Guest guest

tolerant place that it is

right...

Church to Be Billed for Immigrant Rally

From Associated Press

September 19, 2007 8:57 AM EDT

SIMI VALLEY, Calif. - A church that is sheltering an illegal immigrant from

Mexico and her U.S.-born infant son will be billed nearly $40,000 for the city

police presence during a weekend protest, officials said.

Mayor Paul Miller, who called United Church of Christ congregants irresponsible

for " harboring an illegal immigrant, " told the City Council Monday that he was

ready to issue the $39,306 invoice right away.

The church's decision to shelter the woman provoked the Sunday protest, which

required a police presence, officials said.

" This City Council has the obligation to protect all citizens in the community

against any potential violence as a result of these ill-conceived actions, "

Miller said.

A message left early Wednesday with the United Church of Christ was not

immediately returned.

An anti-illegal immigration group organized the protest and said it hoped to

make a citizen's arrest of the woman, who has identified herself only as

Liliana. The rally drew over a hundred activists on both sides of the illegal

immigration debate.

Between four and 15 officers were present during the three-hour rally, with two

sheriff's tactical response teams on standby, police Chief Mike Lewis said.

The woman has been living in the church's former parsonage as part of the New

Sanctuary Movement, which arranges church accommodations for illegal immigrants

in the U.S.

City officials said they previously advised United Church of Christ Rev. June

Goudey against taking in Liliana, who had earlier been sheltered at a church in

Long Beach.

" This city is not going to be known as sanctuary city, " Miller said.

I never thought about the universe, it made me feel small

Never thought about the problems of this planet at all

Global warming, radio-active sites

Imperialistic wrongs and animal rights! No!

Why think of all the bad things when life is so good?

Why help with an 'am' when there's always a 'could'?

Let the whales worry about the poisons in the sea

Outside of California, it's foreign policy

I don't want changes, I have no reactions

Your dilemmas are my distractions

I never looked around, never second-guessed

Then I read some Howard Zinn now I'm always depressed

And now I can't sleep from years of apathy

All because I read a little Noam Chomsky

I'm eating vegetation, 'cause of Fast Food Nation

I'm wearing uncomfortable shoes 'cause of globalization

I'm watching Michael Moore expose the awful truth

I'm listening to Public Enemy and Reagan Youth

I see no world peace 'cause of zealous armed forces

I eat no breath-mints 'cause they're from de-hoofed horses

Not that we ever covered much of this waaay back in civics classes,

but doesn't the fact that this woman has a baby born in the US give

her the right to stay here legally??

We really don't have any issues, that I know of, around here with the

illegal immigrant situation, so I'm a bit surprised that a whole

group of people want to arrest this woman?

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

>

> tolerant place that it is

>

> right...

>

> Church to Be Billed for Immigrant Rally

> From Associated Press

> September 19, 2007 8:57 AM EDT

> SIMI VALLEY, Calif. - A church that is sheltering an illegal

immigrant from Mexico and her U.S.-born infant son will be billed

nearly $40,000 for the city police presence during a weekend protest,

officials said.

>

> Mayor Paul Miller, who called United Church of Christ congregants

irresponsible for " harboring an illegal immigrant, " told the City

Council Monday that he was ready to issue the $39,306 invoice right

away.

>

> The church's decision to shelter the woman provoked the Sunday

protest, which required a police presence, officials said.

>

> " This City Council has the obligation to protect all citizens in

the community against any potential violence as a result of these ill-

conceived actions, " Miller said.

>

> A message left early Wednesday with the United Church of Christ was

not immediately returned.

>

> An anti-illegal immigration group organized the protest and said it

hoped to make a citizen's arrest of the woman, who has identified

herself only as Liliana. The rally drew over a hundred activists on

both sides of the illegal immigration debate.

>

> Between four and 15 officers were present during the three-hour

rally, with two sheriff's tactical response teams on standby, police

Chief Mike Lewis said.

>

> The woman has been living in the church's former parsonage as part

of the New Sanctuary Movement, which arranges church accommodations

for illegal immigrants in the U.S.

>

> City officials said they previously advised United Church of Christ

Rev. June Goudey against taking in Liliana, who had earlier been

sheltered at a church in Long Beach.

>

> " This city is not going to be known as sanctuary city, " Miller said.

>

>

> I never thought about the universe, it made me feel small

> Never thought about the problems of this planet at all

> Global warming, radio-active sites

> Imperialistic wrongs and animal rights! No!

> Why think of all the bad things when life is so good?

> Why help with an 'am' when there's always a 'could'?

> Let the whales worry about the poisons in the sea

> Outside of California, it's foreign policy

> I don't want changes, I have no reactions

> Your dilemmas are my distractions

> I never looked around, never second-guessed

> Then I read some Howard Zinn now I'm always depressed

> And now I can't sleep from years of apathy

> All because I read a little Noam Chomsky

> I'm eating vegetation, 'cause of Fast Food Nation

> I'm wearing uncomfortable shoes 'cause of globalization

> I'm watching Michael Moore expose the awful truth

> I'm listening to Public Enemy and Reagan Youth

> I see no world peace 'cause of zealous armed forces

> I eat no breath-mints 'cause they're from de-hoofed horses

>

guess you didn't hear about the woman who was holed up in another church forever for the same reasons, and she eventually left to go to another church in LA (she felt she was burdening that church) , and INS caught here (well, its called ICE now..) and she was deported

if you have a child born here, it can stay, you still gotta go tho

tolerance..yeah right///

tofuchick24 Sep 19, 2007 12:08 PM Re: good ol Slimey valley

Not that we ever covered much of this waaay back in civics classes, but doesn't the fact that this woman has a baby born in the US give her the right to stay here legally?? We really don't have any issues, that I know of, around here with the illegal immigrant situation, so I'm a bit surprised that a whole group of people want to arrest this woman? , fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:>> tolerant place that it is> > right...> > Church to Be Billed for Immigrant Rally> From Associated Press> September 19, 2007 8:57 AM EDT > SIMI VALLEY, Calif. - A church that is sheltering an illegal immigrant from Mexico and her U.S.-born infant son will be billed nearly $40,000 for the city police presence during a weekend protest, officials said.> > Mayor Paul Miller, who called United Church of Christ congregants irresponsible for "harboring an illegal immigrant," told the City Council Monday that he was ready to issue the $39,306 invoice right away.> > The church's decision to shelter the woman provoked the Sunday protest, which required a police presence, officials said.> > "This City Council has the obligation to protect all citizens in the community against any potential violence as a result of these ill-conceived actions," Miller said.> > A message left early Wednesday with the United Church of Christ was not immediately returned.> > An anti-illegal immigration group organized the protest and said it hoped to make a citizen's arrest of the woman, who has identified herself only as Liliana. The rally drew over a hundred activists on both sides of the illegal immigration debate.> > Between four and 15 officers were present during the three-hour rally, with two sheriff's tactical response teams on standby, police Chief Mike Lewis said.> > The woman has been living in the church's former parsonage as part of the New Sanctuary Movement, which arranges church accommodations for illegal immigrants in the U.S.> > City officials said they previously advised United Church of Christ Rev. June Goudey against taking in Liliana, who had earlier been sheltered at a church in Long Beach.> > "This city is not going to be known as sanctuary city," Miller said.> > > I never thought about the universe, it made me feel small> Never thought about the problems of this planet at all> Global warming, radio-active sites> Imperialistic wrongs and animal rights! No!> Why think of all the bad things when life is so good?> Why help with an 'am' when there's always a 'could'?> Let the whales worry about the poisons in the sea> Outside of California, it's foreign policy> I don't want changes, I have no reactions> Your dilemmas are my distractions> I never looked around, never second-guessed> Then I read some Howard Zinn now I'm always depressed> And now I can't sleep from years of apathy> All because I read a little Noam Chomsky> I'm eating vegetation, 'cause of Fast Food Nation> I'm wearing uncomfortable shoes 'cause of globalization> I'm watching Michael Moore expose the awful truth> I'm listening to Public Enemy and Reagan Youth> I see no world peace 'cause of zealous armed forces> I eat no breath-mints 'cause they're from de-hoofed horses>

Immigration activist deported to Mexico

template_bas

template_bas

Elvira Arellano, detained in L.A., is seen as an icon of migrant rights by some and as a symbol of lawlessness by others.

By Teresa Watanabe August 21, 2007

U.S. immigration officials announced Monday that Elvira Arellano, an illegal immigrant who symbolized inhumane treatment of migrants to some and brazen lawlessness to others, has been deported to her native Mexico, as immigrant-rights groups vowed to respond with massive protests.Arellano, a 32-year-old single mother, was "a criminal fugitive alien who spent a year seeking to elude federal capture" by taking refuge in a Chicago church, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said.

Related Stories

-

Immigration activist arrested

The agency said that tracking down and deporting immigration fugitives was one of its "top enforcement priorities" and that 220,000 illegal immigrants had been deported between last October and July, among the highest numbers ever for a 10-month period.Federal immigration officials said they chose to arrest Arellano because she had defied not only immigration law but also federal criminal law."We see her not as an icon but as a priority and example of the type of person we want to ensure we're removing from the United States," Hayes said.But many immigrant-rights groups view Arellano as a symbol of courage in defying U.S. deportation orders that separated her from her 8-year-old son, Saul, a U.S. citizen. Southern California labor, religious and immigrant-rights groups are organizing vigils, political lobbying to give Arellano legal status to return and a march on Saturday through downtown Los Angeles to protest the actions.Activists are also planning a national rally and boycott on behalf of Arellano in Washington, D.C., on Sept. 12, said Carlos Montes of the March 25 Coalition, which organized the massive immigration march through Los Angeles last year."She's encouraging and inspiring people by her courage in service of a mission to draw attention to the suffering of immigrant families," said the Rev. Alexia Salvatierra, director of Clergy and Laity United for Economic Justice of California, who is helping coordinate a national movement to offer sanctuary to illegal immigrants.Federal immigration officials arrested Arellano without incident Sunday outside Our Lady Queen of Angels Church in Los Angeles. After being processed at an immigration facility in Santa Ana, Arellano was taken 100 miles to the border crossing at San Ysidro and turned over to Mexican immigration officials later that day.Arellano left behind her tearful son, who headed to Tijuana on Monday to visit her.The boy, who has since settled down and is "very calm," according to Anita Rico, an Arellano supporter who drove with him to Tijuana, agreed to make the trip only if he could return to the United States, where he prefers to live. He was scheduled to return Monday night.Shortly after taking sanctuary last year, Arellano had discussed her situation with Saul and had given him the choice of what to do if she were arrested, Rico said. The soon-to-be third-grader, whom Rico described as a straight-A student enamored of wrestling and soccer, said he wanted to stay in the United States with his legal guardians, the Rev. Walter Coleman and his wife, whose Chicago congregation had harbored Arellano.Rico said Arellano never stepped outside her Chicago sanctuary until, as her one-year sanctuary anniversary approached, she decided to risk arrest by stepping out publicly in Los Angeles and had planned to speak in Washington, D.C., next month."She said she would sacrifice herself because our people can't wait any more for just immigration reform," Rico said.Arellano first entered the U.S. in 1997; she was caught and deported. A few days later, she reentered the country, a felony punishable by up to 20 years in prison. In 2002, she was arrested and convicted of using a false Social Security number in Chicago.Last summer, an immigration judge ordered Arellano to appear for deportation. Instead, she sought refuge in the church.Arellano's deportation Sunday coincides with heightened enforcement against the nation's estimated 12 million illegal immigrants and the collapse of congressional efforts to pass an immigration reform bill that would have offered them a path to citizenship.Many immigrant-rights groups had not widely embraced the sanctuary movement as their first tactic of choice, focusing instead on political action to win comprehensive reform. Now, however, Arellano's deportation could refocus activists' energies on broadening the sanctuary movement, according to Germonique Jones, spokeswoman for the Washington-based Fair Immigration Reform Movement.In Southern California, 25 churches have signed up to offer sanctuary; four families are being harbored."It's a rallying cry," Jones said of Arellano's deportation, "and another spark to bring people together to fight for immigration reform."But Arellano's deportation also gave voice to powerful passions against illegal immigrants.The L.A. Times website, latimes.com, drew hundreds of reader responses to the article Monday about Arellano, many of them outraged by what they saw as flouting of immigration laws.In Chicago, dozens of protesters gathered in front of federal immigration offices, chanting for Arellano's return and waving signs that read "Stop Enforcing Racist Laws."For some like Cynthia Lorenzo, 32, the news of Arellano's fight reflected their own troubles."I'm a U.S. citizen. My children are citizens and my husband isn't," Lorenzo said. "He was deported a year ago, and we've been fighting for him to return ever since. I keep hoping that things will change, but it's so hard to keep fighting

tofuchick24 Sep 19, 2007 12:08 PM Re: good ol Slimey valley

Not that we ever covered much of this waaay back in civics classes, but doesn't the fact that this woman has a baby born in the US give her the right to stay here legally?? We really don't have any issues, that I know of, around here with the illegal immigrant situation, so I'm a bit surprised that a whole group of people want to arrest this woman? , fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:>> tolerant place that it is> > right...> > Church to Be Billed for Immigrant Rally> From Associated Press> September 19, 2007 8:57 AM EDT > SIMI VALLEY, Calif. - A church that is sheltering an illegal immigrant from Mexico and her U.S.-born infant son will be billed nearly $40,000 for the city police presence during a weekend protest, officials said.> > Mayor Paul Miller, who called United Church of Christ congregants irresponsible for "harboring an illegal immigrant," told the City Council Monday that he was ready to issue the $39,306 invoice right away.> > The church's decision to shelter the woman provoked the Sunday protest, which required a police presence, officials said.> > "This City Council has the obligation to protect all citizens in the community against any potential violence as a result of these ill-conceived actions," Miller said.> > A message left early Wednesday with the United Church of Christ was not immediately returned.> > An anti-illegal immigration group organized the protest and said it hoped to make a citizen's arrest of the woman, who has identified herself only as Liliana. The rally drew over a hundred activists on both sides of the illegal immigration debate.> > Between four and 15 officers were present during the three-hour rally, with two sheriff's tactical response teams on standby, police Chief Mike Lewis said.> > The woman has been living in the church's former parsonage as part of the New Sanctuary Movement, which arranges church accommodations for illegal immigrants in the U.S.> > City officials said they previously advised United Church of Christ Rev. June Goudey against taking in Liliana, who had earlier been sheltered at a church in Long Beach.> > "This city is not going to be known as sanctuary city," Miller said.> > > I never thought about the universe, it made me feel small> Never thought about the problems of this planet at all> Global warming, radio-active sites> Imperialistic wrongs and animal rights! No!> Why think of all the bad things when life is so good?> Why help with an 'am' when there's always a 'could'?> Let the whales worry about the poisons in the sea> Outside of California, it's foreign policy> I don't want changes, I have no reactions> Your dilemmas are my distractions> I never looked around, never second-guessed> Then I read some Howard Zinn now I'm always depressed> And now I can't sleep from years of apathy> All because I read a little Noam Chomsky> I'm eating vegetation, 'cause of Fast Food Nation> I'm wearing uncomfortable shoes 'cause of globalization> I'm watching Michael Moore expose the awful truth> I'm listening to Public Enemy and Reagan Youth> I see no world peace 'cause of zealous armed forces> I eat no breath-mints 'cause they're from de-hoofed horses>

That seems really crappy. I just watched this huge program re 9-11 on

PBS, can't remember the name, but it went into how the terrorists

overstayed visas and one even went so far as to put his reason to be

here was to go to flight school!! I guess I just don't get why the INS

(or whomever) couldn't look at why a person might be here and rule out

a " threat " . Geesh, most Americans have at least some immigrant in them!

EVERYONE here came from somewhere else, if you go back far enough

we are all immigrants

and, don't get me started on 9/11.............

tofuchick24 Sep 19, 2007 12:16 PM Re: good ol Slimey valley

That seems really crappy. I just watched this huge program re 9-11 on PBS, can't remember the name, but it went into how the terrorists overstayed visas and one even went so far as to put his reason to be here was to go to flight school!! I guess I just don't get why the INS (or whomever) couldn't look at why a person might be here and rule out a "threat". Geesh, most Americans have at least some immigrant in them!