BETHLEHEM, West Bank (AP) -- Greek Orthodox and Armenian priests

attacked each other with brooms and stones inside the Church of the

Nativity as long-standing rivalries erupted in violence during holiday

cleaning on Thursday.

A general view from the Church of the Nativity compound in the West

Bank town of Bethlehem.

The basilica, built over the grotto in Bethlehem where Christians

believe Jesus was born, is administered jointly by Roman Catholic,

Greek Orthodox and Armenian Apostolic authorities.

Any perceived encroachment on one group's turf can touch off vicious

feuds.

On Thursday, dozens of priests and cleaners were scrubbing the church

ahead of the Armenian and Orthodox Christmas, celebrated in early

January. Thousands of tourists visited the church this week for

Christmas celebrations.

But the clean-up turned ugly after some of the Orthodox faithful

stepped inside the Armenian church's section, touching off a scuffle

between about 50 Greek Orthodox and 30 Armenians.

Palestinian police, armed with batons and shields, quickly formed a

human cordon to separate the two sides so the cleaning could continue,

then ordered an Associated Press photographer out of the church.

Four people, some with blood running from their faces, were slightly

wounded.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Confucius

Hi FraggleIs this serious? Or is it something from the onion?BBPeterOn 27/12/2007, fraggle <

EBbrewpunx wrote:Priests brawl at Jesus' birthplaceStory Highlights

Greek Orthodox and Armenian priests attack each other with brooms andstonesPriests and cleaners were scrubbing Church of Nativity ahead ofceremoniesClean-up turned ugly after some on Orthodox side stepped inside

Armenian sectionPolice called to separate the two factions, with four people leftslightly injuredNext Article in World »BETHLEHEM, West Bank (AP) -- Greek Orthodox and Armenian priests

attacked each other with brooms and stones inside the Church of theNativity as long-standing rivalries erupted in violence during holidaycleaning on Thursday.A general view from the Church of the Nativity compound in the West

Bank town of Bethlehem. The basilica, built over the grotto in Bethlehem where Christiansbelieve Jesus was born, is administered jointly by Roman Catholic,Greek Orthodox and Armenian Apostolic authorities.

Any perceived encroachment on one group's turf can touch off viciousfeuds.On Thursday, dozens of priests and cleaners were scrubbing the churchahead of the Armenian and Orthodox Christmas, celebrated in early

January. Thousands of tourists visited the church this week forChristmas celebrations.But the clean-up turned ugly after some of the Orthodox faithfulstepped inside the Armenian church's section, touching off a scuffle

between about 50 Greek Orthodox and 30 Armenians.Palestinian police, armed with batons and shields, quickly formed ahuman cordon to separate the two sides so the cleaning could continue,then ordered an Associated Press photographer out of the church.

Four people, some with blood running from their faces, were slightlywounded.Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.ConfuciusTo send an email to -

>>>>Is this serious? Or is it something from the onion?<<<<

It's true -- I read it on the BBC news web site. Is that the very

epitome of brotherly love?

Might as well introduce myself. I just joined the group. I'm a longtime

vegetarian and a recent vegan.

My partner just gave me some great cookbooks, and I'm spending my winter

break making lots of yummy stuff. The Joy of Vegan Baking is truly

amazing -- I've made scones and bread pudding so far, both excellent.

I'll be baking chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies today.

He also gave me Veganomicon. Wow. Nuff said.

Cheers,

Trish

oh, its real.....

unless news and cnn have both fallen for it

sounds plausible enough to me...people do odd things

Peter Kebbell Dec 28, 2007 1:12 AM Re: brotherly love eh?

Hi FraggleIs this serious? Or is it something from the onion?BBPeter

On 27/12/2007, fraggle < EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

Priests brawl at Jesus' birthplaceStory Highlights Greek Orthodox and Armenian priests attack each other with brooms andstonesPriests and cleaners were scrubbing Church of Nativity ahead ofceremoniesClean-up turned ugly after some on Orthodox side stepped inside Armenian sectionPolice called to separate the two factions, with four people leftslightly injuredNext Article in World »BETHLEHEM, West Bank (AP) -- Greek Orthodox and Armenian priests attacked each other with brooms and stones inside the Church of theNativity as long-standing rivalries erupted in violence during holidaycleaning on Thursday.A general view from the Church of the Nativity compound in the West Bank town of Bethlehem.The basilica, built over the grotto in Bethlehem where Christiansbelieve Jesus was born, is administered jointly by Roman Catholic,Greek Orthodox and Armenian Apostolic authorities. Any perceived encroachment on one group's turf can touch off viciousfeuds.On Thursday, dozens of priests and cleaners were scrubbing the churchahead of the Armenian and Orthodox Christmas, celebrated in early January. Thousands of tourists visited the church this week forChristmas celebrations.But the clean-up turned ugly after some of the Orthodox faithfulstepped inside the Armenian church's section, touching off a scuffle between about 50 Greek Orthodox and 30 Armenians.Palestinian police, armed with batons and shields, quickly formed ahuman cordon to separate the two sides so the cleaning could continue,then ordered an Associated Press photographer out of the church. Four people, some with blood running from their faces, were slightlywounded.Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.ConfuciusTo send an email to -

greetings and welcome trish

Trish Carr Dec 28, 2007 7:30 AM Re: brotherly love eh?

>>>>Is this serious? Or is it something from the onion?<<<<It's true -- I read it on the BBC news web site. Is that the very epitome of brotherly love?Might as well introduce myself. I just joined the group. I'm a longtime vegetarian and a recent vegan.My partner just gave me some great cookbooks, and I'm spending my winter break making lots of yummy stuff. The Joy of Vegan Baking is truly amazing -- I've made scones and bread pudding so far, both excellent. I'll be baking chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies today.He also gave me Veganomicon. Wow. Nuff said.Cheers,Trish

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Confucius