IndiaDivine.org

Fw: Just Released: Oceans in Peril

Rate this topic

Guest guest

-----Forwarded Message----- Worldwatch Institute Sep 19, 2007 8:04 PM ebbrewpunx Just Released: Oceans in Peril

Publications | Donate | About Us | Home

Continued support from people like you is critical to Worldwatch's work to create a safer, more sustainable world. Help us spread our message by:

Purchasing our publications and downloading our free PDFs. Joining the Institute by becoming a supporter.

Oceans in Peril: Protecting Marine Biodiversity

© Greenpeace/Marco Care

Creating "national parks of the sea" may be the only effective way to reverse trends that have left 76 percent of world fish stocks fully- or over-exploited and marine biodiversity at severe risk, according to the Institute's latest report, Oceans in Peril: Protecting Marine Biodiversity.

Marine reserves are essential to protect the biodiversity that maintains ecosystem integrity, say the report's authors, Michelle Allsopp, Richard Page, Paul Johnston, and David Santillo, of the Greenpeace Research Laboratories at the University of Exeter, U.K. Additionally, fisheries management must radically change from a single-species approach to one that is ecosystem based and that employs precautionary measures to tackle pollution and to reduce carbon dioxide emissions that are changing the temperature and chemistry of the oceans.

"The oceans cannot save themselves," says Christopher Flavin, president of Worldwatch. "Collective commitments to thriving ecosystems are needed to save overfished species from being systematically depleted from compromised habitats."

Read more.

Purchase Oceans in Peril: Protecting Marine Biodiversity for just $9.95

+

Buy both Oceans in Peril and Catch of the Day for $15. Save $5—a 25% discount off the cost of buying each title separately!

Quiz: Test your marine biodiversity knowledge

How much do you know about the world's ailing oceans and what can be done to help heal them? Take this quiz to gauge your eco-literacy on the diversity of the oceans and our growing footprint on them.

Once you finish, forward it to your friends and family!

More Recent Headlines from Worldwatch

Pesticides Pose Risk in Rural and Urban Communities Alike. In a recent study of 60 children of Latino farmworkers in the U.S. state of North Carolina, nearly 90 percent of those tested were found to have pesticide metabolites in their urine, according to a report in Environmental Health Perspectives.

Want to slow global warming? Cut back on red meat. It's been an interesting month for folks like me who write about farm animals. First, the American Journal of Public Health printed an editorial saying our appetite for meat products can contribute to the spread of diseases like avian flu. Then today, The Lancet published a study declaring that eating less red meat can help curb climate change.

Can Corporations Help Chinese Nonprofits Overcome Funding Barriers? One of the major barriers to the growth of civil society in China is the lack of funding to support a wide diversity of organizations and projects.

Gas Flaring Wastes Resources, Pollutes Atmosphere. Every year, the oil industry burns off up to 170 billion cubic meters of natural gas released in the oil extraction process, according to a new report commissioned by the World Bank.

Edit your account settings.

Un from the Worldwatch e-mail list.

News Feed

Worldwatch Institute - 1776 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20036 Tel 202.452.1999 - Fax 202.296.7365 - www.worldwatch.org

I never thought about the universe, it made me feel small

Never thought about the problems of this planet at all

Global warming, radio-active sites

Imperialistic wrongs and animal rights! No!

Why think of all the bad things when life is so good?

Why help with an 'am' when there's always a 'could'?

Let the whales worry about the poisons in the sea

Outside of California, it's foreign policy

I don't want changes, I have no reactions

Your dilemmas are my distractions

I never looked around, never second-guessed

Then I read some Howard Zinn now I'm always depressed

And now I can't sleep from years of apathy

All because I read a little Noam Chomsky

I'm eating vegetation, 'cause of Fast Food Nation

I'm wearing uncomfortable shoes 'cause of globalization

I'm watching Michael Moore expose the awful truth

I'm listening to Public Enemy and Reagan Youth