IndiaDivine.org

rutabega

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I was given a whole bunch of these by a friend who is traveling and

won't be able to use them......what do I do? I've never cooked one

before. I would apreciate any creative help from my vegan friends!

-Cort

rutabagas can be prepared a lot like potatoes...roasted, mashed, in soups and stews, steamed, stir fried etc..

they are also good raw...just peel em and eat em like that, toss em in a salad, etc and so forth

i've had em sauteed with just onions and they were yummy

if i had the time, i'd dig up some tasty recipes...alas, new job limits e-amil time fer lil ol me..and still no access at home (ongoing disaster)

have you tried looking on vegweb?

cheers

fraggle

massagesister Nov 5, 2007 2:57 PM rutabega

I was given a whole bunch of these by a friend who is traveling and won't be able to use them......what do I do? I've never cooked one before. I would apreciate any creative help from my vegan friends!-Cort

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Confucius

hahahaha

i wouldn't hide em

they are a cruciferous veggie..even if they look like a turnip....so, think of em as a solid cabbage

heh

massagesister Nov 6, 2007 8:26 AM Re: rutabega

Hey thanks for the ideas Fraggle! Maybe I'll hide some in my beet soup!-cort

Confucius

what the hell is one of those? another american name for a vegetable like egg plant or zuccini?

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 4:20:02 PMRe: rutabega

rutabagas can be prepared a lot like potatoes...roasted, mashed, in soups and stews, steamed, stir fried etc..

they are also good raw...just peel em and eat em like that, toss em in a salad, etc and so forth

i've had em sauteed with just onions and they were yummy

if i had the time, i'd dig up some tasty recipes...alas, new job limits e-amil time fer lil ol me..and still no access at home (ongoing disaster)

have you tried looking on vegweb?

cheers

fraggle

massagesister Nov 5, 2007 2:57 PM @gro ups.com rutabega

I was given a whole bunch of these by a friend who is traveling and won't be able to use them......what do I do? I've never cooked one before. I would apreciate any creative help from my vegan friends!-Cort

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit For Good this month.

What the hell is one of those? Well, it's a tubor of some sort...and

the ones I have are about the size and shape of softballs....they are

whiteish with pinkish tips.....thats all I know. It does sound like

an " american " name, I'm sure you know them as something much more

elegant and properly discriptive.

-cort

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> what the hell is one of those? another american name for a

vegetable like egg plant or zuccini?

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

> fraggle <EBbrewpunx

>

> Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 4:20:02 PM

> Re: rutabega

>

> rutabagas can be prepared a lot like potatoes...roasted, mashed, in

soups and stews, steamed, stir fried etc..

> they are also good raw...just peel em and eat em like that, toss em

in a salad, etc and so forth

> i've had em sauteed with just onions and they were yummy

> if i had the time, i'd dig up some tasty recipes...alas, new job

limits e-amil time fer lil ol me..and still no access at home

(ongoing disaster)

> have you tried looking on vegweb?

> cheers

> fraggle

>

>

>

>

> massagesister

> Nov 5, 2007 2:57 PM

> @gro ups.com

> rutabega

>

>

> I was given a whole bunch of these by a friend who is traveling and

> won't be able to use them......what do I do? I've never cooked one

> before. I would apreciate any creative help from my vegan friends!

>

> -Cort

>

>

>

> Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

> Confucius

>

>

>

> _________

> Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the

answer. Try it

> now.

> http://uk.answers./

>

Sounds a bit like a turnip?

Peter H

massagesister <massagesister Sent: Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 5:29:09 PM Re: rutabega

What the hell is one of those? Well, it's a tubor of some sort...and the ones I have are about the size and shape of softballs... .they are whiteish with pinkish tips.....thats all I know. It does sound like an "american" name, I'm sure you know them as something much more elegant and properly discriptive.-cort@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> what the hell is one of those? another american name for a vegetable like egg plant or zuccini?> > Peter H > > > > > > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ ...>> @gro

ups.com> Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 4:20:02 PM> Re: rutabega> > rutabagas can be prepared a lot like potatoes...roasted, mashed, in soups and stews, steamed, stir fried etc..> they are also good raw...just peel em and eat em like that, toss em in a salad, etc and so forth> i've had em sauteed with just onions and they were yummy> if i had the time, i'd dig up some tasty recipes...alas, new job limits e-amil time fer lil ol me..and still no access at home (ongoing disaster)> have you tried looking on vegweb?> cheers> fraggle> > > > > massagesister > Nov 5, 2007 2:57 PM > @gro ups.com > rutabega > > > I was given a whole bunch of these by a friend who is traveling and > won't be

able to use them......what do I do? I've never cooked one > before. I would apreciate any creative help from my vegan friends!> > -Cort> > > > Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. > Confucius> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it> now.> http://uk.answers. />

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try

it now.

um...yeah, I think it might be a turnip now that you mention it. Can

anybody confirm that?

-cort

ps...just made a big batch of pesto!! yum...im gonna get fat this

winter!

>

> Sounds a bit like a turnip?

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

> massagesister <massagesister

>

> Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 5:29:09 PM

>

> What the hell is one of those? Well, it's a tubor of some

sort...and

> the ones I have are about the size and shape of softballs... .they

are

> whiteish with pinkish tips.....thats all I know. It does sound like

> an " american " name, I'm sure you know them as something much more

> elegant and properly discriptive.

>

> -cort

>

> @gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01@ > wrote:

> >

> > what the hell is one of those? another american name for a

> vegetable like egg plant or zuccini?

> >

> > Peter H

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ ...>

> > @gro ups.com

> > Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 4:20:02 PM

> > Re: rutabega

> >

> > rutabagas can be prepared a lot like potatoes...roasted, mashed,

in

> soups and stews, steamed, stir fried etc..

> > they are also good raw...just peel em and eat em like that, toss

em

> in a salad, etc and so forth

> > i've had em sauteed with just onions and they were yummy

> > if i had the time, i'd dig up some tasty recipes...alas, new job

> limits e-amil time fer lil ol me..and still no access at home

> (ongoing disaster)

> > have you tried looking on vegweb?

> > cheers

> > fraggle

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > massagesister

> > Nov 5, 2007 2:57 PM

> > @gro ups.com

> > rutabega

> >

> >

> > I was given a whole bunch of these by a friend who is traveling

and

> > won't be able to use them......what do I do? I've never cooked

one

> > before. I would apreciate any creative help from my vegan friends!

> >

> > -Cort

> >

> >

> >

> > Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

> > Confucius

> >

> >

> >

> > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

> > Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the

> answer. Try it

> > now.

> > http://uk.answers. /

> _________

> Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit For

Good http://uk.promotions./forgood/environment.html

>

pesto without chrrse I hope! send some to Wales!

Peter H

massagesister <massagesister Sent: Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 6:25:22 PM Re: rutabega

um...yeah, I think it might be a turnip now that you mention it. Can anybody confirm that?-cortps...just made a big batch of pesto!! yum...im gonna get fat this winter!@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Sounds a bit like a turnip?> > Peter H > > > > > > massagesister <massagesister@ ...>> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 5:29:09 PM> Re: rutabega> > What the hell is one of those? Well, it's a tubor of some sort...and > the ones I

have are about the size and shape of softballs... .they are > whiteish with pinkish tips.....thats all I know. It does sound like > an "american" name, I'm sure you know them as something much more > elegant and properly discriptive.> > -cort> > @gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01@ > wrote:> >> > what the hell is one of those? another american name for a > vegetable like egg plant or zuccini?> > > > Peter H > > > > > > > > > > > > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ ...>> > @gro ups.com> > Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 4:20:02 PM> > Re: rutabega> > > > rutabagas can be prepared a lot like potatoes...roasted, mashed, in > soups and stews, steamed,

stir fried etc..> > they are also good raw...just peel em and eat em like that, toss em > in a salad, etc and so forth> > i've had em sauteed with just onions and they were yummy> > if i had the time, i'd dig up some tasty recipes...alas, new job > limits e-amil time fer lil ol me..and still no access at home > (ongoing disaster)> > have you tried looking on vegweb?> > cheers> > fraggle> > > > > > > > > > massagesister > > Nov 5, 2007 2:57 PM > > @gro ups.com > > rutabega > > > > > > I was given a whole bunch of these by a friend who is traveling and > > won't be able to use them......what do I do? I've never cooked one > > before. I would apreciate any

creative help from my vegan friends!> > > > -Cort> > > > > > > > Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. > > Confucius> > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> > Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the > answer. Try it> > now.> > http://uk.answers. /> >> > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _ > Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit For Good http://uk.promotion s./ forgood/environm

ent.html>

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try

it now.

they're called swedes over across the pond

turnip like tuber....member of the cruciferous family

Peter VV Nov 6, 2007 10:22 AM Re: Re: rutabega

Peter H

massagesister <massagesister > Sent: Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 5:29:09 PM Re: rutabega

What the hell is one of those? Well, it's a tubor of some sort...and the ones I have are about the size and shape of softballs... .they are whiteish with pinkish tips.....thats all I know. It does sound like an "american" name, I'm sure you know them as something much more elegant and properly discriptive.-cort@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> what the hell is one of those? another american name for a vegetable like egg plant or zuccini?> > Peter H > > > > > > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ ...>> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 4:20:02 PM> Re: rutabega> > rutabagas can be prepared a lot like potatoes...roasted, mashed, in soups and stews, steamed, stir fried etc..> they are also good raw...just peel em and eat em like that, toss em in a salad, etc and so forth> i've had em sauteed with just onions and they were yummy> if i had the time, i'd dig up some tasty recipes...alas, new job limits e-amil time fer lil ol me..and still no access at home (ongoing disaster)> have you tried looking on vegweb?> cheers> fraggle> > > > > massagesister > Nov 5, 2007 2:57 PM > @gro ups.com > rutabega > > > I was given a whole bunch of these by a friend who is traveling and > won't be able to use them......what do I do? I've never cooked one > before. I would apreciate any creative help from my vegan friends!> > -Cort> > > > Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. > Confucius> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it> now.> http://uk.answers. />

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try it now.

Confucius

Rutabaga

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Learn more about citing Wikipedia •

Jump to: navigation, search

Rutabaga, KÃ¥lrot

Scientific classification

Kingdom:

Plantae

Division:

Magnoliophyta

Class:

Magnoliopsida

Order:

Brassicales

Family:

Brassicaceae

Genus:

Brassica

Species:

Napobrassica

Binomial name

Brassica napobrassicaMill.

The rutabaga, swede or (yellow) turnip (Brassica napobrassica, or Brassica napus var. napobrassica) is a root vegetable that originated as a cross between the cabbage and the turnip—see the turnip disambiguation page. Its leaves may also be eaten as a leaf vegetable.

"Rutabaga" (from dialectal Swedish "rotabagge", root ram) is the common American term for the plant, while "swede" (Swede) is the preferred term used in much of England, Wales, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. In the U.S., it is also known as "Swedish turnip" or "yellow turnip", while in Atlantic Canada, where turnips are relatively unknown, it is called turnip. In Scotland it is commonly referred to as "swede" or "Swedish turnip", and the turnip instead is called a "white turnip" or simply "turnip". Scots will refer to both types by the generic term "neep" (a contraction of the archaic pronunciation "turneep"). Prior to pumpkins being readily available in the UK (a relatively recent innovation), turnips were hollowed out and carved with faces to make lanterns for Halloween. Often called "jack o'lanterns," they were the ancient symbol of a damned soul. This custom also occurred in Ferryhill in County Durham. In North-East England, turnips and swedes/rutabagas are colloquially called "snadgies". They should not be confused with the large beet known as a mangelwurzels. In Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, swedes are often mashed together with carrots as part of the traditional Sunday roast.

Its common name in Sweden is "kålrot" (cabbage root). In Norway it is also called "kålrot", but often also "kålrabi" (which in Sweden and Denmark means kohlrabi).

Some claim the vegetable is native to Sweden, but others think it was introduced to Sweden, possibly from Finland or Siberia, in the early 17th century.[citation needed] From Sweden, it reached Scotland, and from there it spread to the rest of Great Britain and to North America. In continental Europe, it acquired a bad reputation during World War I, when it became a food of last resort. In the German Steckrübenwinter (swede/rutabaga winter) of 1916–17, large parts of the population were kept alive on a diet consisting of rutabagas and little else. After the war, most people were so tired of rutabagas that they gained a reputation as a "famine food," which reputation they have retained to the present day.[citation needed] As a consequence, they are rarely planted in Germany. During World War II swedes were often used as filler in "mixed fruit" jams in Britain.

The Swedes cook rutabagas with potatoes and carrots and mash them with butter and milk to create a puree called "rotmos" (root mash). In Scotland, rutabagas and potatoes are boiled and mashed separately to produce "tatties and neeps" ("tatties" being the Scots word for potatoes), traditionally served with the Scottish national dish of haggis as the main course of a Burns supper. Neeps may also be mashed with potatoes to make clapshot. Regional variations include the addition of onions to clapshot in Orkney. Neeps are also extensively used in soups and stews. In Norway, swedes/rutabagas are mixed with potatoes, carrots, onion and cream to make a similar mash called "kålrabistappe". In Canada rutabagas are used as filler in foods such as mincemeat and Christmas cake, or as a side dish with Sunday dinner in Atlantic Canada. In the US, rutabagas are mostly eaten as part of stews or casseroles, are served mashed with carrots, or baked in a pasty.

The town of Cumberland, Wisconsin, U.S., celebrates a "Rutabaga Festival" each year, always the weekend preceding Labor Day Weekend. The International Rutabaga Curling Championship annually takes place at the Ithaca, NY, farmer's market.

massagesister Nov 6, 2007 10:25 AM Re: rutabega

um...yeah, I think it might be a turnip now that you mention it. Can anybody confirm that?-cortps...just made a big batch of pesto!! yum...im gonna get fat this winter! , Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:>> Sounds a bit like a turnip?> > Peter H > > > > > > massagesister <massagesister> > Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 5:29:09 PM> Re: rutabega> > What the hell is one of those? Well, it's a tubor of some sort...and > the ones I have are about the size and shape of softballs... .they are > whiteish with pinkish tips.....thats all I know. It does sound like > an "american" name, I'm sure you know them as something much more > elegant and properly discriptive.> > -cort> > @gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01@ > wrote:> >> > what the hell is one of those? another american name for a > vegetable like egg plant or zuccini?> > > > Peter H > > > > > > > > > > > > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ ...>> > @gro ups.com> > Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 4:20:02 PM> > Re: rutabega> > > > rutabagas can be prepared a lot like potatoes...roasted, mashed, in > soups and stews, steamed, stir fried etc..> > they are also good raw...just peel em and eat em like that, toss em > in a salad, etc and so forth> > i've had em sauteed with just onions and they were yummy> > if i had the time, i'd dig up some tasty recipes...alas, new job > limits e-amil time fer lil ol me..and still no access at home > (ongoing disaster)> > have you tried looking on vegweb?> > cheers> > fraggle> > > > > > > > > > massagesister > > Nov 5, 2007 2:57 PM > > @gro ups.com > > rutabega > > > > > > I was given a whole bunch of these by a friend who is traveling and > > won't be able to use them......what do I do? I've never cooked one > > before. I would apreciate any creative help from my vegan friends!> > > > -Cort> > > > > > > > Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. > > Confucius> > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> > Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the > answer. Try it> > now.> > http://uk.answers. /> >> > > > > > ________ > Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint? Visit For Good http://uk.promotions./forgood/environment.html>

Confucius

Bleargh!

I hate swedes, too strong a taste for me.My wife loves em.

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 9:13:42 PMRe: Re: rutabega

they're called swedes over across the pond

turnip like tuber....member of the cruciferous family

Peter VV Nov 6, 2007 10:22 AM @gro ups.com Re: Re: rutabega

Peter H

massagesister <massagesister@ >@gro ups.comTuesday, 6 November, 2007 5:29:09 PM Re: rutabega

What the hell is one of those? Well, it's a tubor of some sort...and the ones I have are about the size and shape of softballs... .they are whiteish with pinkish tips.....thats all I know. It does sound like an "american" name, I'm sure you know them as something much more elegant and properly discriptive.-cort@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> what the hell is one of those? another american name for a vegetable like egg plant or zuccini?> > Peter H > > > > > > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ ...>> @gro

ups.com> Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 4:20:02 PM> Re: rutabega> > rutabagas can be prepared a lot like potatoes...roasted, mashed, in soups and stews, steamed, stir fried etc..> they are also good raw...just peel em and eat em like that, toss em in a salad, etc and so forth> i've had em sauteed with just onions and they were yummy> if i had the time, i'd dig up some tasty recipes...alas, new job limits e-amil time fer lil ol me..and still no access at home (ongoing disaster)> have you tried looking on vegweb?> cheers> fraggle> > > > > massagesister > Nov 5, 2007 2:57 PM > @gro ups.com > rutabega > > > I was given a whole bunch of these by a friend who is traveling and > won't be

able to use them......what do I do? I've never cooked one > before. I would apreciate any creative help from my vegan friends!> > -Cort> > > > Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. > Confucius> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it> now.> http://uk.answers. />

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try it now.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit For Good this month.

I love swedes - preferably mashed, but also good diced as a vegetable

or included in stews.

Jo

>

> Bleargh!

> I hate swedes, too strong a taste for me.My wife loves em.

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

> fraggle <EBbrewpunx

>

> Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 9:13:42 PM

> Re: Re: rutabega

>

> they're called swedes over across the pond

> turnip like tuber....member of the cruciferous family

>

>

>

>

> Peter VV

> Nov 6, 2007 10:22 AM

> @gro ups.com

> Re: Re: rutabega

>

>

> Sounds a bit like a turnip?

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

> massagesister <massagesister@ >

> @gro ups.com

> Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 5:29:09 PM

>

>

> What the hell is one of those? Well, it's a tubor of some

sort...and

> the ones I have are about the size and shape of softballs... .they

are

> whiteish with pinkish tips.....thats all I know. It does sound like

> an " american " name, I'm sure you know them as something much more

> elegant and properly discriptive.

>

> -cort

>

> @gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01@ > wrote:

> >

> > what the hell is one of those? another american name for a

> vegetable like egg plant or zuccini?

> >

> > Peter H

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ ...>

> > @gro ups.com

> > Tuesday, 6 November, 2007 4:20:02 PM

> > Re: rutabega

> >

> > rutabagas can be prepared a lot like potatoes...roasted, mashed,

in

> soups and stews, steamed, stir fried etc..

> > they are also good raw...just peel em and eat em like that, toss

em

> in a salad, etc and so forth

> > i've had em sauteed with just onions and they were yummy

> > if i had the time, i'd dig up some tasty recipes...alas, new job

> limits e-amil time fer lil ol me..and still no access at home

> (ongoing disaster)

> > have you tried looking on vegweb?

> > cheers

> > fraggle

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > massagesister

> > Nov 5, 2007 2:57 PM

> > @gro ups.com

> > rutabega

> >

> >

> > I was given a whole bunch of these by a friend who is traveling

and

> > won't be able to use them......what do I do? I've never cooked

one

> > before. I would apreciate any creative help from my vegan friends!

> >

> > -Cort

> >

> >

> >

> > Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

> > Confucius

> >

> >

> >

> > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

> > Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the

> answer. Try it

> > now.

> > http://uk.answers. /

> >

>

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try it

now.

>

> Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

> Confucius

>

>

>

> _________

> Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the

answer. Try it

> now.

> http://uk.answers./

>