IndiaDivine.org

Newby

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Welcome Marisa. It's good to have you.

My family prefers Erewon pasta. It's a rice based pasta that comes in a

couple of noodle sizes. Tinkyada is very good as well, as is Notta

Pasta, but both of these are much more expensive than Erewon.

As far as treating food allergies goes, there is very little to show

that they respond to treatments like shots but there is some good work

going on in treating with sublingual drops. The theory goes that once a

person is a certain age, there is not much chance that the allergy will

go away (after about 8) but it's worth looking into.

I wonder is your wheat elimination going well or are you still having

symptoms, and were you tested just for wheat or for the whole array of

gluten grains?

BL

Risa Risa wrote:

>Hello. I am new to the board. I am happy that I found this group! I was just

diagnosed with wheat allergy in December and have a few questions.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the treatment for this other than not

eating wheat. Are there any shots or other treatments that can alleviate the

allergy?

>

>Thankfully, the health food stores in my area (Southern California) offer a

variety of wheat free items. I am still trying to figure out which foods/brands

taste the best. Can anyone recommend a good brand of pasta? I've been trying to

find a website that critiques the various brands/foods, but unfortunately

haven't had any luck finding one. Your recommendations would be greatly

appreciated.

>

>Thank you,

>Marisa

>

>

> Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time.

>

>

• 2 years later...
Guest guest

> I'm new here - my biggest question I have right now is we had been

> drinking soy milk and loving it - after some scary info I read on

> the affects of non-fermented soy products -

The scary effects are certainly debatable, but everyone needs to make

their own decisions.

> I decided to switch to almond milk - it is good but so expensive I

> was wondering if anyone knows of any bulk way/source of buying

> almond milk?

You can make it yourself from almonds - buy those in bulk. I haven't

made it but have seen it and it's very simple. Here's a recipe I

found online... oh and welcome to the group!

http://www.vegparadise.com/asknettie31.html

Guest guest

An easy way is to make it yourself. I buy raw almonds in the bulk section of

the market. If you get the skins on, you will need to blanch them and remove

the skins. Then just add 1/4 c almonds to 1 c water in the blender, and blend

for a really long time. You can add a little maple syrup if you wish, and can

adjust the ratio to find what suits your personal preference. Then strain out

the pulp, and drink.

As a bonus, the ground almond pulp makes a great body scrub!

Heather <hmj

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 5:21:54 PM

Newby

Hi all,

I'm new here - my biggest question I have right now is we had been drinking soy

milk and loving it - after some scary info I read on the affects of

non-fermented soy products - I decided to switch to almond milk - it is good but

so expensive I was wondering if anyone knows of any bulk way/source of buying

almond milk?

Looking forward to learning new recipes.

Heather

Work from home and live a healthier life! No selling, No Inventory, No

Parties.

Learn more, www.momexecs.com/cgi-bin/team.cgi?id=He34202 & action=show

Guest guest

Soy is a great product that has been given a bad reputation, without good

scientific research. To many are ready to jump on the band wagon and spread bad

info about soy. The internet has given a super highway for those who want to

spread bad rumors that discredit soy products.

Soy has been proven to be very good for so very many things and good scientific

research has verified that. Soy is a powerhouse of nutrition that is very good

for one. My mom makes wonderful soymilk with nothing but soybeans and water. I

am hoping to get one of those soon.

Almond Milk is good too. We love Rice Dream milk also. Better Than Milk is a

great powdered soy milk and they also make a Rice Milk.

-

Heather

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 5:21 PM

Newby

Hi all,

I'm new here - my biggest question I have right now is we had been drinking

soy milk and loving it - after some scary info I read on the affects of

non-fermented soy products - I decided to switch to almond milk - it is good but

so expensive I was wondering if anyone knows of any bulk way/source of buying

almond milk?

Looking forward to learning new recipes.

Heather

Work from home and live a healthier life! No selling, No Inventory, No

Parties.

Learn more, www.momexecs.com/cgi-bin/team.cgi?id=He34202 & action=show

Guest guest

> Soy is a great product that has been given a bad reputation, without

> good scientific research. To many are ready to jump on the band

> wagon and spread bad info about soy. The internet has given a super

> highway for those who want to spread bad rumors that discredit soy

> products.

A lot of the bad press comes from meat-supported industry research,

and some of it is from studies on soy isolate - many, many times, you

can't say a food will do bad things, but " research will show "

depending on teh statistician, whatever you want, and isolated

portions of things can e made to show lots of things.

In any case, I highly recommend reading " The China Study " to find out

how all the industry research is conducted, and just some excellent

health information from a man raised on a dairy farm, who started his

medical research promoting animal protein, and based on his reseach

and epidemiological studies, becamse vegetarian. I think it's a

must-read for anyone who wants to be healthy, not just vegetarians.

• 2 years later...
Guest guest

HI Trish

Welcome to Vegan Chat. I hope you enjoy it here. Don't be shy, it's

good to chat.

Jo

, " seeryus " <echolike wrote:

>

> Just joined. I don't have very many acquaintances who are

> vegetarians...and it is refreshing to be able to talk to people who

> understand. I have been vegetarian for about 25 years...and just

> beginning to have a problem with dairy and eggs.

>

> I believe vegetarianism is growing at a good pace. Many children

are

> now making the decision.

>

> One of my friends told me they decided not to buy leather furniture

> because they didn't like the idea of having cows provide it.

However,

> they continue to eat beef? Won't sit on a cow...but will eat it??

> Interesting....

>

> Trish

>

Guest guest

Re eggs - If egg is not fertilized...and apparently most are not...is it a chicken?--- On Wed, 7/30/08, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: Newby Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 1:50 AM

HI TrishWelcome to Vegan Chat. I hope you enjoy it here. Don't be shy, it's good to chat.Jo@gro ups.com, "seeryus" <echolike@.. .> wrote:>> Just joined. I don't have very many acquaintances who are > vegetarians. ..and it is refreshing to be able to talk to people who > understand. I have been vegetarian for about 25 years...and just > beginning to have a problem with dairy and eggs.> > I believe vegetarianism is growing at a good pace. Many children are > now making the decision. > > One of my friends told me they decided not to buy leather furniture > because they didn't like the idea of having cows provide it. However, > they continue to eat beef? Won't sit on a cow...but will eat it??> Interesting. ...> >

Trish>

Guest guest

exactly!

well, i decided to be a vegetarian when i was 13. neither of my parents or sibling (or friends!) were. i didn't like the cruelty to nimals involved. after 3 years my mum let me be a vegan after she spoke to many vegans and saw that they were healthy. i very lucky that my mum has really bothered with my food because i think you can only be a vegan and be healthy if you are very sensible and careful! i have now been a vegan for 2 years ( that makes me 18) and have never felt better healthwise! :)

....so really i did all the animal research myself!x--- On Tue, 29/7/08, seeryus <echolike wrote:

seeryus <echolike Newby Date: Tuesday, 29 July, 2008, 10:37 AM

Just joined. I don't have very many acquaintances who are vegetarians. ..and it is refreshing to be able to talk to people who understand.. I have been vegetarian for about 25 years...and just beginning to have a problem with dairy and eggs.I believe vegetarianism is growing at a good pace. Many children are now making the decision. One of my friends told me they decided not to buy leather furniture because they didn't like the idea of having cows provide it. However, they continue to eat beef? Won't sit on a cow...but will eat it??Interesting. ....Trish

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

Hi Echolike (is that what we should call you)?Aside from it being a possibly interesting philosophical question, does it matter?BBPeter2008/7/30 echolike <echolike

Re eggs - If egg is not fertilized...and apparently most are not...is it a chicken?--- On Wed, 7/30/08, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: Newby

Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 1:50 AM

HI TrishWelcome to Vegan Chat. I hope you enjoy it here. Don't be shy, it's good to chat.Jo@gro ups.com, " seeryus " <echolike@.. .> wrote:

>> Just joined. I don't have very many acquaintances who are > vegetarians. ..and it is refreshing to be able to talk to people who > understand. I have been vegetarian for about 25 years...and just

> beginning to have a problem with dairy and eggs.> > I believe vegetarianism is growing at a good pace. Many children are > now making the decision. > > One of my friends told me they decided not to buy leather furniture

> because they didn't like the idea of having cows provide it. However, > they continue to eat beef? Won't sit on a cow...but will eat it??> Interesting. ...> >

Trish>

Guest guest

Peter....I am having thoughts about including eggs in my diet...and would appreciate any opinions.

Echo--- On Wed, 7/30/08, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarabRe: Re: Newby Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 1:10 PM

Hi Echolike (is that what we should call you)?Aside from it being a possibly interesting philosophical question, does it matter?BBPeter

2008/7/30 echolike <echolike >

Re eggs - If egg is not fertilized.. .and apparently most are not...is it a chicken?--- On Wed, 7/30/08, heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> Re: Newby@gro ups.comWednesday, July 30, 2008, 1:50 AM

HI TrishWelcome to Vegan Chat. I hope you enjoy it here. Don't be shy, it's good to chat.Jo@gro ups.com, "seeryus" <echolike@.. .> wrote:>> Just joined. I don't have very many acquaintances who are > vegetarians. ..and it is refreshing to be able to talk to people who > understand. I have been vegetarian for about 25 years...and just > beginning to have a problem with dairy and eggs.> > I believe vegetarianism is growing at a good pace. Many children are > now making the decision. > > One of my friends told me they decided not to buy leather furniture > because they didn't like the idea of having cows provide it. However, > they continue to eat beef? Won't sit on a cow...but will eat it??> Interesting. ...>

> Trish>

Guest guest

I am glad you decided early in life and It is very good that your parent understands. So, how do you feel about eggs and dairy products?--- On Wed, 7/30/08, Elizabeth Harris <vegan_betty wrote:

Elizabeth Harris <vegan_bettyRe: Newby Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 11:20 AM

exactly!

well, i decided to be a vegetarian when i was 13. neither of my parents or sibling (or friends!) were. i didn't like the cruelty to nimals involved. after 3 years my mum let me be a vegan after she spoke to many vegans and saw that they were healthy. i very lucky that my mum has really bothered with my food because i think you can only be a vegan and be healthy if you are very sensible and careful! i have now been a vegan for 2 years ( that makes me 18) and have never felt better healthwise! :)

....so really i did all the animal research myself!x--- On Tue, 29/7/08, seeryus <echolike > wrote:

seeryus <echolike > Newby@gro ups.comTuesday, 29 July, 2008, 10:37 AM

Just joined. I don't have very many acquaintances who are vegetarians. ..and it is refreshing to be able to talk to people who understand.. I have been vegetarian for about 25 years...and just beginning to have a problem with dairy and eggs.I believe vegetarianism is growing at a good pace. Many children are now making the decision. One of my friends told me they decided not to buy leather furniture because they didn't like the idea of having cows provide it. However, they continue to eat beef? Won't sit on a cow...but will eat it??Interesting. ....Trish

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

Well done. Also well done to your mum for helping you to make it possible - some wouldn't.

Jo

-

Elizabeth Harris

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:20 PM

Re: Newby

exactly!

....so really i did all the animal research myself!x--- On Tue, 29/7/08, seeryus <echolike > wrote:

seeryus <echolike > Newby Date: Tuesday, 29 July, 2008, 10:37 AM

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

Hi EchoOK... for me the question over eggs isn't about whether they're chickens or not - it's about how they are produced. Firstly, when chickens cease to be able to lay enough eggs to be profitable, they are killed. Secondly, most of the male chicks are killed because they are useless as egg layers, and only a few are needed for breeding. Thirdly, the vast majority of chickens (including most of those defined as " free range " ) are kept in appaling conditions in which most never get to see daylight. Fourthly, because chickens are usually kept in overcrowded conditions, they are " de-beaked " (a nice way of saying they have their beaks ripped off) to prevent them injuring each other.

So, all in all, not a very nice business.From an ethical standpoint, I wouldn't have any issues with eating eggs if they came from rescue chickens that I looked after as pets... although as I'm allergic to eggs, they wouldn't do me any good!!!!

Hope that helpsBBPeter2008/7/30 echolike <echolike

Peter....I am having thoughts about including eggs in my diet...and would appreciate any opinions.

Echo--- On Wed, 7/30/08, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarabRe: Re: Newby

Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 1:10 PM

Hi Echolike (is that what we should call you)?Aside from it being a possibly interesting philosophical question, does it matter?BBPeter

Re eggs - If egg is not fertilized.. .and apparently most are not...is it a chicken?--- On Wed, 7/30/08, heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> Re: Newby

@gro ups.comWednesday, July 30, 2008, 1:50 AM

HI TrishWelcome to Vegan Chat. I hope you enjoy it here. Don't be shy, it's good to chat.Jo@gro ups.com, " seeryus " <echolike@.. .> wrote:

>> Just joined. I don't have very many acquaintances who are > vegetarians. ..and it is refreshing to be able to talk to people who > understand. I have been vegetarian for about 25 years...and just

> beginning to have a problem with dairy and eggs.> > I believe vegetarianism is growing at a good pace. Many children are > now making the decision. > > One of my friends told me they decided not to buy leather furniture

> because they didn't like the idea of having cows provide it. However, > they continue to eat beef? Won't sit on a cow...but will eat it??> Interesting. ...>

> Trish>

Guest guest

It depends what title you give yourself. If you call yourself vegan you will not include eggs. If you call yourself vegetarian then you may,although I don't see why you would if you haven't already been eating them/

Jo

-

echolike

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:37 PM

Re: Re: Newby

Echo--- On Wed, 7/30/08, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab > wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab >Re: Re: Newby Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 1:10 PM

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> Re: Newby@gro ups.comWednesday, July 30, 2008, 1:50 AM

HI TrishWelcome to Vegan Chat. I hope you enjoy it here. Don't be shy, it's good to chat.Jo@gro ups.com, "seeryus" <echolike@.. .> wrote:>> Just joined. I don't have very many acquaintances who are > vegetarians. ..and it is refreshing to be able to talk to people who > understand. I have been vegetarian for about 25 years...and just > beginning to have a problem with dairy and eggs.> > I believe vegetarianism is growing at a good pace. Many children are > now making the decision. > > One of my friends told me they decided not to buy leather furniture > because they didn't like the idea of having cows provide it. However, > they continue to eat beef? Won't sit on a cow...but will eat it??> Interesting. ...> > Trish>

Guest guest

Perhaps the egg is not a chicken, but its mommy was a chicken, and she

worked hard making the raw materials for that egg.

-- In , echolike <echolike wrote:

>

> Re eggs - If egg is not fertilized...and apparently most are

not...is it a chicken?

>

> --- On Wed, 7/30/08, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> heartwerk <jo.heartwork

> Re: Newby

>

> Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 1:50 AM

HI Trish

>

> Welcome to Vegan Chat. I hope you enjoy it here. Don't be shy, it's

> good to chat.

>

> Jo

>

> @gro ups.com, " seeryus " <echolike@ .> wrote:

> >

> > Just joined. I don't have very many acquaintances who are

> > vegetarians. ..and it is refreshing to be able to talk to people who

> > understand. I have been vegetarian for about 25 years...and just

> > beginning to have a problem with dairy and eggs.

> >

> > I believe vegetarianism is growing at a good pace. Many children

> are

> > now making the decision.

> >

> > One of my friends told me they decided not to buy leather furniture

> > because they didn't like the idea of having cows provide it.

> However,

> > they continue to eat beef? Won't sit on a cow...but will eat it??

> > Interesting. ...

> >

> > Trish

> >

>

Guest guest

Whoa there - that's a fairly huge misinterpretation of what I said. If I wasn't allergic, then the *only* circumstances I would eat eggs is if they came from rescue chickens which I was personally looking after. That isn't in any way my reason for not eating eggs. Try re-reading the post and look at the reasons I give.

You could also check out the page on the vegan society website, which goes into a whole lot more detail about the horrific treatment of egg-producing chickens.

Why do you feel a need to push such an unpleasant discussion onto what is a specifically vegan list? It seems somewhat distasteful considering this is a vegan list, and you've already had three or four answers which should give you enough information to make your own choice.

Could I suggest you make your decision on eggs for yourself on the information available, rather than trying to push a topic which seems designed to stir up trouble.

Thanks

BB

Peter

-

echolike

Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:56 AM

My question was asked to see WHY those who do not eat eggs don't eat them. One has already said he is allergic. What I call myself really has nothing to do with it. Why don't you eat eggs? Anyone??--- On Wed, 7/30/08, jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

jo <jo.heartworkRe: Re: Newby Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 7:18 PM

It depends what title you give yourself. If you call yourself vegan you will not include eggs. If you call yourself vegetarian then you may,although I don't see why you would if you haven't already been eating them/

Jo

-

echolike

@gro ups.com

Echo--- On Wed, 7/30/08, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@ gmail.com> wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@ gmail.com>Re: Re: Newby@gro ups.comWednesday, July 30, 2008, 1:10 PM

HI TrishWelcome to Vegan Chat. I hope you enjoy it here. Don't be shy, it's good to chat.Jo@gro ups.com, "seeryus" <echolike@.. .> wrote:>> Just joined. I don't have very many acquaintances who are > vegetarians. ..and it is refreshing to be able to talk to people who > understand. I have been vegetarian for about 25 years...and just > beginning to have a problem with dairy and eggs.> > I believe vegetarianism is growing at a good pace. Many children are > now making the decision. > > One of my friends told me they decided not to buy leather furniture > because they didn't like the idea of having cows provide it. However, > they continue to eat beef? Won't sit on a cow...but will eat it??> Interesting. ...> > Trish>

Guest guest

Actually, what you call yourself has everything to do with it. I don't eat eggs, *because I'm vegan*. I don't drink milk, *because I'm vegan*. I don't eat meat, *because I'm vegan*.

Now, I have reasons for being vegan, namely that I abhor cruelty to and exploitation of animals. That single reason covers all the aspects above, and more. You can break it down to the base level but the same fundamental holds true for all aspects of my veganism, and I cleave to that term because it does help me define myself.

I don't fully understand what your question is, but extrapolating backwards through the conversation it seems that you're asking if it's okay to eat eggs, as they are not animals in themselves. Essentially, what you're espousing there is the vegetarian point of view - that eggs and dairy are okay because they're not killing anything (a lot of people, myself included, consider that a flawed concept, but let's put that aside for a second). Without wishing to go through lots of tl;dr, the easiest way to define that is by saying whether or not eating eggs is ok depends on whether you call yourself a vegetarian or a vegan.

Of course, from an academic point of view, you can eat eggs and call yourself a vegan, but the other vegans will rightly argue with you because that is outside the accepted definition of vegan. (If you really want to put the cat among the pidgeons, join a vegetarian list and tell them you're a vegetarian who eats fish. The metaphorical feathers will fly, and the same thing holds true here.)

Gaya :)

On 7/31/08, echolike <echolike wrote:

My question was asked to see WHY those who do not eat eggs don't eat them. One has already said he is allergic. What I call myself really has nothing to do with it. Why don't you eat eggs? Anyone??

--- On Wed, 7/30/08, jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

jo <jo.heartwork

Re: Re: Newby Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 7:18 PM

Jo

-

echolike

@gro ups.com

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@ gmail.com>

@gro ups.comWednesday, July 30, 2008, 1:10 PM

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>

Re: Newby@gro ups.comWednesday, July 30, 2008, 1:50 AM

> because they didn't like the idea of having cows provide it. However, > they continue to eat beef? Won't sit on a cow...but will eat it??> Interesting. ...> > Trish>

Guest guest

Vegans do not eat eggs because they are an animal/product. Vegans eat only plants. If you eat eggs, I sincerely hope you won't be calling yourself vegan because you are not.

Jo

-

echolike

My question was asked to see WHY those who do not eat eggs don't eat them. One has already said he is allergic. What I call myself really has nothing to do with it. Why don't you eat eggs? Anyone??--- On Wed, 7/30/08, jo <jo.heartwork > wrote:

jo <jo.heartwork >Re: Re: Newby Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 7:18 PM

Jo

-

echolike

@gro ups.com

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@ gmail.com>Re: Re: Newby@gro ups.comWednesday, July 30, 2008, 1:10 PM

Guest guest

Thank you, Jo...This comes closest to answering my questions.--- On Thu, 7/31/08, jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

jo <jo.heartworkRe: Re: Newby Date: Thursday, July 31, 2008, 5:49 AM

Vegans do not eat eggs because they are an animal/product. Vegans eat only plants. If you eat eggs, I sincerely hope you won't be calling yourself vegan because you are not.

Jo

-

echolike

@gro ups.com

My question was asked to see WHY those who do not eat eggs don't eat them. One has already said he is allergic. What I call myself really has nothing to do with it. Why don't you eat eggs? Anyone??--- On Wed, 7/30/08, jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> wrote:

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>Re: Re: Newby@gro ups.comWednesday, July 30, 2008, 7:18 PM

Jo

-

echolike

@gro ups.com

HI TrishWelcome to Vegan Chat. I hope you enjoy it here. Don't be shy, it's good to chat.Jo@gro ups.com, "seeryus" <echolike@.. .> wrote:>> Just joined. I don't have very many acquaintances who are > vegetarians. ..and it is refreshing to be able to talk to people who > understand. I have been vegetarian for about 25 years...and just > beginning to have a problem with dairy and eggs.> > I believe vegetarianism is growing at a good pace. Many children are > now making the decision. > > One of my friends told me they decided not to buy leather furniture > because they didn't like the idea of having cows provide it. However, > they continue to eat beef? Won't sit on a cow...but will eat it??> Interesting. ...>

> Trish>

Guest guest

Have you ever seen where most eggs come from? Many websites take you

inside the laying industry. It is fairly horrific for the birds within.

Being in vet school, I'm seeing the inside view of the industry. If I

were not already a vegan, I would have given up animal products after

taking these classes for my own health as well as the treatment of the

animals. The garbage people feed chickens and the chemicals people

expose them to (many of which end up in the eggs) are awful.

At the livestock rescue place that I've been to, they had chickens.

The chickens were treated very well, and did lay eggs. I suppose, in

theory, those eggs would have been okay for people to eat. However,

that group fed the eggs back to the chickens, shells and all, to help

the birds replenish the minerals that go into the makeup of the egg.

I liked that solution.

Have you ever tried EngerG egg replacer? It works great for baked

good. Tofu scrambles are wonderful in the morning. The chickens will

thank you, and you never have to worry about cholesterol.

~Faith

, echolike <echolike wrote:

>

> Thank you, Jo...This comes closest to answering my questions.

>

> --- On Thu, 7/31/08, jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> jo <jo.heartwork

> Re: Re: Newby

>

> Thursday, July 31, 2008, 5:49 AM

>

Vegans do not eat eggs because they are an animal/product. Vegans

eat only plants. If you eat eggs, I sincerely hope you won't be

calling yourself vegan because you are not.

>

> Jo

>

>

> -

> echolike

> @gro ups.com

> Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:56 AM

>

My question was asked to see WHY those who do not eat eggs don't eat

them. One has already said he is allergic. What I call myself

really has nothing to do with it. Why don't you eat eggs? Anyone??

Guest guest

Good info, Faith....what is tofu scrambles?--- On Thu, 7/31/08, Faith <tigerpainter wrote:

Faith <tigerpainter Re: Newby Date: Thursday, July 31, 2008, 5:28 PM

Have you ever seen where most eggs come from? Many websites take youinside the laying industry. It is fairly horrific for the birds within.Being in vet school, I'm seeing the inside view of the industry. If Iwere not already a vegan, I would have given up animal products aftertaking these classes for my own health as well as the treatment of theanimals. The garbage people feed chickens and the chemicals peopleexpose them to (many of which end up in the eggs) are awful. At the livestock rescue place that I've been to, they had chickens. The chickens were treated very well, and did lay eggs. I suppose, intheory, those eggs would have been okay for people to eat. However,that group fed the eggs back to the chickens, shells and all, to helpthe birds replenish the minerals that go into the makeup of the egg. I liked that solution.Have you ever tried EngerG egg replacer? It works great for

bakedgood. Tofu scrambles are wonderful in the morning. The chickens willthank you, and you never have to worry about cholesterol.~Faith@gro ups.com, echolike <echolike@.. .> wrote:>> Thank you, Jo...This comes closest to answering my questions.> > --- On Thu, 7/31/08, jo <jo.heartwork@ ...> wrote:> > jo <jo.heartwork@ ...>> Re: Re: Newby> @gro ups.com> Thursday, July 31, 2008, 5:49 AM> > > > > > > > Vegans do not eat eggs because they are an animal/product. Veganseat only plants. If you eat eggs, I sincerely hope you won't becalling yourself vegan because you

are not. > > Jo> > > - > echolike > @gro ups.com > Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:56 AM> Re: Re: Newby> > > > > > > > My question was asked to see WHY those who do not eat eggs don't eatthem. One has already said he is allergic. What I call myselfreally has nothing to do with it. Why don't you eat eggs? Anyone??

Guest guest

I stopped eating eggs when I was 4 years old, long before I ever

heard the word " vegetarian " or knew that it was possible to

be one. I had learned that chickens come from eggs, and in my

imagination each egg had a minuscule baby chicken inside. I did not

want to bite down on the baby chicken, and since I did not know which

bite of the egg contained the baby chicken, I chose to take no bite of

egg.

At 5:56 PM -0700 7/30/08, echolike wrote:

My question was asked to see WHY those who do not eat eggs don't

eat them. One has already said he is allergic. What

I call myself really has nothing to do with it. Why don't you

eat eggs? Anyone??

Guest guest

thank you....--- On Fri, 8/1/08, yarrow <yarrow wrote:

yarrow <yarrowRe: Re: Newby Date: Friday, August 1, 2008, 10:42 AM

I stopped eating eggs when I was 4 years old, long before I ever heard the word "vegetarian" or knew that it was possible to be one. I had learned that chickens come from eggs, and in my imagination each egg had a minuscule baby chicken inside. I did not want to bite down on the baby chicken, and since I did not know which bite of the egg contained the baby chicken, I chose to take no bite of egg.

At 5:56 PM -0700 7/30/08, echolike wrote:

My question was asked to see WHY those who do not eat eggs don't eat them. One has already said he is allergic. What I call myself really has nothing to do with it. Why don't you eat eggs? Anyone??

Guest guest

I agree with you Peter. I have a duck for a pet and she used to lay

eggs, however, due to health problems, she doesn't lay anymore. I

used to eat her eggs - only eggs from her - and still called myself

vegan. My reasons for being vegan (like most of you here) are that I

don't agree with cruelty to animals. My ducky is loved and spoiled

and there is nothing cruel about her life. And unlike getting milk

from cows, ducks and chickens lay eggs on their own without having to

do anything to them. I agree with Peter that if you had rescue

chickens and you care for them, there's nothing wrong with eating the

eggs and no one should judge him or myself. To each his own, right?

If labels are that important to you, then I think you've lost sight

of the point here. I'm going to call myself vegan and eat eggs from a

loved and spoiled duck :)

Jess

, " Peter " <metalscarab wrote:

>

> Whoa there - that's a fairly huge misinterpretation of what I said.

If I wasn't allergic, then the *only* circumstances I would eat eggs

is if they came from rescue chickens which I was personally looking

after. That isn't in any way my reason for not eating eggs. Try re-

reading the post and look at the reasons I give.

>

> You could also check out the page on the vegan society website,

which goes into a whole lot more detail about the horrific treatment

of egg-producing chickens.

>

> Why do you feel a need to push such an unpleasant discussion onto

what is a specifically vegan list? It seems somewhat distasteful

considering this is a vegan list, and you've already had three or

four answers which should give you enough information to make your

own choice.

>

> Could I suggest you make your decision on eggs for yourself on the

information available, rather than trying to push a topic which seems

designed to stir up trouble.

>

> Thanks

>

> BB

> Peter

> -

> echolike

>

> Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:56 AM

>

>

> My question was asked to see WHY those who do not eat eggs

don't eat them. One has already said he is allergic. What I call

myself really has nothing to do with it. Why don't you eat eggs?

Anyone??

>

> --- On Wed, 7/30/08, jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> jo <jo.heartwork

>

> Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 7:18 PM

>

>

> It depends what title you give yourself. If you call

yourself vegan you will not include eggs. If you call yourself

vegetarian then you may,although I don't see why you would if you

haven't already been eating them/

>

> Jo

>

> -

> echolike

> @gro ups.com

> Wednesday, July 30, 2008 7:37 PM

>

>

> Peter....I am having thoughts about including

eggs in my diet...and would appreciate any opinions.

>

> Echo

>

> --- On Wed, 7/30/08, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@

gmail.com> wrote:

>

> Peter Kebbell <metalscarab@ gmail.com>

> @gro ups.com

> Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 1:10 PM

>

>

> Hi Echolike (is that what we should call you)?

>

> Aside from it being a possibly interesting

philosophical question, does it matter?

>

> BB

> Peter

>

>

> 2008/7/30 echolike <echolike >

>

> Re eggs - If egg is not

fertilized.. .and apparently most are not...is it a chicken?

>

> --- On Wed, 7/30/08, heartwerk

<jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> wrote:

>

> heartwerk <jo.heartwork@

gmail.com>

> Re: Newby

> @gro ups.com

> Wednesday, July 30, 2008, 1:50

AM

>

>

> HI Trish

>

> Welcome to Vegan Chat. I hope you

enjoy it here. Don't be shy, it's

> good to chat.

>

> Jo

>

> @gro

ups.com, " seeryus " <echolike@ .> wrote:

> >

> > Just joined. I don't have very many

acquaintances who are

> > vegetarians. ..and it is refreshing

to be able to talk to people who

> > understand. I have been vegetarian

for about 25 years...and just

> > beginning to have a problem with

dairy and eggs.

> >

> > I believe vegetarianism is growing

at a good pace. Many children

> are

> > now making the decision.

> >

> > One of my friends told me they

decided not to buy leather furniture

> > because they didn't like the idea

of having cows provide it.

> However,

> > they continue to eat beef? Won't

sit on a cow...but will eat it??

> > Interesting. ...

> >

> > Trish

> >

>

• 1 year later...

*peeking in* Welcome to the Garden of Earthly Delights, AKA ,

Janet! May one assume (be still my rationalizing the denominator heart) that

there is another math pusher in the group? If so, HA, I KNEW math was logical.

Oh lord, forgive that one, folks. I couldn't help it.

The husband person and I have been vegetarian (lacto-ovo since we get milk,

cheese and eggs from family pets with names) for over 23 years now. Now  and

then we end up with a carnivore living here (other than the cats and dogs who

eat everything including a 5 pound bag of TVP my husband left on the counter

since he " knew " the cats wouldn't get into it and eat it...they did, though. It

isn't easy, especially if you are like me and even the smell of meat cooking

makes you very nauseated. Our mixed family (some vegetarians, some carnivores)

were often served TVP meatish dishes (especially chili and spaghetti) and it

didn't kill them. I even accidentally sent some vegetarian frozen meals  to a

couple of families we help out and they ate them and didn't die of the shock to

their systems. Naturally I'm not telling them that the lasagna they all raved

over and the chili which was  devoured in the first meal had TVP and not ground

up bovine.

Once you guys  decide to have children, Do Not Let The Doctor, Nurse, Inlaws,

Parents, Siblings, Department Head, Dean, Grocery Store Clerk, Hairdresser or

ANYONE tell you that you are hurting your baby by eating a well balanced

vegetarian diet with the proper amount of protein, calories and nutrients.

You're going to love it here; the veggie folks  are great! Jeanne in GA

http://jeannefromgeorgia.blogspot.com/