Yule/Christmas Shopping

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Has everyone done their Christmas/Yule shopping yet, or still have some to

go, or don't bother.

I think I've finished mine - most presents are wrapped and ready. Just

cards to make for close family now.

Jo

we've gone back to the "don't bother" mode...

last year, rebecca asked "can we do the holidays"...so we did

this year she said "forget it", which was fine with me.....as it really doesn't mean much at all fer lil ol me....

jo Dec 20, 2007 10:59 AM Yule/Christmas Shopping

Has everyone done their Christmas/Yule shopping yet, or still have some togo, or don't bother.I think I've finished mine - most presents are wrapped and ready. Justcards to make for close family now.Jo

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Confucius

I suppose I enjoy it all still because we get quite a long holiday, and share presents among the family. Other people around us enjoy it, and it is catching. I also like the Pagan aspect - it's nice to get out and see the sunrise, and have a breakfast picnic, even if it is freezing!

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:02 PM

Re: Yule/Christmas Shopping

we've gone back to the "don't bother" mode...

last year, rebecca asked "can we do the holidays"...so we did

this year she said "forget it", which was fine with me.....as it really doesn't mean much at all fer lil ol me....

jo Dec 20, 2007 10:59 AM Yule/Christmas Shopping

Has everyone done their Christmas/Yule shopping yet, or still have some togo, or don't bother.I think I've finished mine - most presents are wrapped and ready. Justcards to make for close family now.Jo

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

Just had our kitchen done, so bought the wife a new tumble dryer for Chrimbo,......yes I know I am an old romantic fool........

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Thursday, 20 December, 2007 6:59:03 PM Yule/Christmas Shopping

Sent from - a smarter inbox.

I have plans to make a bunch of gifts, though I don't intend to send

them for a couple weeks.

I just came across this solstice ritual, which sounds appealing. I

may do it if I remember to look for tree seeds outdoors. I don't

normally plant seeds this time of year, but I may try this

" wintersowing " method -- planting in miniature greenhouses, which can

be any plastic container with holes punched in the top and bottom for

air circulation and drainage.

(from Trudi Davidoff at

http://wintersown.org/wseo1/Solstice_Celebration.html):

" Solstice Sow

" On December 21st, please celebrate the Winter Solstice by sowing

four sets of seeds. Each separate set of seeds will honor

Remembrance, Life, Mother Nature and Faith.

" The first set of seeds are seeds of remembrance and should be seeds

of flowers that remind us of someone we knew and loved but who is now

gone from our lives forever.

" The second set of seeds are seeds of life and should be for plants

that will make fruit or nectar and invite birds and butterflies to

our gardens.

" The third set of seeds should be tree seeds. We can honor Mother

Nature by growing trees that will help clean the air we breathe,

reduce excess sun on the soil, and provide shade for our heads on a

hot summer's day.

" The fourth set of seeds are seeds of faith and should be for plants

from a zone that is beyond ours in warmth. It will help us to

remember that we accept the " Leap of Faith " in our hearts and know

that Mother Nature is capable of miracles. I am in zone seven and I

will " Solstice Sow " the seeds of faith for plants that are only hardy

to zone eight. "

()

you might be able to find some acorns around still yarrow, or, if you head up into the hills, some california buckeye

:)

yarrow Dec 20, 2007 7:29 PM Re: Yule/Christmas Shopping

I have plans to make a bunch of gifts, though I don't intend to send them for a couple weeks.I just came across this solstice ritual, which sounds appealing. I may do it if I remember to look for tree seeds outdoors. I don't normally plant seeds this time of year, but I may try this "wintersowing" method -- planting in miniature greenhouses, which can be any plastic container with holes punched in the top and bottom for air circulation and drainage.(from Trudi Davidoff athttp://wintersown.org/wseo1/Solstice_Celebration.html):"Solstice Sow"On December 21st, please celebrate the Winter Solstice by sowing four sets of seeds. Each separate set of seeds will honor Remembrance, Life, Mother Nature and Faith."The first set of seeds are seeds of remembrance and should be seeds of flowers that remind us of someone we knew and loved but who is now gone from our lives forever."The second set of seeds are seeds of life and should be for plants that will make fruit or nectar and invite birds and butterflies to our gardens."The third set of seeds should be tree seeds. We can honor Mother Nature by growing trees that will help clean the air we breathe, reduce excess sun on the soil, and provide shade for our heads on a hot summer's day."The fourth set of seeds are seeds of faith and should be for plants from a zone that is beyond ours in warmth. It will help us to remember that we accept the "Leap of Faith" in our hearts and know that Mother Nature is capable of miracles. I am in zone seven and I will "Solstice Sow" the seeds of faith for plants that are only hardy to zone eight."()

Confucius

Hi Yarrow

Let us know how the seed planting goes.

BB

Jo

-

<yarrow

Friday, December 21, 2007 3:29 AM

> I have plans to make a bunch of gifts, though I don't intend to send

> them for a couple weeks.

>

> I just came across this solstice ritual, which sounds appealing. I

> may do it if I remember to look for tree seeds outdoors. I don't

> normally plant seeds this time of year, but I may try this

> " wintersowing " method -- planting in miniature greenhouses, which can

> be any plastic container with holes punched in the top and bottom for

> air circulation and drainage.

>

> (from Trudi Davidoff at

> http://wintersown.org/wseo1/Solstice_Celebration.html):

>

> " Solstice Sow

> " On December 21st, please celebrate the Winter Solstice by sowing

> four sets of seeds. Each separate set of seeds will honor

> Remembrance, Life, Mother Nature and Faith.

>

> " The first set of seeds are seeds of remembrance and should be seeds

> of flowers that remind us of someone we knew and loved but who is now

> gone from our lives forever.

>

> " The second set of seeds are seeds of life and should be for plants

> that will make fruit or nectar and invite birds and butterflies to

> our gardens.

>

> " The third set of seeds should be tree seeds. We can honor Mother

> Nature by growing trees that will help clean the air we breathe,

> reduce excess sun on the soil, and provide shade for our heads on a

> hot summer's day.

>

> " The fourth set of seeds are seeds of faith and should be for plants

> from a zone that is beyond ours in warmth. It will help us to

> remember that we accept the " Leap of Faith " in our hearts and know

> that Mother Nature is capable of miracles. I am in zone seven and I

> will " Solstice Sow " the seeds of faith for plants that are only hardy

> to zone eight. "

>

> ()

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

HI Peter

With big purchases like that it is often necessary to make them as presents - not many people can afford both, and I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Thursday, December 20, 2007 8:40 PM

Just had our kitchen done, so bought the wife a new tumble dryer for Chrimbo,......yes I know I am an old romantic fool........

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Thursday, 20 December, 2007 6:59:03 PM Yule/Christmas Shopping

Last year I bought her a new iron........................boy do I know how to treat a woman!

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Monday, 24 December, 2007 1:55:54 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

HI Peter

With big purchases like that it is often necessary to make them as presents - not many people can afford both, and I'm sure it will be much appreciated.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Just had our kitchen done, so bought the wife a new tumble dryer for Chrimbo,.... ..yes I know I am an old romantic fool........

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comThursday, 20 December, 2007 6:59:03 PM Yule/Christmas Shopping

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try

it now.

Some good examples of seed for you to collect

Seed from alder cones

Nuts from beech trees

Seed from birch cones

Nuts from hazel (though germination rates can be low)

Acorns from oak

Seed from Scots pine cones

Nuts from sweet chestnut

The acorns/nuts can be put in a bucket of water after collection.The ones that sink are the plumpest and the ones to use, any

that float should be discarded! The alder, birch and Scots pine cones can be put in a paper bag to dry out thoroughly and then

after a few days can be shaken or broken up with your fingers to release the seed.

Alder cone Beech nut Birch cone Hazel nut Acorn Pine cone Sweet

chestnut

I had heard that it is best to bury acorns for six months in sand in the dark before planting them? dont know if its true or not.

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Monday, 24 December, 2007 1:54:25 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Hi YarrowLet us know how the seed planting goes.BBJo- <yarrow<@gro ups.com>Friday, December 21, 2007 3:29 AMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping> I have plans to make a bunch of gifts, though I don't intend to send > them for a couple weeks.> > I just came across this solstice ritual, which sounds appealing. I > may do it if I remember to look for tree seeds outdoors. I don't > normally plant seeds this time of year, but I may try this > "wintersowing" method -- planting in miniature greenhouses, which can > be any plastic container with

holes punched in the top and bottom for > air circulation and drainage.> > (from Trudi Davidoff at> http://wintersown. org/wseo1/ Solstice_ Celebration. html):> > "Solstice Sow> "On December 21st, please celebrate the Winter Solstice by sowing > four sets of seeds. Each separate set of seeds will honor > Remembrance, Life, Mother Nature and Faith.> > "The first set of seeds are seeds of remembrance and should be seeds > of flowers that remind us of someone we knew and loved but who is now > gone from our lives forever.> > "The second set of seeds are seeds of life and should be for plants > that will make fruit or nectar and invite birds and butterflies to > our gardens.> > "The third set of seeds should be tree seeds. We can

honor Mother > Nature by growing trees that will help clean the air we breathe, > reduce excess sun on the soil, and provide shade for our heads on a > hot summer's day.> > "The fourth set of seeds are seeds of faith and should be for plants > from a zone that is beyond ours in warmth. It will help us to > remember that we accept the "Leap of Faith" in our hearts and know > that Mother Nature is capable of miracles. I am in zone seven and I > will "Solstice Sow" the seeds of faith for plants that are only hardy > to zone eight."> > ()> > > To send an email to -unsubscr ibe >

LOL - I think once you have children or are setting up home presents are often the household items you need.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Monday, December 24, 2007 4:42 PM

Last year I bought her a new iron........................boy do I know how to treat a woman!

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Monday, 24 December, 2007 1:55:54 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

HI Peter

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Just had our kitchen done, so bought the wife a new tumble dryer for Chrimbo,.... ..yes I know I am an old romantic fool........

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comThursday, 20 December, 2007 6:59:03 PM Yule/Christmas Shopping

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try it now.

That's very interesting. With regard to acorns - the local squirrels seem to have great success when they bury them in my plant pots!

Jo

-

Peter VV

Monday, December 24, 2007 4:58 PM

Seed from alder cones

Nuts from beech trees

Seed from birch cones

Acorns from oak

Nuts from sweet chestnut

The acorns/nuts can be put in a bucket of water after collection.The ones that sink are the plumpest and the ones to use, any

that float should be discarded! The alder, birch and Scots pine cones can be put in a paper bag to dry out thoroughly and then

after a few days can be shaken or broken up with your fingers to release the seed.

chestnut

I had heard that it is best to bury acorns for six months in sand in the dark before planting them? dont know if its true or not.

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Monday, 24 December, 2007 1:54:25 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Hi YarrowLet us know how the seed planting goes.BBJo- <yarrow<@gro ups.com>Friday, December 21, 2007 3:29 AMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping> I have plans to make a bunch of gifts, though I don't intend to send > them for a couple weeks.> > I just came across this solstice ritual, which sounds appealing. I > may do it if I remember to look for tree seeds outdoors. I don't > normally plant seeds this time of year, but I may try this > "wintersowing" method -- planting in miniature greenhouses, which can > be any plastic container with holes punched in the top and bottom for > air circulation and drainage.> > (from Trudi Davidoff at> http://wintersown. org/wseo1/ Solstice_ Celebration. html):> > "Solstice Sow> "On December 21st, please celebrate the Winter Solstice by sowing > four sets of seeds. Each separate set of seeds will honor > Remembrance, Life, Mother Nature and Faith.> > "The first set of seeds are seeds of remembrance and should be seeds > of flowers that remind us of someone we knew and loved but who is now > gone from our lives forever.> > "The second set of seeds are seeds of life and should be for plants > that will make fruit or nectar and invite birds and butterflies to > our gardens.> > "The third set of seeds should be tree seeds. We can honor Mother > Nature by growing trees that will help clean the air we breathe, > reduce excess sun on the soil, and provide shade for our heads on a > hot summer's day.> > "The fourth set of seeds are seeds of faith and should be for plants > from a zone that is beyond ours in warmth. It will help us to > remember that we accept the "Leap of Faith" in our hearts and know > that Mother Nature is capable of miracles. I am in zone seven and I > will "Solstice Sow" the seeds of faith for plants that are only hardy > to zone eight."> > ()> > > To send an email to -unsubscr ibe >

I have bought her some "proper" presents!

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Monday, 24 December, 2007 5:42:40 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

LOL - I think once you have children or are setting up home presents are often the household items you need.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Last year I bought her a new iron........ ......... .......boy do I know how to treat a woman!

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comMonday, 24 December, 2007 1:55:54 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

HI Peter

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with for Good

I like books, cds and dvds now, as well as perfume and jewellry etc. What sort of presents do you like Peter?

Jo

-

Peter VV

Monday, December 24, 2007 5:55 PM

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Monday, 24 December, 2007 5:42:40 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Last year I bought her a new iron........ ......... .......boy do I know how to treat a woman!

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comMonday, 24 December, 2007 1:55:54 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

HI Peter

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Me? , I like anything vegan, particularly chocolate!

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Monday, 24 December, 2007 5:58:16 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

I like books, cds and dvds now, as well as perfume and jewellry etc. What sort of presents do you like Peter?

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Monday, December 24, 2007 5:55 PM

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comMonday, 24 December, 2007 5:42:40 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

HI Peter

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

*shakes head*

you scare me

Peter VV Dec 24, 2007 8:42 AM Re: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Monday, 24 December, 2007 1:55:54 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

HI Peter

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Confucius

i got scads of different acorns from Sunol....

when we got home one nite last week, we walked up to our front door and i was all "somethings wrong..."....

took me a second before i went "oh crap!! the oak tree is gone!"\we had this HUGE oak tree on the side of our haus

it got chopped down

no idea why

really sucks!!! it dominated the south side of our haus...just two days before i spent an afternoon watching the squirrels and all the birds flit back and forth thru it

now its gone...

rebecca wants to move...she is sick of it all

ah...the joy of renting....

so...brought a bunch of different acorns home...why..i have nooo idea

Peter VV Dec 24, 2007 8:58 AM Re: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Seed from alder cones

Nuts from beech trees

Seed from birch cones

Acorns from oak

Nuts from sweet chestnut

chestnut

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Monday, 24 December, 2007 1:54:25 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Hi YarrowLet us know how the seed planting goes.BBJo- <yarrow<@gro ups.com>Friday, December 21, 2007 3:29 AMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping> I have plans to make a bunch of gifts, though I don't intend to send > them for a couple weeks.> > I just came across this solstice ritual, which sounds appealing. I > may do it if I remember to look for tree seeds outdoors. I don't > normally plant seeds this time of year, but I may try this > "wintersowing" method -- planting in miniature greenhouses, which can > be any plastic container with holes punched in the top and bottom for > air circulation and drainage.> > (from Trudi Davidoff at> http://wintersown. org/wseo1/ Solstice_ Celebration. html):> > "Solstice Sow> "On December 21st, please celebrate the Winter Solstice by sowing > four sets of seeds. Each separate set of seeds will honor > Remembrance, Life, Mother Nature and Faith.> > "The first set of seeds are seeds of remembrance and should be seeds > of flowers that remind us of someone we knew and loved but who is now > gone from our lives forever.> > "The second set of seeds are seeds of life and should be for plants > that will make fruit or nectar and invite birds and butterflies to > our gardens.> > "The third set of seeds should be tree seeds. We can honor Mother > Nature by growing trees that will help clean the air we breathe, > reduce excess sun on the soil, and provide shade for our heads on a > hot summer's day.> > "The fourth set of seeds are seeds of faith and should be for plants > from a zone that is beyond ours in warmth. It will help us to > remember that we accept the "Leap of Faith" in our hearts and know > that Mother Nature is capable of miracles. I am in zone seven and I > will "Solstice Sow" the seeds of faith for plants that are only hardy > to zone eight."> > ()> > > To send an email to -unsubscr ibe >

same here...i lost a ton of our herbs a few months back, as the squirrels went nutty....every potted plant and planter box got dug up....mostly walnuts...lil buggers

jo Dec 24, 2007 9:43 AM Re: Yule/Christmas Shopping

That's very interesting. With regard to acorns - the local squirrels seem to have great success when they bury them in my plant pots!

Jo

-

Peter VV

Monday, December 24, 2007 4:58 PM

Seed from alder cones

Nuts from beech trees

Seed from birch cones

Acorns from oak

Nuts from sweet chestnut

chestnut

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Monday, 24 December, 2007 1:54:25 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Scary. Isn't there a tree-protection ordinance to protect big

trees? In my neck of the woods, it's a big deal to cut down a big tree

and requires lots of permits and meetings. Someone got a doctor's note

(allergies) to cut down a redwood recently, and it took them months or

years to get permission.

Was the oak close to the foundation? Native oaks are one of the

few trees that will never crack the foundation, so it's safe to plant

them close (though not good for t he tree's structure to plant them

closer than 6-20 ft. away, depending on the type of oak).

Valley oaks grow pretty fast -- the big deciduous ones with the

curvy (not spiky) lobed leaves. You could start a tree nursery using

toilet-paper or paper-towel tubes. Oaks like to send down deep roots

before anything much happens above ground, so they need vertical

space. Or you could just plant a bunch of acorns and see what comes

up. You'll need to water them in the dry season for 2-3 years.

At 8:54 AM -0800 12/27/07, fraggle wrote:

when we got home one nite last week, we walked up to our front

door and i was all " somethings wrong... " ....

took me a second before i went " oh crap!! the oak tree is

gone! " \we had this HUGE oak tree on the side of our haus

it got chopped down

no idea why

really sucks!!! it dominated the south side of our haus...just

two days before i spent an afternoon watching the squirrels and all

the birds flit back and forth thru it

now its gone...

so...brought a bunch of different acorns home...why..i have nooo

idea

supposedly there are tree protection ordinances....but, this is oakland, they are never enforced, and its hard to get protection for em...i had some friends that had a HUGE oak in their backyard, and tried to get it noticed by the city, as it was @ 400 yrs old....but it was on the edge of a creek bed, and the neighbors wanted it out because they were afraid ot would fall during a storm....so, the neighbors got it removed...

yarrow Dec 27, 2007 2:09 PM Re: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Scary. Isn't there a tree-protection ordinance to protect big trees? In my neck of the woods, it's a big deal to cut down a big tree and requires lots of permits and meetings. Someone got a doctor's note (allergies) to cut down a redwood recently, and it took them months or years to get permission.

Was the oak close to the foundation? Native oaks are one of the few trees that will never crack the foundation, so it's safe to plant them close (though not good for t he tree's structure to plant them closer than 6-20 ft. away, depending on the type of oak).

Valley oaks grow pretty fast -- the big deciduous ones with the curvy (not spiky) lobed leaves. You could start a tree nursery using toilet-paper or paper-towel tubes. Oaks like to send down deep roots before anything much happens above ground, so they need vertical space. Or you could just plant a bunch of acorns and see what comes up. You'll need to water them in the dry season for 2-3 years.

Confucius

Good idea with the acorns .................if you have 100 years to spare!!!!

Why would they chop it down? twats!....scuse my welsh.....

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Thursday, 27 December, 2007 4:54:05 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

when we got home one nite last week, we walked up to our front door and i was all "somethings wrong..."... .

took me a second before i went "oh crap!! the oak tree is gone!"\we had this HUGE oak tree on the side of our haus

it got chopped down

no idea why

really sucks!!! it dominated the south side of our haus...just two days before i spent an afternoon watching the squirrels and all the birds flit back and forth thru it

now its gone...

so...brought a bunch of different acorns home...why.. i have nooo idea

Peter VV Dec 24, 2007 8:58 AM @gro ups.com Re: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Seed from alder cones

Nuts from beech trees

Seed from birch cones

Acorns from oak

Nuts from sweet chestnut

chestnut

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comMonday, 24 December, 2007 1:54:25 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Hi YarrowLet us know how the seed planting goes.BBJo- <yarrow<@gro ups.com>Friday, December 21, 2007 3:29 AMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping> I have plans to make a bunch of gifts, though I don't intend to send > them for a couple weeks.> > I just came across this solstice ritual, which sounds appealing. I > may do it if I remember to look for tree seeds outdoors. I don't > normally plant seeds this time of year, but I may try this > "wintersowing" method -- planting in miniature greenhouses, which can > be any plastic container with

holes punched in the top and bottom for > air circulation and drainage.> > (from Trudi Davidoff at> http://wintersown. org/wseo1/ Solstice_ Celebration. html):> > "Solstice Sow> "On December 21st, please celebrate the Winter Solstice by sowing > four sets of seeds. Each separate set of seeds will honor > Remembrance, Life, Mother Nature and Faith.> > "The first set of seeds are seeds of remembrance and should be seeds > of flowers that remind us of someone we knew and loved but who is now > gone from our lives forever.> > "The second set of seeds are seeds of life and should be for plants > that will make fruit or nectar and invite birds and butterflies to > our gardens.> > "The third set of seeds should be tree seeds. We can

honor Mother > Nature by growing trees that will help clean the air we breathe, > reduce excess sun on the soil, and provide shade for our heads on a > hot summer's day.> > "The fourth set of seeds are seeds of faith and should be for plants > from a zone that is beyond ours in warmth. It will help us to > remember that we accept the "Leap of Faith" in our hearts and know > that Mother Nature is capable of miracles. I am in zone seven and I > will "Solstice Sow" the seeds of faith for plants that are only hardy > to zone eight."> > ()> > > To send an email to -unsubscr ibe >

Around here, it doesn't take a hundred years to grow a good-size

oak tree. Most natives spend their first 2-3 years growing roots, but

after that, a valley oak can grow 2-4 ft. a year. Elderberry is a

shrub that can grow to tree size much faster, and it will resprout if

it's cut down. Some of the ceanothus shrubs also get big fast

(C. 'Ray Hartman' or C. thyrsiflorus) -- maybe 15 ft. in 3

years.

Here's an idea of what to do with all the acorns, from a

wonderful book I've been reading (The Landscaping Ideas of Jays, by

Judith Larner Lowry). Pile them up in your yard, and let the

birds decide where to plant them. People who have done this have seen

the pile disappear within a few days and have enjoyed watching the

birds plant the acorns in the ground as well as in planters and

gutters.

At 8:33 PM +0000 12/28/07, Peter VV wrote:

Good idea with the acorns .................if you have 100

years to spare!!!!

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx

Thursday, 27 December, 2007 4:54:05 PM

door and i was all " somethings wrong... " ... .

it got chopped down

no idea why

now its gone...

so...brought a bunch of different acorns home...why.. i have nooo

idea

Our oka tree hasbeen growing for 20 years and it is a skinny 2ft high sapling!

Jo

-

yarrow

Friday, December 28, 2007 8:42 PM

Around here, it doesn't take a hundred years to grow a good-size oak tree. Most natives spend their first 2-3 years growing roots, but after that, a valley oak can grow 2-4 ft. a year. Elderberry is a shrub that can grow to tree size much faster, and it will resprout if it's cut down. Some of the ceanothus shrubs also get big fast (C. 'Ray Hartman' or C. thyrsiflorus) -- maybe 15 ft. in 3 years.

Here's an idea of what to do with all the acorns, from a wonderful book I've been reading (The Landscaping Ideas of Jays, by Judith Larner Lowry). Pile them up in your yard, and let the birds decide where to plant them. People who have done this have seen the pile disappear within a few days and have enjoyed watching the birds plant the acorns in the ground as well as in planters and gutters.

Good idea with the acorns .................if you have 100 years to spare!!!!

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Thursday, 27 December, 2007 4:54:05 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

when we got home one nite last week, we walked up to our front door and i was all "somethings wrong..."... .

it got chopped down

no idea why

now its gone...

Did you plant it as an acorn or as a transplant? Often the roots

of transplants get lopped at the tip, or they stay in containers and

loop around, so as the plant tries to grow the roots strangle the

plant. After 20 years, I'd try again and get an acorn of a

fast-growing species!

At 9:02 PM +0000 12/28/07, jo wrote:

Our oka tree hasbeen growing for 20 years and it is a skinny 2ft

high sapling!

Jo

-

yarrow

Friday, December 28, 2007 8:42 PM

Around here, it doesn't take a hundred years to grow a good-size

oak tree. Most natives spend their first 2-3 years growing roots, but

after that, a valley oak can grow 2-4 ft. a year. Elderberry is a

shrub that can grow to tree size much faster, and it will resprout if

it's cut down. Some of the ceanothus shrubs also get big fast

(C. 'Ray Hartman' or C. thyrsiflorus) -- maybe 15 ft. in 3

years.

Here's an idea of what to do with all the acorns, from a

wonderful book I've been reading (The Landscaping Ideas of Jays, by

Judith Larner Lowry). Pile them up in your yard, and let the

birds decide where to plant them. People who have done this have seen

the pile disappear within a few days and have enjoyed watching the

birds plant the acorns in the ground as well as in planters and

gutters.

Good idea with the acorns .................if you have 100

years to spare!!!!

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx

Thursday, 27 December, 2007 4:54:05 PM

door and i was all " somethings wrong... " ... .

it got chopped down

no idea why

now its gone...

so...brought a bunch of different acorns home...why.. i have nooo

idea

They certainly dont grow 4 ft a year over here!!! not an English oak, probably take up to 10 years to grow to over 4 ft from an acorn over here!

Peter H

"yarrow" <yarrow Sent: Friday, 28 December, 2007 8:42:37 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Around here, it doesn't take a hundred years to grow a good-size oak tree. Most natives spend their first 2-3 years growing roots, but after that, a valley oak can grow 2-4 ft. a year. Elderberry is a shrub that can grow to tree size much faster, and it will resprout if it's cut down. Some of the ceanothus shrubs also get big fast (C. 'Ray Hartman' or C. thyrsiflorus) -- maybe 15 ft. in 3 years.

Here's an idea of what to do with all the acorns, from a wonderful book I've been reading (The Landscaping Ideas of Jays, by Judith Larner Lowry). Pile them up in your yard, and let the birds decide where to plant them. People who have done this have seen the pile disappear within a few days and have enjoyed watching the birds plant the acorns in the ground as well as in planters and gutters.

Good idea with the acorns ............ .....if you have 100 years to spare!!!!

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comThursday, 27 December, 2007 4:54:05 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

it got chopped down

no idea why

now its gone...