IndiaDivine.org

more questions...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

ok so i have dropped it all the best i could, thus far! no trouble the

thing i am getting hung up on are the details...

do all vegans use products that are cruelty free? or is that another

step? i realize the products are always free of animal products..

can it be just eggs milk and animl meats? for instance i have a jelly

that doesnt identify the sugar as organic or vegan but the rest of the

ingredients are ok. is that ok to eat?

What about an animal free bread but was made in the same factory that

has eggs and milk?

what about eating out? is it safe to assume rice is ok and steamed

veggies? what about tortillas etc?

i just need more details!

We *try* to be cruelty-free but there are areas we have no control over (i.e. medications that *may* have animal ingredients but regardless by law *must* be tested on animals, tires, etc.). Sugar is up to each person, some avoid unknown sources others will eat them. But most companies are good about letting you know their sources if you contact them. Foods that have the " made in a factory with eggs and dairy " or " may contain eggs, dairy, etc. " are generally OK. It's more of a CTA for the companies for people who have severe food allergies (although it helps us!). They clean the machines between but there can be *some* cross contamination but it's probably highly unlikely. Some companies may be Vegan but have to use shared equipment as they are unable to produce it themselves. The only company that I'm aware of that's 100% vegan and makes their own product is Temptation Ice Cream.

But if it says " less than 2% of whatever " then that definitely has animal ingredients and we stay away from. Which is why a lot of folks have issues with PETA's list because they have items on there that have animal ingredients even if a small amount. PETA is " OK " with it if it's 99.99% vegan; while most vegans aren't OK with it.I rarely eat out but I always ask them if it's not a Vegan place. *Some* tortillas may have lard in them so you do have to ask. The rice is probably just water, but you do want to ask. The steamed veggies should be OK, most nuke them in the microwave, just be sure they don't add butter to it. And even items that you know are safe you still have to stay on top of as they change recipes (i.e. Oreos use to not be vegan but they changed their recipe and they're vegan now; someone found out that a beer they like is vegan in cans but is not vegan on tap). On 11/22/07, angelicammo <ammo913 wrote:

ok so i have dropped it all the best i could, thus far! no trouble thething i am getting hung up on are the details...do all vegans use products that are cruelty free? or is that anotherstep? i realize the products are always free of animal products..

can it be just eggs milk and animl meats? for instance i have a jellythat doesnt identify the sugar as organic or vegan but the rest of theingredients are ok. is that ok to eat?What about an animal free bread but was made in the same factory that

has eggs and milk?what about eating out? is it safe to assume rice is ok and steamedveggies? what about tortillas etc?i just need more details!To send an email to

-

Thank you that helps! this is hard to get the hang of! i eat out allot! lastnight had indian food and had one of their veg platers-did some reasearch before we left on what food i could eat and i just hoped because they didnt speak english that well. so its each vegan to his own kinda? I mean i want to try try my best but i dont want to make anyone look bad along the way. Read today that it looks like my margarine is vegan? no animal products.. list of ingreidents that i dont know but i had printed out a HUGE list of hidden animal ingredients and non were there! i was surprised! I guess basically you do the best you can do! i just feel like for some people their best is one non meat meal a week, some its vegitarianism and for me i cant except anything less than perfect and i need it quickly!!! Any info and tips that get me there faster is great! thank you so so much!

Thanks,

Alicia Marie M. O.(AmMo)

Like Jewelry? Like Art?

Visit my site! A selection of Hand Made Jewelry by me!www.freewebs.com/angelicammo

Consider AVON for the holidays!! Email me For AVON info

From: mikeygrl9915Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 01:52:15 -0600Re: more questions...

We *try* to be cruelty-free but there are areas we have no control over (i.e. medications that *may* have animal ingredients but regardless by law *must* be tested on animals, tires, etc.). Sugar is up to each person, some avoid unknown sources others will eat them. But most companies are good about letting you know their sources if you contact them. Foods that have the "made in a factory with eggs and dairy" or "may contain eggs, dairy, etc." are generally OK. It's more of a CTA for the companies for people who have severe food allergies (although it helps us!). They clean the machines between but there can be *some* cross contamination but it's probably highly unlikely. Some companies may be Vegan but have to use shared equipment as they are unable to produce it themselves. The only company that I'm aware of that's 100% vegan and makes their own product is Temptation Ice Cream. But if it says "less than 2% of whatever" then that definitely has animal ingredients and we stay away from. Which is why a lot of folks have issues with PETA's list because they have items on there that have animal ingredients even if a small amount. PETA is "OK" with it if it's 99.99% vegan; while most vegans aren't OK with it.I rarely eat out but I always ask them if it's not a Vegan place. *Some* tortillas may have lard in them so you do have to ask. The rice is probably just water, but you do want to ask. The steamed veggies should be OK, most nuke them in the microwave, just be sure they don't add butter to it. And even items that you know are safe you still have to stay on top of as they change recipes (i.e. Oreos use to not be vegan but they changed their recipe and they're vegan now; someone found out that a beer they like is vegan in cans but is not vegan on tap).

On 11/22/07, angelicammo <ammo913 (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> wrote: ok so i have dropped it all the best i could, thus far! no trouble thething i am getting hung up on are the details...do all vegans use products that are cruelty free? or is that anotherstep? i realize the products are always free of animal products.. can it be just eggs milk and animl meats? for instance i have a jellythat doesnt identify the sugar as organic or vegan but the rest of theingredients are ok. is that ok to eat?What about an animal free bread but was made in the same factory that has eggs and milk?what about eating out? is it safe to assume rice is ok and steamedveggies? what about tortillas etc?i just need more details!To send an email to -

I think all vegans use cruelty free products. Most check products very

carefully for animal ingredients, and usually avoid them until they are

certain. Some vegans avoid vegan items made in factories where non-vegan

items are made, some don't mind. I would never assume anything in a

restaurant is vegan unless I checked.

Jo

-

" angelicammo " <ammo913

Thursday, November 22, 2007 7:53 PM

more questions...

> ok so i have dropped it all the best i could, thus far! no trouble the

> thing i am getting hung up on are the details...

>

> do all vegans use products that are cruelty free? or is that another

> step? i realize the products are always free of animal products..

>

> can it be just eggs milk and animl meats? for instance i have a jelly

> that doesnt identify the sugar as organic or vegan but the rest of the

> ingredients are ok. is that ok to eat?

>

> What about an animal free bread but was made in the same factory that

> has eggs and milk?

>

> what about eating out? is it safe to assume rice is ok and steamed

> veggies? what about tortillas etc?

>

> i just need more details!

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Hi Angelica,

So many questions!

As I have said previously we are all individuals ( I am glad to say ) and we all have our own decisions to make. I would say that by definition, being vegan means that you use no product that contains any animal derived ingredient. Choosing cruelty free is the natural progression. Most ( if not all ) use cruelty free products, and most choose the manufacturers carefully ( damn Proctor & gamble, nestle , iams etc).

Lebels on products have started to state that an item is produced in a factory where milk is used. This is probably to avoid any legal gubbins, as in this day and age every one is scared of being sued ...........Its a personal thing. I myself will use a product that has no non vegan ingredients, but is produced in a factory where milk is used, others wont.

Jelly is mostly made with pork gelatine, be very carefull, it should be labelled as such. There are vegan alternatives out there, they are just harder to find.

I would suggest that you join an organisation such as the vegan society ( depending on where you live ), or look at the following web site which contains loads of info :

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/

Peter H

angelicammo <ammo913 Sent: Thursday, 22 November, 2007 7:53:40 PM more questions...

ok so i have dropped it all the best i could, thus far! no trouble the thing i am getting hung up on are the details...do all vegans use products that are cruelty free? or is that another step? i realize the products are always free of animal products..can it be just eggs milk and animl meats? for instance i have a jelly that doesnt identify the sugar as organic or vegan but the rest of the ingredients are ok. is that ok to eat?What about an animal free bread but was made in the same factory that has eggs and milk?what about eating out? is it safe to assume rice is ok and steamed veggies? what about tortillas etc?i just need more details!

For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit For Good this month.

what would the pork gelatine be labled as? cause i dont see it!ahhhh

Thanks,

Alicia Marie M. O.(AmMo)

Like Jewelry? Like Art?

Visit my site! A selection of Hand Made Jewelry by me!www.freewebs.com/angelicammo

From: swpgh01Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 21:36:39 +0000Re: more questions...

Hi Angelica,

So many questions!

As I have said previously we are all individuals ( I am glad to say ) and we all have our own decisions to make. I would say that by definition, being vegan means that you use no product that contains any animal derived ingredient. Choosing cruelty free is the natural progression. Most ( if not all ) use cruelty free products, and most choose the manufacturers carefully ( damn Proctor & gamble, nestle , iams etc).

Lebels on products have started to state that an item is produced in a factory where milk is used. This is probably to avoid any legal gubbins, as in this day and age every one is scared of being sued ...........Its a personal thing. I myself will use a product that has no non vegan ingredients, but is produced in a factory where milk is used, others wont.

Jelly is mostly made with pork gelatine, be very carefull, it should be labelled as such. There are vegan alternatives out there, they are just harder to find.

I would suggest that you join an organisation such as the vegan society ( depending on where you live ), or look at the following web site which contains loads of info :

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/

Peter H

angelicammo <ammo913 (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> Sent: Thursday, 22 November, 2007 7:53:40 PM more questions...

ok so i have dropped it all the best i could, thus far! no trouble the thing i am getting hung up on are the details...do all vegans use products that are cruelty free? or is that another step? i realize the products are always free of animal products..can it be just eggs milk and animl meats? for instance i have a jelly that doesnt identify the sugar as organic or vegan but the rest of the ingredients are ok. is that ok to eat?What about an animal free bread but was made in the same factory that has eggs and milk?what about eating out? is it safe to assume rice is ok and steamed veggies? what about tortillas etc?i just need more details!

For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit For Good this month. Your smile counts. The more smiles you share, the more we donate. Join in!

>

>

>what about eating out? is it safe to assume rice is ok and steamed

>veggies? what about tortillas etc?

hah, just the opposite! assume that everything (rice, beans,

tortillas) in a mexican restaurant has either lard or chicken broth

in it. now, i live 15 miles from tijuana, mexico (san diego) and

that's the rule here; it might be different elsewhere but i can't

imagine why it would be. my favorite is a local hip mexican joint

that actually advertises its food as being available in " vegan "

versions, then fries up its " vegan " chimichangas in the same oil as

its meat dishes. even the " vegan " chips are fried in this oil. i

don't eat there.

traditionally, everything in indian restaurants used ghee, or

clarified butter. nowadays, i don't think its cost effective, and

most use vegetable oil.

even pastas in italian places use chicken broths to cook the pasta.

assume that in decent restaurants, *everything* is made with butter

or broth: veg, rice, etc.

the rule is to just *ask*. tell them you are allergic to dairy; they

will make sure you're not getting any rogue dabs of butter in there.

my mother is allergic to shellfish and is very clean when ordering to

make sure there isn't any shellfish in the dish of her choice

(usually, unfortunately, steak).

watch out for the " vegetarian " dish on any menu. to a lot of chefs,

that means it doesn't have any meat in it, but might have broths from

bones, etc., or plenty of butter, etc.

good luck! it's a challenge, but doable. call first! i find that

chefs tend to enjoy folks who like something a little different, and

if they do it right call them out to sing their praises. they love

that too.

all in all, compared to the past, it's a veritable golden age for

vegetarians and vegans regarding availability, social acceptance,

value, etc.

regards,

blake

At 7:53 PM +0000 11/22/07, angelicammo wrote:

>ok so i have dropped it all the best i could, thus far! no

trouble the

>thing i am getting hung up on are the details...

Don't miss these details:

For *optimum* vegan nutrition, MIchael Greger, MD, recommends

vitamin B-12 (from fortified foods or supplements), and ground

flaxseed. His Optimum Vegetarian Nutrition talk is at

http://www.veganmd.org/talks/

The amount of B-12 is

once a week: one 2000 mcg tablet

or

once a day: 10-100 mcg

or

B-12 fortified foods twice a day, each with at least " 20

percent RDA " of B-12 on the label, such as a cup of fortified soy

or rice milk or a teaspoon of B-12-fortified nutritional yeast.

For omega-3 EFAs, eat 2 tablespoons a day of ground flaxseed.

Also, avoid all partially hydrogenated fats and deep-fried items as

well as veg oils high in omega-6 EFAs (corn, safflower, sunflower,

cottonseed).

See also http://www.nutrispeak.com/veganfoodguide.htm

Yes I totally forgot about the butter! On 11/25/07, Blake Wilson <mbw wrote:

>>>what about eating out? is it safe to assume rice is ok and steamed>veggies? what about tortillas etc?hah, just the opposite! assume that everything (rice, beans,tortillas) in a mexican restaurant has either lard or chicken broth

in it. now, i live 15 miles from tijuana, mexico (san diego) andthat's the rule here; it might be different elsewhere but i can'timagine why it would be. my favorite is a local hip mexican jointthat actually advertises its food as being available in " vegan "

versions, then fries up its " vegan " chimichangas in the same oil asits meat dishes. even the " vegan " chips are fried in this oil. idon't eat there.traditionally, everything in indian restaurants used ghee, or

clarified butter. nowadays, i don't think its cost effective, andmost use vegetable oil.even pastas in italian places use chicken broths to cook the pasta.assume that in decent restaurants, *everything* is made with butter

or broth: veg, rice, etc.the rule is to just *ask*. tell them you are allergic to dairy; theywill make sure you're not getting any rogue dabs of butter in there.my mother is allergic to shellfish and is very clean when ordering to

make sure there isn't any shellfish in the dish of her choice(usually, unfortunately, steak).watch out for the " vegetarian " dish on any menu. to a lot of chefs,that means it doesn't have any meat in it, but might have broths from

bones, etc., or plenty of butter, etc.good luck! it's a challenge, but doable. call first! i find thatchefs tend to enjoy folks who like something a little different, andif they do it right call them out to sing their praises. they love

that too.all in all, compared to the past, it's a veritable golden age forvegetarians and vegans regarding availability, social acceptance,value, etc.regards,blakeTo send an email to -

As long as you do your homework you'll be fine. And there are times where we ask our million questions and still end up mislead. Just make a note of it and move on :)On 11/23/07, Momma AmMo <ammo913 wrote:

Thank you that helps! this is hard to get the hang of! i eat out allot! lastnight had indian food and had one of their veg platers-did some reasearch before we left on what food i could eat and i just hoped because they didnt speak english that well. so its each vegan to his own kinda? I mean i want to try try my best but i dont want to make anyone look bad along the way. Read today that it looks like my margarine is vegan? no animal products.. list of ingreidents that i dont know but i had printed out a HUGE list of hidden animal ingredients and non were there! i was surprised! I guess basically you do the best you can do! i just feel like for some people their best is one non meat meal a week, some its vegitarianism and for me i cant except anything less than perfect and i need it quickly!!! Any info and tips that get me there faster is great! thank you so so much!

Thanks,

Alicia Marie M. O.(AmMo)

Like Jewelry? Like Art?

Visit my site! A selection of Hand Made Jewelry by me!

www.freewebs.com/angelicammo

mikeygrl9915Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 01:52:15 -0600Re: more questions...

We *try* to be cruelty-free but there are areas we have no control over (i.e. medications that *may* have animal ingredients but regardless by law *must* be tested on animals, tires, etc.). Sugar is up to each person, some avoid unknown sources others will eat them. But most companies are good about letting you know their sources if you contact them. Foods that have the " made in a factory with eggs and dairy " or " may contain eggs, dairy, etc. " are generally OK. It's more of a CTA for the companies for people who have severe food allergies (although it helps us!). They clean the machines between but there can be *some* cross contamination but it's probably highly unlikely. Some companies may be Vegan but have to use shared equipment as they are unable to produce it themselves. The only company that I'm aware of that's 100% vegan and makes their own product is Temptation Ice Cream. But if it says " less than 2% of whatever " then that definitely has animal ingredients and we stay away from. Which is why a lot of folks have issues with PETA's list because they have items on there that have animal ingredients even if a small amount. PETA is " OK " with it if it's 99.99% vegan; while most vegans aren't OK with it.I rarely eat out but I always ask them if it's not a Vegan place. *Some* tortillas may have lard in them so you do have to ask. The rice is probably just water, but you do want to ask. The steamed veggies should be OK, most nuke them in the microwave, just be sure they don't add butter to it. And even items that you know are safe you still have to stay on top of as they change recipes (i.e. Oreos use to not be vegan but they changed their recipe and they're vegan now; someone found out that a beer they like is vegan in cans but is not vegan on tap).

On 11/22/07, angelicammo <ammo913 wrote: ok so i have dropped it all the best i could, thus far! no trouble thething i am getting hung up on are the details...do all vegans use products that are cruelty free? or is that anotherstep? i realize the products are always free of animal products.. can it be just eggs milk and animl meats? for instance i have a jellythat doesnt identify the sugar as organic or vegan but the rest of theingredients are ok. is that ok to eat?What about an animal free bread but was made in the same factory that has eggs and milk?what about eating out? is it safe to assume rice is ok and steamedveggies? what about tortillas etc?i just need more details!To send an email to

-

Wouldn't it be best to go for 100% rda on B12 than 20%?

Jo

, yarrow wrote:

>

> At 7:53 PM +0000 11/22/07, angelicammo wrote:

> >ok so i have dropped it all the best i could, thus far! no trouble

the

> >thing i am getting hung up on are the details...

>

> Don't miss these details:

>

> For *optimum* vegan nutrition, MIchael Greger, MD, recommends

vitamin

> B-12 (from fortified foods or supplements), and ground flaxseed.

His

> Optimum Vegetarian Nutrition talk is at

http://www.veganmd.org/talks/

>

> The amount of B-12 is

> once a week: one 2000 mcg tablet

> or

> once a day: 10-100 mcg

> or

> B-12 fortified foods twice a day, each with at least " 20 percent

RDA "

> of B-12 on the label, such as a cup of fortified soy or rice milk

or

> a teaspoon of B-12-fortified nutritional yeast.

>

> For omega-3 EFAs, eat 2 tablespoons a day of ground flaxseed. Also,

> avoid all partially hydrogenated fats and deep-fried items as well

as

> veg oils high in omega-6 EFAs (corn, safflower, sunflower,

> cottonseed).

>

> See also http://www.nutrispeak.com/veganfoodguide.htm

>

No, though I meant to say 20 percent of the Daily Value. Labeling and

RDAs may be different in other countries, but in the U.S.,

" Whereas the RDA for adults is now 2.4 mcg of vitamin B12, the DV or

Daily Value, a standard used for U.S. labels and based on an earlier

recommended intake, is 6.0 mcg. Thus, a serving that contains 1.2

mcg, or half of our recommended intake (RDA) for the day, is labeled

as providing 20 percent of the DV for vitamin B12. " -- Melina and

Davis, The New Becoming Vegetarian, 2003.

The book also recommends that *everyone* -- including nonvegetarians

-- over the age of fifty take vitamin B12 supplements or fortified

foods because absorption declines with age, and a third of this

cohort has lost the ability to absorb B12 from animal products.

At 7:37 AM +0000 11/26/07, heartwerk wrote:

>Wouldn't it be best to go for 100% rda on B12 than 20%?

>

>Jo

>

> , yarrow wrote:

>>

>> At 7:53 PM +0000 11/22/07, angelicammo wrote:

>> >ok so i have dropped it all the best i could, thus far! no trouble

>the

>> >thing i am getting hung up on are the details...

>>

>> Don't miss these details:

>>

>> For *optimum* vegan nutrition, MIchael Greger, MD, recommends

>vitamin

>> B-12 (from fortified foods or supplements), and ground flaxseed.

>His

>> Optimum Vegetarian Nutrition talk is at

>http://www.veganmd.org/talks/

>>

>> The amount of B-12 is

>> once a week: one 2000 mcg tablet

>> or

>> once a day: 10-100 mcg

>> or

>> B-12 fortified foods twice a day, each with at least " 20 percent

>RDA "

>> of B-12 on the label, such as a cup of fortified soy or rice milk

>or

>> a teaspoon of B-12-fortified nutritional yeast.

>>

>> For omega-3 EFAs, eat 2 tablespoons a day of ground flaxseed. Also,

>> avoid all partially hydrogenated fats and deep-fried items as well

>as

>> veg oils high in omega-6 EFAs (corn, safflower, sunflower,

>> cottonseed).

>>

>> See also http://www.nutrispeak.com/veganfoodguide.htm

>>

>

>

>