dash of nutmeg

¾ cup walnuts, ground

¼ cup nutritional yeast

1 teaspoon salt

pepper to taste

1 pound filo/phyllo pastry dough

Directions Preheat oven to 375º.

Heat 2 T oil, add spinach, green onion, garlic, and dill, and sauté, stirring

frequently until spinach is limp and the liquid that sweats out has boiled away.

Set aside.

Drain tofu, wrap in towel(s), and press out excess liquid. PLace in bowl and use

whisk (or your hands) to mash it. Add spinach, lemon juice, oregano, nutmeg,

walnuts, ¼ c olive oil, yeast, salt, and pepper and mix well. Taste and adjust

seasonings.

Lay out a sheet of filo in the baking dish (it will overlap the sides). Brush

with oil, lay another on top, brush with oil, and repeat for a total of 8

sheets.

Spread half of the spinach mixture over the dough. Lay out another 8 sheets of

filo as above. Spread the rest of the spinach on top, then lay out the rest of

the filo.

Brush the top with oil and tuck the edges of the filo sheets into the pan.

Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes, until golden-brown and crispy.

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure

that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

Hmmm,

Nutritional yeast? never seen it anywhere. Marmite do?

can you use ground almonds instead of walnuts?

oh and what is a cup as a measurement, in real money?

I can honestly say I have never seen fresh dill, will dried do?

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunxvegan chat Friday, 14 March, 2008 10:21:41 PM spanikopita

here ya go peterIngredients½ cup olive oil + plus 2 tablespoons2 bunches fresh spinach, cleaned and de-stemmed 1 bunch of scallions/green onions, finely chopped3 cloves garlic, minced 1 cup fresh dill, chopped 2 pounds firm tofu 1/3 cup lemon juice 2 teaspoon dried oregano dash of nutmeg ¾ cup walnuts, ground ¼ cup nutritional yeast 1 teaspoon salt pepper to taste1 pound filo/phyllo pastry doughDirections Preheat oven to 375º. Heat 2 T oil, add spinach, green onion, garlic, and dill, and sauté, stirring frequently until spinach is limp and the liquid that sweats out has boiled away. Set aside.Drain tofu, wrap in towel(s), and press out excess liquid. PLace in bowl and use whisk (or your hands) to mash it. Add spinach, lemon juice, oregano, nutmeg, walnuts, ¼ c olive oil, yeast, salt, and pepper and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings.Lay out a sheet of

filo in the baking dish (it will overlap the sides). Brush with oil, lay another on top, brush with oil, and repeat for a total of 8 sheets.Spread half of the spinach mixture over the dough. Lay out another 8 sheets of filo as above. Spread the rest of the spinach on top, then lay out the rest of the filo.Brush the top with oil and tuck the edges of the filo sheets into the pan. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes, until golden-brown and crispy.What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.- Mark Twain

Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with for Good

Guest guest

you don't have "cup" as a measurement?

how odd

learn something new everyday

United States "legal" cup

The cup currently used in the United States for nutrition labelling is defined in United States law[6] as 240 ml.[7][8]

1 U.S. "legal" cup

=

millilitres

=

international tablespoons

=

Australian tablespoons

≈

U.S. customary fluid ounces

≈

imperial fluid ounces

Peter VV Mar 15, 2008 8:49 AM Re: spanikopita

Hmmm,

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>vegan chat Friday, 14 March, 2008 10:21:41 PM spanikopita

here ya go peterIngredients½ cup olive oil + plus 2 tablespoons2 bunches fresh spinach, cleaned and de-stemmed 1 bunch of scallions/green onions, finely chopped3 cloves garlic, minced 1 cup fresh dill, chopped 2 pounds firm tofu 1/3 cup lemon juice 2 teaspoon dried oregano dash of nutmeg ¾ cup walnuts, ground ¼ cup nutritional yeast 1 teaspoon salt pepper to taste1 pound filo/phyllo pastry doughDirections Preheat oven to 375º. Heat 2 T oil, add spinach, green onion, garlic, and dill, and sauté, stirring frequently until spinach is limp and the liquid that sweats out has boiled away. Set aside.Drain tofu, wrap in towel(s), and press out excess liquid. PLace in bowl and use whisk (or your hands) to mash it. Add spinach, lemon juice, oregano, nutmeg, walnuts, ¼ c olive oil, yeast, salt, and pepper and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings.Lay out a sheet of filo in the baking dish (it will overlap the sides). Brush with oil, lay another on top, brush with oil, and repeat for a total of 8 sheets.Spread half of the spinach mixture over the dough. Lay out another 8 sheets of filo as above. Spread the rest of the spinach on top, then lay out the rest of the filo.Brush the top with oil and tuck the edges of the filo sheets into the pan. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes, until golden-brown and crispy.What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.- Mark Twain

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

do you have any health food stores nearby? holland and barnes maybe (or whatever its called)...they might have nut. yeast.

i would think marmite might be to strong of a taste.....

do you have vegan parmassean cheese? that might work....

as for dill, dried will work fine

Peter VV Mar 15, 2008 8:49 AM Re: spanikopita

Hmmm,

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>vegan chat Friday, 14 March, 2008 10:21:41 PM spanikopita

here ya go peterIngredients½ cup olive oil + plus 2 tablespoons2 bunches fresh spinach, cleaned and de-stemmed 1 bunch of scallions/green onions, finely chopped3 cloves garlic, minced 1 cup fresh dill, chopped 2 pounds firm tofu 1/3 cup lemon juice 2 teaspoon dried oregano dash of nutmeg ¾ cup walnuts, ground ¼ cup nutritional yeast 1 teaspoon salt pepper to taste1 pound filo/phyllo pastry doughDirections Preheat oven to 375º. Heat 2 T oil, add spinach, green onion, garlic, and dill, and sauté, stirring frequently until spinach is limp and the liquid that sweats out has boiled away. Set aside.Drain tofu, wrap in towel(s), and press out excess liquid. PLace in bowl and use whisk (or your hands) to mash it. Add spinach, lemon juice, oregano, nutmeg, walnuts, ¼ c olive oil, yeast, salt, and pepper and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings.Lay out a sheet of filo in the baking dish (it will overlap the sides). Brush with oil, lay another on top, brush with oil, and repeat for a total of 8 sheets.Spread half of the spinach mixture over the dough. Lay out another 8 sheets of filo as above. Spread the rest of the spinach on top, then lay out the rest of the filo.Brush the top with oil and tuck the edges of the filo sheets into the pan. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes, until golden-brown and crispy.What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.- Mark Twain

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

Thanks for the compliment, I pride myself on being odd.

Thanks for clearing the cup thing up. My wife is making a recipe from Ina Garten(?) cookbook and its all in yank language, so its a help....:)

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Saturday, 15 March, 2008 9:29:07 PMRe: spanikopita

how odd

The cup currently used in the United States for nutrition labelling is defined in United States law[6] as 240 ml.[7][8]

1 U.S. "legal" cup

=

millilitres

=

=

Australian tablespoons

≈

≈

imperial fluid ounces

Peter VV Mar 15, 2008 8:49 AM @gro ups.com Re: spanikopita

Hmmm,

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>vegan chat <@gro ups.com>Friday, 14 March, 2008 10:21:41 PM spanikopita

here ya go peterIngredients½ cup olive oil + plus 2 tablespoons2 bunches fresh spinach, cleaned and de-stemmed 1 bunch of scallions/green onions, finely chopped3 cloves garlic, minced 1 cup fresh dill, chopped 2 pounds firm tofu 1/3 cup lemon juice 2 teaspoon dried oregano dash of nutmeg ¾ cup walnuts, ground ¼ cup nutritional yeast 1 teaspoon salt pepper to taste1 pound filo/phyllo pastry doughDirections Preheat oven to 375º. Heat 2 T oil, add spinach, green onion, garlic, and dill, and sauté, stirring frequently until spinach is limp and the liquid that sweats out has boiled away. Set aside.Drain tofu, wrap in towel(s), and press out excess liquid. PLace in bowl and use whisk (or your hands) to mash it. Add spinach, lemon juice, oregano, nutmeg, walnuts, ¼ c olive oil, yeast, salt, and pepper and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings.Lay out a sheet of

filo in the baking dish (it will overlap the sides). Brush with oil, lay another on top, brush with oil, and repeat for a total of 8 sheets.Spread half of the spinach mixture over the dough. Lay out another 8 sheets of filo as above. Spread the rest of the spinach on top, then lay out the rest of the filo.Brush the top with oil and tuck the edges of the filo sheets into the pan. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes, until golden-brown and crispy.What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.- Mark Twain

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

not our fault ya'll don't speak English

:)

Peter VV Mar 16, 2008 2:11 AM Re: spanikopita

Thanks for the compliment, I pride myself on being odd.

Thanks for clearing the cup thing up. My wife is making a recipe from Ina Garten(?) cookbook and its all in yank language, so its a help....:)

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Saturday, 15 March, 2008 9:29:07 PMRe: spanikopita

how odd

1 U.S. "legal" cup

=

millilitres

=

=

Australian tablespoons

≈

≈

imperial fluid ounces

Peter VV Mar 15, 2008 8:49 AM @gro ups.com Re: spanikopita

Hmmm,

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>vegan chat <@gro ups.com>Friday, 14 March, 2008 10:21:41 PM spanikopita

Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with for Good What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

oooooo good one

heh

yarrow Mar 16, 2008 11:01 AM Re: spanikopita

At 3:49 PM +0000 3/15/08, Peter VV wrote:

About half a punnet. :)

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

We always use lbs and ozs here - it seems much easier and more exact

to me than using 'cups'! When did you start using cups in America?

I love some of the America cookery books, but it is a pain having to

translate to lbs and ozs.

Jo

Re: spanikopita

you don't have " cup " as a measurement?

how odd

United States " legal " cup

The cup currently used in the United States for nutrition labelling

is defined in United States law[6] as 240 ml.[7][8]

1 U.S. " legal " cup = 240 millilitres

= 16 international tablespoons

= 12 Australian tablespoons

≈ 8.1154 U.S. customary fluid ounces

≈ 8.4468 imperial fluid ounces

Guest guest

back in elementary skool, we were told that the early european settlers didn't have weights and measures with em when they came over, but everyone had a cup, hence....

dunno how accurate that is, as never really gave it much thought.

my "cooking" background and knowledge is waaaaay limited. i was of that generation on the cusp. i had one half year of home ec. (they split one of my skool years, i think it was 7th grade, half we had home ec class, have we had wood shop), and that was it, my father only knew how to make TV dinners, fish sticks, and smelts, my step mother did all the cooking, and we didn't get along at all.

along the same lines, i never learned lbs and ounces, or the metric system. it seems at that age, they were all about switching over to the metric system, which they never did, but i was right on the cusp of it, so my teachers never taught me either....

at least we don't use "stone"! heh heh

heartwerk Mar 17, 2008 12:37 AM Re: spanikopita

Hi FraggleWe always use lbs and ozs here - it seems much easier and more exact to me than using 'cups'! When did you start using cups in America? I love some of the America cookery books, but it is a pain having to translate to lbs and ozs.JoRe: spanikopita you don't have "cup" as a measurement?how oddlearn something new everydayUnited States "legal" cup The cup currently used in the United States for nutrition labelling is defined in United States law[6] as 240 ml.[7][8] 1 U.S. "legal" cup = 240 millilitres = 16 international tablespoons = 12 Australian tablespoons ≈ 8.1154 U.S. customary fluid ounces ≈ 8.4468 imperial fluid ounces

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

I'm reasonably okay with most metric measures/weights, but do prefer ounces, pounds and stones :-) We changed in the UK in 1971.

Jo

-

fraggle

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:43 PM

Re: Re: spanikopita

back in elementary skool, we were told that the early european settlers didn't have weights and measures with em when they came over, but everyone had a cup, hence....

my "cooking" background and knowledge is waaaaay limited. i was of that generation on the cusp. i had one half year of home ec. (they split one of my skool years, i think it was 7th grade, half we had home ec class, have we had wood shop), and that was it, my father only knew how to make TV dinners, fish sticks, and smelts, my step mother did all the cooking, and we didn't get along at all.

along the same lines, i never learned lbs and ounces, or the metric system. it seems at that age, they were all about switching over to the metric system, which they never did, but i was right on the cusp of it, so my teachers never taught me either....

heartwerk Mar 17, 2008 12:37 AM Re: spanikopita

Hi FraggleWe always use lbs and ozs here - it seems much easier and more exact to me than using 'cups'! When did you start using cups in America? I love some of the America cookery books, but it is a pain having to translate to lbs and ozs.JoRe: spanikopita you don't have "cup" as a measurement?how oddlearn something new everydayUnited States "legal" cup The cup currently used in the United States for nutrition labelling is defined in United States law[6] as 240 ml.[7][8] 1 U.S. "legal" cup = 240 millilitres = 16 international tablespoons = 12 Australian tablespoons ≈ 8.1154 U.S. customary fluid ounces ≈ 8.4468 imperial fluid ounces

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

Me too, and pounds , shillings and pence!..:)

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Tuesday, 18 March, 2008 7:18:57 PMRe: Re: spanikopita

I'm reasonably okay with most metric measures/weights, but do prefer ounces, pounds and stones :-) We changed in the UK in 1971.

Jo

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

Monday, March 17, 2008 3:43 PM

Re: Re: spanikopita

heartwerk Mar 17, 2008 12:37 AM @gro ups.com Re: spanikopita

Hi FraggleWe always use lbs and ozs here - it seems much easier and more exact to me than using 'cups'! When did you start using cups in America? I love some of the America cookery books, but it is a pain having to translate to lbs and ozs.JoRe: spanikopita you don't have "cup" as a measurement?how oddlearn something new everydayUnited States "legal" cup The cup currently used in the United States for nutrition labelling is defined in United States law[6] as 240 ml.[7][8] 1 U.S. "legal" cup = 240 millilitres = 16 international tablespoons = 12 Australian tablespoons â 8.1154 U.S. customary fluid ounces â 8.4468 imperial fluid ounces What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

I'm fine with the money - after all, most decimal is much more simple.

Jo

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> Me too, and pounds , shillings and pence!..:)

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

> jo <jo.heartwork

>

> Tuesday, 18 March, 2008 7:18:57 PM

> Re: Re: spanikopita

>

> 

> I'm reasonably okay with most metric measures/weights, but do

prefer ounces, pounds and stones :-) We changed in the UK in 1971.

>

> Jo

>

> -

> fraggle

> @gro ups.com

> Monday, March 17, 2008 3:43 PM

> Re: Re: spanikopita

>

>

> back in elementary skool, we were told that the early european

settlers didn't have weights and measures with em when they came

over, but everyone had a cup, hence....

> dunno how accurate that is, as never really gave it much thought.

> my " cooking " background and knowledge is waaaaay limited. i was of

that generation on the cusp. i had one half year of home ec. (they

split one of my skool years, i think it was 7th grade, half we had

home ec class, have we had wood shop), and that was it, my father

only knew how to make TV dinners, fish sticks, and smelts, my step

mother did all the cooking, and we didn't get along at all.

> along the same lines, i never learned lbs and ounces, or the metric

system. it seems at that age, they were all about switching over to

the metric system, which they never did, but i was right on the cusp

of it, so my teachers never taught me either....

> at least we don't use " stone " ! heh heh

>

>

>

>

> heartwerk

> Mar 17, 2008 12:37 AM

> @gro ups.com

> Re: spanikopita

>

>

> Hi Fraggle

>

> We always use lbs and ozs here - it seems much easier and more

exact

> to me than using 'cups'! When did you start using cups in America?

> I love some of the America cookery books, but it is a pain having

to

> translate to lbs and ozs.

>

> Jo

>

> Re: spanikopita

>

> you don't have " cup " as a measurement?

>

> how odd

>

> learn something new everyday

>

> United States " legal " cup

> The cup currently used in the United States for nutrition labelling

> is defined in United States law[6] as 240 ml.[7][8]

> 1 U.S. " legal " cup = 240 millilitres

> = 16 international tablespoons

> = 12 Australian tablespoons

> â 8.1154 U.S. customary fluid ounces