IndiaDivine.org

Fw:Updated TEARS Press Release and Video Release on conditions of animals at [1 Attachment]

Rate this topic

Guest guest

PLEASE CROSS-POST!

V~

Allison [blackboard] Saturday, January 02, 2010 1:48 PMFW: Updated TEARS Press Release and Video Release on conditions of animals at property

Hello all:

Many of you have read of the events of The Emergency Animal Rescue Service (TEARS) over the past few days. I am sending a diverse group from my email lists the latest press release and video release. There will be a press conference at 4:00 today at the Greater Birmingham Humane Society and I am sure a lot of court appearances next week. Please forward to anyone you know interested in animal welfare so that people will know what is happening.

This site has been treated as a “disaster site†of sorts since board members first gained control of the property and the coordination and work of many nonprofit and government agencies has been nothing short of remarkable to watch. Without the collaboration and help of the Greater Birmingham Humane Society (Jacque Meyer), Humane Society of the United States (Mindy Gilbert), Liberty and Kelly Animal Hospitals and their vets and vet techs (Dr. Monoghan, Dr. Pelham, Dr. and Dr. Williams all UNPAID on site for two days), the state of Alabama emergency management agency, the sheriff and 2 committed board members – this would not have been possible. Deputy Dwight Sloan was also incredible as were all the sheriff’s deputies.

Also – many of you know animal handler extraordinaire Vicki Shay – who gave up her New Years Day to assist us at the property – her expertise in handling these animals along with Jacque Meyer’s staff and the animal control staff was absolutely critical to the team’s success of handling each animal as humanely and compassionately as possible as they were examined. Special thanks to Shannon Ammons, Vestavia resident, who spent all day every day at the property since Dec 30th and provided scribe services to the disaster team logging more than 200 animals, their diagnoses, and their condition. The conditions were horrible. Thanks to her husband Steve

Also – without the compassion and legal advice of attorney John Saxon and assistance from Bradley Arant -- these animals would still be in the same state. I don’t care how right you think you are - without a good lawyer you get nowhere, especially if you are a child or animal.

While I appreciate the many emails thanking me – it is important that everyone know I was hired by the board and recommended by the legal folks – I am nothing compared to the two board members, the two attorneys, and the disaster team.

I do this for a living – they are volunteers.

Law enforcement has left and there are still many animals left on site. The former Director is refusing to leave her trailer and passions are running far too high – thus the board members have no way to safely take care of the animals or to ensure the animals security.

Again thanks for forwarding if you choose to do so.

Allison Black Cornelius

BlackBOARD Consulting