IndiaDivine.org

email not posted

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I don't feel the need to justify myself to you only the need toexplain as > I feel sad for you that you can be so judgmental. I rescued Jake cause he > had no one else, I did it for the best reasons. Now I offer him for > adoption NOT at a fixed price but simply asking for someone to be serous > about adoption him and asking that if they can contribute I would be > grateful due to the fact that I do have a family and a life too (and am > not well off), this took us by surprise and we are happy to do it weather > or not he goes with an adotopin fee so long as HE is happy FIRST which > what always been the TOP priority. But adoption this came to us at a hard > time and we will have to dig ourselves out of the financial responsibly > for him, yes I could have rescued him them passed him

right along prior to> taking him to the vet and let the other pay that expense but (again for > him) his shape was not something that could wait. by no means would the > money ever get in the way of a good home as that comes first. and I am so > sad to see that "animal loves" can be so incredibly criticalover > another's good doing when I didn't even ASK you for help or youropinions > simply hoping to find Jake an appropriate home. and let me clarify OBO (or> best off) not to be sold but because it would help and yet I have offered > him as a free adoption fee to the right home with rigorous interviewing > processes, so perhaps before you pass judgments you should kindly ask the > whole story or even the bigger thing- not pass the judgments... no one > ever asked for your donations!and trust you me I wouldn't take themas I > have had

offers.. that's not what this is about...>> Alicia O--- On Sat, 6/21/08, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarabRe: Opinions wanted on donation e-mails Date: Saturday, June 21, 2008, 11:33 AM

I only know what was on the e-mail, so don't know about the whole situation.However, I do know that when most people rescue an animal and then can't look after it themselves, for whatever reason, they will be happy to find a new home for it without asking for a fairly hefty chunk of cash into the bargain.I've known a large number of situations where animals have been rescued by individuals who have found themselves unable to look after that animal, and the only time they have asked anything with regards to finance is an assurance that the person taking the animal on can afford the vets bills - they have never asked anything for themselves from it, usually because they do not like making animals into comodities to be bought and sold!BBPeter

2008/6/21 lei subigone <subigone >:

You have no idea of the situation with the rescue of the dog Jake. You should consider inquiring about the rescue and I am certain you will change your mind. This truly saddens me.--- On Sat, 6/21/08, jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com> wrote:

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>Re: Opinions wanted on donation e-mails@gro ups.comSaturday, June 21, 2008, 10:30 AM

Good points Peter - I must admit I did not read the posts properly as I saw they were wanting donations. I agree that this would seem like a money-making venture - most people would have just been pleased to save the animal and pass it to a good home.

I think there should be no posts where money is wanted, and no adverts. I think we should keep it as a chat group, with the odd information on events, restaurants etc.

BBJo

-

Peter

@gro ups.com

Saturday, June 21, 2008 8:37 AM

Re: Opinions wanted on donation e-mails

Hi all

Thanks for the opinions so far on this issue - I hope there will still be a few more.

However, I don't think anyone has yet given an opinion on exactly where we should draw the line when it comes to people or organisations using vegan chat list to raise funds for their causes, or using the list as a marketplace for selling items or pets.

I do find it interesting how people have viewed the posts in question. A few people have commented on the one selling the dog for $500 that it seems reasonable to ask for a "donation" to cover their expenses. However, I would suggest that if you put a price tag on something, no matter how flowery you put the wording around it, you are selling an item. If a person selling would like a donation, it would have been far more reasonable in my view to highlight how much had been spent on saving the animal's life, and say that they would appreciate a donation to help cover their costs... without putting a figure on it!

So, where do we draw the line? Do we allow "marketplace" advertisements for pets? Do we allow fund-raising requests from charities? What should and shouldn't we allow?

BB

Peter