IndiaDivine.org

Help Stop the International Primate Trade

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Donate NowJoin PCRMRenew Your Membership

PCRMinfo

Subscribe to future PCRM e-mail communications

Dear PCRM supporter,

I want to share an important victory with you and ask for your help. On Wednesday, a Puerto Rican court halted construction of a highly controversial primate-breeding facility in Guayama, Puerto Rico. If erected, the facility would pose a serious public health threat, and it would hold at least 3,000 monkeys taken from the wild in Mauritius. The monkeys would be used for breeding and experimentation.

In July 2009, I went to Puerto Rico to visit the site of this facility. I was shocked by the environmental devastation and the effects of the facility on the neighboring community, as well as the animal suffering that would occur if the facility became operational.

While interviewing at a local TV station, I had the opportunity to speak with Gov. Fortuño, who said that if the parent company was found to be in the wrong he would withdraw his support for the project. Just weeks before the court’s decision to halt the facility, the Puerto Rico Senate also issued a report criticizing Bioculture, the company responsible for the facility.

“We conclude that the action and non-actions of the company with respect to the protection and integrity of the cultural, historic and archeological resources of the land has been absolutely inadmissible and reprehensible,” the Senate report said.

In light of the findings of the Senate committee and the ruling of the court, I’m calling on Gov. Fortuño to honor his commitment, and I ask you to join me.

We need your help to ensure this vital court decision has a positive and permanent effect in Puerto Rico. Please continue to support the international effort to stop Puerto Rico from becoming a major player in the cruel international primate trade. Please e-mail Gov. Fortuño today and ask him to honor his statement by withdrawing support of Bioculture and the monkey-breeding facility.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,Hope Ferdowsian, M.D., M.P.H.Director of Research Policy

Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine5100 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Ste. 400 Washington, DC 20016

Phone: 202-686-2210E-mail: info

Forward this message to a friend Un from PCRM e-mail communicationsView this message as HTML in your browserChange your e-mail preferences