IndiaDivine.org

Vegan ravioli makes the most of cashew filling

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Donna Gray, For NeighboursPublished: Thursday, March 20, 2008

Veganism has always been a fascinating subject for me. My first exposure to this particular epicurean lifestyle came from a colleague, Natalie Robertson, a Calgary-born graphic designer, who worked with me at an ad agency in Regina several years ago. Brilliant, politically aware, witty, and sensitive to animals and the environment, she elevated my knowledge about veganism and what it stood for.

When I asked her to define vegan, she deftly explained that it meant avoiding eating anything with a mother or a face. That was simple to grasp -- no dairy, meat or fish. It was a departure from her upbringing, though, which included meat-filled dishes and traditions, but she was steadfast.

She would also take time to explain some of the distasteful truths about food processing and why it was important to eat as fresh and local as possible. She even went as far as to barbecue her tofu dogs on foil so as not to touch the grill.

View Larger Image Giant ravioli stuffed with walnuts and cashews.

Courtesy, Whitecap Books

As strange as it seemed at the time, it actually made sense, and I was impressed by her convictions, especially since she married a meat lover. Eventually, staff events began to include more vegan and vegetarian-friendly items, which my fellow carnivores happily gobbled up and appreciated.

To celebrate all things vegan and as a tribute to Natalie for opening up my mind to a great food adventure, I'm featuring profile a fantastic ravioli dish and ginger cookie recipe. They hail from the new cookbook, V Cuisine, The Art of New Vegan Cooking by Angeline Linardis. I love the writing, the extra tidbits of information and tips on cooking and finding fresh ingredients.

Giant Ravioli Stuffed with Walnuts and Cashews

Ravioli:

3 cups (750 mL) whole wheat flour

1 cup (250 mL) water

1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt

2 cups (500 mL) Nutmeat (see recipe below)

Walnut and Cashew Nutmeat:

1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil

1 large onion, finely chopped

1 whole bulb garlic, finely chopped

3 cups (750 mL) mushrooms, sliced, then chopped

3 cups (750 ml) spinach leaves, coarsely chopped (or frozen, thawed and well-drained)

1 cup (250 mL) walnuts, coarsely chopped

1 cup (250 mL) cashews, coarsely chopped

2 tbsp (30 mL) dark mushroom soy sauce

Salt and pepper to taste

Additional seasonings such as oregano, basil, sage, ground cumin (optional)

For the ravioli, combine the ravioli ingredients in a bowl, using two cups of flour. Keeping your hands well-floured, knead the dough lightly. Continue to knead and add flour until it has enough body to hold up. It should have some elasticity and not be too sticky. Wrap in plastic and chill until needed.

For the walnut and cashew nutmeat, add the olive oil in a hot pan and saute the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent.

Add the mushrooms and saute. Remove the pan from heat, stir in spinach and set aside. In a completely dry pan, toast the walnuts on medium high for one to two minutes or until aromatic, shaking the pan consistently. Set the walnuts aside, add the cashews to the hot pan and cover them with water.

Cook uncovered on medium heat until the water evaporates. Remove from the heat and combine with the onion/mushroom mixture. Add the dark soy sauce, combine well, then taste. Add salt, pepper and any dry seasonings if desired.

To assemble, when making any kind of pasta, nothing can go too far astray, so don't worry. The only thing with ravioli is keeping in the filling. And if it falls out, it's not the end of the world. It's only ravioli. Roll about 1/4 of the dough at a time on a floured board, adding flour as needed.

Although some pastas are meant to be paper-thin, with ravioli that isn't necessary. If it doesn't fall apart when you try to lift it, you're ready. Cut into six-inch (15 cm) strips. Spoon the nutmeat on one side of the strip, about 1.5 inches (4 cm) across. Do this every two inches (5 cm) or so. Lightly lift the edge of what will be each ravioli.

Have a bowl of water ready. Use your fingers to "paint" the water where the ravioli will connect -- it's your glue. Then carefully fold them over and gently press the dough down, attempting to do so from the middle out, so that the air will escape (this makes them less likely to break).

Cut the ravioli with a sharp knife or a pizza cutter and seal the edges with the tines of a fork or your fingers. Set them on a well-floured surface or a floured piece of parchment.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and add the ravioli. They're done when they float to the top. Remove, strain them and gently place them in the sauce of your choice.

Gingerellas

9 tbsp (135 mL) flaxseeds

1/2 cup (125 mL) soy milk

3/4 (175 mL) cup olive oil

2 cups (500 mL) dark brown sugar

1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract

1 cup (250 mL) crushed almonds

2 tbsp (30 mL) wheat germ or oat bran

1/2 cup (125 mL) crushed pecans or walnuts

1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt

3 tbsp (45 mL) powdered ginger

1 1/4 cup (310 mL) whole wheat flour

Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Blend the flaxseeds and the soy milk together in a bowl with an upright or hand blender until you get a grayish flax "butter."

Add the olive oil, brown sugar, and vanilla and mix well.

Add the remaining ingredients, except for the flour, and combine.

Then add the flour. I like to add the flour in slowly -- it's easier.

Prepare a cookie sheet (lightly oiled or lined with parchment). Spoon onto the cookie sheet, leaving one inch (2.5 cm) or so between cookies.

Flatten a little if you want. Bake in a preheated 350 F (180 C) oven for about 20 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes -- they'll harden up.

Got a recipe to share or a request for a special dish? E-mail me at recipebox or fax to 235-7379 and mark Attention: Recipe Box. Include your name, address, phone number and e-mail in the information. You can also snail mail it to Recipe Box, Calgary Herald Neighbours, Box 2400, Station M, Calgary, Alberta, T2P 0W8.

© The Calgary Herald 2008

Peter H

Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with for Good