IndiaDivine.org

An Omnivore’s Evolution

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dont know what to make of this :

Thanks to Bryan Welch (“Why I Farm,†February/March 2007) for his moving story of farm life. I have been mostly vegan for nearly three years, primarily to eat lower on the food chain and avoid the synthetic chemicals, hormones and antibiotics found in most animal products. I also choose this lifestyle in consideration of animals’ lives, our planet’s well-being and conservation of resources.

Recently, however, I’ve begun to re-evaluate my choices for a truly sustainable, healthy and environmentally sound diet. I’m realizing that being vegan in Montana isn’t nearly as sustainable as eating meat raised in a place like Bryan’s farm. My endive and fig salad with orange-balsamic vinaigrette, nothing of which comes from anywhere near Montana, strains the environment more than meat and potatoes from right down the road.

Within the past year I’ve reintroduced the occasional meal of wild game, hunted by some friends on land within miles of my home. I’ve accepted this meat back in my diet because I know how and where the animal lived, what it ate and how it was killed.

My friends hunt with reverence and respect for the life of the animal and aim to be “one shot wonders.†They took me hunting this fall. We didn’t kill an animal that day, but I am still committed to pursuing this experience. Although I await it with a sort of existential sadness. I fantasize of someday having a modest, self-sustaining farm with a fabulous garden, a few chickens and maybe some sheep or goats for meat, milk and fiber. That would be the last step in my evolution as an omnivore. I deeply appreciate the humility and depth of connection Bryan has with his farm and animals. His respect and reverence for their lives, and his honesty about confronting the life-death transition, are inspirational and affirming. I wish all meat-eaters could face the experience of killing the animals that sustain them with as much grace as Bryan — the world would be better for it.

ROSE TOCKEHelena, Montana

The Vegetarian Choice

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Homesteading/2007-04-01/Dear-Mother-April-May-2007.aspx

Peter H

Sent from - a smarter inbox.

Hi Peter

I'd say it's rather lazy thinking. There is a certain validity in the suggestion that meat from local animals won't have any of the "travel miles" from exotic fruits. But, at the risk of a terrible pun, it's comparing apples and pears... if he wanted to be truly environmentally friendly with his diet, he would compare the impact of localy farmed meat with the impact of locally farmed veg!

And, as Katy's just pointed out, the feed for the animals on his local farm almost certainly will have a large number of travel miles... so, woolly thinking on his part all round.

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Saturday, February 02, 2008 8:46 PM

Re: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Thanks to Bryan Welch (“Why I Farm,†February/March 2007) for his moving story of farm life. I have been mostly vegan for nearly three years, primarily to eat lower on the food chain and avoid the synthetic chemicals, hormones and antibiotics found in most animal products. I also choose this lifestyle in consideration of animals’ lives, our planet’s well-being and conservation of resources.

Recently, however, I’ve begun to re-evaluate my choices for a truly sustainable, healthy and environmentally sound diet. I’m realizing that being vegan in Montana isn’t nearly as sustainable as eating meat raised in a place like Bryan’s farm. My endive and fig salad with orange-balsamic vinaigrette, nothing of which comes from anywhere near Montana, strains the environment more than meat and potatoes from right down the road.

Within the past year I’ve reintroduced the occasional meal of wild game, hunted by some friends on land within miles of my home. I’ve accepted this meat back in my diet because I know how and where the animal lived, what it ate and how it was killed.

My friends hunt with reverence and respect for the life of the animal and aim to be “one shot wonders.†They took me hunting this fall. We didn’t kill an animal that day, but I am still committed to pursuing this experience. Although I await it with a sort of existential sadness. I fantasize of someday having a modest, self-sustaining farm with a fabulous garden, a few chickens and maybe some sheep or goats for meat, milk and fiber. That would be the last step in my evolution as an omnivore. I deeply appreciate the humility and depth of connection Bryan has with his farm and animals. His respect and reverence for their lives, and his honesty about confronting the life-death transition, are inspirational and affirming. I wish all meat-eaters could face the experience of killing the animals that sustain them with as much grace as Bryan — the world would be better for it.

The Vegetarian Choice

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Modern-Homesteading/2007-04-01/Dear-Mother-April-May-2007.aspx

Peter H

I agree.

Oh by the way, did I mention that Wales beat England at rugby today on English soil?..........:)

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab Sent: Saturday, 2 February, 2008 9:18:44 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Hi Peter

I'd say it's rather lazy thinking. There is a certain validity in the suggestion that meat from local animals won't have any of the "travel miles" from exotic fruits. But, at the risk of a terrible pun, it's comparing apples and pears... if he wanted to be truly environmentally friendly with his diet, he would compare the impact of localy farmed meat with the impact of locally farmed veg!

And, as Katy's just pointed out, the feed for the animals on his local farm almost certainly will have a large number of travel miles... so, woolly thinking on his part all round.

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

http://www.motherea rthnews.com/ Modern-Homestead ing/2007- 04-01/Dear- Mother-April- May-2007. aspx

Peter H

Hi Peter

So, where was the game? In Wales or England? ;-)

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Saturday, February 02, 2008 9:22 PM

I agree.

Oh by the way, did I mention that Wales beat England at rugby today on English soil?..........:)

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab Sent: Saturday, 2 February, 2008 9:18:44 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

http://www.motherea rthnews.com/ Modern-Homestead ing/2007- 04-01/Dear- Mother-April- May-2007. aspx

Peter H

Ha, Ha,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab Sent: Saturday, 2 February, 2008 9:25:38 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Oh by the way, did I mention that Wales beat England at rugby today on English soil?....... ...:)

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSaturday, 2 February, 2008 9:18:44 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try

it now.

Watch it!! Twas a good match - Wales not too good in first half, England not too good in second.

Jo

-

Peter VV

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

LOL - touche! and all that.

BBJo

-

metalscarab

Saturday, February 02, 2008 9:25 PM

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Seriously in need of a geography lesson.................:)

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Saturday, 2 February, 2008 11:19:29 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

BBJo

-

metalscarab

@gro ups.com

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Oh by the way, did I mention that Wales beat England at rugby today on English soil?....... ...:)

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSaturday, 2 February, 2008 9:18:44 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with for Good

The best team won in the end!

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Saturday, 2 February, 2008 11:18:39 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Watch it!! Twas a good match - Wales not too good in first half, England not too good in second.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Surely it comes under history.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Sunday, February 03, 2008 8:19 PM

Seriously in need of a geography lesson.................:)

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Saturday, 2 February, 2008 11:19:29 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

BBJo

-

metalscarab

@gro ups.com

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Its a contact sport, and a rough one at that, everyone accepts it. The referee didnt see it as a problem?

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Sunday, 3 February, 2008 9:41:47 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

....but look how many injuries they had to cause to the England team to win!

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Sunday, February 03, 2008 8:20 PM

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSaturday, 2 February, 2008 11:18:39 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try

it now.

Nope, the post office recognise the difference between England & Wales, plenty of roadsigns on the borders, and maps always show the borders?Maps are used in geography, not history?

:)

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Sunday, 3 February, 2008 9:41:18 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Seriously in need of a geography lesson...... ......... ..:)

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSaturday, 2 February, 2008 11:19:29 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

BBJo

-

metalscarab

@gro ups.com

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Hi Jo / Peter

So, displaying a fairly standard Welsh attitude toward the English?

BB

Peter

-

jo

Sunday, February 03, 2008 9:41 PM

Jo

-

Peter VV

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Saturday, 2 February, 2008 11:18:39 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Hi Peter

Last I knew, Westminster was based in London!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Sunday, February 03, 2008 10:20 PM

Nope, the post office recognise the difference between England & Wales, plenty of roadsigns on the borders, and maps always show the borders?Maps are used in geography, not history?

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Sunday, 3 February, 2008 9:41:18 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSaturday, 2 February, 2008 11:19:29 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

BBJo

-

metalscarab

@gro ups.com

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

you kids and yer rivalries...

if you'd just accept your place within USA Corp we could all just move on

*giggle*

*snort*

Peter VV Feb 3, 2008 2:20 PM Re: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Sunday, 3 February, 2008 9:41:18 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

BBJo

-

metalscarab

@gro ups.com

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Confucius

Hi Fraggle

Now, you know very well that under the ruling of the US Supreme Court in the Dartmouth College case, all land in the US is owned by the English monarch. ;-)

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Monday, February 04, 2008 4:25 PM

*giggle*

*snort*

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Sunday, 3 February, 2008 9:41:18 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

BBJo

-

metalscarab

@gro ups.com

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

that just showed the early bias of the supreme court to protect corporations over social legislation

metalscarab Feb 4, 2008 8:59 AM Re: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Hi Fraggle

Now, you know very well that under the ruling of the US Supreme Court in the Dartmouth College case, all land in the US is owned by the English monarch. ;-)

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

*giggle*

*snort*

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

BBJo

-

metalscarab

@gro ups.com

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Sent from - a smarter inbox. Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Confucius

Certainly the attitude that Peter gives.

Jo

-

metalscarab

Monday, February 04, 2008 9:38 AM

Hi Jo / Peter

BB

Peter

-

jo

Jo

-

Peter VV

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

LOL - cheeky!

Jo

-

fraggle

*giggle*

*snort*

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

BBJo

-

metalscarab

@gro ups.com

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Accepted our fate long ago under Blair....

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Monday, 4 February, 2008 4:25:46 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

*giggle*

*snort*

Peter VV Feb 3, 2008 2:20 PM @gro ups.com Re: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSunday, 3 February, 2008 9:41:18 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

BBJo

-

metalscarab

@gro ups.com

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Ah, so you are aware of some English landmarks?

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab Sent: Monday, 4 February, 2008 9:39:35 AMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Hi Peter

Last I knew, Westminster was based in London!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Sunday, February 03, 2008 10:20 PM

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSunday, 3 February, 2008 9:41:18 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

BBJo

-

metalscarab

@gro ups.com

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

And to be fair vice versa......

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab Sent: Monday, 4 February, 2008 9:38:25 AMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Hi Jo / Peter

BB

Peter

-

jo

@gro ups.com

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comSaturday, 2 February, 2008 11:18:39 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Hi Peter

I dunno - I've not heard any English people have any antagonism toward the Welsh... except in retaliation!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Monday, February 04, 2008 8:40 PM

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab Sent: Monday, 4 February, 2008 9:38:25 AMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Hi Jo / Peter

BB

Peter

-

jo

@gro ups.com

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Somehow I find that hard to believe, unfotunately.

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab Sent: Monday, 4 February, 2008 9:04:13 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Hi Peter

I dunno - I've not heard any English people have any antagonism toward the Welsh... except in retaliation!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comMonday, 4 February, 2008 9:38:25 AMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Hi Jo / Peter

BB

Peter

-

jo

@gro ups.com

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H

Hi Peter

I dunno - perhaps I just get a bit cheesed off with the constant racism I get from a number of Welsh people. Perhaps it's a problem of living near the border, but it does seem as though there are a large number of Welsh folks around here (and on e-mail lists) who have a real chip on their shoulder when it comes to the English. I've yet to come across anyone English with the same issues.... well, unless of course you take into consideration the fact that over 90% of the "Welsh" (and, ironically, the most fervent anti-English in my experience) come from English families who have moved to Wales in the past 100 years!!!!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Monday, February 04, 2008 9:17 PM

Somehow I find that hard to believe, unfotunately.

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab Sent: Monday, 4 February, 2008 9:04:13 PMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comMonday, 4 February, 2008 9:38:25 AMRe: An Omnivore’s Evolution

Hi Jo / Peter

BB

Peter

-

jo

@gro ups.com

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

I agree.

Peter H

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

The Vegetarian Choice

Peter H