2tbs white vinegar

150ml vegetable oil

150ml water

Combine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the vinegar,

vegetable oil and 100ml of water and mix thoroughly. The mixture

should have the consistency of a thick batter. You may need to add

the rest of the water. Place into a greased cake tin and bake for 15

minutes at 200 degrees Celsius. Check it is cooked by putting a knife

into the middle. It should come out clean.

Tip onto a cooling rack and make the marzipan. Roll out the marzipan

and cut out a large circle to fit on the top of the cake. You can

stick it to the cake with some apricot jam or just rest it on top.

Decorate with Easter chickens or marzipan eggs.

Guest guest

never heard of a simnel cake

a few weeks ago, rebecca and i were making salads, and i asked "s, what is the other name for these golden raisins, i can't remember.."

she just looked at me blankly, with the "what the ehck are you talking about look"

then about a week ago, we were sitting in a pub, and i blurted out "sultanas!"

and i got that blank expression again

oh, the things she put's up with

hahahahahahah

heartwerk Mar 17, 2008 12:45 AM Vegan Simnel Cake

50g white self-raising flour200g wholemeal self-raising flour1 tsp baking powder200g candied peel100g sultanas50g currants4tsp cinnamon2tbs white vinegar150ml vegetable oil150ml waterCombine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the vinegar, vegetable oil and 100ml of water and mix thoroughly. The mixture should have the consistency of a thick batter. You may need to add the rest of the water. Place into a greased cake tin and bake for 15 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius. Check it is cooked by putting a knife into the middle. It should come out clean.Tip onto a cooling rack and make the marzipan. Roll out the marzipan and cut out a large circle to fit on the top of the cake. You can stick it to the cake with some apricot jam or just rest it on top. Decorate with Easter chickens or marzipan eggs.

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

whats is the origins of this cake, I assume its something religious?

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Sent: Monday, 17 March, 2008 7:45:02 AM Vegan Simnel Cake

50g white self-raising flour200g wholemeal self-raising flour1 tsp baking powder200g candied peel100g sultanas50g currants4tsp cinnamon2tbs white vinegar150ml vegetable oil150ml waterCombine all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the vinegar, vegetable oil and 100ml of water and mix thoroughly. The mixture should have the consistency of a thick batter. You may need to add the rest of the water. Place into a greased cake tin and bake for 15 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius. Check it is cooked by putting a knife into the middle. It should come out clean.Tip onto a cooling rack and make the marzipan. Roll out the marzipan and cut out a large circle to fit on the top of the cake. You can stick it to the cake with some apricot jam or just rest it on top. Decorate with Easter chickens or marzipan eggs.

Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with for Good

Guest guest

Simnel cake

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Simnel cake

Simnel cake is a light fruit cake, similar to a Christmas cake, covered in marzipan, and eaten at Easter in England and Ireland. A layer of marzipan or almond paste is also baked into the middle of the cake. On the top of the cake, around the edge, are eleven marzipan balls to represent the true apostles of Jesus; Judas is omitted. In some variations Christ is also represented, by a ball placed at the centre.

The cake is made from these ingredients: white flour, sugar, butter, eggs, fragrant spices, dried fruits, zest and candied peel.

Simnel cakes have been known since mediaeval times, and were originally a Mothering Sunday tradition, when young girls in service would make one to be taken home to their mothers on their day off. The word simnel probably derived from the Latin word simila, meaning fine, wheaten flour with which the cakes were made. A popular legend, however, attributes the cake's creation to the English pretender Lambert Simnel, who according to legend devised it during the time in which he was forced to work in Henry VII's kitchens.

Different towns had their own recipes and shapes of the Simnel cake. Bury, Devizes and Shrewsbury produced large numbers to their own recipes, but it is the Shrewsbury version that became most popular and well known.

Peter VV Mar 17, 2008 2:04 PM Re: Vegan Simnel Cake

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork > Sent: Monday, 17 March, 2008 7:45:02 AM Vegan Simnel Cake

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

LOL - that's quite right. I love both raisins and saltanas, and also currants. A simnel cake is always associated with Easter, but I don't know the origin.

Jo

-

fraggle

Monday, March 17, 2008 4:02 PM

Re: Vegan Simnel Cake

never heard of a simnel cake

a few weeks ago, rebecca and i were making salads, and i asked "s, what is the other name for these golden raisins, i can't remember.."

she just looked at me blankly, with the "what the ehck are you talking about look"

then about a week ago, we were sitting in a pub, and i blurted out "sultanas!"

and i got that blank expression again

oh, the things she put's up with

hahahahahahah

heartwerk Mar 17, 2008 12:45 AM Vegan Simnel Cake

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

This is the Wikipedia explanation, which I thinkis right.

Simnel cake is a light fruit cake, similar to a Christmas cake, covered in marzipan, and eaten at Easter in England and Ireland. A layer of marzipan or almond paste is also baked into the middle of the cake. On the top of the cake, around the edge, are eleven marzipan balls to represent the true apostles of Jesus; Judas is omitted. In some variations Christ is also represented, by a ball placed at the centre.

The cake is made from these ingredients: white flour, sugar, butter, eggs, fragrant spices, dried fruits, zest and candied peel.

Simnel cakes have been known since mediaeval times, and were originally a Mothering Sunday tradition, when young girls in service would make one to be taken home to their mothers on their day off. The word simnel probably derived from the Latin word simila, meaning fine, wheaten flour with which the cakes were made. A popular legend, however, attributes the cake's creation to the English pretender Lambert Simnel, who according to legend devised it during the time in which he was forced to work in Henry VII's kitchens.

Different towns had their own recipes and shapes of the Simnel cake. Bury, Devizes and Shrewsbury produced large numbers to their own recipes, but it is the Shrewsbury version that became most popular and well known.

-

Peter VV

Monday, March 17, 2008 9:04 PM

Re: Vegan Simnel Cake

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork > Sent: Monday, 17 March, 2008 7:45:02 AM Vegan Simnel Cake