IndiaDivine.org

Kale - in season :-)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Kale

Kale is an attractive looking member of the cabbage family. With its

dark green or red frilly leaves and distinctive cabbage-like taste it

is a popular alternative to cabbage, spring greens or spinach. Look

for small bunches of kale with crisp, fresh-looking leaves.

Kale is served cooked. It can be served finely chopped or as a purée

for a side dish or included in soups and sauces or the classic

dishes, bubble and squeak and champ. Kale complements a wide variety

of food and its flavour profile means that it also works well with

stronger dishes such as game or with spicy dishes. It can also be

used in Indian dishes such as Kale Dhal.

Cut the stalks off the frilly leaves and wash the leaves in cold

water.

Kale can be steamed, stir fried or boiled. To steam, place the

prepared leaves in a steamer and cook for 3-5 minutes or until just

wilted. To boil, place the leaves in a pan with 2 tbsp water, cook,

covered for 2-3 minutes or until just wilted. Kale absorbs a lot of

liquid during cooking and should be drained thoroughly after cooking.

Drain in a sieve and use a metal spoon to press out as much liquid as

possible before serving.

Keep refrigerated after purchase.

Is an excellent source of:

- Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)

Is a useful source of:

- Folate

- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)

Also contains:

- Rutin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)

- Zinc

- Calcium

- Isothiocyanates (Glucosinolates)

- Quercetin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)

- Potassium

- Iron

- Beta-carotene (Pro-vitamin A)

- Selenium

- Copper

- Indoles (Glucosinolates)

- Betacarotene (Carotenoids)

- Phosphorus

- Sulforaphane (Glucosinolates)

- Niacin (Vitamin B3)

- Vitamin A (Retinol)

- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)

- Magnesium

- Lutein (Carotenoids)

80g kale (4 heaped tablespoons), boiled, typically contains

19 kcals

1.9g protein

0.9g fat

0.8g carbohydrate

2.2g fibre

had kale last nite as a matter of fact......

heartwerk Jan 27, 2008 11:55 PM Kale - in season :-)

KaleKale is an attractive looking member of the cabbage family. With its dark green or red frilly leaves and distinctive cabbage-like taste it is a popular alternative to cabbage, spring greens or spinach. Look for small bunches of kale with crisp, fresh-looking leaves.Kale is served cooked. It can be served finely chopped or as a purée for a side dish or included in soups and sauces or the classic dishes, bubble and squeak and champ. Kale complements a wide variety of food and its flavour profile means that it also works well with stronger dishes such as game or with spicy dishes. It can also be used in Indian dishes such as Kale Dhal.Cut the stalks off the frilly leaves and wash the leaves in cold water. Kale can be steamed, stir fried or boiled. To steam, place the prepared leaves in a steamer and cook for 3-5 minutes or until just wilted. To boil, place the leaves in a pan with 2 tbsp water, cook, covered for 2-3 minutes or until just wilted. Kale absorbs a lot of liquid during cooking and should be drained thoroughly after cooking. Drain in a sieve and use a metal spoon to press out as much liquid as possible before serving.Keep refrigerated after purchase.Is an excellent source of:- Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)Is a useful source of:- Folate - Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)Also contains:- Rutin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)- Zinc- Calcium- Isothiocyanates (Glucosinolates) - Quercetin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)- Potassium - Iron- Beta-carotene (Pro-vitamin A)- Selenium- Copper - Indoles (Glucosinolates) - Betacarotene (Carotenoids) - Phosphorus- Sulforaphane (Glucosinolates) - Niacin (Vitamin B3)- Vitamin A (Retinol)- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)- Magnesium - Lutein (Carotenoids)80g kale (4 heaped tablespoons), boiled, typically contains19 kcals1.9g protein0.9g fat0.8g carbohydrate2.2g fibre

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Confucius

Kale is *always* in season! I pick and eat it year-round.

I eat the young leaves raw. My favorite way to cook it: Rinse kale.

Boil water. Add whole or chopped kale. As soon as the water starts to

bubble again, immediately remove it from the water -- don't leave it

in the water for more than a minute. Sometimes I dip it in the water

and take it out, enough so that it's wilted. Use the water for lentil

(or other) soup. I like to add sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts to

winter soups.

I used to steam vegetables, but it takes too long, and runs the risk

of overcooking because it's more than enough time to start doing

something else. My method is quick, and since I use the cooking

water, nothing is wasted.

A couple days ago I picked carrots, radishes, mustard greens,

dinosaur kale, russian kale, violet leaves, mache, and a couple other

greens from my garden and made a big salad with a little peanut

sauce. (Well, I ate the radishes in the garden and used the radish

tops in the salad.)

I love Kale - have it abaout once a week when it's around.

Jo

-

fraggle

Monday, January 28, 2008 4:24 PM

Re: Kale - in season :-)

heartwerk Jan 27, 2008 11:55 PM Kale - in season :-)

KaleKale is an attractive looking member of the cabbage family. With its dark green or red frilly leaves and distinctive cabbage-like taste it is a popular alternative to cabbage, spring greens or spinach. Look for small bunches of kale with crisp, fresh-looking leaves.Kale is served cooked. It can be served finely chopped or as a purée for a side dish or included in soups and sauces or the classic dishes, bubble and squeak and champ. Kale complements a wide variety of food and its flavour profile means that it also works well with stronger dishes such as game or with spicy dishes. It can also be used in Indian dishes such as Kale Dhal.Cut the stalks off the frilly leaves and wash the leaves in cold water. Kale can be steamed, stir fried or boiled. To steam, place the prepared leaves in a steamer and cook for 3-5 minutes or until just wilted. To boil, place the leaves in a pan with 2 tbsp water, cook, covered for 2-3 minutes or until just wilted. Kale absorbs a lot of liquid during cooking and should be drained thoroughly after cooking. Drain in a sieve and use a metal spoon to press out as much liquid as possible before serving.Keep refrigerated after purchase.Is an excellent source of:- Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)Is a useful source of:- Folate - Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)Also contains:- Rutin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)- Zinc- Calcium- Isothiocyanates (Glucosinolates) - Quercetin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)- Potassium - Iron- Beta-carotene (Pro-vitamin A)- Selenium- Copper - Indoles (Glucosinolates) - Betacarotene (Carotenoids) - Phosphorus- Sulforaphane (Glucosinolates) - Niacin (Vitamin B3)- Vitamin A (Retinol)- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)- Magnesium - Lutein (Carotenoids)80g kale (4 heaped tablespoons), boiled, typically contains19 kcals1.9g protein0.9g fat0.8g carbohydrate2.2g fibre

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

I don't know if it's in season here all year round. It never used to be.

Jo

-

<yarrow

Monday, January 28, 2008 5:26 PM

> Kale is *always* in season! I pick and eat it year-round.

>

> I eat the young leaves raw. My favorite way to cook it: Rinse kale.

> Boil water. Add whole or chopped kale. As soon as the water starts to

> bubble again, immediately remove it from the water -- don't leave it

> in the water for more than a minute. Sometimes I dip it in the water

> and take it out, enough so that it's wilted. Use the water for lentil

> (or other) soup. I like to add sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts to

> winter soups.

>

> I used to steam vegetables, but it takes too long, and runs the risk

> of overcooking because it's more than enough time to start doing

> something else. My method is quick, and since I use the cooking

> water, nothing is wasted.

>

> A couple days ago I picked carrots, radishes, mustard greens,

> dinosaur kale, russian kale, violet leaves, mache, and a couple other

> greens from my garden and made a big salad with a little peanut

> sauce. (Well, I ate the radishes in the garden and used the radish

> tops in the salad.)

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

sounds yummy...

back when i lived in north oakland, i had the immortal giant kale plant...it just wouldn't give up, and got as tall as me (granted, with a name like fraggle, you know i'm no amazon, but, still..)

we have a few little kale plants, and chard, but they don't seem to do as well as at my old place

maybe they don't like west oakland\

:)

cheers

fraggle

yarrow Jan 28, 2008 9:26 AM Re: Kale - in season :-)

Kale is *always* in season! I pick and eat it year-round.I eat the young leaves raw. My favorite way to cook it: Rinse kale. Boil water. Add whole or chopped kale. As soon as the water starts to bubble again, immediately remove it from the water -- don't leave it in the water for more than a minute. Sometimes I dip it in the water and take it out, enough so that it's wilted. Use the water for lentil (or other) soup. I like to add sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts to winter soups.I used to steam vegetables, but it takes too long, and runs the risk of overcooking because it's more than enough time to start doing something else. My method is quick, and since I use the cooking water, nothing is wasted.A couple days ago I picked carrots, radishes, mustard greens, dinosaur kale, russian kale, violet leaves, mache, and a couple other greens from my garden and made a big salad with a little peanut sauce. (Well, I ate the radishes in the garden and used the radish tops in the salad.)

Confucius

with global warming, who knows

as yarrow said, it grows year round around here, and generally every stand has it at the local farmers markets all winter....

jo Jan 28, 2008 12:44 PM Re: Kale - in season :-)

I don't know if it's in season here all year round. It never used to be.Jo- <yarrowMonday, January 28, 2008 5:26 PMRe: Kale - in season :-)> Kale is *always* in season! I pick and eat it year-round.> > I eat the young leaves raw. My favorite way to cook it: Rinse kale. > Boil water. Add whole or chopped kale. As soon as the water starts to > bubble again, immediately remove it from the water -- don't leave it > in the water for more than a minute. Sometimes I dip it in the water > and take it out, enough so that it's wilted. Use the water for lentil > (or other) soup. I like to add sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts to > winter soups.> > I used to steam vegetables, but it takes too long, and runs the risk > of overcooking because it's more than enough time to start doing > something else. My method is quick, and since I use the cooking > water, nothing is wasted.> > A couple days ago I picked carrots, radishes, mustard greens, > dinosaur kale, russian kale, violet leaves, mache, and a couple other > greens from my garden and made a big salad with a little peanut > sauce. (Well, I ate the radishes in the garden and used the radish > tops in the salad.)> > > To send an email to - >

Isnt that the stuff farmers used to grow to feed cattle?

Dont like any cabbage me.

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Monday, 28 January, 2008 4:24:17 PMRe: Kale - in season :-)

heartwerk Jan 27, 2008 11:55 PM @gro ups.com Kale - in season :-)

KaleKale is an attractive looking member of the cabbage family. With its dark green or red frilly leaves and distinctive cabbage-like taste it is a popular alternative to cabbage, spring greens or spinach. Look for small bunches of kale with crisp, fresh-looking leaves.Kale is served cooked. It can be served finely chopped or as a purée for a side dish or included in soups and sauces or the classic dishes, bubble and squeak and champ. Kale complements a wide variety of food and its flavour profile means that it also works well with stronger dishes such as game or with spicy dishes. It can also be used in Indian dishes such as Kale Dhal.Cut the stalks off the frilly leaves and wash the leaves in cold water. Kale can be steamed, stir fried or boiled. To steam, place the prepared leaves in a steamer and cook for 3-5 minutes or until just wilted. To boil, place the leaves in a

pan with 2 tbsp water, cook, covered for 2-3 minutes or until just wilted. Kale absorbs a lot of liquid during cooking and should be drained thoroughly after cooking. Drain in a sieve and use a metal spoon to press out as much liquid as possible before serving.Keep refrigerated after purchase.Is an excellent source of:- Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)Is a useful source of:- Folate - Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)Also contains:- Rutin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)- Zinc- Calcium- Isothiocyanates (Glucosinolates) - Quercetin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)- Potassium - Iron- Beta-carotene (Pro-vitamin A)- Selenium- Copper - Indoles (Glucosinolates) - Betacarotene (Carotenoids) - Phosphorus- Sulforaphane (Glucosinolates) - Niacin (Vitamin B3)- Vitamin A (Retinol)- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)- Magnesium - Lutein (Carotenoids)80g kale (4 heaped

tablespoons) , boiled, typically contains19 kcals1.9g protein0.9g fat0.8g carbohydrate2.2g fibre

Sent from - a smarter inbox.

You're right about the global warming affecting the seasons for growing.

Jo

-

fraggle

Monday, January 28, 2008 7:43 PM

with global warming, who knows

as yarrow said, it grows year round around here, and generally every stand has it at the local farmers markets all winter....

jo Jan 28, 2008 12:44 PM Re: Kale - in season :-)

I don't know if it's in season here all year round. It never used to be.Jo- <yarrowMonday, January 28, 2008 5:26 PMRe: Kale - in season :-)> Kale is *always* in season! I pick and eat it year-round.> > I eat the young leaves raw. My favorite way to cook it: Rinse kale. > Boil water. Add whole or chopped kale. As soon as the water starts to > bubble again, immediately remove it from the water -- don't leave it > in the water for more than a minute. Sometimes I dip it in the water > and take it out, enough so that it's wilted. Use the water for lentil > (or other) soup. I like to add sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts to > winter soups.> > I used to steam vegetables, but it takes too long, and runs the risk > of overcooking because it's more than enough time to start doing > something else. My method is quick, and since I use the cooking > water, nothing is wasted.> > A couple days ago I picked carrots, radishes, mustard greens, > dinosaur kale, russian kale, violet leaves, mache, and a couple other > greens from my garden and made a big salad with a little peanut > sauce. (Well, I ate the radishes in the garden and used the radish > tops in the salad.)> > > To send an email to - >

Don't like any cabbage!!! All brassicas are very healthy - anti-carcinogenic action etc. etc.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:10 PM

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Monday, 28 January, 2008 4:24:17 PMRe: Kale - in season :-)

KaleKale is an attractive looking member of the cabbage family. With its dark green or red frilly leaves and distinctive cabbage-like taste it is a popular alternative to cabbage, spring greens or spinach. Look for small bunches of kale with crisp, fresh-looking leaves.Kale is served cooked. It can be served finely chopped or as a purée for a side dish or included in soups and sauces or the classic dishes, bubble and squeak and champ. Kale complements a wide variety of food and its flavour profile means that it also works well with stronger dishes such as game or with spicy dishes. It can also be used in Indian dishes such as Kale Dhal.Cut the stalks off the frilly leaves and wash the leaves in cold water. Kale can be steamed, stir fried or boiled. To steam, place the prepared leaves in a steamer and cook for 3-5 minutes or until just wilted. To boil, place the leaves in a pan with 2 tbsp water, cook, covered for 2-3 minutes or until just wilted. Kale absorbs a lot of liquid during cooking and should be drained thoroughly after cooking. Drain in a sieve and use a metal spoon to press out as much liquid as possible before serving.Keep refrigerated after purchase.Is an excellent source of:- Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)Is a useful source of:- Folate - Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)Also contains:- Rutin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)- Zinc- Calcium- Isothiocyanates (Glucosinolates) - Quercetin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)- Potassium - Iron- Beta-carotene (Pro-vitamin A)- Selenium- Copper - Indoles (Glucosinolates) - Betacarotene (Carotenoids) - Phosphorus- Sulforaphane (Glucosinolates) - Niacin (Vitamin B3)- Vitamin A (Retinol)- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)- Magnesium - Lutein (Carotenoids)80g kale (4 heaped tablespoons) , boiled, typically contains19 kcals1.9g protein0.9g fat0.8g carbohydrate2.2g fibre Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

One of my favorite kinds of kale was originally meant as cattle

feed! It's a perennial kale called walking kale or walking stick kale

or tree collards. It can get very tall -- mine are 6 ft., I've heard

of others that grow over the roof of a house. The leaves have the

sweetest flavor of any type of kale I've tasted.

At 9:10 PM +0000 1/28/08, Peter VV wrote:

meh...to each their own

when i was a wee fraggle, i hated tomatoes....and up until like 6 yrs ago i didn't like avocadoes

jo Jan 28, 2008 3:16 PM Re: Kale - in season :-)

Don't like any cabbage!!! All brassicas are very healthy - anti-carcinogenic action etc. etc.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Monday, 28 January, 2008 4:24:17 PMRe: Kale - in season :-)

KaleKale is an attractive looking member of the cabbage family. With its dark green or red frilly leaves and distinctive cabbage-like taste it is a popular alternative to cabbage, spring greens or spinach. Look for small bunches of kale with crisp, fresh-looking leaves.Kale is served cooked. It can be served finely chopped or as a purée for a side dish or included in soups and sauces or the classic dishes, bubble and squeak and champ. Kale complements a wide variety of food and its flavour profile means that it also works well with stronger dishes such as game or with spicy dishes. It can also be used in Indian dishes such as Kale Dhal.Cut the stalks off the frilly leaves and wash the leaves in cold water. Kale can be steamed, stir fried or boiled. To steam, place the prepared leaves in a steamer and cook for 3-5 minutes or until just wilted. To boil, place the leaves in a pan with 2 tbsp water, cook, covered for 2-3 minutes or until just wilted. Kale absorbs a lot of liquid during cooking and should be drained thoroughly after cooking. Drain in a sieve and use a metal spoon to press out as much liquid as possible before serving.Keep refrigerated after purchase.Is an excellent source of:- Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)Is a useful source of:- Folate - Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)Also contains:- Rutin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)- Zinc- Calcium- Isothiocyanates (Glucosinolates) - Quercetin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)- Potassium - Iron- Beta-carotene (Pro-vitamin A)- Selenium- Copper - Indoles (Glucosinolates) - Betacarotene (Carotenoids) - Phosphorus- Sulforaphane (Glucosinolates) - Niacin (Vitamin B3)- Vitamin A (Retinol)- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)- Magnesium - Lutein (Carotenoids)80g kale (4 heaped tablespoons) , boiled, typically contains19 kcals1.9g protein0.9g fat0.8g carbohydrate2.2g fibre Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

Confucius

I like brocoli though....

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Monday, 28 January, 2008 11:16:11 PMRe: Kale - in season :-)

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comMonday, 28 January, 2008 4:24:17 PMRe: Kale - in season :-)

KaleKale is an attractive looking member of the cabbage family. With its dark green or red frilly leaves and distinctive cabbage-like taste it is a popular alternative to cabbage, spring greens or spinach. Look for small bunches of kale with crisp, fresh-looking leaves.Kale is served cooked. It can be served finely chopped or as a purée for a side dish or included in soups and sauces or the classic dishes, bubble and squeak and champ. Kale complements a wide variety of food and its flavour profile means that it also works well with stronger dishes such as game or with spicy dishes. It can also be used in Indian dishes such as Kale Dhal.Cut the stalks off the frilly leaves and wash the leaves in cold water. Kale can be steamed, stir fried or boiled. To steam, place the prepared leaves in a steamer and cook for 3-5 minutes or until just wilted. To boil, place the leaves in a

pan with 2 tbsp water, cook, covered for 2-3 minutes or until just wilted. Kale absorbs a lot of liquid during cooking and should be drained thoroughly after cooking. Drain in a sieve and use a metal spoon to press out as much liquid as possible before serving.Keep refrigerated after purchase.Is an excellent source of:- Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)Is a useful source of:- Folate - Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)Also contains:- Rutin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)- Zinc- Calcium- Isothiocyanates (Glucosinolates) - Quercetin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)- Potassium - Iron- Beta-carotene (Pro-vitamin A)- Selenium- Copper - Indoles (Glucosinolates) - Betacarotene (Carotenoids) - Phosphorus- Sulforaphane (Glucosinolates) - Niacin (Vitamin B3)- Vitamin A (Retinol)- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)- Magnesium - Lutein (Carotenoids)80g kale (4 heaped

tablespoons) , boiled, typically contains19 kcals1.9g protein0.9g fat0.8g carbohydrate2.2g fibre Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

How about sprouts?

Jo

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> I like brocoli though....

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

> jo <jo.heartwork

>

> Monday, 28 January, 2008 11:16:11 PM

> Re: Kale - in season :-)

>

> 

> Don't like any cabbage!!! All brassicas are very healthy - anti-

carcinogenic action etc. etc.

>

>

> Jo

>

> -

> Peter VV

> @gro ups.com

> Monday, January 28, 2008 9:10 PM

>

>

> Isnt that the stuff farmers used to grow to feed cattle?

> Dont like any cabbage me.

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

> fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>

> @gro ups.com

> Monday, 28 January, 2008 4:24:17 PM

>

>

> had kale last nite as a matter of fact......

>

>

>

>

> heartwerk

> Jan 27, 2008 11:55 PM

> @gro ups.com

> Kale - in season :-)

>

>

> Kale

>

> Kale is an attractive looking member of the cabbage family. With

its

> dark green or red frilly leaves and distinctive cabbage-like taste

it

> is a popular alternative to cabbage, spring greens or spinach. Look

> for small bunches of kale with crisp, fresh-looking leaves.

>

> Kale is served cooked. It can be served finely chopped or as a

purée

> for a side dish or included in soups and sauces or the classic

> dishes, bubble and squeak and champ. Kale complements a wide

variety

> of food and its flavour profile means that it also works well with

> stronger dishes such as game or with spicy dishes. It can also be

> used in Indian dishes such as Kale Dhal.

>

> Cut the stalks off the frilly leaves and wash the leaves in cold

> water.

>

> Kale can be steamed, stir fried or boiled. To steam, place the

> prepared leaves in a steamer and cook for 3-5 minutes or until just

> wilted. To boil, place the leaves in a pan with 2 tbsp water, cook,

> covered for 2-3 minutes or until just wilted. Kale absorbs a lot of

> liquid during cooking and should be drained thoroughly after

cooking.

> Drain in a sieve and use a metal spoon to press out as much liquid

as

> possible before serving.

>

> Keep refrigerated after purchase.

>

> Is an excellent source of:

> - Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)

>

> Is a useful source of:

> - Folate

> - Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)

>

> Also contains:

> - Rutin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)

> - Zinc

> - Calcium

> - Isothiocyanates (Glucosinolates)

> - Quercetin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)

> - Potassium

> - Iron

> - Beta-carotene (Pro-vitamin A)

> - Selenium

> - Copper

> - Indoles (Glucosinolates)

> - Betacarotene (Carotenoids)

> - Phosphorus

> - Sulforaphane (Glucosinolates)

> - Niacin (Vitamin B3)

> - Vitamin A (Retinol)

> - Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)

> - Magnesium

> - Lutein (Carotenoids)

>

> 80g kale (4 heaped tablespoons) , boiled, typically contains

> 19 kcals

> 1.9g protein

> 0.9g fat

> 0.8g carbohydrate

> 2.2g fibre

>

>

> Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

> Confucius

>

>

>

>

>

> Sent from - a smarter inbox.

>

>

>

> _________

> Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the

answer. Try it

> now.

> http://uk.answers./

>

Waaaaaaaarghh!

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Sent: Wednesday, 30 January, 2008 7:34:57 AM Re: Kale - in season :-)

How about sprouts?Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> I like brocoli though....> > Peter H > > > > > > jo <jo.heartwork@ ...>> @gro ups.com> Monday, 28 January, 2008 11:16:11 PM> Re: Kale - in season :-)> >  > Don't like any cabbage!!! All brassicas are very healthy - anti-carcinogenic action etc. etc.> > > Jo> > - > Peter VV > @gro ups.com >

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:10 PM> Re: Kale - in season :-)> > > Isnt that the stuff farmers used to grow to feed cattle?> Dont like any cabbage me.> > Peter H > > > > > > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ earthlin k.net>> @gro ups.com> Monday, 28 January, 2008 4:24:17 PM> Re: Kale - in season :-)> > > had kale last nite as a matter of fact......> > > > > heartwerk > Jan 27, 2008 11:55 PM > @gro ups.com > Kale - in season :-) > > > Kale> > Kale is an attractive looking member of the cabbage family. With its > dark green or red frilly leaves and

distinctive cabbage-like taste it > is a popular alternative to cabbage, spring greens or spinach. Look > for small bunches of kale with crisp, fresh-looking leaves.> > Kale is served cooked. It can be served finely chopped or as a purée > for a side dish or included in soups and sauces or the classic > dishes, bubble and squeak and champ. Kale complements a wide variety > of food and its flavour profile means that it also works well with > stronger dishes such as game or with spicy dishes. It can also be > used in Indian dishes such as Kale Dhal.> > Cut the stalks off the frilly leaves and wash the leaves in cold > water. > > Kale can be steamed, stir fried or boiled. To steam, place the > prepared leaves in a steamer and cook for 3-5 minutes or until just > wilted. To boil, place the leaves in a pan with 2 tbsp water, cook,

> covered for 2-3 minutes or until just wilted. Kale absorbs a lot of > liquid during cooking and should be drained thoroughly after cooking. > Drain in a sieve and use a metal spoon to press out as much liquid as > possible before serving.> > Keep refrigerated after purchase.> > Is an excellent source of:> - Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)> > Is a useful source of:> - Folate > - Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)> > Also contains:> - Rutin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)> - Zinc> - Calcium> - Isothiocyanates (Glucosinolates) > - Quercetin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)> - Potassium > - Iron> - Beta-carotene (Pro-vitamin A)> - Selenium> - Copper > - Indoles (Glucosinolates) > - Betacarotene (Carotenoids) > - Phosphorus> - Sulforaphane (Glucosinolates) > - Niacin (Vitamin

B3)> - Vitamin A (Retinol)> - Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)> - Magnesium > - Lutein (Carotenoids)> > 80g kale (4 heaped tablespoons) , boiled, typically contains> 19 kcals> 1.9g protein> 0.9g fat> 0.8g carbohydrate> 2.2g fibre > > > Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. > Confucius> > > > > > Sent from - a smarter inbox. > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it> now.> http://uk.answers. />

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try

it now.

is that a welshian mating call???

Peter VV Jan 30, 2008 12:21 PM Re: Re: Kale - in season :-)

Waaaaaaaarghh!

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork > Sent: Wednesday, 30 January, 2008 7:34:57 AM Re: Kale - in season :-)

How about sprouts?Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> I like brocoli though....> > Peter H > > > > > > jo <jo.heartwork@ ...>> @gro ups.com> Monday, 28 January, 2008 11:16:11 PM> Re: Kale - in season :-)> >  > Don't like any cabbage!!! All brassicas are very healthy - anti-carcinogenic action etc. etc.> > > Jo> > - > Peter VV > @gro ups.com > Monday, January 28, 2008 9:10 PM> Re: Kale - in season :-)> > > Isnt that the stuff farmers used to grow to feed cattle?> Dont like any cabbage me.> > Peter H > > > > > > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ earthlin k.net>> @gro ups.com> Monday, 28 January, 2008 4:24:17 PM> Re: Kale - in season :-)> > > had kale last nite as a matter of fact......> > > > > heartwerk > Jan 27, 2008 11:55 PM > @gro ups.com > Kale - in season :-) > > > Kale> > Kale is an attractive looking member of the cabbage family. With its > dark green or red frilly leaves and distinctive cabbage-like taste it > is a popular alternative to cabbage, spring greens or spinach. Look > for small bunches of kale with crisp, fresh-looking leaves.> > Kale is served cooked. It can be served finely chopped or as a purée > for a side dish or included in soups and sauces or the classic > dishes, bubble and squeak and champ. Kale complements a wide variety > of food and its flavour profile means that it also works well with > stronger dishes such as game or with spicy dishes. It can also be > used in Indian dishes such as Kale Dhal.> > Cut the stalks off the frilly leaves and wash the leaves in cold > water. > > Kale can be steamed, stir fried or boiled. To steam, place the > prepared leaves in a steamer and cook for 3-5 minutes or until just > wilted. To boil, place the leaves in a pan with 2 tbsp water, cook, > covered for 2-3 minutes or until just wilted. Kale absorbs a lot of > liquid during cooking and should be drained thoroughly after cooking. > Drain in a sieve and use a metal spoon to press out as much liquid as > possible before serving.> > Keep refrigerated after purchase.> > Is an excellent source of:> - Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)> > Is a useful source of:> - Folate > - Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)> > Also contains:> - Rutin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)> - Zinc> - Calcium> - Isothiocyanates (Glucosinolates) > - Quercetin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)> - Potassium > - Iron> - Beta-carotene (Pro-vitamin A)> - Selenium> - Copper > - Indoles (Glucosinolates) > - Betacarotene (Carotenoids) > - Phosphorus> - Sulforaphane (Glucosinolates) > - Niacin (Vitamin B3)> - Vitamin A (Retinol)> - Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)> - Magnesium > - Lutein (Carotenoids)> > 80g kale (4 heaped tablespoons) , boiled, typically contains> 19 kcals> 1.9g protein> 0.9g fat> 0.8g carbohydrate> 2.2g fibre > > > Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. > Confucius> > > > > > Sent from - a smarter inbox. > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it> now.> http://uk.answers. />

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try it now.

Confucius

LOL :-)))

Jo

-

fraggle

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 6:25 PM

Re: Re: Kale - in season :-)

Peter VV Jan 30, 2008 12:21 PM Re: Re: Kale - in season :-)

Waaaaaaaarghh!

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork > Sent: Wednesday, 30 January, 2008 7:34:57 AM Re: Kale - in season :-)

How about sprouts?Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> I like brocoli though....> > Peter H > > > > > > jo <jo.heartwork@ ...>> @gro ups.com> Monday, 28 January, 2008 11:16:11 PM> Re: Kale - in season :-)> >  > Don't like any cabbage!!! All brassicas are very healthy - anti-carcinogenic action etc. etc.> > > Jo> > - > Peter VV > @gro ups.com > Monday, January 28, 2008 9:10 PM> Re: Kale - in season :-)> > > Isnt that the stuff farmers used to grow to feed cattle?> Dont like any cabbage me.> > Peter H > > > > > > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ earthlin k.net>> @gro ups.com> Monday, 28 January, 2008 4:24:17 PM> Re: Kale - in season :-)> > > had kale last nite as a matter of fact......> > > > > heartwerk > Jan 27, 2008 11:55 PM > @gro ups.com > Kale - in season :-) > > > Kale> > Kale is an attractive looking member of the cabbage family. With its > dark green or red frilly leaves and distinctive cabbage-like taste it > is a popular alternative to cabbage, spring greens or spinach. Look > for small bunches of kale with crisp, fresh-looking leaves.> > Kale is served cooked. It can be served finely chopped or as a purée > for a side dish or included in soups and sauces or the classic > dishes, bubble and squeak and champ. Kale complements a wide variety > of food and its flavour profile means that it also works well with > stronger dishes such as game or with spicy dishes. It can also be > used in Indian dishes such as Kale Dhal.> > Cut the stalks off the frilly leaves and wash the leaves in cold > water. > > Kale can be steamed, stir fried or boiled. To steam, place the > prepared leaves in a steamer and cook for 3-5 minutes or until just > wilted. To boil, place the leaves in a pan with 2 tbsp water, cook, > covered for 2-3 minutes or until just wilted. Kale absorbs a lot of > liquid during cooking and should be drained thoroughly after cooking. > Drain in a sieve and use a metal spoon to press out as much liquid as > possible before serving.> > Keep refrigerated after purchase.> > Is an excellent source of:> - Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)> > Is a useful source of:> - Folate > - Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)> > Also contains:> - Rutin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)> - Zinc> - Calcium> - Isothiocyanates (Glucosinolates) > - Quercetin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)> - Potassium > - Iron> - Beta-carotene (Pro-vitamin A)> - Selenium> - Copper > - Indoles (Glucosinolates) > - Betacarotene (Carotenoids) > - Phosphorus> - Sulforaphane (Glucosinolates) > - Niacin (Vitamin B3)> - Vitamin A (Retinol)> - Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)> - Magnesium > - Lutein (Carotenoids)> > 80g kale (4 heaped tablespoons) , boiled, typically contains> 19 kcals> 1.9g protein> 0.9g fat> 0.8g carbohydrate> 2.2g fibre > > > Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. > Confucius> > > > > > Sent from - a smarter inbox. > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it> now.> http://uk.answers. />

Ah, you recognised it. Must be simular to the Fraggle mating call?

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Wednesday, 30 January, 2008 6:25:11 PMRe: Re: Kale - in season :-)

Peter VV Jan 30, 2008 12:21 PM @gro ups.com Re: Re: Kale - in season :-)

Waaaaaaaarghh!

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comWednesday, 30 January, 2008 7:34:57 AM Re: Kale - in season :-)

How about sprouts?Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> I like brocoli though....> > Peter H > > > > > > jo <jo.heartwork@ ...>> @gro ups.com> Monday, 28 January, 2008 11:16:11 PM> Re: Kale - in season :-)> >  > Don't like any cabbage!!! All brassicas are very healthy - anti-carcinogenic action etc. etc.> > > Jo> > - > Peter VV > @gro ups.com >

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:10 PM> Re: Kale - in season :-)> > > Isnt that the stuff farmers used to grow to feed cattle?> Dont like any cabbage me.> > Peter H > > > > > > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ earthlin k.net>> @gro ups.com> Monday, 28 January, 2008 4:24:17 PM> Re: Kale - in season :-)> > > had kale last nite as a matter of fact......> > > > > heartwerk > Jan 27, 2008 11:55 PM > @gro ups.com > Kale - in season :-) > > > Kale> > Kale is an attractive looking member of the cabbage family. With its > dark green or red frilly leaves and

distinctive cabbage-like taste it > is a popular alternative to cabbage, spring greens or spinach. Look > for small bunches of kale with crisp, fresh-looking leaves.> > Kale is served cooked. It can be served finely chopped or as a purée > for a side dish or included in soups and sauces or the classic > dishes, bubble and squeak and champ. Kale complements a wide variety > of food and its flavour profile means that it also works well with > stronger dishes such as game or with spicy dishes. It can also be > used in Indian dishes such as Kale Dhal.> > Cut the stalks off the frilly leaves and wash the leaves in cold > water. > > Kale can be steamed, stir fried or boiled. To steam, place the > prepared leaves in a steamer and cook for 3-5 minutes or until just > wilted. To boil, place the leaves in a pan with 2 tbsp water, cook,

> covered for 2-3 minutes or until just wilted. Kale absorbs a lot of > liquid during cooking and should be drained thoroughly after cooking. > Drain in a sieve and use a metal spoon to press out as much liquid as > possible before serving.> > Keep refrigerated after purchase.> > Is an excellent source of:> - Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)> > Is a useful source of:> - Folate > - Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)> > Also contains:> - Rutin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)> - Zinc> - Calcium> - Isothiocyanates (Glucosinolates) > - Quercetin (Flavonoids: Flavonols)> - Potassium > - Iron> - Beta-carotene (Pro-vitamin A)> - Selenium> - Copper > - Indoles (Glucosinolates) > - Betacarotene (Carotenoids) > - Phosphorus> - Sulforaphane (Glucosinolates) > - Niacin (Vitamin

B3)> - Vitamin A (Retinol)> - Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)> - Magnesium > - Lutein (Carotenoids)> > 80g kale (4 heaped tablespoons) , boiled, typically contains> 19 kcals> 1.9g protein> 0.9g fat> 0.8g carbohydrate> 2.2g fibre > > > Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. > Confucius> > > > > > Sent from - a smarter inbox. > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it> now.> http://uk.answers. />

no, thats closer to:

"freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer"

Peter VV Jan 30, 2008 2:54 PM Re: Re: Kale - in season :-)

Ah, you recognised it. Must be simular to the Fraggle mating call?

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Wednesday, 30 January, 2008 6:25:11 PMRe: Re: Kale - in season :-)

Peter VV Jan 30, 2008 12:21 PM @gro ups.com Re: Re: Kale - in season :-)

Waaaaaaaarghh!

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comWednesday, 30 January, 2008 7:34:57 AM Re: Kale - in season :-)

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try it now. Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

Confucius