IndiaDivine.org

Paul O'Connell

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hmmmmm, has a nice turn of phrase when discribing his customers doesnt he?

Chef Paul O'Connell may have an Irish name, but he's made everything from spicy Southern food at East Coast Grill to Tuscan Italian at Olives, and he currently cooks Cuban-French food at his Cambridge restaurant, Chez Henri. He takes a lot of shit for it, apparently.

So do people ever get you confused with the Irish rugby superstar Paul O'Connell?

When I went to Ireland, his name was splashed all over the front page of the newspaper. The first day I was there, the headlines were something like "Paul O'Connell saves the world!" I thought, wow, they must be glad I'm here."

So you've worked with all sorts of Boston food superstars. If you were an Irish rugby superstar and had to draft one of them for your team, who would you pick? English. He's the most athletic of the bunch. And he has a big head, like me. You don't have helmets in rugby, so you'd need a big, thick head.

You also dabble in vegan food. I've been wanting to try your vegan prix fixe meal for weeks now.

Yeah, I like to make things that even a non-vegetarian would want to eat. A Boston vegan group just came in a little while ago to try it. Fucking assholes. The first thing one of them asks is "Is this food vegetarian?" Assholes. The meal was vegan! But the leader called later and apologized, and told me they weren't challenging me—that it's just a knee-jerk thing for vegans to ask.

Yeah, vegans are an anxious bunch.

[Chez Henri, 1 Shepard St., Cambridge. 617.354.8980. chezhenri.com]

Peter H

Sent from Mail.

More Ways to Keep in Touch.