IndiaDivine.org

The Vegan Monologues

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

From Santa Barbara:

Thursday, March 20, 2008

By Aly Comingore (Contact)

For the past three years, I have chosen to give up something for Lent. With little to no religious upbringing, the challenge has been more about testing my willpower than anything else. Having mastered the art of going without chocolate in 2007 (and succeeding without so much as a craving), I decided 2008 was time for a real challenge: going vegan.

After spending a little more than a year playing hostess at one of Santa Barbara’s vegan/vegetarian hot spots, I figured the task would be a feasible one — if nothing else, I knew where to turn if I didn’t feel like cooking. Likewise, I always wanted to know what made our regular customers tick. Don’t get me wrong; I’m a huge advocate for animal rights (I’ve been more or less red-meat-free since my early teens), but I looked at my 40-day stretch more like a social experiment than a complete lifestyle overhaul.

For the uninitiated, the Vegan Society explains veganism as “a philosophy and way of living that seeks to exclude … all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose; and promotes animal-free alternatives. In dietary terms, it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals.†In layman’s terms: no meat, no dairy, no refined sugars, no honey, etc.

But aside from the meal planning, supplement taking, and general lack of comprehension from a large faction of the populace (read: my coworkers hate that I won’t eat their freshly baked cakes, my roommates grumble that we can’t make house dinners without a mind-numbing trip to the grocery store), I’ve found the task to be less than torturous. I feel healthy, moral, like I “get†why all those lentil-loving regulars cherish my workplace so much. Will it stick? Doubtful. But I’ve definitely opened my eyes to the option — and become much more conscious of stuff like the mistreatment of dairy cows. And as soon as the Powers That Be find a way to create milk-free ice cream that doesn’t taste like dirt, I may hop back on the vegan wagon

Peter H

Sent from Mail.

More Ways to Keep in Touch.

Guest guest

I've heard of The Vagina Monologues but not the Vegan ones.

Jo

-

llaci2003

Friday, March 21, 2008 5:53 PM

Re: The Vegan Monologues

The Vegan Monologuesonly in Santa Barbara :))

Guest guest

Someone on my alumni elist was complaining about all the smirking

on Disney sitcoms, and then I read this: " my roommates grumble

that we can't make house dinners without a mind-numbing trip to the

grocery store " and " And as soon as the Powers That Be find a

way to create milk-free ice cream that doesn't taste like

dirt "

And I realized I'm more or less used to (or not surprised by)

the smirking attitude whenever a nonvegan mentions how

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard it is to even think about trying to get all

those hard-to-get nutrients. (Not used to the smirking prez,

though.)

Now that Soy Dream is making a butter pecan frozen dessert, I've

had to stay away from that section of the store lest I outgrow all my

clothes. It's really good.

At 10:48 AM +0000 3/21/08, Peter VV wrote:

From Santa Barbara:

Thursday, March 20, 2008

By Aly

Comingore (Contact)

For the past three years, I have chosen to give up something for

Lent. With little to no religious upbringing, the challenge has been

more about testing my willpower than anything else. Having mastered

the art of going without chocolate in 2007 (and succeeding without so

much as a craving), I decided 2008 was time for a real challenge:

going vegan.

After spending a little more than a year playing hostess at one

of Santa Barbara's vegan/vegetarian hot spots, I figured the task

would be a feasible one - if nothing else, I knew where to turn if I

didn't feel like cooking. Likewise, I always wanted to know what

made our regular customers tick. Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge

advocate for animal rights (I've been more or less red-meat-free

since my early teens), but I looked at my 40-day stretch more like a

social experiment than a complete lifestyle overhaul.

For the uninitiated, the Vegan Society explains veganism as "a

philosophy and way of living that seeks to exclude Š all forms of

exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing, or any

other purpose; and promotes animal-free alternatives. In dietary

terms, it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived

wholly or partly from animals." In layman's terms: no meat, no

dairy, no refined sugars, no honey, etc.

But aside from the meal planning, supplement taking, and general

lack of comprehension from a large faction of the populace (read: my

coworkers hate that I won't eat their freshly baked cakes, my

roommates grumble that we can't make house dinners without a

mind-numbing trip to the grocery store), I've found the task to be

less than torturous. I feel healthy, moral, like I "get" why all

those lentil-loving regulars cherish my workplace so much. Will it

stick? Doubtful. But I've definitely opened my eyes to the option -

and become much more conscious of stuff like the mistreatment of dairy

cows. And as soon as the Powers That Be find a way to create milk-free

ice cream that doesn't taste like dirt, I may hop back on the vegan

wagon

Peter H

Sent from Mail.

Guest guest

Swedish Glace is delicious, and they now have a blueberry ice cream as well.

Jo

-

yarrow

Saturday, March 22, 2008 4:00 AM

Someone on my alumni elist was complaining about all the smirking on Disney sitcoms, and then I read this: "my roommates grumble that we can't make house dinners without a mind-numbing trip to the grocery store" and "And as soon as the Powers That Be find a way to create milk-free ice cream that doesn't taste like dirt"

And I realized I'm more or less used to (or not surprised by) the smirking attitude whenever a nonvegan mentions how haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard it is to even think about trying to get all those hard-to-get nutrients. (Not used to the smirking prez, though.)

Now that Soy Dream is making a butter pecan frozen dessert, I've had to stay away from that section of the store lest I outgrow all my clothes. It's really good.

From Santa Barbara:

Thursday, March 20, 2008

For the past three years, I have chosen to give up something for Lent. With little to no religious upbringing, the challenge has been more about testing my willpower than anything else. Having mastered the art of going without chocolate in 2007 (and succeeding without so much as a craving), I decided 2008 was time for a real challenge: going vegan.

After spending a little more than a year playing hostess at one of Santa Barbara's vegan/vegetarian hot spots, I figured the task would be a feasible one - if nothing else, I knew where to turn if I didn't feel like cooking. Likewise, I always wanted to know what made our regular customers tick. Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge advocate for animal rights (I've been more or less red-meat-free since my early teens), but I looked at my 40-day stretch more like a social experiment than a complete lifestyle overhaul.

For the uninitiated, the Vegan Society explains veganism as "a philosophy and way of living that seeks to exclude Š all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose; and promotes animal-free alternatives. In dietary terms, it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals." In layman's terms: no meat, no dairy, no refined sugars, no honey, etc.

But aside from the meal planning, supplement taking, and general lack of comprehension from a large faction of the populace (read: my coworkers hate that I won't eat their freshly baked cakes, my roommates grumble that we can't make house dinners without a mind-numbing trip to the grocery store), I've found the task to be less than torturous. I feel healthy, moral, like I "get" why all those lentil-loving regulars cherish my workplace so much. Will it stick? Doubtful. But I've definitely opened my eyes to the option - and become much more conscious of stuff like the mistreatment of dairy cows. And as soon as the Powers That Be find a way to create milk-free ice cream that doesn't taste like dirt, I may hop back on the vegan wagon

Peter H

Sent from Mail.More Ways to Keep in Touch.

Guest guest

you know, everyone else is right

i'ver decided i'm not going to do without any longer

why torture myself or deprive myself

i'm heading out right now to get myself a slave..and maybe drown a few pupies....

why hold back.........

yarrow Mar 21, 2008 9:00 PM Re: The Vegan Monologues

Someone on my alumni elist was complaining about all the smirking on Disney sitcoms, and then I read this: "my roommates grumble that we can't make house dinners without a mind-numbing trip to the grocery store" and "And as soon as the Powers That Be find a way to create milk-free ice cream that doesn't taste like dirt"

And I realized I'm more or less used to (or not surprised by) the smirking attitude whenever a nonvegan mentions how haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard it is to even think about trying to get all those hard-to-get nutrients. (Not used to the smirking prez, though.)

Now that Soy Dream is making a butter pecan frozen dessert, I've had to stay away from that section of the store lest I outgrow all my clothes. It's really good.

From Santa Barbara:

Thursday, March 20, 2008

After spending a little more than a year playing hostess at one of Santa Barbara's vegan/vegetarian hot spots, I figured the task would be a feasible one - if nothing else, I knew where to turn if I didn't feel like cooking. Likewise, I always wanted to know what made our regular customers tick. Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge advocate for animal rights (I've been more or less red-meat-free since my early teens), but I looked at my 40-day stretch more like a social experiment than a complete lifestyle overhaul.

For the uninitiated, the Vegan Society explains veganism as "a philosophy and way of living that seeks to exclude Š all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose; and promotes animal-free alternatives. In dietary terms, it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals." In layman's terms: no meat, no dairy, no refined sugars, no honey, etc.

But aside from the meal planning, supplement taking, and general lack of comprehension from a large faction of the populace (read: my coworkers hate that I won't eat their freshly baked cakes, my roommates grumble that we can't make house dinners without a mind-numbing trip to the grocery store), I've found the task to be less than torturous. I feel healthy, moral, like I "get" why all those lentil-loving regulars cherish my workplace so much. Will it stick? Doubtful. But I've definitely opened my eyes to the option - and become much more conscious of stuff like the mistreatment of dairy cows. And as soon as the Powers That Be find a way to create milk-free ice cream that doesn't taste like dirt, I may hop back on the vegan wagon

Peter H

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

Now you're talking.

Join the fold. Be normal. Lock step: one two three.

At 10:50 AM -0700 3/22/08, fraggle wrote:

you know, everyone else is right

i'ver decided i'm not going to do without any longer

why torture myself or deprive myself

i'm heading out right now to get myself a slave..and maybe drown

a few pupies....

why hold back.........

yarrow

Mar 21, 2008 9:00 PM

Someone on my alumni elist was complaining about all the smirking

on Disney sitcoms, and then I read this: " my roommates grumble

that we can't make house dinners without a mind-numbing trip to the

grocery store " and " And as soon as the Powers That Be find a

way to create milk-free ice cream that doesn't taste like

dirt "

And I realized I'm more or less used to (or not surprised by)

the smirking attitude whenever a nonvegan mentions how

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard it is to even think about trying to get all

those hard-to-get nutrients. (Not used to the smirking prez,

though.)

Now that Soy Dream is making a butter pecan frozen dessert, I've

had to stay away from that section of the store lest I outgrow all my

clothes. It's really good.

From Santa Barbara:

Thursday, March 20, 2008

By Aly

Comingore (Contact)

For the past three years, I have chosen to give up something for

Lent. With little to no religious upbringing, the challenge has been

more about testing my willpower than anything else. Having mastered

the art of going without chocolate in 2007 (and succeeding without so

much as a craving), I decided 2008 was time for a real challenge:

going vegan.

After spending a little more than a year playing hostess at one

of Santa Barbara's vegan/vegetarian hot spots, I figured the task

would be a feasible one - if nothing else, I knew where to turn if I

didn't feel like cooking. Likewise, I always wanted to know what made

our regular customers tick. Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge advocate

for animal rights (I've been more or less red-meat-free since my early

teens), but I looked at my 40-day stretch more like a social

experiment than a complete lifestyle overhaul.

For the uninitiated, the Vegan Society explains veganism as

" a philosophy and way of living that seeks to exclude ? all forms

of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing, or any

other purpose; and promotes animal-free alternatives. In dietary

terms, it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived

wholly or partly from animals. " In layman's terms: no meat, no

dairy, no refined sugars, no honey, etc.

But aside from the meal planning, supplement taking, and general

lack of comprehension from a large faction of the populace (read: my

coworkers hate that I won't eat their freshly baked cakes, my

roommates grumble that we can't make house dinners without a

mind-numbing trip to the grocery store), I've found the task to be

less than torturous. I feel healthy, moral, like I " get " why

all those lentil-loving regulars cherish my workplace so much. Will it

stick? Doubtful. But I've definitely opened my eyes to the option -

and become much more conscious of stuff like the mistreatment of dairy

cows. And as soon as the Powers That Be find a way to create milk-free

ice cream that doesn't taste like dirt, I may hop back on the vegan

wagon

Peter H

Sent from Mail.

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know

for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

and aneopolitan ( 3 flavours in one ), bought some on the weekend, cant wait to try it!

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Saturday, 22 March, 2008 4:53:29 PMRe: The Vegan Monologues

Jo

-

yarrow

@gro ups.com

And I realized I'm more or less used to (or not surprised by) the smirking attitude whenever a nonvegan mentions how haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ard it is to even think about trying to get all those hard-to-get nutrients. (Not used to the smirking prez, though.)

From Santa Barbara:

Thursday, March 20, 2008

For the uninitiated, the Vegan Society explains veganism as "a philosophy and way of living that seeks to exclude Å  all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose; and promotes animal-free alternatives. In dietary terms, it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals." In layman's terms: no meat, no dairy, no refined sugars, no honey, etc.

Peter H

Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with for Good

Guest guest

I will try them out - when we've finished what we have in the freezer.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Monday, March 24, 2008 2:08 PM

and aneopolitan ( 3 flavours in one ), bought some on the weekend, cant wait to try it!

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Saturday, 22 March, 2008 4:53:29 PMRe: The Vegan Monologues

Jo

-

yarrow

@gro ups.com

And I realized I'm more or less used to (or not surprised by) the smirking attitude whenever a nonvegan mentions how haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ard it is to even think about trying to get all those hard-to-get nutrients. (Not used to the smirking prez, though.)

From Santa Barbara:

Thursday, March 20, 2008

For the uninitiated, the Vegan Society explains veganism as "a philosophy and way of living that seeks to exclude Å  all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing, or any other purpose; and promotes animal-free alternatives. In dietary terms, it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals." In layman's terms: no meat, no dairy, no refined sugars, no honey, etc.

Peter H

Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with for Good