she has to pack -- I am moving to NJ on Saturday!!!)

EBbrewpunx wrote:

hey, we've done worse...Dogs may be more intelligent than people may think-- Mail this story to a friend | Printer friendly version UK: August 1, 2002LONDON - Dogs are probably much cleverer than most people think, according to a new study. Scientists are convinced that dogs can count and researchers at the University of California Davis say they try to convey different messages through the pitch and pace of their barks."Animal behaviourists used to think their bark was simply a way of getting attention. Now a new study suggests that individual dogs have specific barks with a range of meanings," New Scientist magazine said yesterday.Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are separated from their owners and a lower, harsher superbark when strangers approach or the doorbell rings, according to Sophia Yin, an animal behaviourist at the university.Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced.Dogs also know when they are being short-changed on treats because they have a basic mathematical ability which enables them to tell when one pile of objects is bigger than another."But to count, an animal has to recognise that each object in a set corresponds to a single number and that the last number in a sequence represents the total number of objects," New Scientist added.Robert Young of Brazil's Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais in Belo Horizonte, tested the theory on 11 mongrels using dog treats.The canines were shown treats and then a screen was lowered and the goodies were left as they were or some were added or taken away.If a treat was added or taken away the dogs looked at the treats much longer than they did when the goodies were not disturbed, presumably because they had done their sums and the numbers did not meet their expectations."Dogs are descended from wolves, which not only have a large neocortex - the brain's centre of reasoning - but live in large social groups," the magazine said.Young believes the mathematical ability could have been used to work out how many allies and enemies they had in a pack. REUTERS NEWS SERVICE To send an email to -

Guest guest

and whine and cry and throw a fit if they can't find one...

have fun in joisey!

which exit again?

*giggle*

fraggle

*probably not as funny as he thinks he is*

jojo <tofujojo wrote:

>

>Pugs count their babies.  I'm sure other dogs do, too, but I've witnessed pugs

doing it.  They know if one is missing and will look all around the room for it

until it is returned -- or you need to show them if a puppy has died so they

don't keep looking for it :(

>-- jojo (who is currently lurking because she has to pack -- I am moving to NJ

on Saturday!!!)

>

> EBbrewpunx wrote:hey, we've done worse...

>

>Dogs may be more intelligent than people may think

>-\

-

>  

>Mail this story to a friend | Printer friendly version

>

>UK: August 1, 2002

>

>

>LONDON - Dogs are probably much cleverer than most people think, according to a

new study.

>

>

>Scientists are convinced that dogs can count and researchers at the University

and pace of their barks.

> " Animal behaviourists used to think their bark was simply a way of getting

>

>Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are separated from their

>

>Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced.

>

>Dogs also know when they are being short-changed on treats because they have a

is bigger than another.

>

> " But to count, an animal has to recognise that each object in a set corresponds

>

>Robert Young of Brazil's Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais in Belo

>

>The canines were shown treats and then a screen was lowered and the goodies

were left as they were or some were added or taken away.

>

>If a treat was added or taken away the dogs looked at the treats much longer

>

> " Dogs are descended from wolves, which not only have a large neocortex - the

said.

>

>Young believes the mathematical ability could have been used to work out how

>

>

>

>REUTERS NEWS SERVICE  

>

>

>

Guest guest

>>and whine and cry and throw a fit if they can't find one...<<

Well, wouldn't you :)? Actually they pace around nervously and stress themselves out. Poor mama pugs :(

-- jojo

EBbrewpunx wrote:

and whine and cry and throw a fit if they can't find one...have fun in joisey!which exit again?*giggle*fraggle*probably not as funny as he thinks he is*jojo <tofujojo wrote:>>Pugs count their babies. I'm sure other dogs do, too, but I've witnessed pugs doing it. They know if one is missing and will look all around the room for it until it is returned -- or you need to show them if a puppy has died so they don't keep looking for it :(>-- jojo (who is currently lurking because she has to pack -- I am moving to NJ on Saturday!!!)> > EBbrewpunx wrote:hey, we've done worse...>>Dogs may be more intelligent than people may think>--> >Mail this story to a friend | Printer friendly version >>UK: August 1, 2002>>>LONDON - Dogs are probably much cleverer than most people think, according to a new study. >>>Scientists are convinced that dogs can count and researchers at the University of California Davis say they try to convey different messages through the pitch and pace of their barks.>"Animal behaviourists used to think their bark was simply a way of getting attention. Now a new study suggests that individual dogs have specific barks with a range of meanings," New Scientist magazine said yesterday.>>Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are separated from their owners and a lower, harsher superbark when strangers approach or the doorbell rings, according to Sophia Yin, an animal behaviourist at the university.>>Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced.>>Dogs also know when they are being short-changed on treats because they have a basic mathematical ability which enables them to tell when one pile of objects is bigger than another.>>"But to count, an animal has to recognise that each object in a set corresponds to a single number and that the last number in a sequence represents the total number of objects," New Scientist added.>>Robert Young of Brazil's Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais in Belo Horizonte, tested the theory on 11 mongrels using dog treats.>>The canines were shown treats and then a screen was lowered and the goodies were left as they were or some were added or taken away.>>If a treat was added or taken away the dogs looked at the treats much longer than they did when the goodies were not disturbed, presumably because they had done their sums and the numbers did not meet their expectations.>>"Dogs are descended from wolves, which not only have a large neocortex - the brain's centre of reasoning - but live in large social groups," the magazine said.>>Young believes the mathematical ability could have been used to work out how many allies and enemies they had in a pack. >>>>REUTERS NEWS SERVICE >>>

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

> lassie fer president!!!

Nah - I can't see that. For a start, dog's are generally trustworthy ;-)

> Dogs may be more intelligent than people may think

Hey - that makes a big assumption about how intelligent people think dogs

are!!!

> Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are separated from

their owners and a lower, harsher superbark when

> strangers approach or the doorbell rings, according to Sophia Yin, an

animal behaviourist at the university.

> Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced.

And it took scientific researchers to work this one out? I really must take

up science. Most of it seems to be about stating the b****ing obvious and

then claiming you've discovered it!

BB

Peter

---

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.375 / Virus Database: 210 - Release 10/07/02

Guest guest

and then patenting it....

>

>And it took scientific researchers to work this one out? I really must take

>up science. Most of it seems to be about stating the b****ing obvious and

>then claiming you've discovered it!

>

>BB

>Peter

>

>

>---

>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

>Version: 6.0.375 / Virus Database: 210 - Release 10/07/02

>

>

>To send an email to -

>

>

Guest guest

Jojo

I hope your move goes smoothly - and wish you well for your new home. Don't stay away from the list for too long.

Jo

Pugs count their babies. I'm sure other dogs do, too, but I've witnessed pugs doing it. They know if one is missing and will look all around the room for it until it is returned -- or you need to show them if a puppy has died so they don't keep looking for it :( -- jojo (who is currently lurking because she has to pack -- I am moving to NJ on Saturday!!!) EBbrewpunx wrote: hey, we've done worse...Dogs may be more intelligent than people may think-- Mail this story to a friend | Printer friendly version UK: August 1, 2002LONDON - Dogs are probably much cleverer than most people think, according to a new study. Scientists are convinced that dogs can count and researchers at the University of California Davis say they try to convey different messages through the pitch and pace of their barks."Animal behaviourists used to think their bark was simply a way of getting attention. Now a new study suggests that individual dogs have specific barks with a range of meanings," New Scientist magazine said yesterday.Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are separated from their owners and a lower, harsher superbark when strangers approach or the doorbell rings, according to Sophia Yin, an animal behaviourist at the university.Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced.Dogs also know when they are being short-changed on treats because they have a basic mathematical ability which enables them to tell when one pile of objects is bigger than another."But to count, an animal has to recognise that each object in a set corresponds to a single number and that the last number in a sequence represents the total number of objects," New Scientist added.Robert Young of Brazil's Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais in Belo Horizonte, tested the theory on 11 mongrels using dog treats.The canines were shown treats and then a screen was lowered and the goodies were left as they were or some were added or taken away.If a treat was added or taken away the dogs looked at the treats much longer than they did when the goodies were not disturbed, presumably because they had done their sums and the numbers did not meet their expectations."Dogs are descended from wolves, which not only have a large neocortex - the brain's centre of reasoning - but live in large social groups," the magazine said.Young believes the mathematical ability could have been used to work out how many allies and enemies they had in a pack. REUTERS NEWS SERVICE To send an email to -

Guest guest

Thank you so much, Jo :)!!!

I may be without access for a couple of weeks and am *not* looking forward to it at all -- whatever will I do with myself?!

-- jojo

Heartwork wrote:

Jojo

I hope your move goes smoothly - and wish you well for your new home. Don't stay away from the list for too long.

Jo

Pugs count their babies. I'm sure other dogs do, too, but I've witnessed pugs doing it. They know if one is missing and will look all around the room for it until it is returned -- or you need to show them if a puppy has died so they don't keep looking for it :( -- jojo (who is currently lurking because she has to pack -- I am moving to NJ on Saturday!!!)

EBbrewpunx wrote: hey, we've done worse...Dogs may be more intelligent than people may think-- Mail this story to a friend | Printer friendly version UK: August 1, 2002LONDON - Dogs are probably much cleverer than most people think, according to a new study. Scientists are convinced that dogs can count and researchers at the University of California Davis say they try to convey different messages through the pitch and pace of their barks."Animal behaviourists used to think their bark was simply a way of getting attention. Now a new study suggests that individual dogs have specific barks with a range of meanings," New Scientist magazine said yesterday.Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are separated from their owners and a lower, harsher superbark when strangers approach or the doorbell rings, according to Sophia Yin, an animal behaviourist at the university.Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced.Dogs also know when they are being short-changed on treats because they have a basic mathematical ability which enables them to tell when one pile of objects is bigger than another."But to count, an animal has to recognise that each object in a set corresponds to a single number and that the last number in a sequence represents the total number of objects," New Scientist added.Robert Young of Brazil's Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais in Belo Horizonte, tested the theory on 11 mongrels using dog treats.The canines were shown treats and then a screen was lowered and the goodies were left as they were or some were added or taken away.If a treat was added or taken away the dogs looked at the treats much longer than they did when the goodies were not disturbed, presumably because they had done their sums and the numbers did not meet their expectations."Dogs are descended from wolves, which not only have a large neocortex - the brain's centre of reasoning - but live in large social groups," the magazine said.Young believes the mathematical ability could have been used to work out how many allies and enemies they had in a pack. REUTERS NEWS SERVICE To send an email to -

Guest guest

Good Luck JoJo! Have a safe trip!

Where are you moving from?

nikki :)

, " Heartwork " <Heartwork@b...> wrote:

> Jojo

>

> I hope your move goes smoothly - and wish you well for your new

home. Don't stay away from the list for too long.

>

> Jo

>

> Pugs count their babies. I'm sure other dogs do, too, but I've

witnessed pugs doing it. They know if one is missing and will look

all around the room for it until it is returned -- or you need to

show them if a puppy has died so they don't keep looking for it :(

>

> -- jojo (who is currently lurking because she has to pack -- I am

moving to NJ on Saturday!!!)

>

>

>

> EBbrewpunx@c... wrote:

>

> hey, we've done worse...

>

> Dogs may be more intelligent than people may think

> -------------------------------

----------------

>

> Mail this story to a friend | Printer friendly version

>

> UK: August 1, 2002

>

>

> LONDON - Dogs are probably much cleverer than most people

think, according to a new study.

>

>

> Scientists are convinced that dogs can count and researchers at

the University of California Davis say they try to convey different

messages through the pitch and pace of their barks.

> " Animal behaviourists used to think their bark was simply a way

of getting attention. Now a new study suggests that individual dogs

have specific barks with a range of meanings, " New Scientist magazine

said yesterday.

>

> Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are

separated from their owners and a lower, harsher superbark when

strangers approach or the doorbell rings, according to Sophia Yin, an

animal behaviourist at the university.

>

> Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced.

>

> Dogs also know when they are being short-changed on treats

because they have a basic mathematical ability which enables them to

tell when one pile of objects is bigger than another.

>

> " But to count, an animal has to recognise that each object in a

set corresponds to a single number and that the last number in a

sequence represents the total number of objects, " New Scientist added.

>

> Robert Young of Brazil's Pontifical Catholic University of

Minas Gerais in Belo Horizonte, tested the theory on 11 mongrels

using dog treats.

>

> The canines were shown treats and then a screen was lowered and

the goodies were left as they were or some were added or taken away.

>

> If a treat was added or taken away the dogs looked at the

treats much longer than they did when the goodies were not disturbed,

presumably because they had done their sums and the numbers did not

meet their expectations.

>

> " Dogs are descended from wolves, which not only have a large

neocortex - the brain's centre of reasoning - but live in large

social groups, " the magazine said.

>

> Young believes the mathematical ability could have been used to

work out how many allies and enemies they had in a pack.

>

>

>

> REUTERS NEWS SERVICE

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

Guest guest

Thank you, Nikki :) I'm moving from the eastern side of Long Island, NY. (Not Long Island City, mind you, but the skinny long island that stretches out at the base of the state...it's a silly vacation area for the over-privileged) -- jojo nikki_mackovitch wrote: Good Luck JoJo! Have a safe trip!Where are you moving from?nikki :), "Heartwork" <Heartwork@b...> wrote:> Jojo> > I hope your move goes smoothly - and wish you well for your new home. Don't stay away from the list for too long.> > Jo> > Pugs count their babies. I'm sure other dogs do, too, but I've witnessed pugs doing it. They know if one is missing and will look all around the room for it until it is returned -- or you need to show them if a puppy has died so they don't keep looking for it :( > > -- jojo (who is currently lurking because she has to pack -- I am moving to NJ on Saturday!!!) > > > > EBbrewpunx@c... wrote: > > hey, we've done worse...> > Dogs may be more intelligent than people may think> --> > Mail this story to a friend | Printer friendly version > > UK: August 1, 2002> > > LONDON - Dogs are probably much cleverer than most people think, according to a new study. > > > Scientists are convinced that dogs can count and researchers at the University of California Davis say they try to convey different messages through the pitch and pace of their barks.> "Animal behaviourists used to think their bark was simply a way of getting attention. Now a new study suggests that individual dogs have specific barks with a range of meanings," New Scientist magazine said yesterday.> > Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are separated from their owners and a lower, harsher superbark when strangers approach or the doorbell rings, according to Sophia Yin, an animal behaviourist at the university.> > Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced.> > Dogs also know when they are being short-changed on treats because they have a basic mathematical ability which enables them to tell when one pile of objects is bigger than another.> > "But to count, an animal has to recognise that each object in a set corresponds to a single number and that the last number in a sequence represents the total number of objects," New Scientist added.> > Robert Young of Brazil's Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais in Belo Horizonte, tested the theory on 11 mongrels using dog treats.> > The canines were shown treats and then a screen was lowered and the goodies were left as they were or some were added or taken away.> > If a treat was added or taken away the dogs looked at the treats much longer than they did when the goodies were not disturbed, presumably because they had done their sums and the numbers did not meet their expectations.> > "Dogs are descended from wolves, which not only have a large neocortex - the brain's centre of reasoning - but live in large social groups," the magazine said.> > Young believes the mathematical ability could have been used to work out how many allies and enemies they had in a pack. > > > > REUTERS NEWS SERVICE > > > > To send an email to - > >

Guest guest

read

skip

bounce

daydream

get yer sanity back

pillage

the list is endless really

the question, wot will we do without you!

:)

cheers

fraggle

jojo <tofujojo wrote:

>

>Thank you so much, Jo :)!!!

>I may be without access for a couple of weeks and am *not* looking forward to

it at all -- whatever will I do with myself?!

>-- jojo

> Heartwork wrote:Jojo I hope your move goes smoothly - and wish you well for

your new home.  Don't stay away from the list for too long. Jo

>Pugs count their babies.  I'm sure other dogs do, too, but I've witnessed pugs

>-- jojo (who is currently lurking because she has to pack -- I am moving to NJ

on Saturday!!!)

>

> EBbrewpunx wrote: hey, we've done worse...

>

>Dogs may be more intelligent than people may think

>-\

-

>  

>Mail this story to a friend | Printer friendly version

>

>UK: August 1, 2002

>

>

>LONDON - Dogs are probably much cleverer than most people think, according to a

new study.

>

>

>Scientists are convinced that dogs can count and researchers at the University

and pace of their barks.

> " Animal behaviourists used to think their bark was simply a way of getting

>

>Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are separated from their

>

>Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced.

>

>Dogs also know when they are being short-changed on treats because they have a

is bigger than another.

>

> " But to count, an animal has to recognise that each object in a set corresponds

>

>Robert Young of Brazil's Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais in Belo

>

>The canines were shown treats and then a screen was lowered and the goodies

>

>If a treat was added or taken away the dogs looked at the treats much longer

>

> " Dogs are descended from wolves, which not only have a large neocortex - the

said.

>

>Young believes the mathematical ability could have been used to work out how

>

>

>

>REUTERS NEWS SERVICE  

>

>

>

>To send an email to -

>

>

Guest guest

*blushes*

awwwww..... :)!

Thank you for the suggestions, fraggle. You are absolutely right -- there are a million other things I could be doing. But I will still miss everyone just the same :(

-- jojo

EBbrewpunx wrote:

readskipbouncedaydreamget yer sanity backpillagethe list is endless reallythe question, wot will we do without you!:)cheersfragglejojo <tofujojo wrote:>>Thank you so much, Jo :)!!!>I may be without access for a couple of weeks and am *not* looking forward to it at all -- whatever will I do with myself?!>-- jojo> Heartwork wrote:Jojo I hope your move goes smoothly - and wish you well for your new home. Don't stay away from the list for too long. Jo >Pugs count their babies. I'm sure other dogs do, too, but I've witnessed pugs doing it. They know if one is missing and will look all around the room for it until it is returned -- or you need to show them if a puppy has died so they don't keep looking for it :( >-- jojo (who is currently lurking because she has to pack -- I am moving to NJ on Saturday!!!) >> EBbrewpunx wrote: hey, we've done worse...>>Dogs may be more intelligent than people may think>--> >Mail this story to a friend | Printer friendly version >>UK: August 1, 2002>>>LONDON - Dogs are probably much cleverer than most people think, according to a new study. >>>Scientists are convinced that dogs can count and researchers at the University of California Davis say they try to convey different messages through the pitch and pace of their barks.>"Animal behaviourists used to think their bark was simply a way of getting attention. Now a new study suggests that individual dogs have specific barks with a range of meanings," New Scientist magazine said yesterday.>>Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are separated from their owners and a lower, harsher superbark when strangers approach or the doorbell rings, according to Sophia Yin, an animal behaviourist at the university.>>Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced.>>Dogs also know when they are being short-changed on treats because they have a basic mathematical ability which enables them to tell when one pile of objects is bigger than another.>>"But to count, an animal has to recognise that each object in a set corresponds to a single number and that the last number in a sequence represents the total number of objects," New Scientist added.>>Robert Young of Brazil's Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais in Belo Horizonte, tested the theory on 11 mongrels using dog treats.>>The canines were shown treats and then a screen was lowered and the goodies were left as they were or some were added or taken away.>>If a treat was added or taken away the dogs looked at the treats much longer than they did when the goodies were not disturbed, presumably because they had done their sums and the numbers did not meet their expectations.>>"Dogs are descended from wolves, which not only have a large neocortex - the brain's centre of reasoning - but live in large social groups," the magazine said.>>Young believes the mathematical ability could have been used to work out how many allies and enemies they had in a pack. >>>>REUTERS NEWS SERVICE >>>>To send an email to - >>

Guest guest

i wonder wot i did before i had a computer....

*scratches head*

i never had been on the internet before 1999....

addictive lil bugger ain't it..

is there a 12 step program for it? do i need to get like web tv or something to

help ween myself away from it??

maaaan..i don't have a problem..i can quit anytime....

say, can i check my e-mail?

fraggle

jojo <tofujojo wrote:

>

>*blushes*

>awwwww..... :)!

>Thank you for the suggestions, fraggle.  You are absolutely right -- there are

a million other things I could be doing.  But I will still miss everyone just

the same :(

>-- jojo

> EBbrewpunx wrote:

>read

>skip

>bounce

>daydream

>get yer sanity back

>pillage

>the list is endless really

>the question, wot will we do without you!

>:)

>cheers

>fraggle

>

>jojo <tofujojo wrote:

>

>>

>>Thank you so much, Jo :)!!!

>>I may be without access for a couple of weeks and am *not* looking forward to

>>-- jojo

>> Heartwork wrote:Jojo I hope your move goes smoothly - and wish you well for

>>Pugs count their babies.  I'm sure other dogs do, too, but I've witnessed pugs

>>-- jojo (who is currently lurking because she has to pack -- I am moving to NJ

on Saturday!!!)

>>

>> EBbrewpunx wrote: hey, we've done worse...

>>

>>Dogs may be more intelligent than people may think

>>\

--

>>  

>>Mail this story to a friend | Printer friendly version

>>

>>UK: August 1, 2002

>>

>>

>>LONDON - Dogs are probably much cleverer than most people think, according to

a new study.

>>

>>

>>Scientists are convinced that dogs can count and researchers at the University

and pace of their barks.

>> " Animal behaviourists used to think their bark was simply a way of getting

>>

>>Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are separated from their

>>

>>Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced.

>>

>>Dogs also know when they are being short-changed on treats because they have a

is bigger than another.

>>

>> " But to count, an animal has to recognise that each object in a set

corresponds to a single number and that the last number in a sequence represents

the total number of objects, " New Scientist added.

>>

>>Robert Young of Brazil's Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais in

Belo Horizonte, tested the theory on 11 mongrels using dog treats.

>>

>>The canines were shown treats and then a screen was lowered and the goodies

>>

>>If a treat was added or taken away the dogs looked at the treats much longer

>>

>> " Dogs are descended from wolves, which not only have a large neocortex - the

said.

>>

>>Young believes the mathematical ability could have been used to work out how

>>

>>

>>

>>REUTERS NEWS SERVICE  

>>

>>

>>

>>To send an email to -

>>

>>

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

> is there a 12 step program for it? do i need to get like web tv or

something to help ween myself away from it??

I believe you can get patches :-)

I guess after a pun like that I'd better go and hide for a bit....

BB

Peter

---

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.375 / Virus Database: 210 - Release 10/07/02

Guest guest

That was about the time I started, too. 1998 or 1999.

I taught myself web design, animation, graphic design, scripting, etc and did my website all by myself! That's my pride and joy -- have you seen the game on the website where you can dress up Rhesus?

http://www.tofu2go.com/dressup_rhesus.htm

that should keep you entertained for all of 5 seconds.

:)

jojo

EBbrewpunx wrote:

i wonder wot i did before i had a computer....*scratches head*i never had been on the internet before 1999....addictive lil bugger ain't it..is there a 12 step program for it? do i need to get like web tv or something to help ween myself away from it??maaaan..i don't have a problem..i can quit anytime....say, can i check my e-mail?fragglejojo <tofujojo wrote:>>*blushes*>awwwww..... :)!>Thank you for the suggestions, fraggle. You are absolutely right -- there are a million other things I could be doing. But I will still miss everyone just the same :(>-- jojo> EBbrewpunx wrote:>read>skip>bounce>daydream>get yer sanity back>pillage>the list is endless really>the question, wot will we do without you!>:)>cheers>fraggle>>jojo <tofujojo wrote:>>>>>Thank you so much, Jo :)!!!>>I may be without access for a couple of weeks and am *not* looking forward to it at all -- whatever will I do with myself?!>>-- jojo>> Heartwork wrote:Jojo I hope your move goes smoothly - and wish you well for your new home. Don't stay away from the list for too long. Jo >>Pugs count their babies. I'm sure other dogs do, too, but I've witnessed pugs doing it. They know if one is missing and will look all around the room for it until it is returned -- or you need to show them if a puppy has died so they don't keep looking for it :( >>-- jojo (who is currently lurking because she has to pack -- I am moving to NJ on Saturday!!!) >>>> EBbrewpunx wrote: hey, we've done worse...>>>>Dogs may be more intelligent than people may think>>-->> >>Mail this story to a friend | Printer friendly version >>>>UK: August 1, 2002>>>>>>LONDON - Dogs are probably much cleverer than most people think, according to a new study. >>>>>>Scientists are convinced that dogs can count and researchers at the University of California Davis say they try to convey different messages through the pitch and pace of their barks.>>"Animal behaviourists used to think their bark was simply a way of getting attention. Now a new study suggests that individual dogs have specific barks with a range of meanings," New Scientist magazine said yesterday.>>>>Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are separated from their owners and a lower, harsher superbark when strangers approach or the doorbell rings, according to Sophia Yin, an animal behaviourist at the university.>>>>Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced.>>>>Dogs also know when they are being short-changed on treats because they have a basic mathematical ability which enables them to tell when one pile of objects is bigger than another.>>>>"But to count, an animal has to recognise that each object in a set corresponds to a single number and that the last number in a sequence represents the total number of objects," New Scientist added.>>>>Robert Young of Brazil's Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais in Belo Horizonte, tested the theory on 11 mongrels using dog treats.>>>>The canines were shown treats and then a screen was lowered and the goodies were left as they were or some were added or taken away.>>>>If a treat was added or taken away the dogs looked at the treats much longer than they did when the goodies were not disturbed, presumably because they had done their sums and the numbers did not meet their expectations.>>>>"Dogs are descended from wolves, which not only have a large neocortex - the brain's centre of reasoning - but live in large social groups," the magazine said.>>>>Young believes the mathematical ability could have been used to work out how many allies and enemies they had in a pack. >>>>>>>>REUTERS NEWS SERVICE >>>>>>>>To send an email to - >>>>

Guest guest

whhhhhheeee

now..wot are those pink olive thingees on the right fer??

eyes and testes come in pairs genrally..soo..i'm a bit lost...and lolipops have

sticks...

small pox nodules??

fraggle

jojo <tofujojo wrote:

>

>That was about the time I started, too. 1998 or 1999.

>I taught myself web design, animation, graphic design, scripting, etc and did

my website all by myself!  That's my pride and joy -- have you seen the game on

the website where you can dress up Rhesus?

>http://www.tofu2go.com/dressup_rhesus.htm

>that should keep you entertained for all of 5 seconds.

>:)

>jojo

> EBbrewpunx wrote:i wonder wot i did before i had a computer....

>*scratches head*

>i never had been on the internet before 1999....

>addictive lil bugger ain't it..

>is there a 12 step program for it? do i need to get like web tv or something to

help ween myself away from it??

>maaaan..i don't have a problem..i can quit anytime....

>say, can i check my e-mail?

>

>fraggle

>

>

>jojo <tofujojo wrote:

>

>>

>>*blushes*

>>awwwww..... :)!

>>Thank you for the suggestions, fraggle.  You are absolutely right -- there are

a million other things I could be doing.  But I will still miss everyone just

the same :(

>>-- jojo

>> EBbrewpunx wrote:

>>read

>>skip

>>bounce

>>daydream

>>get yer sanity back

>>pillage

>>the list is endless really

>>the question, wot will we do without you!

>>:)

>>cheers

>>fraggle

>>

>>jojo <tofujojo wrote:

>>

>>>

>>>Thank you so much, Jo :)!!!

>>>I may be without access for a couple of weeks and am *not* looking forward to

>>>-- jojo

>>> Heartwork wrote:Jojo I hope your move goes smoothly - and wish you well for

>>>Pugs count their babies.  I'm sure other dogs do, too, but I've witnessed

pugs doing it.  They know if one is missing and will look all around the room

for it until it is returned -- or you need to show them if a puppy has died so

they don't keep looking for it :(

>>>-- jojo (who is currently lurking because she has to pack -- I am moving to

NJ on Saturday!!!)

>>>

>>> EBbrewpunx wrote: hey, we've done worse...

>>>

>>>Dogs may be more intelligent than people may think

>>>-----------\

---

>>>  

>>>Mail this story to a friend | Printer friendly version

>>>

>>>UK: August 1, 2002

>>>

>>>

>>>LONDON - Dogs are probably much cleverer than most people think, according to

a new study.

>>>

>>>

>>>Scientists are convinced that dogs can count and researchers at the

University of California Davis say they try to convey different messages through

the pitch and pace of their barks.

>>> " Animal behaviourists used to think their bark was simply a way of getting

>>>

>>>Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are separated from their

>>>

>>>Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced.

>>>

>>>Dogs also know when they are being short-changed on treats because they have

a basic mathematical ability which enables them to tell when one pile of objects

is bigger than another.

>>>

>>> " But to count, an animal has to recognise that each object in a set

corresponds to a single number and that the last number in a sequence represents

the total number of objects, " New Scientist added.

>>>

>>>Robert Young of Brazil's Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais in

Belo Horizonte, tested the theory on 11 mongrels using dog treats.

>>>

>>>The canines were shown treats and then a screen was lowered and the goodies

>>>

>>>If a treat was added or taken away the dogs looked at the treats much longer

>>>

>>> " Dogs are descended from wolves, which not only have a large neocortex - the

said.

>>>

>>>Young believes the mathematical ability could have been used to work out how

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>REUTERS NEWS SERVICE  

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>To send an email to -

>>>

>>>

Guest guest

They're little bubbles -- you can put them around her mouth or above her head. Rhesus has little space-out episodes and that is where I came up with the idea... She just sort of stands there in a trance...

Yep! She's my *special* girl :)

-- jojo

EBbrewpunx wrote:

whhhhhheeeenow..wot are those pink olive thingees on the right fer??eyes and testes come in pairs genrally..soo..i'm a bit lost...and lolipops have sticks...small pox nodules??fragglejojo <tofujojo wrote:>>That was about the time I started, too. 1998 or 1999.>I taught myself web design, animation, graphic design, scripting, etc and did my website all by myself! That's my pride and joy -- have you seen the game on the website where you can dress up Rhesus?>http://www.tofu2go.com/dressup_rhesus.htm>that should keep you entertained for all of 5 seconds.>:)>jojo> EBbrewpunx wrote:i wonder wot i did before i had a computer....>*scratches head*>i never had been on the internet before 1999....>addictive lil bugger ain't it..>is there a 12 step program for it? do i need to get like web tv or something to help ween myself away from it??>maaaan..i don't have a problem..i can quit anytime....>say, can i check my e-mail?>>fraggle>>>jojo <tofujojo wrote:>>>>>*blushes*>>awwwww..... :)!>>Thank you for the suggestions, fraggle. You are absolutely right -- there are a million other things I could be doing. But I will still miss everyone just the same :(>>-- jojo>> EBbrewpunx wrote:>>read>>skip>>bounce>>daydream>>get yer sanity back>>pillage>>the list is endless really>>the question, wot will we do without you!>>:)>>cheers>>fraggle>>>>jojo <tofujojo wrote:>>>>>>>>Thank you so much, Jo :)!!!>>>I may be without access for a couple of weeks and am *not* looking forward to it at all -- whatever will I do with myself?!>>>-- jojo>>> Heartwork wrote:Jojo I hope your move goes smoothly - and wish you well for your new home. Don't stay away from the list for too long. Jo >>>Pugs count their babies. I'm sure other dogs do, too, but I've witnessed pugs doing it. They know if one is missing and will look all around the room for it until it is returned -- or you need to show them if a puppy has died so they don't keep looking for it :( >>>-- jojo (who is currently lurking because she has to pack -- I am moving to NJ on Saturday!!!) >>>>>> EBbrewpunx wrote: hey, we've done worse...>>>>>>Dogs may be more intelligent than people may think>>>-->>> >>>Mail this story to a friend | Printer friendly version >>>>>>UK: August 1, 2002>>>>>>>>>LONDON - Dogs are probably much cleverer than most people think, according to a new study. >>>>>>>>>Scientists are convinced that dogs can count and researchers at the University of California Davis say they try to convey different messages through the pitch and pace of their barks.>>>"Animal behaviourists used to think their bark was simply a way of getting attention. Now a new study suggests that individual dogs have specific barks with a range of meanings," New Scientist magazine said yesterday.>>>>>>Dogs usually use high-pitched single barks when they are separated from their owners and a lower, harsher superbark when strangers approach or the doorbell rings, according to Sophia Yin, an animal behaviourist at the university.>>>>>>Playful woofs are high-pitched and unevenly spaced.>>>>>>Dogs also know when they are being short-changed on treats because they have a basic mathematical ability which enables them to tell when one pile of objects is bigger than another.>>>>>>"But to count, an animal has to recognise that each object in a set corresponds to a single number and that the last number in a sequence represents the total number of objects," New Scientist added.>>>>>>Robert Young of Brazil's Pontifical Catholic University of Minas Gerais in Belo Horizonte, tested the theory on 11 mongrels using dog treats.>>>>>>The canines were shown treats and then a screen was lowered and the goodies were left as they were or some were added or taken away.>>>>>>If a treat was added or taken away the dogs looked at the treats much longer than they did when the goodies were not disturbed, presumably because they had done their sums and the numbers did not meet their expectations.>>>>>>"Dogs are descended from wolves, which not only have a large neocortex - the brain's centre of reasoning - but live in large social groups," the magazine said.>>>>>>Young believes the mathematical ability could have been used to work out how many allies and enemies they had in a pack. >>>>>>>>>>>>REUTERS NEWS SERVICE >>>>>>>>>>>>To send an email to - >>>>>>