IndiaDivine.org

Work Woes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi all-New to the list and a new vegan (well about a month into this new lifestyle after almost 20 years of being ovo/lacto). I am wondering how all of you deal with the whole eating at work thing.. for example when your office orders Pizza, or the company pays for you to eat a a decent restaurant with a set menu (none of which is vegan or even remotely vegetarian friendly)?

Only asking because this past week I had to endure not one but three instances of all of the above. Two restaurants (Where I was offered a nice, PLAIN green salad both times) and today Pizza (I had a co-worker even ask if a plain cheese pizza would be ok for me, yes she is aware of my vegan change even!).

Be wonderFULLManda

Guest guest

greetings and welcome manda

as for work , well, when i was employed i always lucked out in that they almost always went out of their way to find vegan fare..

when i worked at PGW, they always made sure they had vegan pizza's when they brought em in, if we ever had a "social" (or old monthly parties) they always had vegan dishes...

other jobs where we went out for dinner with the company, they always made sure their was something on the menu (besides ice burg lettuce) on the place they picked...

so, it's rarely been much of an issue

i guess i would say that when things like this are in the offing, quietly enquire with the person ordering/running it and ask if you could help, then you can make sure you get food

:)

cheers

fraggle

manda Jun 13, 2008 11:58 AM Work Woes

Hi all-New to the list and a new vegan (well about a month into this new lifestyle after almost 20 years of being ovo/lacto). I am wondering how all of you deal with the whole eating at work thing.. for example when your office orders Pizza, or the company pays for you to eat a a decent restaurant with a set menu (none of which is vegan or even remotely vegetarian friendly)? Only asking because this past week I had to endure not one but three instances of all of the above. Two restaurants (Where I was offered a nice, PLAIN green salad both times) and today Pizza (I had a co-worker even ask if a plain cheese pizza would be ok for me, yes she is aware of my vegan change even!).Be wonderFULLManda

“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Guest guest

It's never easy. I try to get to the person ordering and order a vegetarian pizza with sauce, no cheese and veggie toppings. At a restaurant, salad, pasta and fruit, or an extra glass of water. Try to find out ahead of time which restaurant you are eating at and call ahead to give them advance notice. Most can and will accomodate you.manda <manda wrote: Hi all-New to the list and a new vegan (well about a month into this new lifestyle after almost 20 years of being ovo/lacto). I am

wondering how all of you deal with the whole eating at work thing.. for example when your office orders Pizza, or the company pays for you to eat a a decent restaurant with a set menu (none of which is vegan or even remotely vegetarian friendly)? Only asking because this past week I had to endure not one but three instances of all of the above. Two restaurants (Where I was offered a nice, PLAIN green salad both times) and today Pizza (I had a co-worker even ask if a plain cheese pizza would be ok for me, yes she is aware of my vegan change even!).Be wonderFULLMandaLife may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Guest guest

I've actually been really surprised with how accomodating the girls in the office have been looking for a restaurant where I can eat. I've found the trick is to balance between finding somewhere you can eat something decent and eating something simpler so they don't associate " vegan " with " impossible to please " . That said, if at the next meal I have a salad and someone wants to split the bill evenly I would put my foot down as I'm not paying for their three-course meat. I think they'd understand that, though.

GayaOn Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 10:21 PM, lei subigone <subigone wrote:

It's never easy. I try to get to the person ordering and order a vegetarian pizza with sauce, no cheese and veggie toppings. At a restaurant, salad, pasta and fruit, or an extra glass of water. Try to find out ahead of time which restaurant you are eating at and call ahead to give them advance notice. Most can and will accomodate you.

manda <manda wrote: Hi all-

New to the list and a new vegan (well about a month into this new lifestyle after almost 20 years of being ovo/lacto). I am

wondering how all of you deal with the whole eating at work thing.. for example when your office orders Pizza, or the company pays for you to eat a a decent restaurant with a set menu (none of which is vegan or even remotely vegetarian friendly)?

Only asking because this past week I had to endure not one but three instances of all of the above. Two restaurants (Where I was offered a nice, PLAIN green salad both times) and today Pizza (I had a co-worker even ask if a plain cheese pizza would be ok for me, yes she is aware of my vegan change even!).

Be wonderFULLMandaLife may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Guest guest

Hi Manda

When our office books a dinner I usually phone the restaurant/pub beforehand and ask them if they can supply me with a vegan meal. About half the time they oblige and I end up with a nice meal. If they can't, I don't go. If there is a buffet I usually take vegan stuff (luckily there are loads of veggies in my office).

Jo

-

manda

Friday, June 13, 2008 8:58 PM

Work Woes

Hi all-New to the list and a new vegan (well about a month into this new lifestyle after almost 20 years of being ovo/lacto). I am wondering how all of you deal with the whole eating at work thing.. for example when your office orders Pizza, or the company pays for you to eat a a decent restaurant with a set menu (none of which is vegan or even remotely vegetarian friendly)? Only asking because this past week I had to endure not one but three instances of all of the above. Two restaurants (Where I was offered a nice, PLAIN green salad both times) and today Pizza (I had a co-worker even ask if a plain cheese pizza would be ok for me, yes she is aware of my vegan change even!).Be wonderFULLManda

Guest guest

Hi,

First of all, which country are you in? I can only think of one pizza chain in the uk where the bases are vegan, and they will let you take your own vegan "cheese" in for them to use on it.

Eating out is a minefield in the UK unless you do some homework first about the place you are going, and ring ahead to ask questions.

Peter vv

manda <manda Sent: Friday, 13 June, 2008 8:58:14 PM Work Woes

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

Domino's is vegan and I think there is another too. I know at Dominoes they do a nice vegan topping too.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Saturday, June 14, 2008 3:14 PM

Re: Work Woes

Hi,

First of all, which country are you in? I can only think of one pizza chain in the uk where the bases are vegan, and they will let you take your own vegan "cheese" in for them to use on it.

Eating out is a minefield in the UK unless you do some homework first about the place you are going, and ring ahead to ask questions.

Peter vv

manda <manda (AT) goodallgood (DOT) com> Sent: Friday, 13 June, 2008 8:58:14 PM Work Woes

Sent from Mail. A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

I was under the impression that Dominos was NOT vegan???, only Pizza Express had vegan bases , and would let you take your own "cheese" in to have on it?

Hmmmm, calls for some research....maybe an e-mail to the vegan society.

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Saturday, 14 June, 2008 5:00:33 PMRe: Work Woes

Domino's is vegan and I think there is another too. I know at Dominoes they do a nice vegan topping too.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Hi,

Peter vv

manda <manda (AT) goodallgood (DOT) com>@gro ups.comFriday, 13 June, 2008 8:58:14 PM Work Woes

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

Just had a quick look at dominos web site, no mention of a vegan topping, as they all have cheese, and therefore contain milk?

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Saturday, 14 June, 2008 5:00:33 PMRe: Work Woes

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Hi,

Peter vv

manda <manda (AT) goodallgood (DOT) com>@gro ups.comFriday, 13 June, 2008 8:58:14 PM Work Woes

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

You ask for them without cheese - fairly simple really!

Jo

-

Peter VV

Saturday, June 14, 2008 8:12 PM

Just had a quick look at dominos web site, no mention of a vegan topping, as they all have cheese, and therefore contain milk?

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Saturday, 14 June, 2008 5:00:33 PMRe: Work Woes

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Hi,

Peter vv

Guest guest

dominos the fast food pizza place?

ugh

didn't realize they had those in the UK as well...

over here, their crusts contain whey, and mono+ di glycerides.

personally, i thought they made the worse pizza's ever (the only one worse was a shakey's i had in new mexico when i was like 7...), and i've been boycotting em for years, even before i went veg....

are their crusts vegan over there?

jo Jun 14, 2008 9:00 AM Re: Work Woes

Jo

-

Peter VV

Hi,

Peter vv

manda <manda (AT) goodallgood (DOT) com> Sent: Friday, 13 June, 2008 8:58:14 PM Work Woes

“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Guest guest

Hi PeterPizza Express, Dominos, and Zizzis all do vegan bases, so you just have to ask for a vegetarian pizza without the cheese and they're fine.BBPeter2008/6/14 Peter VV <swpgh01:

Hi,

First of all, which country are you in? I can only think of one pizza chain in the uk where the bases are vegan, and they will let you take your own vegan " cheese " in for them to use on it.

Peter vv

manda <manda

Sent: Friday, 13 June, 2008 8:58:14 PM Work Woes

Hi all-New to the list and a new vegan (well about a month into this new lifestyle after almost 20 years of being ovo/lacto). I am wondering how all of you deal with the whole eating at work thing.. for example when your office orders Pizza, or the company pays for you to eat a a decent restaurant with a set menu (none of which is vegan or even remotely vegetarian friendly)?

Be wonderFULLManda

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

Hi FraggleI checked with Domios about 4 years ago (in the UK, obviously), and they were very clear that their bases contained no animal products. I haven't tried an American Dominos, but I know people from America who have had English ones, and told me that they taste completely different!

BBPeter2008/6/15 fraggle <EBbrewpunx:

dominos the fast food pizza place?

ugh

didn't realize they had those in the UK as well...

over here, their crusts contain whey, and mono+ di glycerides.

personally, i thought they made the worse pizza's ever (the only one worse was a shakey's i had in new mexico when i was like 7...), and i've been boycotting em for years, even before i went veg....

are their crusts vegan over there?

jo Jun 14, 2008 9:00 AM

Jo

-

Peter VV

Hi,

First of all, which country are you in? I can only think of one pizza chain in the uk where the bases are vegan, and they will let you take your own vegan " cheese " in for them to use on it.

Peter vv

manda <manda

Sent: Friday, 13 June, 2008 8:58:14 PM Work Woes

Be wonderFULLManda

"We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out." - Bill Moyers

Guest guest

Hi, In australia the pizza bases have milk solids in them. Its very annoying!Ange-- " One person flying in an airplane for one hour is responsible for the same greenhouse gas emissions as a typical Bangladeshi in a whole year. " - Beatrice Schell, European Federation for Transport and Environment, November 2001.

Guest guest

This is from Papa John's Pizza. I found these on

the FAQ list. You would just have to ask for the right thing to make a

vegan pizza! I don't know if Papa John's is all over the US or just in

the Southeast.

Do your products contain eggs?

Eggs

are present in our garlic ranch sauce, Wings and the breading on our

Chickenstrips.

The following Dipping Sauces also contain eggs: Honey Mustard, Cheese,

Ranch,

Blue Cheese.

Do your menu items contain milk or milk

products?

The following items used at Papa John’s contain milk or milk products:

thin

crust, cheese, garlic ranch sauce, Alfredo sauce, spinach Alfredo

sauce,

garlic Parmesan sauce, crisp topping used on Sweetreats, Parmesan

cheese

packet, and our Blue Cheese, Ranch and Cheese Dipping Sauces.

Does your dough contain animal fats?

NO. Only soybean oil.

Does your sauce contain animal fats?

No. Only a blend of vegetable and extra virgin olive oils.

Does your cheese contain animal derived

enzymes?

NO. It is a biosynthesized enzyme. (chymax)

Are there animal fats in your dough or sauce?

No. Our dough contains soybean oil, and our pizza sauce contains a

blend

of either sunflower or canola oil with extra virgin olive oil.

Do any of your products contain

animal-derived enzymes?

A majority of our products contain biosynthesized and/or

vegetable-derived

enzymes. However, our pan crust and the cheese blend used on our Tuscan

Six

Cheese pizza contain animal-derived enzymes. Our pizza dough contains

fungal

or bacterial derivatives. Our garlic sauce contains lactic acid, which

is

not classified as an animal derivative because it has been fermented.

Does your garlic sauce contain animal

derivatives?

NO. Our garlic sauce contains lactic acid, but this is not classified

as an animal derivative because it has been fermented.

--Chanda in Mt. Airy, GA