Guest guest

so, as the daylight hours march on, and i assume most everyone has left winter

behind, how are folks gardens doing?

here...finished with the spinach, harvested the last of it the other day, and

cut the rest down..not a good year at all for it, spindly plants that did come

up, no idea why...

lettuce..only have a bronze red lettuce left....prolly need to start thinking

about replacing that as well...

mustards and rapini going to town, took over one of the raised beds entirely...

bok choy and joi choi in the same boat, got so much i'm giving it to the front

neighbor....

basil..have three varieties right now, hope to be able to start harvesting in

about 10 days....

collards...have half bed full of it, tho, it's looking a lil spindly as well...

peas, started reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal late with em, so just tossed em in next to the

tomatoes...now i'm hoping the tomatoes can out compete em! they took off, and

now are i'm in danger of em burying the mater cages

(poor caged maters!)

beans (4 different) are doing ok...nuthing special yet, waiting for them to take

off, but we haven't had much hot weather yet

melons, zuchinni and cumcumbers are going reaaaaaaaaaaaaaal slow...barely

growing at all, especially the cucumbers, might be time to get a tea going for

them...

garlic is doing great, and have been harvesting em fer awhile now

:)

i think that's it for the edibles more er less, not including the herbs...

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure

that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

Sounds great, very jealous.......

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunxvegan chat Wednesday, 7 May, 2008 8:46:29 PM how does your garden grow

so, as the daylight hours march on, and i assume most everyone has left winter behind, how are folks gardens doing?here...finished with the spinach, harvested the last of it the other day, and cut the rest down..not a good year at all for it, spindly plants that did come up, no idea why...lettuce..only have a bronze red lettuce left....prolly need to start thinking about replacing that as well...mustards and rapini going to town, took over one of the raised beds entirely...bok choy and joi choi in the same boat, got so much i'm giving it to the front neighbor....basil..have three varieties right now, hope to be able to start harvesting in about 10 days....collards...have half bed full of it, tho, it's looking a lil spindly as well...peas, started reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal late with em, so just tossed em in next to the tomatoes...now i'm hoping the tomatoes can out compete em! they took off, and now are

i'm in danger of em burying the mater cages(poor caged maters!)beans (4 different) are doing ok...nuthing special yet, waiting for them to take off, but we haven't had much hot weather yetmelons, zuchinni and cumcumbers are going reaaaaaaaaaaaaaal slow...barely growing at all, especially the cucumbers, might be time to get a tea going for them...garlic is doing great, and have been harvesting em fer awhile now:)i think that's it for the edibles more er less, not including the herbs...What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.- Mark Twain

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

how are the blue berries?

saw several varieties of bushes for sale at the local farmers market, but, alas, we have noooo room to plant em

so, had to pass

Peter VV May 7, 2008 11:59 AM Re: how does your garden grow

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>vegan chat Wednesday, 7 May, 2008 8:46:29 PM how does your garden grow

so, as the daylight hours march on, and i assume most everyone has left winter behind, how are folks gardens doing?here...finished with the spinach, harvested the last of it the other day, and cut the rest down..not a good year at all for it, spindly plants that did come up, no idea why...lettuce..only have a bronze red lettuce left....prolly need to start thinking about replacing that as well...mustards and rapini going to town, took over one of the raised beds entirely...bok choy and joi choi in the same boat, got so much i'm giving it to the front neighbor....basil..have three varieties right now, hope to be able to start harvesting in about 10 days....collards...have half bed full of it, tho, it's looking a lil spindly as well...peas, started reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal late with em, so just tossed em in next to the tomatoes...now i'm hoping the tomatoes can out compete em! they took off, and now are i'm in danger of em burying the mater cages(poor caged maters!)beans (4 different) are doing ok...nuthing special yet, waiting for them to take off, but we haven't had much hot weather yetmelons, zuchinni and cumcumbers are going reaaaaaaaaaaaaaal slow...barely growing at all, especially the cucumbers, might be time to get a tea going for them...garlic is doing great, and have been harvesting em fer awhile now:)i think that's it for the edibles more er less, not including the herbs...What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.- Mark Twain

Sent from Mail. A Smarter Email.

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

You lucky Californians!!! Our weather is not suitable for growing all the time. We may still get frosts for another few weeks. Indoors, I have started off some beans, tomatoes and peppers. I need to repot my herbs this year, and plant out a bay tree so will do that any day now - that's it as far as veggies go in my garden.

Jo

-

fraggle

vegan chat

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 8:46 PM

how does your garden grow

so, as the daylight hours march on, and i assume most everyone has left winter behind, how are folks gardens doing?here...finished with the spinach, harvested the last of it the other day, and cut the rest down..not a good year at all for it, spindly plants that did come up, no idea why...lettuce..only have a bronze red lettuce left....prolly need to start thinking about replacing that as well...mustards and rapini going to town, took over one of the raised beds entirely...bok choy and joi choi in the same boat, got so much i'm giving it to the front neighbor....basil..have three varieties right now, hope to be able to start harvesting in about 10 days....collards...have half bed full of it, tho, it's looking a lil spindly as well...peas, started reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal late with em, so just tossed em in next to the tomatoes...now i'm hoping the tomatoes can out compete em! they took off, and now are i'm in danger of em burying the mater cages(poor caged maters!)beans (4 different) are doing ok...nuthing special yet, waiting for them to take off, but we haven't had much hot weather yetmelons, zuchinni and cumcumbers are going reaaaaaaaaaaaaaal slow...barely growing at all, especially the cucumbers, might be time to get a tea going for them...garlic is doing great, and have been harvesting em fer awhile now:)i think that's it for the edibles more er less, not including the herbs...What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.- Mark Twain

Guest guest

me too

Jo

-

Peter VV

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 8:59 PM

Re: how does your garden grow

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>vegan chat Wednesday, 7 May, 2008 8:46:29 PM how does your garden grow

Guest guest

time to build a cold frame

jo May 7, 2008 11:30 PM Re: how does your garden grow

Hi Fraggle

You lucky Californians!!! Our weather is not suitable for growing all the time. We may still get frosts for another few weeks. Indoors, I have started off some beans, tomatoes and peppers. I need to repot my herbs this year, and plant out a bay tree so will do that any day now - that's it as far as veggies go in my garden.

Jo

-

fraggle

vegan chat

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 8:46 PM

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

Havent you a big pot? they do grow ok in pots. Mine is a little slow this year, but now we have had crap weather before the last week or two, its surprising the difference the higher temperatures make.

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Thursday, 8 May, 2008 12:14:55 AMRe: how does your garden grow

saw several varieties of bushes for sale at the local farmers market, but, alas, we have noooo room to plant em

so, had to pass

Peter VV May 7, 2008 11:59 AM @gro ups.com Re: how does your garden grow

Sounds great, very jealous..... ..

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>vegan chat <@gro ups.com>Wednesday, 7 May, 2008 8:46:29 PM how does your garden grow

so, as the daylight hours march on, and i assume most everyone has left winter behind, how are folks gardens doing?here...finished with the spinach, harvested the last of it the other day, and cut the rest down..not a good year at all for it, spindly plants that did come up, no idea why...lettuce..only have a bronze red lettuce left....prolly need to start thinking about replacing that as well...mustards and rapini going to town, took over one of the raised beds entirely...bok choy and joi choi in the same boat, got so much i'm giving it to the front neighbor....basil..have three varieties right now, hope to be able to start harvesting in about 10 days....collards...have half bed full of it, tho, it's looking a lil spindly as well...peas, started reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal late with em, so just tossed em in next to the tomatoes...now i'm hoping the tomatoes can out compete em! they took off, and now are

i'm in danger of em burying the mater cages(poor caged maters!)beans (4 different) are doing ok...nuthing special yet, waiting for them to take off, but we haven't had much hot weather yetmelons, zuchinni and cumcumbers are going reaaaaaaaaaaaaaal slow...barely growing at all, especially the cucumbers, might be time to get a tea going for them...garlic is doing great, and have been harvesting em fer awhile now:)i think that's it for the edibles more er less, not including the herbs...What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.- Mark Twain

- Mark Twain

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

i've had horrid luck with containers the last couple years

Peter VV May 8, 2008 11:56 AM Re: how does your garden grow

Havent you a big pot? they do grow ok in pots. Mine is a little slow this year, but now we have had crap weather before the last week or two, its surprising the difference the higher temperatures make.

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Thursday, 8 May, 2008 12:14:55 AMRe: how does your garden grow

so, had to pass

Peter VV May 7, 2008 11:59 AM @gro ups.com Re: how does your garden grow

Sounds great, very jealous..... ..

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>vegan chat <@gro ups.com>Wednesday, 7 May, 2008 8:46:29 PM how does your garden grow

Sent from Mail. A Smarter Email. What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

We used to have a cold frame, but still had to wait for the right

weather for anything to really get going! Our winters don't seem to

be so long now, so might be worth another try.

Jo

Guest guest

shorter winters...hmmm

harbingers of what is to come?

here, they are talking 90's by mid-late week...

maters are starting to fruit...can't wait, tho, thinking of pulling the fruit and flowers off some of the smaller plants, don't think they are ready yet

heartwerk May 11, 2008 10:37 PM Re: how does your garden grow

Hi FraggleWe used to have a cold frame, but still had to wait for the right weather for anything to really get going! Our winters don't seem to be so long now, so might be worth another try.Jo

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

Lucky you you must live in a nice climate, I couldn't even imagine having a harvest at this time in the season, ok maybe I could imagine it.--- On Wed, 5/7/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx how does your garden grow"vegan chat" Wednesday, May 7, 2008, 7:46 PM

Guest guest

lucky fer us, we can harvest something all year long...

Angelo Dicks May 17, 2008 2:38 PM Cc: angelod119 Re: how does your garden grow

Lucky you you must live in a nice climate, I couldn't even imagine having a harvest at this time in the season, ok maybe I could imagine it.--- On Wed, 5/7/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> how does your garden grow"vegan chat" Wednesday, May 7, 2008, 7:46 PM

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

We get about three or four months for harvesting, plus a few winter veggies if we're extremely lucky.

Jo

-

fraggle

Monday, May 19, 2008 1:46 AM

Angelo Dicks May 17, 2008 2:38 PM Cc: angelod119 (AT) Hotmail (DOT) com Re: how does your garden grow

Lucky you you must live in a nice climate, I couldn't even imagine having a harvest at this time in the season, ok maybe I could imagine it.--- On Wed, 5/7/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> how does your garden grow"vegan chat" Wednesday, May 7, 2008, 7:46 PM

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

Here in the land of year-round gardening, in the past week I've

picked artichokes, carrots, onions, kale, strawberries, borage

flowers, kohlrabi, parsley, peas, and mint. The thornless blackberry I

planted last year has beautiful flowers and is full of fruit this

year! Also looking forward to raspberries. One of the blueberry plants

is showing some life.

More than a dozen tomato plants are in the ground, and a dozen

more awaiting a place to plant. Squash and cucumber plants survived

the heat wave, as did the baby arugula plants. Potato plants are huge!

Can't wait to see if the fingerlings made it - - I planted a variety

last fall, a few more in the early spring, and also a bunch of red

potatoes.

At 5:42 PM +0100 5/19/08, jo wrote:

?

We get about three or four months for harvesting, plus a few

winter veggies if we're extremely lucky.

Jo

-

fraggle

Angelo Dicks

May 17, 2008 2:38 PM

Cc: angelod119

Lucky you you must live in a nice climate, I couldn't even

imagine having a harvest at this time in the season, ok maybe I could

imagine it.

--- On Wed, 5/7/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx

wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx

" vegan chat "

Wednesday, May 7, 2008, 7:46 PM

so, as the daylight hours march on, and i assume most everyone

has left winter behind, how are folks gardens doing?

here...finished with the spinach, harvested the last of it the other

day, and cut the rest down..not a good year at all for it, spindly

plants that did come up, no idea why...

lettuce..only have a bronze red lettuce left....prolly need to start

thinking about replacing that as well...

mustards and rapini going to town, took over one of the raised beds

entirely...

bok choy and joi choi in the same boat, got so much i'm giving it to

the front neighbor....

basil..have three varieties right now, hope to be able to start

harvesting in about 10 days....

collards...have half bed full of it, tho, it's looking a lil spindly

as well...

peas, started reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal late with em, so just tossed em in

next to the tomatoes...now i'm hoping the tomatoes can out compete em!

they took off, and now are i'm in danger of em burying the mater

cages

(poor caged maters!)

beans (4 different) are doing ok...nuthing special yet, waiting for

them to take off, but we haven't had much hot weather yet

melons, zuchinni and cumcumbers are going reaaaaaaaaaaaaaal

slow...barely growing at all, especially the cucumbers, might be time

to get a tea going for them...

garlic is doing great, and have been harvesting em fer awhile now

i think that's it for the edibles more er less, not including the

herbs...

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know

for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know

for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

the nasturtiums dropped their blossoms in the heat wave last week...odd, never seen that before....

and, the few remaining lettuce plants i hadn't harvested went bitter in a day...

tomatoes are setting fruit..yay!

yarrow May 19, 2008 11:25 AM Re: how does your garden grow

Here in the land of year-round gardening, in the past week I've picked artichokes, carrots, onions, kale, strawberries, borage flowers, kohlrabi, parsley, peas, and mint. The thornless blackberry I planted last year has beautiful flowers and is full of fruit this year! Also looking forward to raspberries. One of the blueberry plants is showing some life.

More than a dozen tomato plants are in the ground, and a dozen more awaiting a place to plant. Squash and cucumber plants survived the heat wave, as did the baby arugula plants. Potato plants are huge! Can't wait to see if the fingerlings made it - - I planted a variety last fall, a few more in the early spring, and also a bunch of red potatoes.

At 5:42 PM +0100 5/19/08, jo wrote:

?

We get about three or four months for harvesting, plus a few winter veggies if we're extremely lucky.

Jo

-

fraggle

Angelo DicksMay 17, 2008 2:38 PM Cc: angelod119 (AT) Hotmail (DOT) comSubject: Re: how does your garden grow

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.- Mark Twain

- Mark Twain