IndiaDivine.org

vegan food in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Theo

I can't help at all I'm afraid, as I'm not a traveller, but good luck with it.

Jo

-

waterspirithippie

Saturday, June 21, 2008 9:12 PM

vegan food in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo

I know its a long shot but im going to borneo in 3 weeks and im in serious trouble.Heathrow wont let me take any food and i dont know how im going to survive for 4 weeks, trecking through the jungle, up mount kinabalu and more on just raw fruit and some veg from the local markets.im not looking for any restauraunts just shops that might sell soya or something the only thing i could find was 1 health food shop in a shoping mall in all of borneo.Would appreciate any knowledge even websites that could be handy.Thank youTheo

Guest guest

Can you mail yourself a " care " package to your first stop?

Or can you put food in your luggage (as opposed to carry-ons)? I'd

recheck the regulations.

Do they allow backpacking food? Try going to the nearest

outdoor/outfitting/adventure shop and asking about taking food with

you. They might suggest taking some of their prepared meals, but if I

were doing this, I'd take the most nutrient-dense, compact foods I

could find, such as almonds.

How were you planning to feed yourself for 4 weeks? Even if you can

get local produce, were you planning to carry a month's worth of

supplemental food onto the plane?

At 8:12 PM +0000 6/21/08, waterspirithippie wrote:

>I know its a long shot but im going to borneo in 3 weeks and im in

>serious trouble.

>

>Heathrow wont let me take any food and i dont know how im going to

>survive for 4 weeks, trecking through the jungle, up mount kinabalu and

>more on just raw fruit and some veg from the local markets.

>

>im not looking for any restauraunts just shops that might sell soya or

>something the only thing i could find was 1 health food shop in a

>shoping mall in all of borneo.

>

>Would appreciate any knowledge even websites that could be handy.

>

>Thank you

>Theo

>

>

>---

>

>To send an email to

>-! Groups Links

>

>

>

Guest guest

Theo,Where will you be staying there, will you be able to cook?If Yes, I guess there is no reason to panik (I hope :P), I suppose the northpole is the only place on the planet where you can't find beans, rice and onions.In case you can cook I'll send You a great rice and beans recipe. Easy, cheap, tasty and nutritious.Good Luck!Cheers,Beatriz--- On Sun, 6/22/08, yarrow <yarrow wrote:yarrow <yarrowRe: vegan food in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo Date: Sunday, June 22, 2008, 1:39 AM

Can you mail yourself a "care" package to your first stop?

Or can you put food in your luggage (as opposed to carry-ons)? I'd

recheck the regulations.

Do they allow backpacking food? Try going to the nearest

outdoor/outfitting/ adventure shop and asking about taking food with

you. They might suggest taking some of their prepared meals, but if I

were doing this, I'd take the most nutrient-dense, compact foods I

could find, such as almonds.

How were you planning to feed yourself for 4 weeks? Even if you can

get local produce, were you planning to carry a month's worth of

supplemental food onto the plane?

At 8:12 PM +0000 6/21/08, waterspirithippie wrote:

>I know its a long shot but im going to borneo in 3 weeks and im in

>serious trouble.

>

>Heathrow wont let me take any food and i dont know how im going to

>survive for 4 weeks, trecking through the jungle, up mount kinabalu and

>more on just raw fruit and some veg from the local markets.

>

>im not looking for any restauraunts just shops that might sell soya or

>something the only thing i could find was 1 health food shop in a

>shoping mall in all of borneo.

>

>Would appreciate any knowledge even websites that could be handy.

>

>Thank you

>Theo

>

>

>----------- --------- --------- -------

>

>To send an email to

>-unsubscr ibe

Guest guest

sounds like a blast

indonesia is definately out of my general scope

but, i would think being a crossroads of asian cultures, you shouldn't have THAT much of a problem, just keep yer eyes open, and of course worry about fish being in everything

i would contact the New Zealand Vegetarian Society or the Australian one, and see if they have links or pointers

cheers

fraggle

waterspirithippie Jun 21, 2008 1:12 PM vegan food in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo

I know its a long shot but im going to borneo in 3 weeks and im in serious trouble.Heathrow wont let me take any food and i dont know how im going to survive for 4 weeks, trecking through the jungle, up mount kinabalu and more on just raw fruit and some veg from the local markets.im not looking for any restauraunts just shops that might sell soya or something the only thing i could find was 1 health food shop in a shoping mall in all of borneo.Would appreciate any knowledge even websites that could be handy.Thank youTheo

“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Guest guest

yes thank you, we will be able to cook on those tiny camping gas things, so that recipe will be great thank you my only problem is that by the end of the month everyone will be fed up with me having to cook an intirely different meal whilst there waiting to get trecking.

Beatriz <searchingalight Sent: Sunday, 22 June, 2008 2:52:56 PMRe: vegan food in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo

Theo,Where will you be staying there, will you be able to cook?If Yes, I guess there is no reason to panik (I hope :P), I suppose the northpole is the only place on the planet where you can't find beans, rice and onions.In case you can cook I'll send You a great rice and beans recipe. Easy, cheap, tasty and nutritious.Good Luck!Cheers,Beatriz--- On Sun, 6/22/08, yarrow <yarrow wrote:

yarrow <yarrowRe: vegan food in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo@gro ups.comSunday, June 22, 2008, 1:39 AM

Can you mail yourself a "care" package to your first stop?Or can you put food in your luggage (as opposed to carry-ons)? I'd recheck the regulations.Do they allow backpacking food? Try going to the nearest outdoor/outfitting/ adventure shop and asking about taking food with you. They might suggest taking some of their prepared meals, but if I were doing this, I'd take the most nutrient-dense, compact foods I could find, such as almonds.How were you planning to feed yourself for 4 weeks? Even if you can get local produce, were you planning to carry a month's worth of supplemental food onto the plane?At 8:12 PM +0000 6/21/08, waterspirithippie wrote:>I know its a long shot but im going to borneo in 3 weeks and im in>serious trouble.>>Heathrow wont let me take any food and i dont know how im going to>survive for 4 weeks, trecking through the jungle, up mount

kinabalu and>more on just raw fruit and some veg from the local markets.>>im not looking for any restauraunts just shops that might sell soya or>something the only thing i could find was 1 health food shop in a>shoping mall in all of borneo.>>Would appreciate any knowledge even websites that could be handy.>>Thank you>Theo>>>----------- --------- --------- ------->>To send an email to >-unsubscr ibe

Guest guest

Hi TheoThat rice n beans-thing, I posted it yesterday, here goes the link/message/57601We make that a lot here in Portugal, "Arroz de Feijão", that's the name in Portuguese.So, You'll be cooking on a tiny gas camp cooker? Hm, I suppose recipes which require just one pan will become handy. Let me know if you need any, maybe I come up with some.Another very popular Portuguese dish is "Arroz de Tomate" - Tomato-rice.You just make a tasty tomato sauce, add 3 cups of water, let it come to a boil, add 1 cup of rice and let it cook slowly for 10 to 15 min. Don't let it overcook nor stir it too much or it will get mushy. Ready to eat :).Potatoes and Collards:This may sound insipid, but isn't.Dice potatos and collards, cook them in water with salt. Drain well. Drizzle

with olive oil and a bit vinegar. Season with a bit pepper. Mix thoroughly and serve.Ok, you are safe for 3 days already :PI'm sure your non-veg travel-mates will enjoy these, too. And they are always free to make a campfire and grill fish or meat for themselves.Good Luck!BeatrizP.S.:You know how to make a tomato-sauce?--- On Mon, 6/23/08, Theo Slade <waterspirithippie wrote:Theo Slade <waterspirithippieRe: vegan food in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo Date: Monday, June 23, 2008, 11:40 AM

yes thank you, we will be able to cook on those tiny camping gas things, so that recipe will be great thank you my only problem is that by the end of the month everyone will be fed up with me having to cook an intirely different meal whilst there waiting to get trecking.

Beatriz <searchingalight@ >@gro ups.comSunday, 22 June, 2008 2:52:56 PMRe: vegan food in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo

Theo,Where will you be staying there, will you be able to cook?If Yes, I guess there is no reason to panik (I hope :P), I suppose the northpole is the only place on the planet where you can't find beans, rice and onions.In case you can cook I'll send You a great rice and beans recipe. Easy, cheap, tasty and nutritious.Good Luck!Cheers,Beatriz--- On Sun, 6/22/08, yarrow <yarrow wrote:

yarrow <yarrowRe: vegan food in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo@gro ups.comSunday, June 22, 2008, 1:39 AM

Can you mail yourself a "care" package to your first stop?Or can you put food in your luggage (as opposed to carry-ons)? I'd recheck the regulations.Do they allow backpacking food? Try going to the nearest outdoor/outfitting/ adventure shop and asking about taking food with you. They might suggest taking some of their prepared meals, but if I were doing this, I'd take the most nutrient-dense, compact foods I could find, such as almonds.How were you planning to feed yourself for 4 weeks? Even if you can get local produce, were you planning to carry a month's worth of supplemental food onto the plane?At 8:12 PM +0000 6/21/08, waterspirithippie wrote:>I know its a long shot but im going to borneo in 3 weeks and im in>serious trouble.>>Heathrow wont let me take any food and i dont know how im going to>survive for 4 weeks, trecking through the jungle, up mount

kinabalu and>more on just raw fruit and some veg from the local markets.>>im not looking for any restauraunts just shops that might sell soya or>something the only thing i could find was 1 health food shop in a>shoping mall in all of borneo.>>Would appreciate any knowledge even websites that could be handy.>>Thank you>Theo>>>----------- --------- --------- ------->>To send an email to >-unsubscr ibe

Guest guest

cheers Ive emailed the indonesian vegan society but they havent got back to me as yet.

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Sunday, 22 June, 2008 6:16:57 PMRe: vegan food in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo

sounds like a blast

but, i would think being a crossroads of asian cultures, you shouldn't have THAT much of a problem, just keep yer eyes open, and of course worry about fish being in everything

i would contact the New Zealand Vegetarian Society or the Australian one, and see if they have links or pointers

cheers

fraggle

waterspirithippie Jun 21, 2008 1:12 PM @gro ups.com vegan food in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo

“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

maybe one of the links here could lead you in the right direction

http://www.borneoecotours.com/welcome/

Theo Slade Jun 24, 2008 9:15 AM Re: vegan food in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo

cheers Ive emailed the indonesian vegan society but they havent got back to me as yet.

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Sunday, 22 June, 2008 6:16:57 PMRe: vegan food in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo

sounds like a blast

cheers

fraggle

waterspirithippie Jun 21, 2008 1:12 PM @gro ups.com vegan food in Kota Kinabalu, Borneo

I know its a long shot but im going to borneo in 3 weeks and im in serious trouble.Heathrow wont let me take any food and i dont know how im going to survive for 4 weeks, trecking through the jungle, up mount kinabalu and more on just raw fruit and some veg from the local markets.im not looking for any restauraunts just shops that might sell soya or something the only thing i could find was 1 health food shop in a shoping mall in all of borneo.Would appreciate any knowledge even websites that could be handy.Thank youTheo“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Sent from Mail. A Smarter Email.