IndiaDivine.org

Picnic time!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

And for vegans, it's a meatless picnic. But meatless does not mean flavorless.

By ELIZA SCHMIDT / Pulse Correspondent ()

(Eliza Schmidt/Pulse Correspondent)

With summer coming up, it's time to start planning for humid weather, gnats and of course, picnics. So I thought I'd share how my family tackles the last part in a cruelty-free way. (I'm not sure even we know how we're going to cope with the rest.)

I've been vegan my whole life, meaning that I've never intentionally eaten meat, fish, eggs, honey or milk. Also, I don't buy leather, silk or wool. But that's enough about me. You're here for the food, right?

"What's on the menu?" you may ask.

Well, whether or not you asked, I'm going to tell you.

The appetizer is watermelon.

For main courses, we'll have Aunt Sue's famous potato salad, Brett's vegan baked beans and Boca burgers and Smartdogs, both meat-free grilling products.

Dessert is chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting.

Many grocery stores carry the vegan products you'll need for the picnic, such as Boca Burgers, vegan mayo and watermelon.

The cupcakes I made are from "Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World." That cookbook, and some other resources, are listed below.

If you want to try going vegan, whether you're doing it for a day, a week, a month or a year, be sure to do plenty of research. You need to make sure you get enough nutrition.

Resources:

www.vegan.com

www.veganoutreach.com

www.fatfreevegan.com

Cookbooks:

"Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero

"Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz

"Student's Go Vegan Cookbook: Over 135 Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegan Recipes" by Carole Raymond

Brett's vegan baked beans

3 28-ounce cans of vegetarian baked beans (we use Bush's)1/2 cup molasses1 tablespoon dry mustard2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke

Drain the beans, but do not rinse. Stir all ingredients together in an oven-safe casserole. Bake at 250 degrees for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.

Aunt Sue's famous potato salad

6 medium potatoes, whole2/3 cup Veganaise or other vegan mayonnaise2 teaspoons mustardpinch of salt3 stalks celery, chopped1 medium onion, chopped

Boil the potatoes in enough water to cover. Cook until fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from water, allow to cool. Then peel and cut into 1-inch dice.

Mix the vegan mayo, mustard and salt together in a large bowl. Add the potatoes along with chopped celery and onion. Fold together until well mixed. Chill. This salad is especially good the day after it's made.

Peter H

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

since monday was memorial day here, went over a friend's house for a BBQ...

and, although they had slabs of dead animals, they were nice enough to have a "virgin" grill for the two vegans there (and a couple veggies)...

sun broke thru the marine layer just in time to enjoy the grilled potabello

:)

Peter VV May 28, 2008 7:42 AM Re: Re: Picnic time!

With summer coming up, it's time to start planning for humid weather, gnats and of course, picnics. So I thought I'd share how my family tackles the last part in a cruelty-free way. (I'm not sure even we know how we're going to cope with the rest.)

I've been vegan my whole life, meaning that I've never intentionally eaten meat, fish, eggs, honey or milk. Also, I don't buy leather, silk or wool. But that's enough about me. You're here for the food, right?

For main courses, we'll have Aunt Sue's famous potato salad, Brett's vegan baked beans and Boca burgers and Smartdogs, both meat-free grilling products.

Many grocery stores carry the vegan products you'll need for the picnic, such as Boca Burgers, vegan mayo and watermelon.

The cupcakes I made are from "Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World." That cookbook, and some other resources, are listed below.

If you want to try going vegan, whether you're doing it for a day, a week, a month or a year, be sure to do plenty of research. You need to make sure you get enough nutrition.

Resources:

www.vegan.com

www.veganoutreach.com

www.fatfreevegan.com

Cookbooks:

"Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero

"Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz

"Student's Go Vegan Cookbook: Over 135 Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegan Recipes" by Carole Raymond

3 28-ounce cans of vegetarian baked beans (we use Bush's)1/2 cup molasses1 tablespoon dry mustard2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke

Drain the beans, but do not rinse. Stir all ingredients together in an oven-safe casserole. Bake at 250 degrees for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.

6 medium potatoes, whole2/3 cup Veganaise or other vegan mayonnaise2 teaspoons mustardpinch of salt3 stalks celery, chopped1 medium onion, chopped

Boil the potatoes in enough water to cover. Cook until fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from water, allow to cool. Then peel and cut into 1-inch dice.

Mix the vegan mayo, mustard and salt together in a large bowl. Add the potatoes along with chopped celery and onion. Fold together until well mixed. Chill. This salad is especially good the day after it's made.

Peter H

Sent from Mail. A Smarter Email.

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

Glad you had a good time and the weather was kind.

We had thunder and lightning last night, and fierce rainstorms - today it has been raining on and off, and thick cloud all day, but it is not cold.

Jo

-

fraggle

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 6:04 PM

Re: Re: Picnic time!

and, although they had slabs of dead animals, they were nice enough to have a "virgin" grill for the two vegans there (and a couple veggies)...

Peter VV May 28, 2008 7:42 AM Re: Re: Picnic time!

Resources:

www.vegan.com

www.veganoutreach.com

www.fatfreevegan.com

Cookbooks:

Peter H

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Guest guest

Hmmmmmmm, rub it in why dont you, weather has been real crap here, wet and windy, kids driving me out of my mind as they are stuck in doors with me this week, I will almost be glad to go back to work next week...........almost......

hope you enjoyed the shrooms in the sun.............

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008 6:04:24 PMRe: Re: Picnic time!

Peter VV May 28, 2008 7:42 AM @gro ups.com Re: Re: Picnic time!

Resources:

www.vegan.com

www.veganoutreach. com

www.fatfreevegan. com

Cookbooks:

Peter H

- Mark Twain

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.