IndiaDivine.org

Becoming vegan AGAIN

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello there! I've just joined this group to hopefully get some support and inspiration for becoming vegan once again. Last time I was, was about 6 years ago. I've been vegetarian for 13 years now (5 of which were vegan years). Those were the healthiest years of my life and I am trying to find inspiration to get back to veganism. It's been hard to stay away from cheese, honestly. That is the one thing as a vegan that I felt was not up to par with the real thing. I am hoping something has changed since then. If anyone knows of a good vegan cheese, let me know! I am looking for some good, healthy vegan recipes that are easy as well. I am starting my own business and find that most of the time to get a quick meal, I make a veggie burger (which is getting dull!)Thanks to all for suggestions! I feel that I need to make this transition soon, I just need the extra push this time. Lorraine Bryda /// Art DirectorHatch Studios /// http://hatch-studios.com

Guest guest

Pastas with pesto or tomato sauce are always very quick and easy to prepare. You could always do stirfrys with tofu or nuts or beans for protein. A lentil hotpot would take 30 minutes. I think you just have to resign yourself to the fact that there isn't a vegan cheese that tastes like cheese - probably best to go without. My husband didn't want to give up cheese really, but it gives him bad migraines, so he had to. He got used to it.

Jo

-

lorraine bryda

Monday, June 16, 2008 2:40 PM

Becoming vegan AGAIN

Hello there! I've just joined this group to hopefully get some support and inspiration for becoming vegan once again. Last time I was, was about 6 years ago.

I've been vegetarian for 13 years now (5 of which were vegan years). Those were the healthiest years of my life and I am trying to find inspiration to get back to veganism. It's been hard to stay away from cheese, honestly. That is the one thing as a vegan that I felt was not up to par with the real thing. I am hoping something has changed since then.

If anyone knows of a good vegan cheese, let me know!

I am looking for some good, healthy vegan recipes that are easy as well. I am starting my own business and find that most of the time to get a quick meal, I make a veggie burger (which is getting dull!)

Thanks to all for suggestions! I feel that I need to make this transition soon, I just need the extra push this time.

Lorraine Bryda /// Art Director

Hatch Studios /// http://hatch-studios.com

Guest guest

Hi Lorraine , and welcome.

Wish I could help you on the cheese (scheese?) front, but I never liked cheese!

Peter vv

lorraine bryda <lbryda Sent: Monday, 16 June, 2008 2:40:44 PM Becoming vegan AGAIN

Hello there! I've just joined this group to hopefully get some support and inspiration for becoming vegan once again. Last time I was, was about 6 years ago.

I've been vegetarian for 13 years now (5 of which were vegan years). Those were the healthiest years of my life and I am trying to find inspiration to get back to veganism. It's been hard to stay away from cheese, honestly. That is the one thing as a vegan that I felt was not up to par with the real thing. I am hoping something has changed since then.

I am looking for some good, healthy vegan recipes that are easy as well. I am starting my own business and find that most of the time to get a quick meal, I make a veggie burger (which is getting dull!)

Thanks to all for suggestions! I feel that I need to make this transition soon, I just need the extra push this time.

Hatch Studios /// http://hatch- studios.com

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

welcome and greetings lorraine

and of course, welcome back to the light

hahahahahah

as for vegan cheese, where do you reside, as we have folks from all over on here, and it might be easier if we knew where you where!

cheers

fraggle

lorraine bryda Jun 16, 2008 5:40 AM Becoming vegan AGAIN

“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Guest guest

as for quick, we do pasta...a nice capelini maybe, with fresh tomato sauce, some sauteed tof, garlic, basil, etc.

rice dishes can be pretty dang quick as well, then you can have any number of toppings, stir fry, coconut milk and basil, etc and so forth

jo Jun 16, 2008 8:58 AM Re: Becoming vegan AGAIN

Pastas with pesto or tomato sauce are always very quick and easy to prepare. You could always do stirfrys with tofu or nuts or beans for protein. A lentil hotpot would take 30 minutes. I think you just have to resign yourself to the fact that there isn't a vegan cheese that tastes like cheese - probably best to go without. My husband didn't want to give up cheese really, but it gives him bad migraines, so he had to. He got used to it.

Jo

-

lorraine bryda

Becoming vegan AGAIN

“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Guest guest

Hi, My name is Heather, I've been vegan for about a year and have been experimenting with raw foods. I recently made a ricotta style cheese from 3/4C macadamia nuts, 1/2C sunflower seeds, lemon, agave, and salt. soak all the nuts and seeds for about 8 hours, rinse and put in blender or food processor, add 1tsp salt (or to taste), juice of 1 small lemon or 1/2 big lemon, blend until smooth. If you leave it this way it will taste much like sour cream. (very tasty on tacos) If you want a less sour taste add agave to taste. This should resemble the look and taste of ricotta cheese. I use the won ton wrappers sold in the produce section and fill with cheese, use cornstarch to seal, and fold over. once you

have them all wrapped, lay them single layer on mesh rack to dry out. I used my dehydrator so it was fast but if you don't have one just lay out on plate then turn after top side dries. after drying you can freeze or boil for great ravioli. There are a bunch of ways you can use this cheese but this is definitely my favorite. Also my omnivore husband loves this and he had a hard time believing it wasn't dairy!!jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 11:58:10 AMRe: Becoming vegan AGAIN

Jo

-

lorraine bryda

@gro ups.com

Becoming vegan AGAIN

Guest guest

one day i really need to get a dehydrator.

figure it has to come in handy.

can't freeze everything we want to keep

Heather Farlow Jun 16, 2008 8:54 PM Re: Becoming vegan AGAIN

Hi, My name is Heather, I've been vegan for about a year and have been experimenting with raw foods. I recently made a ricotta style cheese from 3/4C macadamia nuts, 1/2C sunflower seeds, lemon, agave, and salt. soak all the nuts and seeds for about 8 hours, rinse and put in blender or food processor, add 1tsp salt (or to taste), juice of 1 small lemon or 1/2 big lemon, blend until smooth. If you leave it this way it will taste much like sour cream. (very tasty on tacos) If you want a less sour taste add agave to taste. This should resemble the look and taste of ricotta cheese. I use the won ton wrappers sold in the produce section and fill with cheese, use cornstarch to seal, and fold over. once you have them all wrapped, lay them single layer on mesh rack to dry out. I used my dehydrator so it was fast but if you don't have one just lay out on plate then turn after top side dries. after drying you can freeze or boil for great ravioli. There are a bunch of ways you can use this cheese but this is definitely my favorite. Also my omnivore husband loves this and he had a hard time believing it wasn't dairy!!

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 11:58:10 AMRe: Becoming vegan AGAIN

Jo

-

lorraine bryda

@gro ups.com

Becoming vegan AGAIN

Guest guest

Thanks for all the suggestions! Unfortunately...I am allergic to nuts! A very bad thing for a vegan! I can eat soynuts...and sesame/sunflower seeds. Anything else is a no-no. I did, however, Learn from Martha Stewart, a way to make pesto with Pumpkin seeds instead of pine nuts! I can feel my inspiration returning. FYI-I am in North Texas (from NJ, if anyone needs any good restaurant refs up there...I've got em!) and lived in Boston 7 yrs.Thanks all!Lorraine 

Guest guest

ouch...allergic to nuts

well, there are still beans, seeds and all that, full of protein, calcium, and loads of vitamins in that respect

lbryda Jun 17, 2008 12:20 PM RE: Becoming vegan AGAIN

Thanks for all the suggestions! Unfortunately...I am allergic to nuts! A very bad thing for a vegan! I can eat soynuts...and sesame/sunflower seeds. Anything else is a no-no. I did, however, Learn from Martha Stewart, a way to make pesto with Pumpkin seeds instead of pine nuts! I can feel my inspiration returning. FYI-I am in North Texas (from NJ, if anyone needs any good restaurant refs up there...I've got em!) and lived in Boston 7 yrs.

Thanks all!Lorraine