IndiaDivine.org

Vegans For Vacca, With An Eye Toward 'Leadership'

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

A reader forwarded an e-mail invite for an upcoming "garden party and vegan BBQ" being hosted this weekend by League of Humane Voters of NYC Executive Director John Phillips in honor of Councilman Jimmy Vacca.

Here's the most interesting line:

"I’m throwing this fundraiser for Jimmy because I want to see him in a leadership position in 2010, when the next Council arrives at City Hall, and he needs our help. Please join me in celebrating Jimmy’s accomplishments!"

Vacca is one of the 15 Council members who aren't term-limited out of office in 2009.

About half of those who will be sticking around have been mentioned at one time or another as possible speaker contenders. The names that pop up most often are: Inez Dickens and Daniel Garodnick, who make up the first tier, and Jessica Lappin, Vacca and Vincent Gentile in the second.

Also angling for the speakership is a likely Council newcomer, Assemblyman Mike Gianaris. Assemblyman Herman "Denny" Farrell Jr. was once considered a contender, but he took his name out of the running not long ago and is now seen as likely to back Dickens.

In the e-mail, which appears in full after the jump, Phillips calls Vacca "one of my favorite Council members" and touts his efforts on behalf of animal protection, including co-sponsorship of the so-called "pets in housing" bill and a dog tethering ban.

Dear Friend, You’re invited! Please join me on Saturday, June 21 for a very special East Village garden party & vegan BBQ in honor of my friend, City Council Member Jimmy Vacca. Jimmy was elected to the City Council in 2005 and has since become one of the most outspoken members when it comes to animal protection issues. Many of you got to meet Jimmy at the League’s gala last November. I’ve known him for a few years now and I can honestly say that he is one of my favorite Council Members. Jimmy’s smart and hard-working and, most importantly, compassionate. He really gets the issues. Jimmy’s a co-sponsor of the pets in housing bill (Intro 13), the wild/exotic animal protection bill (Intro 389), the pet shop sprinkler bill (Intro 417), the dog tethering ban (Intro 545) and the humane education/HEART resolution (Reso 497). In addition, Jimmy was one of only 3 members to testify in support of humane education at a

hearing in City Hall this past December. Jimmy’s even written about our bills in local Bronx community papers! I’m throwing this fundraiser for Jimmy because I want to see him in a leadership position in 2010, when the next Council arrives at City Hall, and he needs our help. Please join me in celebrating Jimmy’s accomplishments! Garden Party & Vegan BBQ in Honor of Council Member Jimmy Vacca When: Saturday, June 21, 4pm to 6pm Where: Green Oasis Garden ( East 8th Street between Avenues C and D in Manhattan ) Suggested Donation: $75 (Your donation will be matched by the City 6-to-1!) RSVP: john/ 917-xxx-xxxx (my cell) Food: Veggie burgers, veggie dogs & corn on the cob! J Can’t make it? You can still donate! See the attached form. I hope to see you there! Best, John

Peter vv

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.