protein and calcium but the other nutrients as well. And how I

believe that these other great foods are better for the various

reasons and how it doesn't hurt anyone to eat them. And I realize

that this is probably the best approach and a wise one, but when they

send home little pamphlets on " happy cows " about the dairy cow

cuddling her calf as she kindly offers up her milk for human

consumption. So I know what I want to teach it and how I want to

teach it (I guess) but I wish there were some way I could (without

pushing like they have) educated them about how the COW is not happy.

And about the many great vegan dishes available offering many great

substitutes that are better for you and the animals.I do not require

my boys to be strict vegans or vegetarians. I am a vegan my husband a

strict vegetarian and since I do the cooking and the shopping we all

eat vegan, However (so you know where I stand on NOT pushing) if we

go out, the choice is theirs to make (same with schools, camps etc..)

I offer a healthy vegan option or several and if they don't take it

no harm done. I bring this up so that the whole style can been seen

but NOT as something I feel like getting harped on about. my family

is new to VEG (since novemember) and while I turned overnight I

don't expect my kids to nor do I want to push them a way with

unwavering rules in a harshly judging world. Anyways my point here

being this is the whole picture and how I believe and I guess I am

asking what else I can do on top of it along the same lines that I am

not already doing. Not offering this up as an opportunity for

scrutiny then I let my kids do some amount of choosing outside of the

home. we live out in the sticks but are like the suburbs kinda, we do

have many farms around and I live in CT which in my opinion I have

found to be less out going than my original residence in CA.. We

spend allot of time at home and usually when we do go out its all

together so its a long tedious search for a vegan free restaurant. I

have tried to get tougher a play group in my area for VEG kids but

there just doesn't seem to be any. Anyways I am curious to know what

you parents do, and what you guys think about what I should do

regarding at least the " misleading information " I feel they are

teaching my son in school. thanks for any information!

Alicia

Guest guest

i think the book "raising vegan children in a non-vegan world" has a bunch of info on this subject

angelicammo Mar 14, 2008 3:31 AM schools nutrition information

I am wondering how one deal with the nutrition information that school hand out to the kids. My son is 7 and they study the different nutrients in foods (which I am all for) but he seems to get out of it that MEAT is protein and MILK is calcium. I kindly reiterate how there are so many beautiful colors and tastes that provide not only protein and calcium but the other nutrients as well. And how I believe that these other great foods are better for the various reasons and how it doesn't hurt anyone to eat them. And I realize that this is probably the best approach and a wise one, but when they send home little pamphlets on "happy cows" about the dairy cow cuddling her calf as she kindly offers up her milk for human consumption. So I know what I want to teach it and how I want to teach it (I guess) but I wish there were some way I could (without pushing like they have) educated them about how the COW is not happy. And about the many great vegan dishes available offering many great substitutes that are better for you and the animals.I do not require my boys to be strict vegans or vegetarians. I am a vegan my husband a strict vegetarian and since I do the cooking and the shopping we all eat vegan, However (so you know where I stand on NOT pushing) if we go out, the choice is theirs to make (same with schools, camps etc..) I offer a healthy vegan option or several and if they don't take it no harm done. I bring this up so that the whole style can been seen but NOT as something I feel like getting harped on about. my family is new to VEG (since novemember) and while I turned overnight I don't expect my kids to nor do I want to push them a way with unwavering rules in a harshly judging world. Anyways my point here being this is the whole picture and how I believe and I guess I am asking what else I can do on top of it along the same lines that I am not already doing. Not offering this up as an opportunity for scrutiny then I let my kids do some amount of choosing outside of the home. we live out in the sticks but are like the suburbs kinda, we do have many farms around and I live in CT which in my opinion I have found to be less out going than my original residence in CA.. We spend allot of time at home and usually when we do go out its all together so its a long tedious search for a vegan free restaurant. I have tried to get tougher a play group in my area for VEG kids but there just doesn't seem to be any. Anyways I am curious to know what you parents do, and what you guys think about what I should do regarding at least the "misleading information" I feel they are teaching my son in school. thanks for any information! Alicia

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

oh, and btw...oooo, connecticut...i'm sorry

:)are there any PTA meetings you can go to and bring up the issue about opening up the skool lunch program/bring in alterno info (ie:, cows aren't happy playing in the field as shown on the milk carton)

i would assume MOST parents and skools take a dim view unfortunately of anyone meddling with nutrition information, as, face it, no one likes to see the truth...

I am wondering how one deal with the nutrition information that school hand out to the kids. My son is 7 and they study the different nutrients in foods (which I am all for) but he seems to get out of it that MEAT is protein and MILK is calcium. I kindly reiterate how there are so many beautiful colors and tastes that provide not only protein and calcium but the other nutrients as well. And how I believe that these other great foods are better for the various reasons and how it doesn't hurt anyone to eat them. And I realize that this is probably the best approach and a wise one, but when they send home little pamphlets on "happy cows" about the dairy cow cuddling her calf as she kindly offers up her milk for human consumption. So I know what I want to teach it and how I want to teach it (I guess) but I wish there were some way I could (without pushing like they have) educated them about how the COW is not happy. And about the many great vegan dishes available offering many great substitutes that are better for you and the animals.I do not require my boys to be strict vegans or vegetarians. I am a vegan my husband a strict vegetarian and since I do the cooking and the shopping we all eat vegan, However (so you know where I stand on NOT pushing) if we go out, the choice is theirs to make (same with schools, camps etc..) I offer a healthy vegan option or several and if they don't take it no harm done. I bring this up so that the whole style can been seen but NOT as something I feel like getting harped on about. my family is new to VEG (since novemember) and while I turned overnight I don't expect my kids to nor do I want to push them a way with unwavering rules in a harshly judging world. Anyways my point here being this is the whole picture and how I believe and I guess I am asking what else I can do on top of it along the same lines that I am not already doing. Not offering this up as an opportunity for scrutiny then I let my kids do some amount of choosing outside of the home. we live out in the sticks but are like the suburbs kinda, we do have many farms around and I live in CT which in my opinion I have found to be less out going than my original residence in CA.. We spend allot of time at home and usually when we do go out its all together so its a long tedious search for a vegan free restaurant. I have tried to get tougher a play group in my area for VEG kids but there just doesn't seem to be any. Anyways I am curious to know what you parents do, and what you guys think about what I should do regarding at least the "misleading information" I feel they are teaching my son in school. thanks for any information! Alicia

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

yea tell me about it, CT! thanks for the info i am reading a book called raising vegitarian children so i will look into the one you recomended next! thanks! my son is trying to be rebelious against it all.

Thanks,

Alicia Marie M. O.(AmMo)

Like Jewelry? Like Art?

Visit my site! A selection of Hand Made Jewelry by me!www.freewebs.com/angelicammo

www.peta2.com/p2vsk2_flash/ The things I wish someone would have told me sooner! Changing the world one person at a time! Please veiw this and then please pass it on! Lets all make the difference together. The music is beautiful! Turn up your speakers!

Go GREEN! Join up with your local freecycle group at freecycle.org

From: EBbrewpunxDate: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:01:46 -0800Re: schools nutrition information

oh, and btw...oooo, connecticut...i'm sorry

:)are there any PTA meetings you can go to and bring up the issue about opening up the skool lunch program/bring in alterno info (ie:, cows aren't happy playing in the field as shown on the milk carton)

i would assume MOST parents and skools take a dim view unfortunately of anyone meddling with nutrition information, as, face it, no one likes to see the truth...

I am wondering how one deal with the nutrition information that school hand out to the kids. My son is 7 and they study the different nutrients in foods (which I am all for) but he seems to get out of it that MEAT is protein and MILK is calcium. I kindly reiterate how there are so many beautiful colors and tastes that provide not only protein and calcium but the other nutrients as well. And how I believe that these other great foods are better for the various reasons and how it doesn't hurt anyone to eat them. And I realize that this is probably the best approach and a wise one, but when they send home little pamphlets on "happy cows" about the dairy cow cuddling her calf as she kindly offers up her milk for human consumption. So I know what I want to teach it and how I want to teach it (I guess) but I wish there were some way I could (without pushing like they have) educated them about how the COW is not happy. And about the many great vegan dishes available offering many great substitutes that are better for you and the animals.I do not require my boys to be strict vegans or vegetarians. I am a vegan my husband a strict vegetarian and since I do the cooking and the shopping we all eat vegan, However (so you know where I stand on NOT pushing) if we go out, the choice is theirs to make (same with schools, camps etc..) I offer a healthy vegan option or several and if they don't take it no harm done. I bring this up so that the whole style can been seen but NOT as something I feel like getting harped on about. my family is new to VEG (since novemember) and while I turned overnight I don't expect my kids to nor do I want to push them a way with unwavering rules in a harshly judging world. Anyways my point here being this is the whole picture and how I believe and I guess I am asking what else I can do on top of it along the same lines that I am not already doing. Not offering this up as an opportunity for scrutiny then I let my kids do some amount of choosing outside of the home. we live out in the sticks but are like the suburbs kinda, we do have many farms around and I live in CT which in my opinion I have found to be less out going than my original residence in CA.. We spend allot of time at home and usually when we do go out its all together so its a long tedious search for a vegan free restaurant. I have tried to get tougher a play group in my area for VEG kids but there just doesn't seem to be any. Anyways I am curious to know what you parents do, and what you guys think about what I should do regarding at least the "misleading information" I feel they are teaching my son in school. thanks for any information! AliciaWhat gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! Learn more.

Guest guest

In the UK, The UK Vegan Society now sends schools packs on vegan diets with an intective CD- ROM

http://www.vegansociety.com/phpws/index.php?module=announce & ANN_user_op=view & ANN_id=140

Heres their link to info on vegan children , which you may find useful:

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/people/lifestyle/families/parenting/vegan_children/

Peter H

angelicammo <ammo913 Sent: Friday, 14 March, 2008 11:31:38 AM schools nutrition information

I am wondering how one deal with the nutrition information that school hand out to the kids. My son is 7 and they study the different nutrients in foods (which I am all for) but he seems to get out of it that MEAT is protein and MILK is calcium. I kindly reiterate how there are so many beautiful colors and tastes that provide not only protein and calcium but the other nutrients as well. And how I believe that these other great foods are better for the various reasons and how it doesn't hurt anyone to eat them. And I realize that this is probably the best approach and a wise one, but when they send home little pamphlets on "happy cows" about the dairy cow cuddling her calf as she kindly offers up her milk for human consumption. So I know what I want to teach it and how I want to teach it (I guess) but I wish there were some way I could (without pushing like they have) educated them about how the COW

is not happy. And about the many great vegan dishes available offering many great substitutes that are better for you and the animals.I do not require my boys to be strict vegans or vegetarians. I am a vegan my husband a strict vegetarian and since I do the cooking and the shopping we all eat vegan, However (so you know where I stand on NOT pushing) if we go out, the choice is theirs to make (same with schools, camps etc..) I offer a healthy vegan option or several and if they don't take it no harm done. I bring this up so that the whole style can been seen but NOT as something I feel like getting harped on about. my family is new to VEG (since novemember) and while I turned overnight I don't expect my kids to nor do I want to push them a way with unwavering rules in a harshly judging world. Anyways my point here being this is the whole picture and how I believe and I guess I am asking what else I

can do on top of it along the same lines that I am not already doing. Not offering this up as an opportunity for scrutiny then I let my kids do some amount of choosing outside of the home. we live out in the sticks but are like the suburbs kinda, we do have many farms around and I live in CT which in my opinion I have found to be less out going than my original residence in CA.. We spend allot of time at home and usually when we do go out its all together so its a long tedious search for a vegan free restaurant. I have tried to get tougher a play group in my area for VEG kids but there just doesn't seem to be any. Anyways I am curious to know what you parents do, and what you guys think about what I should do regarding at least the "misleading information" I feel they are teaching my son in school. thanks for any information! Alicia

Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with for Good

Guest guest

thanks!

Thanks,

Alicia Marie M. O.(AmMo)

Like Jewelry? Like Art?

Visit my site! A selection of Hand Made Jewelry by me!www.freewebs.com/angelicammo

www.peta2.com/p2vsk2_flash/ The things I wish someone would have told me sooner! Changing the world one person at a time! Please veiw this and then please pass it on! Lets all make the difference together. The music is beautiful! Turn up your speakers!

Go GREEN! Join up with your local freecycle group at freecycle.org

From: swpgh01Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:56:04 +0000Re: schools nutrition information

In the UK, The UK Vegan Society now sends schools packs on vegan diets with an intective CD- ROM

http://www.vegansociety.com/phpws/index.php?module=announce & ANN_user_op=view & ANN_id=140

Heres their link to info on vegan children , which you may find useful:

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/people/lifestyle/families/parenting/vegan_children/

Peter H

angelicammo <ammo913 (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> Sent: Friday, 14 March, 2008 11:31:38 AM schools nutrition information

Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with for Good Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Get it now!