IndiaDivine.org

agave, honey-subst and stuff

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Many Thanks :)Specially that molasses I always wanted to give it a try.How about light brown sugar? It has this subtle, yet pleasant aroma which I noticed just by walking down the supermarket aisle.But, now, look what I found in wikipedia about brown sugar:"Many brown sugar producers produce brown sugar by adding cane molasses

to completely refined white sugar crystals in order to more carefully

control the ratio of molasses to sugar crystals and to reduce

manufacturing costs."First they completely refine the stuff and then add it back.. :8Cheers,Beatriz--- On Sun, 6/22/08, yarrow <yarrow wrote:yarrow <yarrowRe: Re: happy solstice - agave, honey-subst and stuff Date: Sunday, June 22, 2008, 1:30 AM

At 1:10 PM -0700 6/21/08, Beatriz wrote:

You know, I haven't made it to the health-food store, yet, but I

doubt I'll find this agave-thing here, in any "strength"

lol.

Even if I find it it is probably outrageously expensive.

Any further suggestions on "honey-replacers" besides this

and the date-syrup?

Eh, affordable ones , please...

>>

Here in the U.S., Trader Joe's carries agave syrup. I still

haven't tried it. But all the liquid sweeteners that are not made from

GMO corn are fairly expensive.

For baking, I like to use molasses. It's also good in a hot

drink, but molasses may be an acquired taste.

I've been using date sugar (I assume made only from dates) in

baking, I bought it ages ago and recently rediscovered it. I'd guess

it's more reasonably priced than date syrup, since I assume it's less

"processed" and less likely to spoil.

If your local store carries frozen juices, that's another option.

You can scoop out a teaspoonful at a time to use as a sweetener. Jams

and jellies are another idea, though they may not dissolve completely

in hot water.

Guest guest

pretty standard in modern "industrial" sugar production

of course, this means that "light brown sugar" might not be vegan

Beatriz Jun 22, 2008 3:29 AM agave, honey-subst and stuff

Many Thanks :)Specially that molasses I always wanted to give it a try.How about light brown sugar? It has this subtle, yet pleasant aroma which I noticed just by walking down the supermarket aisle.But, now, look what I found in wikipedia about brown sugar:"Many brown sugar producers produce brown sugar by adding cane molasses to completely refined white sugar crystals in order to more carefully control the ratio of molasses to sugar crystals and to reduce manufacturing costs."First they completely refine the stuff and then add it back.. :8Cheers,Beatriz--- On Sun, 6/22/08, yarrow <yarrow wrote:

yarrow <yarrowRe: Re: happy solstice - agave, honey-subst and stuff Date: Sunday, June 22, 2008, 1:30 AM

You know, I haven't made it to the health-food store, yet, but I doubt I'll find this agave-thing here, in any "strength" lol.Even if I find it it is probably outrageously expensive.Any further suggestions on "honey-replacers" besides this and the date-syrup?

>>

Here in the U.S., Trader Joe's carries agave syrup. I still haven't tried it. But all the liquid sweeteners that are not made from GMO corn are fairly expensive.

For baking, I like to use molasses. It's also good in a hot drink, but molasses may be an acquired taste.

I've been using date sugar (I assume made only from dates) in baking, I bought it ages ago and recently rediscovered it. I'd guess it's more reasonably priced than date syrup, since I assume it's less "processed" and less likely to spoil.

If your local store carries frozen juices, that's another option. You can scoop out a teaspoonful at a time to use as a sweetener. Jams and jellies are another idea, though they may not dissolve completely in hot water.

“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Guest guest

IF they are by you. Ocean State Job Lot sells the agave nectar. It is $2.39 for a smaller container, perhaps 1 cup--- On Sun, 6/22/08, Beatriz <searchingalight wrote:

Beatriz <searchingalight agave, honey-subst and stuff Date: Sunday, June 22, 2008, 6:29 AM

Many Thanks :)Specially that molasses I always wanted to give it a try.How about light brown sugar? It has this subtle, yet pleasant aroma which I noticed just by walking down the supermarket aisle.But, now, look what I found in wikipedia about brown sugar:"Many brown sugar producers produce brown sugar by adding cane molasses to completely refined white sugar crystals in order to more carefully control the ratio of molasses to sugar crystals and to reduce manufacturing costs."First they completely refine the stuff and then add it back.. :8Cheers,Beatriz--- On Sun, 6/22/08, yarrow <yarrow wrote:

yarrow <yarrowRe: Re: happy solstice - agave, honey-subst and stuff@gro ups.comSunday, June 22, 2008, 1:30 AM

You know, I haven't made it to the health-food store, yet, but I doubt I'll find this agave-thing here, in any "strength" lol.Even if I find it it is probably outrageously expensive.Any further suggestions on "honey-replacers" besides this and the date-syrup?

>>

Here in the U.S., Trader Joe's carries agave syrup. I still haven't tried it. But all the liquid sweeteners that are not made from GMO corn are fairly expensive.

For baking, I like to use molasses. It's also good in a hot drink, but molasses may be an acquired taste.

I've been using date sugar (I assume made only from dates) in baking, I bought it ages ago and recently rediscovered it. I'd guess it's more reasonably priced than date syrup, since I assume it's less "processed" and less likely to spoil.

If your local store carries frozen juices, that's another option. You can scoop out a teaspoonful at a time to use as a sweetener. Jams and jellies are another idea, though they may not dissolve completely in hot water.

Guest guest

Thanks, Lei :)But I'm located in Portugal. --- On Sun, 6/22/08, lei subigone <subigone wrote:lei subigone <subigoneRe: agave, honey-subst and stuff Date: Sunday, June 22, 2008, 2:08 PM

IF they are by you. Ocean State Job Lot sells the agave nectar. It is $2.39 for a smaller container, perhaps 1 cup--- On Sun, 6/22/08, Beatriz <searchingalight@ > wrote:

Beatriz <searchingalight@ > agave, honey-subst and stuff@gro ups.comSunday, June 22, 2008, 6:29 AM

yarrow <yarrowRe: Re: happy solstice - agave, honey-subst and stuff@gro ups.comSunday, June 22, 2008, 1:30 AM

>>