IndiaDivine.org

DR WHO NEWS - SORRY FOLKS

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Doctor Who guru Davies steps down

Russell T Davies oversaw the 21st Century relaunch of Doctor Who

Russell T Davies is to step down as executive producer of Doctor Who, the BBC has announced. Davies is credited with breathing new life into the show which he brought back to television screens in 2005. Bafta-winning writer Steven Moffat will succeed Davies as lead writer and executive producer of the fifth series of Doctor Who. Moffat said that the whole of his career had been "a secret plan to get this job".

DAVIES' CAREER HIGHLIGHTS

Children's Ward (1993-1995)

Touching Evil (1997)

Queer As Folk (1999)

Casanova (2005)

Doctor Who (2005-2008)

Torchwood (2006-2008)BBC Fiction controller Jane Tranter said the past four series of Doctor Who had been "brilliantly helmed" by the "spectacularly talented" Davies. "As lead writer and executive producer, he has overseen the creative direction and detail of the 21st century re-launch of Doctor Who and we are delighted to have his continued presence on the specials over the next 18 months," she added. Davies will remain in charge of four specials to be shown in 2009. The fifth series, with Moffat at the helm, is scheduled to be broadcast on BBC One in Spring 2010. Moffat has already written some of the most memorable Doctor Who episodes of recent times, including The Girl in the Fireplace and The Empty Child.

MOFFAT'S CAREER HIGHLIGHTS

Press Gang (1989)

Coupling (2000)

Jekyll (2007)

Doctor Who (2005 onwards )

Tintin (2008 onwards)

Earlier this month, he picked up the best writer Bafta for the Blink episode of series three which featured terrifying weeping angels. Moffat said: "I applied before but I got knocked back 'cos the BBC wanted someone else. Also I was seven. "Anyway, I'm glad the BBC has finally seen the light and it's a huge honour to be following Russell into the best - and the toughest - job in television. "I say toughest 'cos Russell's at my window right now, pointing and laughing." Doctor Who's return after a 16-year break from the screen received praise from critics and fans alike. Speaking after the first series of the revamped show in 2005 - which starred Christopher Eccleston as the Time Lord - Davies said Doctor Who had been in desperate need of regeneration.

Russell T Davies on the cult of Doctorr Who

"I love Doctor Who and I love the old Doctor Who," he said. "But, even with all that love, you have to admit that the name of the programme had become a joke and its reputation had become a cheap joke at that - you know, rubber monsters and shaky sets."

I applied before but I got knocked back 'cos the BBC wanted someone else. Also I was seven

Steven Moffat

He added: "It's been everything we planned and more, and it's very rarely in life you get the chance to have that happen." The programme, complete with time machine the Tardis, originally ran from 1963 to 1989. In that time, the lead role was played by eight different actors with writers taken advantage of the Doctor's ability to regenerate his body. Eccleston and current Time Lord David Tennant take that number to 10.

Peter H

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

Apparently StevenMoffat wrote the episode 'Blink' which I thought was really good and scary. Let's hope the series is good. Also, we may be able to have episodes without the obligatory kiss, or irrelevant gay content.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 9:26 PM

Re: Re: DR WHO NEWS - SORRY FOLKS

Russell T Davies is to step down as executive producer of Doctor Who, the BBC has announced. Davies is credited with breathing new life into the show which he brought back to television screens in 2005. Bafta-winning writer Steven Moffat will succeed Davies as lead writer and executive producer of the fifth series of Doctor Who. Moffat said that the whole of his career had been "a secret plan to get this job".

Touching Evil (1997)

Queer As Folk (1999)

Casanova (2005)

Doctor Who (2005-2008)

Torchwood (2006-2008)BBC Fiction controller Jane Tranter said the past four series of Doctor Who had been "brilliantly helmed" by the "spectacularly talented" Davies. "As lead writer and executive producer, he has overseen the creative direction and detail of the 21st century re-launch of Doctor Who and we are delighted to have his continued presence on the specials over the next 18 months," she added. Davies will remain in charge of four specials to be shown in 2009. The fifth series, with Moffat at the helm, is scheduled to be broadcast on BBC One in Spring 2010. Moffat has already written some of the most memorable Doctor Who episodes of recent times, including The Girl in the Fireplace and The Empty Child.

Press Gang (1989)

Coupling (2000)

Jekyll (2007)

Tintin (2008 onwards)

Earlier this month, he picked up the best writer Bafta for the Blink episode of series three which featured terrifying weeping angels. Moffat said: "I applied before but I got knocked back 'cos the BBC wanted someone else. Also I was seven. "Anyway, I'm glad the BBC has finally seen the light and it's a huge honour to be following Russell into the best - and the toughest - job in television. "I say toughest 'cos Russell's at my window right now, pointing and laughing." Doctor Who's return after a 16-year break from the screen received praise from critics and fans alike. Speaking after the first series of the revamped show in 2005 - which starred Christopher Eccleston as the Time Lord - Davies said Doctor Who had been in desperate need of regeneration.

"I love Doctor Who and I love the old Doctor Who," he said. "But, even with all that love, you have to admit that the name of the programme had become a joke and its reputation had become a cheap joke at that - you know, rubber monsters and shaky sets."

I applied before but I got knocked back 'cos the BBC wanted someone else. Also I was seven

Steven Moffat

He added: "It's been everything we planned and more, and it's very rarely in life you get the chance to have that happen." The programme, complete with time machine the Tardis, originally ran from 1963 to 1989. In that time, the lead role was played by eight different actors with writers taken advantage of the Doctor's ability to regenerate his body. Eccleston and current Time Lord David Tennant take that number to 10.

Peter H

Sent from Mail. A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

I agree, he does seem to like to push the gay thing a lot ( even more in Torchwood ).

He also wrote the Angels one which I thought was good too, in fact he seems to have writen the best episodes.

I may say also that in my opinion, the current companion is ten times better than the last one, a much better actor , and charector.

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Tuesday, 20 May, 2008 11:25:33 PMRe: Re: DR WHO NEWS - SORRY FOLKS

Apparently StevenMoffat wrote the episode 'Blink' which I thought was really good and scary. Let's hope the series is good. Also, we may be able to have episodes without the obligatory kiss, or irrelevant gay content.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Touching Evil (1997)

Queer As Folk (1999)

Casanova (2005)

Doctor Who (2005-2008)

Press Gang (1989)

Coupling (2000)

Jekyll (2007)

Tintin (2008 onwards)

Steven Moffat

Peter H

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

I agree about the companion. When theysaid Catherine Tate would bein Doctor Who I was very wary - but she is excellent.

JO

-

Peter VV

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 11:31 PM

I agree, he does seem to like to push the gay thing a lot ( even more in Torchwood ).

He also wrote the Angels one which I thought was good too, in fact he seems to have writen the best episodes.

I may say also that in my opinion, the current companion is ten times better than the last one, a much better actor , and charector.

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Tuesday, 20 May, 2008 11:25:33 PMRe: Re: DR WHO NEWS - SORRY FOLKS

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Touching Evil (1997)

Queer As Folk (1999)

Casanova (2005)

Doctor Who (2005-2008)

Press Gang (1989)

Coupling (2000)

Jekyll (2007)

Tintin (2008 onwards)

Steven Moffat

Peter H

Guest guest

Hi Peter

Why sorry.... Moffatt has written pretty much all of the very best episodes of the last 4 series (Blink, Girl In The Fireplace). Whereas RTD, while admittedly being the person who actually brought Dr Who back, has generally written the very worst episodes (Boom Town, Smith & Jones, Love & Monsters). I'd say this is the best news we've had since they announced it was coming back.

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Touching Evil (1997)

Queer As Folk (1999)

Casanova (2005)

Doctor Who (2005-2008)

Press Gang (1989)

Coupling (2000)

Jekyll (2007)

Tintin (2008 onwards)

Steven Moffat

Peter H

Guest guest

I agree, the sorry was for all those vegans out there who dont want to hear about DR Who!

Peter H

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Wednesday, 21 May, 2008 9:38:26 AMRe: Re: DR WHO NEWS - SORRY FOLKS

Hi Peter

Why sorry.... Moffatt has written pretty much all of the very best episodes of the last 4 series (Blink, Girl In The Fireplace). Whereas RTD, while admittedly being the person who actually brought Dr Who back, has generally written the very worst episodes (Boom Town, Smith & Jones, Love & Monsters). I'd say this is the best news we've had since they announced it was coming back.

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Touching Evil (1997)

Queer As Folk (1999)

Casanova (2005)

Doctor Who (2005-2008)

Press Gang (1989)

Coupling (2000)

Jekyll (2007)

Tintin (2008 onwards)

Steven Moffat

Peter H

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

i for one am used to it!

heh heh

if only a certain someone was still in the group, i'm sure you'd go on for another 3-4 days about it

:)

fraggle

Peter VV May 21, 2008 3:54 PM Re: Re: DR WHO NEWS - SORRY FOLKS

I agree, the sorry was for all those vegans out there who dont want to hear about DR Who!

Peter H

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Wednesday, 21 May, 2008 9:38:26 AMRe: Re: DR WHO NEWS - SORRY FOLKS

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Touching Evil (1997)

Queer As Folk (1999)

Casanova (2005)

Doctor Who (2005-2008)

Press Gang (1989)

Coupling (2000)

Jekyll (2007)

Tintin (2008 onwards)

Steven Moffat

Peter H

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

Hi Peter

Fair enough... but this is slightly disturbing... we actually agree about something Dr Who related!!!! :-)

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 8:54 PM

Peter H

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Wednesday, 21 May, 2008 9:38:26 AMRe: Re: DR WHO NEWS - SORRY FOLKS

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Touching Evil (1997)

Queer As Folk (1999)

Casanova (2005)

Doctor Who (2005-2008)

Press Gang (1989)

Coupling (2000)

Jekyll (2007)

Tintin (2008 onwards)

Steven Moffat

Peter H

Guest guest

As long as I still disturb you, then the status quo is intact!

Peter H

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Wednesday, 21 May, 2008 10:27:39 PMRe: Re: DR WHO NEWS - SORRY FOLKS

Hi Peter

Fair enough... but this is slightly disturbing.. . we actually agree about something Dr Who related!!!! :-)

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comWednesday, 21 May, 2008 9:38:26 AMRe: Re: DR WHO NEWS - SORRY FOLKS

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Touching Evil (1997)

Queer As Folk (1999)

Casanova (2005)

Doctor Who (2005-2008)

Press Gang (1989)

Coupling (2000)

Jekyll (2007)

Tintin (2008 onwards)

Steven Moffat

Peter H

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

What's even more disturbing is that all three of us agree :-) !!!

Jo

-

Peter

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:27 PM

Hi Peter

Fair enough... but this is slightly disturbing... we actually agree about something Dr Who related!!!! :-)

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter H

Peter <metalscarab > Sent: Wednesday, 21 May, 2008 9:38:26 AMRe: Re: DR WHO NEWS - SORRY FOLKS

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Touching Evil (1997)

Queer As Folk (1999)

Casanova (2005)

Doctor Who (2005-2008)

Press Gang (1989)

Coupling (2000)

Jekyll (2007)

Tintin (2008 onwards)

Steven Moffat

Peter H

Guest guest

Since I my self to in my youth was a fan of docter who though not so sure now except in holding in memory the fondness for the show, is it safe to assume that vegans also like the Benny Hill show Carol Bernet and Mammas family as well.

Angelo--- On Wed, 5/21/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

Peter VV <swpgh01Re: Re: DR WHO NEWS - SORRY FOLKS Date: Wednesday, May 21, 2008, 7:54 PM

Peter H

Peter <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comWednesday, 21 May, 2008 9:38:26 AMRe: Re: DR WHO NEWS - SORRY FOLKS

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Touching Evil (1997)

Queer As Folk (1999)

Casanova (2005)

Doctor Who (2005-2008)

Press Gang (1989)

Coupling (2000)

Jekyll (2007)

Tintin (2008 onwards)

Steven Moffat

Peter H