IndiaDivine.org

Mugs Coffee adds vegan, gluten-free menu items ( Colorado?)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

For those with gluten allergies or special dietary needs, picking up a quick bite can prove difficult.

Mugs Coffee Lounge, 261 S. College Ave., in Old Town is trying to change that by expanding options for Fort Collins residents who are vegans or have celiac disease.

Those allergic to gluten, which is found in wheat, barley and rye, produce antibodies that attack the lining of the bowel and cause a deficiency in food nutrient and vitamin absorption. According to the Celiac Sprue Association, one in 133 people have celiac disease.

"Basically, I just thought in downtown Fort Collins there's not a lot of options for those diets," Mugs owner McCabe Callahan said.

"It makes it really tough for people who can't go to restaurants with friends because they can't eat the food."

The new menus feature 10 different vegan options and 18 gluten-free items.

But the special gluten-free items do come at a $2 price increase, a price Callahan said people with the allergy are used to.

"If you buy a loaf of gluten-free bread, you can pay $8, so (customers) understand," he said.

Restaurants are picking up on gluten and other food allergies.

Beau Jo's now offers special pizza shells from a gluten-free bakery, and Noodles and Company offers rice noodles for those with gluten allergies.

Callahan has already seen a positive response. If in six to 12 months there is still demand, he'll add more items to the menus.

In your voice

Read reactions to this story Newest first Oldest first

jjmontgomery wrote:

Tried Mugs' new miso-vegan salad this past weekend with my daughter --delicious. Mugs has always had great food and some of the friendliestservice in town. I'm impressed with how the owners are continuallytrying new things, trying to improve, and being conscious about how theydo business (e.g. compostable containers, etc.).6/5/2008 10:31:18 AM Tried Mugs' new miso-vegan salad this past weekend with my daughter --<br />delicious. Mugs has always had great food and some of the friendliest<br />service in town. I'm impressed with how the owners are continually<br />trying new things, trying to improve, and being conscious about how they<br />do business (e.g. compostable containers, etc.). jjmontgomery

Recommend

New post

Reply to this Post

Report Abuse

Jaserine wrote:

Where are they buying an $8 loaf of bread? I buy mine at Whole Foods and it costs about $6 and that's one of the more expensive brands. Gluten Free food prep in a restaurant setting that also offers gluten requires a lot more handling knowledge about cross contamination. This is generally part of the increase is cost for restaurants. Not just higher cost ingredients.Also you should really contact Noodles and Company about their gluten policies...they are not as Gluten Free friendly as you believe.-Toni

Peter vv

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.