IndiaDivine.org

A vegan Christmas dessert

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Wednesday December 12, 2007Guardian Unlimited

Vegan Glorified Rice I grew up eating sweet, fluffy Glorified Rice at grandma's house every Christmas. Grandma and Betty Crocker taught me to mix rice with crushed pineapple, whipped cream and maraschino cherries. But now that so many people in our family are vegan I wanted to come up with a non-dairy, non-Technicolor cherries version. I did it! The flavor is so spot-on, even grandma would approve. Serves 6 to 8 210g shortgrain white ricelarge tin crushed pineapple, well drained100g + 4 tbsp sugar350g pack firm silken tofu2 tbsp fresh lemon juice300g frozen strawberries, sliced, or 300g tinned mandarin oranges, drainedCook the white rice according to the instructions on the pack. While the rice is still hot, place in a large mixing bowl and stir in the crushed pineapple and 100g sugar. Let the mixture rest at room temperature for one hour to cool. Cover and refrigerate until cold. Place the tofu, 4 tbsp sugar and lemon juice in a blender. Blend until completely smooth. Fold the blended tofu into the rice mixture, breaking apart any clumps of rice with a wooden spoon. Top with the strawberries or mandarins and serve.

Peter H

Sent from - a smarter inbox.