IndiaDivine.org

The skinny on diet tome

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Contra Costa Times

Article Launched: 01/30/2008 03:03:51 AM PST

Q: My grandmother was an advocate of fresh air, exercise and eating fresh foods in the 1930s, way before it was fashionable. My mother, formerly a nurse, listened to Carlton Fredericks on the radio, so it stands to reason I understand the importance of proper nutrition -- more so because I have always had a weight problem and have gone on more diets than I can count, some which were the opposite of healthy. We learn from our mistakes, but this letter is not about me. Last summer, my slim sister-in-law read a book that Victoria Beckham was holding as she got off the plane when she landed here. The book, "Skinny Bitch," became a must-read among soccer moms. She said it advocated a vegan lifestyle and was trying it because she felt she needed to lose a few pounds. It sounded like fun, but I started to notice her three boys (ages 8, 7 and 4) were not eating, and she was making nasty comments whenever they would try. I decided to read the book and was horrified. I could not believe the publishers would ever print such trash. To date, my sister-in-law has lost more weight than is healthy, and I feel her extremely thin children are suffering from eating disorders as a result of her eating habits and nasty comments. Everyone tells me to mind my own business, but after finally reading the book I feel my sister-in-law and my nephews are not alone, and someone with authority has to expose this book for being what it really

is -- an anorexic's guide to excuses for not eating. I know you are not known as a literary critic, but your expertise is greatly needed. A: I was just in Chicago and gave a lunch/learn seminar for employees at the Blistex Corp. I had learned in advance that I might be asked about "Skinny Bitch," so I gave it a quick scan. I was disappointed at the misinformation it contained, including broad-stroke nonsense about meat, milk, mucus and anything nonvegan, including those issues you mention. It was blended with some raw humor and coated with a celebrity patina, and it added up to a very salable package. Let's face it: These books get published because they sell. I was unable to find any scientific references to back up the recommendations, only vague, faddist pronouncements coupled with simplistic yet sarcastic guilt-trip associations. Force-feeding questionable eating concepts to young children is irresponsible. People will usually lose weight whenever they refocus their eating regimen to a more limited set of options. It makes little difference whether it is low or high carbs, proteins or fats, or whether it includes special dietary supplements, juicing or premeasured meals. Simply paying attention to what you eat, or only eating from a subset of available foods, is likely to result in a short-term payoff of lost weight. The key is to make changes that last, not play faddist games that lead you by the nose on the disappointing cycle of losing weight and regaining it. We all have a shot at good health, whether we eat as an omnivore, a vegetarian or a vegan. The key is in how you do it, which foods you select, how much you eat, integrating physical activity into your lifestyle and keeping stress and joy in balance. The vegetarian/vegan eating pattern can be excellent. People have to know what they are doing and how to combine foods to get complete nutrition. "Skinny Bitch" is not a good guide to this healthful lifestyle. E-mail inquiries for Kensington resident Ed Blonz to cctimes.

Peter H

Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with for Good

while i've never read the book (tho, it was a perseus title the short time i was stuck working for those bastards) i've never heard anything but good things about the title...

of course..this is from the contra costa times...contra costa...the republican stronghold in the bay area,,,,east contra costa is still cattle country

but, again, never read the book

Peter VV Jan 30, 2008 2:59 PM Re: The skinny on diet tome

Contra Costa Times

Article Launched: 01/30/2008 03:03:51 AM PST

Q: My grandmother was an advocate of fresh air, exercise and eating fresh foods in the 1930s, way before it was fashionable. My mother, formerly a nurse, listened to Carlton Fredericks on the radio, so it stands to reason I understand the importance of proper nutrition -- more so because I have always had a weight problem and have gone on more diets than I can count, some which were the opposite of healthy. We learn from our mistakes, but this letter is not about me. Last summer, my slim sister-in-law read a book that Victoria Beckham was holding as she got off the plane when she landed here. The book, "Skinny Bitch," became a must-read among soccer moms. She said it advocated a vegan lifestyle and was trying it because she felt she needed to lose a few pounds. It sounded like fun, but I started to notice her three boys (ages 8, 7 and 4) were not eating, and she was making nasty comments whenever they would try. I decided to read the book and was horrified. I could not believe the publishers would ever print such trash. To date, my sister-in-law has lost more weight than is healthy, and I feel her extremely thin children are suffering from eating disorders as a result of her eating habits and nasty comments. Everyone tells me to mind my own business, but after finally reading the book I feel my sister-in-law and my nephews are not alone, and someone with authority has to expose this book for being what it really is -- an anorexic's guide to excuses for not eating. I know you are not known as a literary critic, but your expertise is greatly needed. A: I was just in Chicago and gave a lunch/learn seminar for employees at the Blistex Corp. I had learned in advance that I might be asked about "Skinny Bitch," so I gave it a quick scan. I was disappointed at the misinformation it contained, including broad-stroke nonsense about meat, milk, mucus and anything nonvegan, including those issues you mention. It was blended with some raw humor and coated with a celebrity patina, and it added up to a very salable package. Let's face it: These books get published because they sell. I was unable to find any scientific references to back up the recommendations, only vague, faddist pronouncements coupled with simplistic yet sarcastic guilt-trip associations. Force-feeding questionable eating concepts to young children is irresponsible. People will usually lose weight whenever they refocus their eating regimen to a more limited set of options. It makes little difference whether it is low or high carbs, proteins or fats, or whether it includes special dietary supplements, juicing or premeasured meals. Simply paying attention to what you eat, or only eating from a subset of available foods, is likely to result in a short-term payoff of lost weight. The key is to make changes that last, not play faddist games that lead you by the nose on the disappointing cycle of losing weight and regaining it. We all have a shot at good health, whether we eat as an omnivore, a vegetarian or a vegan. The key is in how you do it, which foods you select, how much you eat, integrating physical activity into your lifestyle and keeping stress and joy in balance. The vegetarian/vegan eating pattern can be excellent. People have to know what they are doing and how to combine foods to get complete nutrition. "Skinny Bitch" is not a good guide to this healthful lifestyle. E-mail inquiries for Kensington resident Ed Blonz to cctimes (AT) blonz (DOT) com.

Peter H

Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with for Good

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Confucius