IndiaDivine.org

African Path : What do Vegans eat?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

February 16, 2008 10:46 AM

By SokariI am now Vegan - phew I have finally spoken the words in a public space. Am sweating from the admittance not because there is anything negative about being a Vegan, on the contrary I feel quite proud that I am no longing consuming animal bits. But a certain commitment comes with public admissions. I have to say though my veganism does not extend to me throwing away my shoes and leather jacket - I mean I have them so I might as well wear them. I was watching K D Lang when someone from the audience asked why she performs barefoot. “I’m vegan†she replied and went on to explain about the ugliness of plastic shoes. But what about the drums in the band are they not made of animal skins? I need help on that one but maybe I am only a “food vegan“? Actually being vegan today is a lot easier than I thought and I have discovered some

delicious foods and a few pretty disgusting ones. Loads of veggies and soya everything - tofu, flavored tofu, dried soya chunks and mince, tasty spicy soya pates, soya “fish†cakes, soya burgers the list is endless and of course Linda McCartney helps if you are in fast food mode. The only thing I miss is honey and cheap chocolate like bounty and crunchy bars. It’s Saturday morning and sad as it is, I’m reading vegan blogs. From VegHaven which gives you a starter kit in case you haven’t a clue what to eat, is a Vegan/Vegetarian social networking site and no I am not joining. A Veggie Adventure has recipes like stir fried brown rice which might well send your stomach into free fall! VeganKid who I met as the USSF and whose report about plans to grow meat plants was probably the first time I started to think Vegan. Deep Roots Animal Sanctury also written by Vegan Kid is an animal rights blog. Which brings me to Zami. Do I have the

right to deprive her of the dried meaty dog food she loves and turn her into a vegan dog? Even worse, no more cow hide bones to chew.

<< < 1 > >>

3 comments on this post

Reverse Comment Order

Added: February 16, 2008 04:28 PM

Re vegan dogs

Congratulations on choosing a vegan diet. You'll come around to the knowledge that purchasing animal products (leather etc) perpetuates the need for said products and hence more animal cruelty. But there is no reason to get rid of your current stuff. It takes time to learn everything you need to know. As for your dog. I've had veg and non veg dogs. As long as you are purchasing the HIGHEST quality food for your pet, you're doing the best for them. Avoid corn and wheat fillers for your pup and DEFINITELY give up the rawhide. That stuff is so dangerous for your dog. Choking, intestinal blockage...you name it. Google a bit and you'll realize why you shouldn't give it to your dog. Happy vegan life to you!

By:

vegangirl

Alert a moderator

Added: February 16, 2008 08:41 PM

Good for you

It's fantastic that you've made the decision to go vegan! Congrats.

By:

String Bean

Alert a moderator

Added: February 17, 2008 09:54 AM

I read your blog and I have just a bit of advice, try to think about all the great stuff you can eat now and not the stuff you cant. Doing that will help you keep focused and upbeat about your new life decision. I know that it can be tough because, at first you dont command a list of recipies on a moments notice like you did before but it gets easier day by day. Please come check out my sites and blog at www.squidoo.com/goactivism and www.myspace.com/goactivism. Good luck in your new life.

By:

Becca

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try

it now.

Just one small point on this article.... the drum skins are very unlikely to be animal. Most pro drummers use Remo heads, which are completely animal free.

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Sunday, February 17, 2008 8:51 PM

Re: African Path : What do Vegans eat?

February 16, 2008 10:46 AM

By SokariI am now Vegan - phew I have finally spoken the words in a public space. Am sweating from the admittance not because there is anything negative about being a Vegan, on the contrary I feel quite proud that I am no longing consuming animal bits. But a certain commitment comes with public admissions. I have to say though my veganism does not extend to me throwing away my shoes and leather jacket - I mean I have them so I might as well wear them. I was watching K D Lang when someone from the audience asked why she performs barefoot. “I’m vegan†she replied and went on to explain about the ugliness of plastic shoes. But what about the drums in the band are they not made of animal skins? I need help on that one but maybe I am only a “food vegan“? Actually being vegan today is a lot easier than I thought and I have discovered some delicious foods and a few pretty disgusting ones. Loads of veggies and soya everything - tofu, flavored tofu, dried soya chunks and mince, tasty spicy soya pates, soya “fish†cakes, soya burgers the list is endless and of course Linda McCartney helps if you are in fast food mode. The only thing I miss is honey and cheap chocolate like bounty and crunchy bars. It’s Saturday morning and sad as it is, I’m reading vegan blogs. From VegHaven which gives you a starter kit in case you haven’t a clue what to eat, is a Vegan/Vegetarian social networking site and no I am not joining. A Veggie Adventure has recipes like stir fried brown rice which might well send your stomach into free fall! VeganKid who I met as the USSF and whose report about plans to grow meat plants was probably the first time I started to think Vegan. Deep Roots Animal Sanctury also written by Vegan Kid is an animal rights blog. Which brings me to Zami. Do I have the right to deprive her of the dried meaty dog food she loves and turn her into a vegan dog? Even worse, no more cow hide bones to chew.

<< < 1 > >>

3 comments on this post

Reverse Comment Order

Added: February 16, 2008 04:28 PM

Re vegan dogs

Congratulations on choosing a vegan diet. You'll come around to the knowledge that purchasing animal products (leather etc) perpetuates the need for said products and hence more animal cruelty. But there is no reason to get rid of your current stuff. It takes time to learn everything you need to know. As for your dog. I've had veg and non veg dogs. As long as you are purchasing the HIGHEST quality food for your pet, you're doing the best for them. Avoid corn and wheat fillers for your pup and DEFINITELY give up the rawhide. That stuff is so dangerous for your dog. Choking, intestinal blockage...you name it. Google a bit and you'll realize why you shouldn't give it to your dog. Happy vegan life to you!

By:

vegangirl

Alert a moderator

Added: February 16, 2008 08:41 PM

Good for you

It's fantastic that you've made the decision to go vegan! Congrats.

By:

String Bean

Alert a moderator

Added: February 17, 2008 09:54 AM

I read your blog and I have just a bit of advice, try to think about all the great stuff you can eat now and not the stuff you cant. Doing that will help you keep focused and upbeat about your new life decision. I know that it can be tough because, at first you dont command a list of recipies on a moments notice like you did before but it gets easier day by day. Please come check out my sites and blog at www.squidoo.com/goactivism and www.myspace.com/goactivism. Good luck in your new life.

By:

Becca

Answers - Get better answers from someone who knows. Try it now.