Yule/Christmas Shopping

Rate this topic

Guest guest

no idea dear sir....no idea...

rebecca's p*ssed

she wants to move

*sigh*

Peter VV Dec 28, 2007 3:33 PM Re: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Good idea with the acorns .................if you have 100 years to spare!!!!

Why would they chop it down? twats!....scuse my welsh.....

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Thursday, 27 December, 2007 4:54:05 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

i got scads of different acorns from Sunol....

when we got home one nite last week, we walked up to our front door and i was all "somethings wrong..."... .

took me a second before i went "oh crap!! the oak tree is gone!"\we had this HUGE oak tree on the side of our haus

it got chopped down

no idea why

really sucks!!! it dominated the south side of our haus...just two days before i spent an afternoon watching the squirrels and all the birds flit back and forth thru it

now its gone...

rebecca wants to move...she is sick of it all

ah...the joy of renting....

so...brought a bunch of different acorns home...why.. i have nooo idea

Peter VV Dec 24, 2007 8:58 AM @gro ups.com Re: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Some good examples of seed for you to collect

Seed from alder cones

Nuts from beech trees

Seed from birch cones

Nuts from hazel (though germination rates can be low)

Acorns from oak

Seed from Scots pine cones

Nuts from sweet chestnut

The acorns/nuts can be put in a bucket of water after collection.The ones that sink are the plumpest and the ones to use, any

that float should be discarded! The alder, birch and Scots pine cones can be put in a paper bag to dry out thoroughly and then

after a few days can be shaken or broken up with your fingers to release the seed.

Alder cone Beech nut Birch cone Hazel nut Acorn Pine cone Sweet

chestnut

I had heard that it is best to bury acorns for six months in sand in the dark before planting them? dont know if its true or not.

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comMonday, 24 December, 2007 1:54:25 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Hi YarrowLet us know how the seed planting goes.BBJo- <yarrow<@gro ups.com>Friday, December 21, 2007 3:29 AMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping> I have plans to make a bunch of gifts, though I don't intend to send > them for a couple weeks.> > I just came across this solstice ritual, which sounds appealing. I > may do it if I remember to look for tree seeds outdoors. I don't > normally plant seeds this time of year, but I may try this > "wintersowing" method -- planting in miniature greenhouses, which can > be any plastic container with holes punched in the top and bottom for > air circulation and drainage.> > (from Trudi Davidoff at> http://wintersown. org/wseo1/ Solstice_ Celebration. html):> > "Solstice Sow> "On December 21st, please celebrate the Winter Solstice by sowing > four sets of seeds. Each separate set of seeds will honor > Remembrance, Life, Mother Nature and Faith.> > "The first set of seeds are seeds of remembrance and should be seeds > of flowers that remind us of someone we knew and loved but who is now > gone from our lives forever.> > "The second set of seeds are seeds of life and should be for plants > that will make fruit or nectar and invite birds and butterflies to > our gardens.> > "The third set of seeds should be tree seeds. We can honor Mother > Nature by growing trees that will help clean the air we breathe, > reduce excess sun on the soil, and provide shade for our heads on a > hot summer's day.> > "The fourth set of seeds are seeds of faith and should be for plants > from a zone that is beyond ours in warmth. It will help us to > remember that we accept the "Leap of Faith" in our hearts and know > that Mother Nature is capable of miracles. I am in zone seven and I > will "Solstice Sow" the seeds of faith for plants that are only hardy > to zone eight."> > ()> > > To send an email to -unsubscr ibe >

i'd just be feeding the squirrels...who'd go back to digging up my potted plants

lil buggers

speaking if squirrels...sorta....today, we had snowy the x-mas possum at work..

an all white baby oppossum was found in the bottom of a garbage can inside my work...dunno how long the lil bugger had been stuck there

let him go out back, with all the bunnies....and he just sorta, waddled away....

cutest possum i'd seen in awhile...

yarrow Dec 28, 2007 3:42 PM Re: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Around here, it doesn't take a hundred years to grow a good-size oak tree. Most natives spend their first 2-3 years growing roots, but after that, a valley oak can grow 2-4 ft. a year. Elderberry is a shrub that can grow to tree size much faster, and it will resprout if it's cut down. Some of the ceanothus shrubs also get big fast (C. 'Ray Hartman' or C. thyrsiflorus) -- maybe 15 ft. in 3 years.

Here's an idea of what to do with all the acorns, from a wonderful book I've been reading (The Landscaping Ideas of Jays, by Judith Larner Lowry). Pile them up in your yard, and let the birds decide where to plant them. People who have done this have seen the pile disappear within a few days and have enjoyed watching the birds plant the acorns in the ground as well as in planters and gutters.

At 8:33 PM +0000 12/28/07, Peter VV wrote:

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Thursday, 27 December, 2007 4:54:05 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

when we got home one nite last week, we walked up to our front door and i was all "somethings wrong..."... .

took me a second before i went "oh crap!! the oak tree is gone!"\we had this HUGE oak tree on the side of our haus

it got chopped down

no idea why

really sucks!!! it dominated the south side of our haus...just two days before i spent an afternoon watching the squirrels and all the birds flit back and forth thru it

now its gone...

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Confucius

It planted itself. They don't grow quickly here. I didn't particularly want an oak tree, but didn't have the heart to cut it down. Surely the nature of an oak tree is to grow to full strength slowly - I wouldn't want to change that.

Jo

-

yarrow

Friday, December 28, 2007 9:10 PM

Re: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Did you plant it as an acorn or as a transplant? Often the roots of transplants get lopped at the tip, or they stay in containers and loop around, so as the plant tries to grow the roots strangle the plant. After 20 years, I'd try again and get an acorn of a fast-growing species!

At 9:02 PM +0000 12/28/07, jo wrote:

Our oka tree hasbeen growing for 20 years and it is a skinny 2ft high sapling!

Jo

-

yarrow

Friday, December 28, 2007 8:42 PM

Around here, it doesn't take a hundred years to grow a good-size oak tree. Most natives spend their first 2-3 years growing roots, but after that, a valley oak can grow 2-4 ft. a year. Elderberry is a shrub that can grow to tree size much faster, and it will resprout if it's cut down. Some of the ceanothus shrubs also get big fast (C. 'Ray Hartman' or C. thyrsiflorus) -- maybe 15 ft. in 3 years.

Here's an idea of what to do with all the acorns, from a wonderful book I've been reading (The Landscaping Ideas of Jays, by Judith Larner Lowry). Pile them up in your yard, and let the birds decide where to plant them. People who have done this have seen the pile disappear within a few days and have enjoyed watching the birds plant the acorns in the ground as well as in planters and gutters.

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Thursday, 27 December, 2007 4:54:05 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

it got chopped down

no idea why

now its gone...

Referring back to the elder tree. Once again ours take longer to grow. The one we planted 6 years ago is about 8 ft tall and spindly - not at all tree like yet.

Jo

-

fraggle

Friday, December 28, 2007 9:34 PM

i'd just be feeding the squirrels...who'd go back to digging up my potted plants

lil buggers

speaking if squirrels...sorta....today, we had snowy the x-mas possum at work..

an all white baby oppossum was found in the bottom of a garbage can inside my work...dunno how long the lil bugger had been stuck there

let him go out back, with all the bunnies....and he just sorta, waddled away....

cutest possum i'd seen in awhile...

yarrow Dec 28, 2007 3:42 PM Re: Yule/Christmas Shopping

Peter H

it got chopped down

no idea why

now its gone...

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

Indeed, anything that can grow fo hundreds of years cant be in a hurry!

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Saturday, 29 December, 2007 1:32:57 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

It planted itself. They don't grow quickly here. I didn't particularly want an oak tree, but didn't have the heart to cut it down. Surely the nature of an oak tree is to grow to full strength slowly - I wouldn't want to change that.

Jo

-

yarrow

@gro ups.com

Friday, December 28, 2007 9:10 PM

Did you plant it as an acorn or as a transplant? Often the roots of transplants get lopped at the tip, or they stay in containers and loop around, so as the plant tries to grow the roots strangle the plant. After 20 years, I'd try again and get an acorn of a fast-growing species!

At 9:02 PM +0000 12/28/07, jo wrote:

Our oka tree hasbeen growing for 20 years and it is a skinny 2ft high sapling!

Jo

-

yarrow

@gro ups.com

Friday, December 28, 2007 8:42 PM

Good idea with the acorns ............ .....if you have 100 years to spare!!!!

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comThursday, 27 December, 2007 4:54:05 PMRe: Yule/Christmas Shopping

it got chopped down

no idea why

now its gone...

Sent from - a smarter inbox.