50ml vegetable stock

3/4 tbs yellow bean sauce

1 tbs Chinese rice wine or dry sherry

1 tsp shoyu or tamari sauce

1 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbs water

2 spring onions, chopped, to serve

Preheated the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Put the whole aubergines in a foil-

lined roasting tin and bake for 30-35 minutes until they are soft and

wrinkly. Remove and set aside to cool, then cut into 2.5cm cubes.

Heat the oil in a nonstick sauté pan over a high heat until hot, add

the garlic, ginger and chilli and stir-fry for a few seconds until

fragrant. Stir in the stock, bean sauce, rice wine and shoyu sauce.

Bring to the boil. Add the aubergine cubes and simmer for about 5

minutes. Stir in the cornflour paste and cook until the sauce has

thickened and turned transparent. Sprinkle with spring onions and

serve immediately.

Again, sounds good, but a lot of ingredients that I havent got , and wouldnt buy just for one dish.

Have you made it?

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Sent: Thursday, 7 February, 2008 7:54:11 AM Spiced aubergines

This dish comes from Szechuan and is sometimes referred to as fish-fragrant aubergine because the combination of spices is usually used to cook fish dishes. This version is less spicy than the traditional recipe, but equally delicious. Discard the chilli seeds if you prefer a milder flavoured dish. Serves 4 750g aubergines1/2 tbs olive oil4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped2 slices fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped1 red chilli, sliced50ml vegetable stock3/4 tbs yellow bean sauce1 tbs Chinese rice wine or dry sherry1 tsp shoyu or tamari sauce1 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbs water2 spring onions, chopped, to serve Preheated the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Put the whole aubergines in a foil-lined roasting tin and bake for 30-35 minutes until they are soft and wrinkly. Remove and set aside to cool, then cut into 2.5cm cubes. Heat the oil in a nonstick sauté

pan over a high heat until hot, add the garlic, ginger and chilli and stir-fry for a few seconds until fragrant. Stir in the stock, bean sauce, rice wine and shoyu sauce. Bring to the boil. Add the aubergine cubes and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the cornflour paste and cook until the sauce has thickened and turned transparent. Sprinkle with spring onions and serve immediately.

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try

it now.

i wonder what ppl typically have in their cupboards then....

Peter VV Feb 7, 2008 12:20 PM Re: Spiced aubergines

Again, sounds good, but a lot of ingredients that I havent got , and wouldnt buy just for one dish.

Have you made it?

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork > Sent: Thursday, 7 February, 2008 7:54:11 AM Spiced aubergines

This dish comes from Szechuan and is sometimes referred to as fish-fragrant aubergine because the combination of spices is usually used to cook fish dishes. This version is less spicy than the traditional recipe, but equally delicious. Discard the chilli seeds if you prefer a milder flavoured dish. Serves 4 750g aubergines1/2 tbs olive oil4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped2 slices fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped1 red chilli, sliced50ml vegetable stock3/4 tbs yellow bean sauce1 tbs Chinese rice wine or dry sherry1 tsp shoyu or tamari sauce1 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbs water2 spring onions, chopped, to serve Preheated the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Put the whole aubergines in a foil-lined roasting tin and bake for 30-35 minutes until they are soft and wrinkly. Remove and set aside to cool, then cut into 2.5cm cubes. Heat the oil in a nonstick sauté pan over a high heat until hot, add the garlic, ginger and chilli and stir-fry for a few seconds until fragrant. Stir in the stock, bean sauce, rice wine and shoyu sauce. Bring to the boil. Add the aubergine cubes and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the cornflour paste and cook until the sauce has thickened and turned transparent. Sprinkle with spring onions and serve immediately.

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try it now.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Confucius

Hi all

Just looking at this recipe, brings up a question.... chinese rice wine... is there any reliable way of telling which ones are vegan? I gather that one usual technique of producing it has something to do with milk, but other methods don't - and as it's not a direct ingredient, it doesn't get listed!

BB

Peter

Certainly not rice wine or sherry, or yellowbean sauce. I could bluff it with soya sauce instead of the shoyu I suppose?

heres a joke just for Fraggle.............

What is the difference between a Harley and a Hoover? The position of the dirt bag.:)

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Thursday, 7 February, 2008 8:26:56 PMRe: Spiced aubergines

Peter VV Feb 7, 2008 12:20 PM @gro ups.com Re: Spiced aubergines

Have you made it?

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comThursday, 7 February, 2008 7:54:11 AM Spiced aubergines

This dish comes from Szechuan and is sometimes referred to as fish-fragrant aubergine because the combination of spices is usually used to cook fish dishes. This version is less spicy than the traditional recipe, but equally delicious. Discard the chilli seeds if you prefer a milder flavoured dish. Serves 4 750g aubergines1/2 tbs olive oil4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped2 slices fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped1 red chilli, sliced50ml vegetable stock3/4 tbs yellow bean sauce1 tbs Chinese rice wine or dry sherry1 tsp shoyu or tamari sauce1 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbs water2 spring onions, chopped, to serve Preheated the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Put the whole aubergines in a foil-lined roasting tin and bake for 30-35 minutes until they are soft and wrinkly. Remove and set aside to cool, then cut into 2.5cm cubes. Heat the oil in a nonstick sauté

pan over a high heat until hot, add the garlic, ginger and chilli and stir-fry for a few seconds until fragrant. Stir in the stock, bean sauce, rice wine and shoyu sauce. Bring to the boil. Add the aubergine cubes and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the cornflour paste and cook until the sauce has thickened and turned transparent. Sprinkle with spring onions and serve immediately.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

Sent from - a smarter inbox.

ouch..that was pretty messed

but...we have sherry and rive wine...we have shoyu...i guess its all in where you live and cook with....

Peter VV Feb 7, 2008 12:59 PM Re: Spiced aubergines

Certainly not rice wine or sherry, or yellowbean sauce. I could bluff it with soya sauce instead of the shoyu I suppose?

What is the difference between a Harley and a Hoover? The position of the dirt bag.:)

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Thursday, 7 February, 2008 8:26:56 PMRe: Spiced aubergines

Have you made it?

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comThursday, 7 February, 2008 7:54:11 AM Spiced aubergines

This dish comes from Szechuan and is sometimes referred to as fish-fragrant aubergine because the combination of spices is usually used to cook fish dishes. This version is less spicy than the traditional recipe, but equally delicious. Discard the chilli seeds if you prefer a milder flavoured dish. Serves 4 750g aubergines1/2 tbs olive oil4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped2 slices fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped1 red chilli, sliced50ml vegetable stock3/4 tbs yellow bean sauce1 tbs Chinese rice wine or dry sherry1 tsp shoyu or tamari sauce1 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbs water2 spring onions, chopped, to serve Preheated the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Put the whole aubergines in a foil-lined roasting tin and bake for 30-35 minutes until they are soft and wrinkly. Remove and set aside to cool, then cut into 2.5cm cubes. Heat the oil in a nonstick sauté pan over a high heat until hot, add the garlic, ginger and chilli and stir-fry for a few seconds until fragrant. Stir in the stock, bean sauce, rice wine and shoyu sauce. Bring to the boil. Add the aubergine cubes and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the cornflour paste and cook until the sauce has thickened and turned transparent. Sprinkle with spring onions and serve immediately.

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try it now. Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

Confucius

producing rice wine vinegar..with milk??

thats a new one on me...

never heard of it made that way....

metalscarab Feb 7, 2008 12:34 PM Re: Spiced aubergines

Hi all

Just looking at this recipe, brings up a question.... chinese rice wine... is there any reliable way of telling which ones are vegan? I gather that one usual technique of producing it has something to do with milk, but other methods don't - and as it's not a direct ingredient, it doesn't get listed!

BB

Peter

Confucius

oh, and speaking of which....

happy new year

fraggle Feb 7, 2008 1:25 PM Re: Spiced aubergines

thats a new one on me...

Hi all

BB

Peter

Confucius

I haven't made it yet, but I have all the ingredients - will give it a go sometime.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Thursday, February 07, 2008 8:20 PM

Re: Spiced aubergines

Have you made it?

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Sent: Thursday, 7 February, 2008 7:54:11 AM Spiced aubergines

I have all of those ingredients. We have loads of spices and dried herbs - lots of veggies, tofu, loads of beans, nuts, lentils etc. and rice and other grains.

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, February 07, 2008 8:26 PM

Peter VV Feb 7, 2008 12:20 PM Re: Spiced aubergines

Have you made it?

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork > Sent: Thursday, 7 February, 2008 7:54:11 AM Spiced aubergines

Hi Peter

Was that what Katy was looking for last time we saw you? It says you can use dry sherry - maybe that stands more chance of being vegan.

BBJo

-

metalscarab

Thursday, February 07, 2008 8:34 PM

Hi all

BB

Peter

Soy sauce would be a good alternative. We always have yellow bean sauce in - it makes good korma sauce.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Thursday, February 07, 2008 8:59 PM

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Thursday, 7 February, 2008 8:26:56 PMRe: Spiced aubergines

Have you made it?

Peter H

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try it now. Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

Hi Fraggle

I was surprised. I only found out because I had a meal with some in, and had a bad reaction to it. I checked all the ingredients, and everything was vegan, so I checked the few things that I'd not had before, and found out that rice wine often has lactic acid added to speed up the fermentation process. I know that Sukoju always has lactic acid, and I gather that Sake and Namazake can do... I don't know about the other types.

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Thursday, February 07, 2008 9:25 PM

thats a new one on me...

Hi all

BB

Peter

I think that was a veagn equivalent to Fish Sauce!!! We've got some rice wine which seems to be fine!

BB

Peter

-

jo

Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:06 PM

Hi Peter

Was that what Katy was looking for last time we saw you? It says you can use dry sherry - maybe that stands more chance of being vegan.

BBJo

-

metalscarab

Hi all

BB

Peter

I'm glad you found some rice wine that is okay. Have you got some good recipes lined up? If there are any particularly good ones you could post them here for us.

Jo

-

metalscarab

Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:17 PM

I think that was a veagn equivalent to Fish Sauce!!! We've got some rice wine which seems to be fine!

BB

Peter

-

jo

Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:06 PM

Hi Peter

BBJo

-

metalscarab

Hi all

BB

Peter

hmmm

well..dunno about brands available in UKland...but..lactic acid is a by product of bacteria in general....

(or mold and bacteria in the case of sake's)

vinegar has lactic acid as a by product of the bacillus added to the wine (or beer, or cider, or whatever type of vinegar made) which sours the product and releases lactic acid

wheat beers and assorted belgian beers have lactic acid as a basis of their make up....

lactic acid added to something generally comes from a starch (i had to spell that word 5 freakin times before i got it right..damn fingers) with a strain of bacillus added to it....

at least, thats it in general

there are non vegan sources of lactic acid, heck our muscles create it every second, but, in general, its from a bacteria

metalscarab Feb 7, 2008 2:16 PM Re: Spiced aubergines

Hi Fraggle

I was surprised. I only found out because I had a meal with some in, and had a bad reaction to it. I checked all the ingredients, and everything was vegan, so I checked the few things that I'd not had before, and found out that rice wine often has lactic acid added to speed up the fermentation process. I know that Sukoju always has lactic acid, and I gather that Sake and Namazake can do... I don't know about the other types.

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

thats a new one on me...

Hi all

BB

Peter

Confucius

Hi Fraggle

You may well be right.... I was just assuming "lactic" was etymologically derived from "lactose", but that was pure guess-work.

If it's not, then I'm completely baffled as to what i reacted to in that meal!!!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Thursday, February 07, 2008 10:45 PM

hmmm

well..dunno about brands available in UKland...but..lactic acid is a by product of bacteria in general....

vinegar has lactic acid as a by product of the bacillus added to the wine (or beer, or cider, or whatever type of vinegar made) which sours the product and releases lactic acid

wheat beers and assorted belgian beers have lactic acid as a basis of their make up....

lactic acid added to something generally comes from a starch (i had to spell that word 5 freakin times before i got it right..damn fingers) with a strain of bacillus added to it....

there are non vegan sources of lactic acid, heck our muscles create it every second, but, in general, its from a bacteria

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

thats a new one on me...

Hi all

BB

Peter

Did it have monosodium glutamate in it - Chinese restaurants often use it.

BBJo

-

metalscarab

Thursday, February 07, 2008 11:04 PM

Hi Fraggle

You may well be right.... I was just assuming "lactic" was etymologically derived from "lactose", but that was pure guess-work.

If it's not, then I'm completely baffled as to what i reacted to in that meal!!!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

hmmm

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

thats a new one on me...

Hi all

BB

Peter

yeah, it seems like it would be, but it doesn't have to do with the sugar lactose, but a different sugar...i think galactose (but don't hold me to that exact one)

time to widen the search then...not good to have reactions to something and you don't know what it is

but, on a good note, you don't have to run screamin anymore from something tyat has lactic acid as an ingredient

metalscarab Feb 7, 2008 6:04 PM Re: Spiced aubergines

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

hmmm

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

thats a new one on me...

Hi all

BB

Peter

Confucius

Hi Fraggle

OK - I've checked it out, and it seems we're both correct.

From Wikipedia (and I know that's not necessarily reliable, but this article seems well researched): "Although it can be fermented from lactose (milk sugar), most commercially used lactic acid is derived by using bacteria such as Bacillus acidilacti, Lactobacillus delbueckii or Lactobacillus bulgaricus to ferment carbohydrates from nondairy sources such as cornstarch, potatoes and molasses."

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Friday, February 08, 2008 12:14 AM

yeah, it seems like it would be, but it doesn't have to do with the sugar lactose, but a different sugar...i think galactose (but don't hold me to that exact one)

time to widen the search then...not good to have reactions to something and you don't know what it is

but, on a good note, you don't have to run screamin anymore from something tyat has lactic acid as an ingredient

metalscarab Feb 7, 2008 6:04 PM Re: Spiced aubergines

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

hmmm

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

thats a new one on me...

Hi all

BB

Peter