IndiaDivine.org

How to prepare for a vegetarian at a summer cookout

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

UPublish story by DiBall12

POSTED: 01:52 p.m. EDT, Jun 23, 2008 “It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer cookouts, especially graduation parties and such,†says Devon Musko, a lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron student. “The main dish is always meat and most side dishes have meat in them.â€Think about it. The standard fare served at cookouts is hamburgers, hot dogs, pork and beans, and potato salad with bacon. It’s no wonder why vegetarians dislike cookouts.“A lot of the time I will eat prior to going,†says Musko, “I will just snack while I am there so that I don’t look rude.â€But it’s not just vegetarians who are avoiding cookouts. According to a survey conducted by the Harris Interactive Service Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine, 22.8 million people say they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined

diet.This means that including vegetarians and vegans, about 13 percent of the U.S. adult population would appreciate a more vegetarian-friendly spread at summer cookouts. Cookout hosts must be aware of the growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. “No one keeps Boca burgers or veggie burgers around just in case, vegetarians at cookouts probably catch people off-guard more than anything,†says Akron local and cookout lover Jesse Leonard.Vegetarians won’t eat food that comes into contact with the same surfaces and utensils as meat.Chef Claudia Peck of The Mustard Seed Market and Café suggests having two separate grills, in order to cook meat on one and vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. “Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers, mushrooms, summer squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed,†says Peck. If you don’t have two grills, Chef Peck suggests baking the veggie-friendly dishes in an

oven.Musko says that having veggie kabobs would be a welcome surprise. “Nobody has ever done that at any cookout I’ve been to, but at camp they would do build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool.†In order to help make your summer cookout vegetarian friendly, keep these pointers in mind:• Make sure there is a wide variety of food without meat. If you make potato salad, try it without bacon and try to have at least one meatless casserole. “Rice dishes are always good,†says Peck. • Buy veggie burgers. Most veggie burgers are vegetarian, so if you are expecting a vegan guest, buy a box of vegan burgers, like Morningstar Grillers Vegan.• Don’t cross-contaminate meat burgers with veggie burgers. Use two grills, a separate heat-coil grill like a George Foreman grill, or cook vegetarian dishes inside the house.• Always have a vegetable and fruit tray.• If you have any questions about

what to serve, you can always contact your local natural food market, like the Mustard Seed Market and Café at 330-666-7333.

“It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer cookouts, especially graduation parties and such,†says Devon Musko, a lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron student. “The main dish is always meat and most side dishes have meat in them.â€Think about it. The standard fare served at cookouts is hamburgers, hot dogs, pork and beans, and potato salad with bacon. It’s no wonder why vegetarians dislike cookouts.

“A lot of the time I will eat prior to going,†says Musko, “I will just snack while I am there so that I don’t look rude.â€But it’s not just vegetarians who are avoiding cookouts. According to a survey conducted by the Harris Interactive Service Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine, 22.8 million people say they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.

This means that including vegetarians and vegans, about 13 percent of the U.S. adult population would appreciate a more vegetarian-friendly spread at summer cookouts.

Cookout hosts must be aware of the growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. “No one keeps Boca burgers or veggie burgers around just in case, vegetarians at cookouts probably catch people off-guard more than anything,†says Akron local and cookout lover Jesse Leonard.

Vegetarians won’t eat food that comes into contact with the same surfaces and utensils as meat.Chef Claudia Peck of The Mustard Seed Market and Café suggests having two separate grills, in order to cook meat on one and vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. “Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers, mushrooms, summer squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed,†says Peck.

If you don’t have two grills, Chef Peck suggests baking the veggie-friendly dishes in an oven.Musko says that having veggie kabobs would be a welcome surprise. “Nobody has ever done that at any cookout I’ve been to, but at camp they would do build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool.â€

In order to help make your summer cookout vegetarian friendly, keep these pointers in mind:• Make sure there is a wide variety of food without meat. If you make potato salad, try it without bacon and try to have at least one meatless casserole. “Rice dishes are always good,†says Peck.

• Buy veggie burgers. Most veggie burgers are vegetarian, so if you are expecting a vegan guest, buy a box of vegan burgers, like Morningstar Grillers Vegan.

• Don’t cross-contaminate meat burgers with veggie burgers. Use two grills, a separate heat-coil grill like a George Foreman grill, or cook vegetarian dishes inside the house.

• Always have a vegetable and fruit tray.

• If you have any questions about what to serve, you can always contact your local natural food market, like the Mustard Seed Market and Café at 330-666-7333.

Page 1

TO READERS: This story was provided by an individual or organization for use on the Ohio.com community site, http://www.ohio.com/upublish. We do not endorse and cannot guarantee the accuracy of this posting, though we do reject announcements with inappropriate content. You can read our full user agreement here.

Peter vv

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

i would just like to thank the makers of aluminium foil at this time.....

Peter VV Jun 24, 2008 12:52 PM Re: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a summer cookout

POSTED: 01:52 p.m. EDT, Jun 23, 2008 “It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer cookouts, especially graduation parties and such,†says Devon Musko, a lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron student. “The main dish is always meat and most side dishes have meat in them.â€Think about it. The standard fare served at cookouts is hamburgers, hot dogs, pork and beans, and potato salad with bacon. It’s no wonder why vegetarians dislike cookouts.“A lot of the time I will eat prior to going,†says Musko, “I will just snack while I am there so that I don’t look rude.â€But it’s not just vegetarians who are avoiding cookouts. According to a survey conducted by the Harris Interactive Service Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine, 22.8 million people say they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.This means that including vegetarians and vegans, about 13 percent of the U.S. adult population would appreciate a more vegetarian-friendly spread at summer cookouts. Cookout hosts must be aware of the growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. “No one keeps Boca burgers or veggie burgers around just in case, vegetarians at cookouts probably catch people off-guard more than anything,†says Akron local and cookout lover Jesse Leonard.Vegetarians won’t eat food that comes into contact with the same surfaces and utensils as meat.Chef Claudia Peck of The Mustard Seed Market and Café suggests having two separate grills, in order to cook meat on one and vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. “Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers, mushrooms, summer squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed,†says Peck. If you don’t have two grills, Chef Peck suggests baking the veggie-friendly dishes in an oven.Musko says that having veggie kabobs would be a welcome surprise. “Nobody has ever done that at any cookout I’ve been to, but at camp they would do build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool.†In order to help make your summer cookout vegetarian friendly, keep these pointers in mind:• Make sure there is a wide variety of food without meat. If you make potato salad, try it without bacon and try to have at least one meatless casserole. “Rice dishes are always good,†says Peck. • Buy veggie burgers. Most veggie burgers are vegetarian, so if you are expecting a vegan guest, buy a box of vegan burgers, like Morningstar Grillers Vegan.• Don’t cross-contaminate meat burgers with veggie burgers. Use two grills, a separate heat-coil grill like a George Foreman grill, or cook vegetarian dishes inside the house.• Always have a vegetable and fruit tray.• If you have any questions about what to serve, you can always contact your local natural food market, like the Mustard Seed Market and Café at 330-666-7333.

“It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer cookouts, especially graduation parties and such,†says Devon Musko, a lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron student. “The main dish is always meat and most side dishes have meat in them.â€Think about it. The standard fare served at cookouts is hamburgers, hot dogs, pork and beans, and potato salad with bacon. It’s no wonder why vegetarians dislike cookouts.

“A lot of the time I will eat prior to going,†says Musko, “I will just snack while I am there so that I don’t look rude.â€But it’s not just vegetarians who are avoiding cookouts. According to a survey conducted by the Harris Interactive Service Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine, 22.8 million people say they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.

This means that including vegetarians and vegans, about 13 percent of the U.S. adult population would appreciate a more vegetarian-friendly spread at summer cookouts.

Cookout hosts must be aware of the growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. “No one keeps Boca burgers or veggie burgers around just in case, vegetarians at cookouts probably catch people off-guard more than anything,†says Akron local and cookout lover Jesse Leonard.

Vegetarians won’t eat food that comes into contact with the same surfaces and utensils as meat.Chef Claudia Peck of The Mustard Seed Market and Café suggests having two separate grills, in order to cook meat on one and vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. “Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers, mushrooms, summer squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed,†says Peck.

If you don’t have two grills, Chef Peck suggests baking the veggie-friendly dishes in an oven.Musko says that having veggie kabobs would be a welcome surprise. “Nobody has ever done that at any cookout I’ve been to, but at camp they would do build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool.â€

In order to help make your summer cookout vegetarian friendly, keep these pointers in mind:• Make sure there is a wide variety of food without meat. If you make potato salad, try it without bacon and try to have at least one meatless casserole. “Rice dishes are always good,†says Peck.

• Buy veggie burgers. Most veggie burgers are vegetarian, so if you are expecting a vegan guest, buy a box of vegan burgers, like Morningstar Grillers Vegan.

• Don’t cross-contaminate meat burgers with veggie burgers. Use two grills, a separate heat-coil grill like a George Foreman grill, or cook vegetarian dishes inside the house.

• If you have any questions about what to serve, you can always contact your local natural food market, like the Mustard Seed Market and Café at 330-666-7333.

Page 1

TO READERS: This story was provided by an individual or organization for use on the Ohio.com community site, http://www.ohio.com/upublish. We do not endorse and cannot guarantee the accuracy of this posting, though we do reject announcements with inappropriate content. You can read our full user agreement here.

Peter vv

Sent from Mail. A Smarter Email.

“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Guest guest

if only people were this considerate--- On Tue, 6/24/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:Peter VV <swpgh01Re: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a summer cookout Date: Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 4:52 PM

POSTED: 01:52 p.m. EDT, Jun 23, 2008 “It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer cookouts, especially graduation parties and such,” says Devon Musko, a lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron student. “The main dish is always meat and most side dishes have meat in them.”Think about it. The standard fare served at cookouts is hamburgers, hot dogs, pork and beans, and potato salad with bacon. It’s no wonder why vegetarians dislike cookouts.“A lot of the time I will eat prior to going,” says Musko, “I will just snack while I am there so that I don’t look rude.”But it’s not just vegetarians who are avoiding cookouts. According to a survey conducted by the Harris Interactive Service Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine, 22.8 million people say they largely follow a

vegetarian-inclined

diet.This means that including vegetarians and vegans, about 13 percent of the U.S. adult population would appreciate a more vegetarian-friendly spread at summer cookouts. Cookout hosts must be aware of the growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. “No one keeps Boca burgers or veggie burgers around just in case, vegetarians at cookouts probably catch people off-guard more than anything,” says Akron local and cookout lover Jesse Leonard.Vegetarians won’t eat food that comes into contact with the same surfaces and utensils as meat.Chef Claudia Peck of The Mustard Seed Market and Café suggests having two separate grills, in order to cook meat on one and vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. “Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers, mushrooms, summer squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed,” says Peck. If you don’t have two grills, Chef Peck suggests baking the veggie-friendly dishes in an

oven.Musko says that having veggie kabobs would be a welcome surprise. “Nobody has ever done that at any cookout I’ve been to, but at camp they would do build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool.” In order to help make your summer cookout vegetarian friendly, keep these pointers in mind:• Make sure there is a wide variety of food without meat. If you make potato salad, try it without bacon and try to have at least one meatless casserole. “Rice dishes are always good,” says Peck. • Buy veggie burgers. Most veggie burgers are vegetarian, so if you are expecting a vegan guest, buy a box of vegan burgers, like Morningstar Grillers Vegan.• Don’t cross-contaminate meat burgers with veggie burgers. Use two grills, a separate heat-coil grill like a George Foreman grill, or cook vegetarian dishes inside the house.• Always have a vegetable and fruit tray.• If you have any questions about

what to serve, you can always contact your local natural food market, like the Mustard Seed Market and Café at 330-666-7333.

“It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer cookouts, especially graduation parties and such,” says Devon Musko, a lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron student. “The main dish is always meat and most side dishes have meat in them.”Think about it. The standard fare served at cookouts is hamburgers, hot dogs, pork and beans, and potato salad with bacon. It’s no wonder why vegetarians dislike cookouts.

“A lot of the time I will eat prior to going,” says Musko, “I will just snack while I am there so that I don’t look rude.”But it’s not just vegetarians who are avoiding cookouts. According to a survey conducted by the Harris Interactive Service Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine, 22.8 million people say they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.

Cookout hosts must be aware of the growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. “No one keeps Boca burgers or veggie burgers around just in case, vegetarians at cookouts probably catch people off-guard more than anything,” says Akron local and cookout lover Jesse Leonard.

Vegetarians won’t eat food that comes into contact with the same surfaces and utensils as meat.Chef Claudia Peck of The Mustard Seed Market and Café suggests having two separate grills, in order to cook meat on one and vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. “Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers, mushrooms, summer squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed,” says Peck.

If you don’t have two grills, Chef Peck suggests baking the veggie-friendly dishes in an oven.Musko says that having veggie kabobs would be a welcome surprise. “Nobody has ever done that at any cookout I’ve been to, but at camp they would do build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool.”

In order to help make your summer cookout vegetarian friendly, keep these pointers in mind:• Make sure there is a wide variety of food without meat. If you make potato salad, try it without bacon and try to have at least one meatless casserole. “Rice dishes are always good,” says Peck.

Page 1

TO READERS: This story was provided by an individual or organization for use on the Ohio.com community site, http://www.ohio. com/upublish. We do not endorse and cannot guarantee the accuracy of this posting, though we do reject announcements with inappropriate content. You can read our full user agreement here.

Peter vv

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

luckily "most" of my friends are this considerate.

almost everyone has two grills when the BBQ, one dedicated to non-flesh.

most folks have something veggie, be it some analog or whatever (last one i went to had grilled veggies, boca burgers, vegan hot dogs, vegan donuts...the one before that, grilled veggies, vegan chili, salad and such)

i guess it all depends on where you live as well

Beatriz Jun 24, 2008 5:49 PM Re: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a summer cookout

if only people were this considerate--- On Tue, 6/24/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>Re: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a summer cookout Date: Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 4:52 PM

POSTED: 01:52 p.m. EDT, Jun 23, 2008 “It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer cookouts, especially graduation parties and such,†says Devon Musko, a lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron student. “The main dish is always meat and most side dishes have meat in them.â€Think about it. The standard fare served at cookouts is hamburgers, hot dogs, pork and beans, and potato salad with bacon. It’s no wonder why vegetarians dislike cookouts.“A lot of the time I will eat prior to going,†says Musko, “I will just snack while I am there so that I don’t look rude.â€But it’s not just vegetarians who are avoiding cookouts. According to a survey conducted by the Harris Interactive Service Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine, 22.8 million people say they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.This means that including vegetarians and vegans, about 13 percent of the U.S. adult population would appreciate a more vegetarian-friendly spread at summer cookouts. Cookout hosts must be aware of the growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. “No one keeps Boca burgers or veggie burgers around just in case, vegetarians at cookouts probably catch people off-guard more than anything,†says Akron local and cookout lover Jesse Leonard.Vegetarians won’t eat food that comes into contact with the same surfaces and utensils as meat.Chef Claudia Peck of The Mustard Seed Market and Café suggests having two separate grills, in order to cook meat on one and vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. “Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers, mushrooms, summer squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed,†says Peck. If you don’t have two grills, Chef Peck suggests baking the veggie-friendly dishes in an oven.Musko says that having veggie kabobs would be a welcome surprise. “Nobody has ever done that at any cookout I’ve been to, but at camp they would do build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool.†In order to help make your summer cookout vegetarian friendly, keep these pointers in mind:• Make sure there is a wide variety of food without meat. If you make potato salad, try it without bacon and try to have at least one meatless casserole. “Rice dishes are always good,†says Peck. • Buy veggie burgers. Most veggie burgers are vegetarian, so if you are expecting a vegan guest, buy a box of vegan burgers, like Morningstar Grillers Vegan.• Don’t cross-contaminate meat burgers with veggie burgers. Use two grills, a separate heat-coil grill like a George Foreman grill, or cook vegetarian dishes inside the house.• Always have a vegetable and fruit tray.• If you have any questions about what to serve, you can always contact your local natural food market, like the Mustard Seed Market and Café at 330-666-7333.

Page 1

TO READERS: This story was provided by an individual or organization for use on the Ohio.com community site, http://www.ohio. com/upublish. We do not endorse and cannot guarantee the accuracy of this posting, though we do reject announcements with inappropriate content. You can read our full user agreement here.

Peter vv

“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Guest guest

It would be good. I have been lucky the few times I've been to a BBQ (I'm not a fan), and people have at least at veggie sausages which they have kindly cooked before the meat sausages.

Jo

-

Beatriz

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:49 PM

Re: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a summer cookout

if only people were this considerate--- On Tue, 6/24/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>Re: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a summer cookout Date: Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 4:52 PM

POSTED: 01:52 p.m. EDT, Jun 23, 2008 “It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer cookouts, especially graduation parties and such,” says Devon Musko, a lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron student. “The main dish is always meat and most side dishes have meat in them.”Think about it. The standard fare served at cookouts is hamburgers, hot dogs, pork and beans, and potato salad with bacon. It’s no wonder why vegetarians dislike cookouts.“A lot of the time I will eat prior to going,” says Musko, “I will just snack while I am there so that I don’t look rude.”But it’s not just vegetarians who are avoiding cookouts. According to a survey conducted by the Harris Interactive Service Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine, 22.8 million people say they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.This means that including vegetarians and vegans, about 13 percent of the U.S. adult population would appreciate a more vegetarian-friendly spread at summer cookouts. Cookout hosts must be aware of the growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. “No one keeps Boca burgers or veggie burgers around just in case, vegetarians at cookouts probably catch people off-guard more than anything,” says Akron local and cookout lover Jesse Leonard.Vegetarians won’t eat food that comes into contact with the same surfaces and utensils as meat.Chef Claudia Peck of The Mustard Seed Market and Café suggests having two separate grills, in order to cook meat on one and vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. “Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers, mushrooms, summer squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed,” says Peck. If you don’t have two grills, Chef Peck suggests baking the veggie-friendly dishes in an oven.Musko says that having veggie kabobs would be a welcome surprise. “Nobody has ever done that at any cookout I’ve been to, but at camp they would do build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool.” In order to help make your summer cookout vegetarian friendly, keep these pointers in mind:• Make sure there is a wide variety of food without meat. If you make potato salad, try it without bacon and try to have at least one meatless casserole. “Rice dishes are always good,” says Peck. • Buy veggie burgers. Most veggie burgers are vegetarian, so if you are expecting a vegan guest, buy a box of vegan burgers, like Morningstar Grillers Vegan.• Don’t cross-contaminate meat burgers with veggie burgers. Use two grills, a separate heat-coil grill like a George Foreman grill, or cook vegetarian dishes inside the house.• Always have a vegetable and fruit tray.• If you have any questions about what to serve, you can always contact your local natural food market, like the Mustard Seed Market and Café at 330-666-7333.

“It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer cookouts, especially graduation parties and such,” says Devon Musko, a lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron student. “The main dish is always meat and most side dishes have meat in them.”Think about it. The standard fare served at cookouts is hamburgers, hot dogs, pork and beans, and potato salad with bacon. It’s no wonder why vegetarians dislike cookouts.

“A lot of the time I will eat prior to going,” says Musko, “I will just snack while I am there so that I don’t look rude.”But it’s not just vegetarians who are avoiding cookouts. According to a survey conducted by the Harris Interactive Service Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine, 22.8 million people say they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.

Cookout hosts must be aware of the growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. “No one keeps Boca burgers or veggie burgers around just in case, vegetarians at cookouts probably catch people off-guard more than anything,” says Akron local and cookout lover Jesse Leonard.

Vegetarians won’t eat food that comes into contact with the same surfaces and utensils as meat.Chef Claudia Peck of The Mustard Seed Market and Café suggests having two separate grills, in order to cook meat on one and vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. “Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers, mushrooms, summer squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed,” says Peck.

If you don’t have two grills, Chef Peck suggests baking the veggie-friendly dishes in an oven.Musko says that having veggie kabobs would be a welcome surprise. “Nobody has ever done that at any cookout I’ve been to, but at camp they would do build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool.”

In order to help make your summer cookout vegetarian friendly, keep these pointers in mind:• Make sure there is a wide variety of food without meat. If you make potato salad, try it without bacon and try to have at least one meatless casserole. “Rice dishes are always good,” says Peck.

Page 1

Peter vv

Guest guest

I'm also not such a bbq-fan, these kind of 'events' kind of stress me out a bit.There are all kinds of people, some are very considerate, others tend to "forget"Luckily there is always salad, bread and olives available.Bread with olives, so simple and yet so yummy. Have you tried that?What do You take with you when you go to a bbq or thing of the kind attended also by Pre-Vegetarians?Thanks,Beatriz--- On Tue, 6/24/08, jo <jo.heartwork wrote:jo <jo.heartworkRe: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a summer cookout Date: Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 6:33 PM

It would be good. I have been lucky the few times I've been to a BBQ (I'm not a fan), and people have at least at veggie sausages which they have kindly cooked before the meat sausages.

Jo

-

Beatriz

@gro ups.com

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:49 PM

Re: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a summer cookout

Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>Re: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a summer cookout@gro ups.comTuesday, June 24, 2008, 4:52 PM

POSTED: 01:52 p.m. EDT, Jun 23, 2008 “It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer cookouts, especially graduation parties and such,” says Devon Musko, a lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron student. “The main dish is always meat and most side dishes have meat in them.”Think about it. The standard fare served at cookouts is hamburgers, hot dogs, pork and beans, and potato salad with bacon. It’s no wonder why vegetarians dislike cookouts.“A lot of the time I will eat prior to going,” says Musko, “I will just snack while I am there so that I don’t look rude.”But it’s not just vegetarians who are avoiding cookouts. According to a survey conducted by the Harris Interactive Service Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine, 22.8 million people say they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.This means that including vegetarians and vegans, about 13 percent of the U.S. adult population would appreciate a more vegetarian-friendly spread at summer cookouts. Cookout hosts must be aware of the growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. “No one keeps Boca burgers or veggie burgers around just in case, vegetarians at cookouts probably catch people off-guard more than anything,” says Akron local and cookout lover Jesse Leonard.Vegetarians won’t eat food that comes into contact with the same surfaces and utensils as meat.Chef Claudia Peck of The Mustard Seed Market and Café suggests having two separate grills, in order to cook meat on one and vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. “Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers, mushrooms, summer squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed,” says Peck. If you don’t have two grills, Chef Peck suggests baking the veggie-friendly dishes in an oven.Musko says that having veggie kabobs would be a welcome surprise. “Nobody has ever done that at any cookout I’ve been to, but at camp they would do build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool.” In order to help make your summer cookout vegetarian friendly, keep these pointers in mind:• Make sure there is a wide variety of food without meat. If you make potato salad, try it without bacon and try to have at least one meatless casserole. “Rice dishes are always good,” says Peck. • Buy veggie burgers. Most veggie burgers are vegetarian, so if you are expecting a vegan guest, buy a box of vegan burgers, like Morningstar Grillers Vegan.• Don’t cross-contaminate meat burgers with veggie burgers. Use two grills, a separate heat-coil grill like a George Foreman grill, or cook vegetarian dishes inside the house.• Always have a vegetable and fruit tray.• If you have any questions about what to serve, you can always contact your local natural food market, like the Mustard Seed Market and Café at 330-666-7333.

Page 1

Peter vv

Guest guest

Hello everyone,

We have a company BBQ coming up next week. Luckily there is one

other vegetarian in the office so I'm not alone. The office is doing

the typical hamburgers, hot dogs, beans, etc. I was planning to

contribute a cold pasta salad. I know, pasta is the

typical " vegetarian " dish, but I figured worse case, at least it

could be a good main dish for the two of us. I've been making this

side dish for a while and use whatever small pasta I have on hand,

Italian dressing and then fresh vegetables - cucumber, tomato,

zucchini, green onions, etc. Then a little salt, pepper, and celery

seed. I usually keep it vegan, but you could always add a little

feta cheese to it if you are vegetarian.

- Rochelle

, Beatriz <searchingalight

wrote:

>

> I'm also not such a bbq-fan, these kind of 'events' kind of stress

me out a bit.

> There are all kinds of people, some are very considerate, others

tend to " forget "

> Luckily there is always salad, bread and olives available.

> Bread with olives, so simple and yet so yummy. Have you tried that?

> What do You take with you when you go to a bbq or thing of the kind

attended also by Pre-Vegetarians?

>

> Thanks,

> Beatriz

>

> --- On Tue, 6/24/08, jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

> jo <jo.heartwork

> Re: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a

summer cookout

>

> Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 6:33 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

It would be good.  I have been lucky the few

> times I've been to a BBQ (I'm not a fan), and people have at least

at veggie

> sausages which they have kindly cooked before the meat sausages.

>  

> Jo

>  

>

> -

>

> Beatriz

> @gro ups.com

> Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:49

> PM

> Re: How to prepare

> for a vegetarian at a summer cookout

>

if only people were this considerate

>

> --- On

> Tue, 6/24/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>

> wrote:

>

> Peter

> VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>

> Subject:

summer

> cookout

> @gro ups.com

> Date:

> Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 4:52 PM

>

>

UPublish story by

> DiBall12

> POSTED: 01:52 p.m.

> EDT, Jun 23, 2008 " It is hard for vegetarians to go to

summer

> cookouts, especially graduation parties and such, " says

Devon Musko, a

> lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron student. " The

main dish is

> always meat and most side dishes have meat in them. "

> Think about

> it. The standard fare served at cookouts is hamburgers,

hot dogs, pork

> and beans, and potato salad with bacon. It's no wonder

why vegetarians

> dislike cookouts.

>

> " A lot of the time I will eat prior to

> going, " says Musko, " I will just snack while I am there

so that I

> don't look rude. "

> But it's not just vegetarians who are avoiding

> cookouts. According to a survey conducted by the Harris

Interactive

> Service Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine,

22.8 million

> people say they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.

>

> This

> means that including vegetarians and vegans, about 13

percent of the

> U.S. adult population would appreciate a more vegetarian-

friendly

> spread at summer cookouts.

>

> Cookout hosts must be aware of the

> growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. " No one

keeps Boca

> burgers or veggie burgers around just in case,

vegetarians at cookouts

> probably catch people off-guard more than anything, " says

Akron local

> and cookout lover Jesse Leonard.

>

> Vegetarians won't eat food

> that comes into contact with the same surfaces and

utensils as

> meat.

> Chef Claudia Peck of The Mustard Seed Market and Café

> suggests having two separate grills, in order to cook

meat on one and

> vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. " Something like

> veggie-kabobs with peppers, mushrooms, summer squash, and

tomatoes

> would be great barbequed, " says Peck.

>

> If you don't have two

> grills, Chef Peck suggests baking the veggie-friendly

dishes in an

> oven.

> Musko says that having veggie kabobs would be a welcome

> surprise. " Nobody has ever done that at any cookout I've

been to, but

> at camp they would do build-your-own skewers, and that

was pretty

> cool. "

>

> In order to help make your summer cookout vegetarian

> friendly, keep these pointers in mind:

> • Make sure there is a wide

> variety of food without meat. If you make potato salad,

try it without

> bacon and try to have at least one meatless

casserole. " Rice dishes

> are always good, " says Peck.

>

> • Buy veggie burgers. Most veggie

> burgers are vegetarian, so if you are expecting a vegan

guest, buy a

> box of vegan burgers, like Morningstar Grillers Vegan.

>

> • Don't

> cross-contaminate meat burgers with veggie burgers. Use

two grills, a

> separate heat-coil grill like a George Foreman grill, or

cook

> vegetarian dishes inside the house.

>

> • Always have a vegetable

> and fruit tray.

>

> • If you have any questions about what to

> serve, you can always contact your local natural food

market, like the

> Mustard Seed Market and Café at 330-666-7333.

>

>

> " It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer

Devon Musko, a

main dish is

> Think about

hot dogs, pork

why vegetarians

> dislike cookouts.

> " A lot of the time I will eat prior to going, " says

> Musko, " I will just snack while I am there so that I

don't look

> rude. "

> But it's not just vegetarians who are avoiding cookouts.

> According to a survey conducted by the Harris Interactive

Service

> Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine, 22.8

million people say

> they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.

> This means that including vegetarians and vegans,

> about 13 percent of the U.S. adult population would

appreciate a more

> vegetarian-friendly spread at summer cookouts.

> Cookout hosts must be aware of the growing

> vegetarian trend and offer more options. " No one keeps

Boca burgers or

> veggie burgers around just in case, vegetarians at

cookouts probably

> catch people off-guard more than anything, " says Akron

local and

> cookout lover Jesse Leonard.

> Vegetarians won't eat food that comes into contact

> with the same surfaces and utensils as meat.

> Chef Claudia Peck of

> The Mustard Seed Market and Café suggests having two

separate grills,

> in order to cook meat on one and vegetarian-friendly

courses on the

> other. " Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers,

mushrooms, summer

> squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed, " says Peck.

> If you don't have two grills, Chef Peck suggests

> baking the veggie-friendly dishes in an oven.

> Musko says that

> having veggie kabobs would be a welcome surprise. " Nobody

has ever

> done that at any cookout I've been to, but at camp they

would do

> build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool. "

> In order to help make your summer cookout

> vegetarian friendly, keep these pointers in mind:

> • Make sure there

> is a wide variety of food without meat. If you make

potato salad, try

> it without bacon and try to have at least one meatless

casserole.

> " Rice dishes are always good, " says Peck.

> • Buy veggie burgers. Most veggie burgers are

> vegetarian, so if you are expecting a vegan guest, buy a

box of vegan

> burgers, like Morningstar Grillers Vegan.

> • Don't cross-contaminate meat burgers with veggie

> burgers. Use two grills, a separate heat-coil grill like

a George

> Foreman grill, or cook vegetarian dishes inside the house.

> • Always have a vegetable and fruit tray.

> • If you have any questions about what to serve,

> you can always contact your local natural food market,

like the

>

> Page 1

>

>

>

> TO READERS: This story was provided by an

> individual or organization for use on the Ohio.com

community site, http://www.ohio. com/upublish. We do not

> endorse and cannot guarantee the accuracy of this

posting, though we

> do reject announcements with inappropriate content. You

can read our

> full user agreement here.

>

>  

>

> Peter vv

>

>

> Sent from Mail.

> A Smarter Email.

>

Guest guest

Hi RochelleSounds like a good idea. Thanks !Cheers :)Beatriz--- On Tue, 6/24/08, rochelle0123 <rochelle0123 wrote:rochelle0123 <rochelle0123 Re: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a summer cookout Date: Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 7:07 PM

Hello everyone,

We have a company BBQ coming up next week. Luckily there is one

other vegetarian in the office so I'm not alone. The office is doing

the typical hamburgers, hot dogs, beans, etc. I was planning to

contribute a cold pasta salad. I know, pasta is the

typical "vegetarian" dish, but I figured worse case, at least it

could be a good main dish for the two of us. I've been making this

side dish for a while and use whatever small pasta I have on hand,

Italian dressing and then fresh vegetables - cucumber, tomato,

zucchini, green onions, etc. Then a little salt, pepper, and celery

seed. I usually keep it vegan, but you could always add a little

feta cheese to it if you are vegetarian.

- Rochelle

@gro ups.com, Beatriz <searchingalight@ ...>

wrote:

>

me out a bit.

tend to "forget"

>

> Thanks,

> Beatriz

>

> --- On Tue, 6/24/08, jo <jo.heartwork@ ...> wrote:

> jo <jo.heartwork@ ...>

summer cookout

> @gro ups.com

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> It would be good. I have been lucky the few

at veggie

>

> Jo

>

>

> -

>

> Beatriz

> @gro ups.com

> PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> if only people were this considerate

>

> --- On

> wrote:

>

> Peter

>

summer

> cookout

> @gro ups.com

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> UPublish story by

> DiBall12

> EDT, Jun 23, 2008 "It is hard for vegetarians to go to

summer

> cookouts, especially graduation parties and such," says

Devon Musko, a

> lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron student. "The

main dish is

> always meat and most side dishes have meat in them."

> Think about

hot dogs, pork

why vegetarians

> dislike cookouts.

>

> "A lot of the time I will eat prior to

> going," says Musko, "I will just snack while I am there

so that I

> don't look rude."

Interactive

22.8 million

>

> This

percent of the

friendly

>

> growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. "No one

keeps Boca

vegetarians at cookouts

> probably catch people off-guard more than anything," says

Akron local

>

utensils as

> meat.

meat on one and

> vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. "Something like

tomatoes

> would be great barbequed," says Peck.

>

> If you don't have two

dishes in an

> oven.

> surprise. "Nobody has ever done that at any cookout I've

been to, but

was pretty

> cool."

>

try it without

casserole. "Rice dishes

> are always good," says Peck.

>

guest, buy a

>

> • Don't

two grills, a

cook

>

> and fruit tray.

>

market, like the

>

>

> "It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer

Devon Musko, a

main dish is

> Think about

hot dogs, pork

why vegetarians

> dislike cookouts.

> "A lot of the time I will eat prior to going," says

> Musko, "I will just snack while I am there so that I

don't look

> rude."

Service

million people say

appreciate a more

> vegetarian trend and offer more options. "No one keeps

Boca burgers or

cookouts probably

> catch people off-guard more than anything," says Akron

local and

> Chef Claudia Peck of

separate grills,

courses on the

> other. "Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers,

mushrooms, summer

> squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed," says Peck.

> Musko says that

> having veggie kabobs would be a welcome surprise. "Nobody

has ever

would do

> build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool."

> • Make sure there

potato salad, try

casserole.

> "Rice dishes are always good," says Peck.

box of vegan

a George

like the

>

> Page 1

>

>

>

posting, though we

can read our

>

>

>

> Peter vv

>

>

> Sent from Mail.

> A Smarter Email.

>

Guest guest

I've only been to a couple, and on both occasions I was told there

would be veggie food, so no need to bring anything - and they were

right.

Jo

, Beatriz <searchingalight

wrote:

>

me out a bit.

tend to " forget "

>

> Thanks,

> Beatriz

>

> --- On Tue, 6/24/08, jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

> jo <jo.heartwork

summer cookout

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

It would be good.  I have been lucky the few

at veggie

>  

> Jo

>  

>

> -

>

> Beatriz

> @gro ups.com

> PM

>

if only people were this considerate

>

> --- On

> wrote:

>

> Peter

> Subject:

summer

> cookout

> @gro ups.com

> Date:

>

>

UPublish story by

> DiBall12

> EDT, Jun 23, 2008 " It is hard for vegetarians to go to

summer

Devon Musko, a

main dish is

> Think about

hot dogs, pork

why vegetarians

> dislike cookouts.

>

> " A lot of the time I will eat prior to

> going, " says Musko, " I will just snack while I am there

so that I

> don't look rude. "

Interactive

22.8 million

>

> This

percent of the

friendly

>

> growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. " No one

keeps Boca

vegetarians at cookouts

> probably catch people off-guard more than anything, " says

Akron local

>

utensils as

> meat.

meat on one and

> vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. " Something like

tomatoes

> would be great barbequed, " says Peck.

>

> If you don't have two

dishes in an

> oven.

> surprise. " Nobody has ever done that at any cookout I've

been to, but

was pretty

> cool. "

>

try it without

casserole. " Rice dishes

> are always good, " says Peck.

>

guest, buy a

>

> • Don't

two grills, a

cook

>

> and fruit tray.

>

market, like the

>

>

> " It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer

Devon Musko, a

main dish is

> Think about

hot dogs, pork

why vegetarians

> dislike cookouts.

> " A lot of the time I will eat prior to going, " says

> Musko, " I will just snack while I am there so that I

don't look

> rude. "

Service

million people say

appreciate a more

> vegetarian trend and offer more options. " No one keeps

Boca burgers or

cookouts probably

> catch people off-guard more than anything, " says Akron

local and

> Chef Claudia Peck of

separate grills,

courses on the

> other. " Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers,

mushrooms, summer

> squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed, " says Peck.

> Musko says that

> having veggie kabobs would be a welcome surprise. " Nobody

has ever

would do

> build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool. "

> • Make sure there

potato salad, try

casserole.

> " Rice dishes are always good, " says Peck.

box of vegan

a George

like the

>

> Page 1

>

>

>

posting, though we

can read our

>

>  

>

> Peter vv

>

>

> Sent from Mail.

> A Smarter Email.

>

Guest guest

Sounds tasty. Don't forget that vegetarians can eat vegan food -

they don't have to have cheese at every meal - so they don't need to

add the cheese.

Jo

, " rochelle0123 " <rochelle0123

wrote:

>

> Hello everyone,

>

> We have a company BBQ coming up next week. Luckily there is one

> other vegetarian in the office so I'm not alone. The office is

doing

> the typical hamburgers, hot dogs, beans, etc. I was planning to

> contribute a cold pasta salad. I know, pasta is the

> typical " vegetarian " dish, but I figured worse case, at least it

> could be a good main dish for the two of us. I've been making this

> side dish for a while and use whatever small pasta I have on hand,

> Italian dressing and then fresh vegetables - cucumber, tomato,

> zucchini, green onions, etc. Then a little salt, pepper, and

celery

> seed. I usually keep it vegan, but you could always add a little

> feta cheese to it if you are vegetarian.

>

> - Rochelle

>

> , Beatriz <searchingalight@>

> wrote:

> >

> > I'm also not such a bbq-fan, these kind of 'events' kind of

stress

> me out a bit.

> > There are all kinds of people, some are very considerate, others

> tend to " forget "

> > Luckily there is always salad, bread and olives available.

> > Bread with olives, so simple and yet so yummy. Have you tried

that?

> > What do You take with you when you go to a bbq or thing of the

kind

> attended also by Pre-Vegetarians?

> >

> > Thanks,

> > Beatriz

> >

> > --- On Tue, 6/24/08, jo <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> > jo <jo.heartwork@>

> > Re: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a

> summer cookout

> >

> > Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 6:33 PM

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > It would be good.  I have been lucky the few

> > times I've been to a BBQ (I'm not a fan), and people have at

least

> at veggie

> > sausages which they have kindly cooked before the meat sausages.

> >  

> > Jo

> >  

> >

> > -

> >

> > Beatriz

> > @gro ups.com

> > Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:49

> > PM

> > Re: How to prepare

> > for a vegetarian at a summer cookout

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > if only people were this considerate

> >

> > --- On

> > Tue, 6/24/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>

> > wrote:

> >

> > Peter

> > VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>

> > Subject:

> > Re: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a

> summer

> > cookout

> > @gro ups.com

> > Date:

> > Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 4:52 PM

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > UPublish story by

> > DiBall12

> > POSTED: 01:52 p.m.

> > EDT, Jun 23, 2008 " It is hard for vegetarians to go to

> summer

> > cookouts, especially graduation parties and such, " says

> Devon Musko, a

> > lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron

student. " The

> main dish is

> > always meat and most side dishes have meat in them. "

> > Think about

> > it. The standard fare served at cookouts is hamburgers,

> hot dogs, pork

> > and beans, and potato salad with bacon. It's no wonder

> why vegetarians

> > dislike cookouts.

> >

> > " A lot of the time I will eat prior to

> > going, " says Musko, " I will just snack while I am there

> so that I

> > don't look rude. "

> > But it's not just vegetarians who are avoiding

> > cookouts. According to a survey conducted by the Harris

> Interactive

> > Service Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine,

> 22.8 million

> > people say they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined

diet.

> >

> > This

> > means that including vegetarians and vegans, about 13

> percent of the

> > U.S. adult population would appreciate a more

vegetarian-

> friendly

> > spread at summer cookouts.

> >

> > Cookout hosts must be aware of the

> > growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. " No

one

> keeps Boca

> > burgers or veggie burgers around just in case,

> vegetarians at cookouts

> > probably catch people off-guard more than anything, "

says

> Akron local

> > and cookout lover Jesse Leonard.

> >

> > Vegetarians won't eat food

> > that comes into contact with the same surfaces and

> utensils as

> > meat.

> > Chef Claudia Peck of The Mustard Seed Market and Café

> > suggests having two separate grills, in order to cook

> meat on one and

> > vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. " Something

> > veggie-kabobs with peppers, mushrooms, summer squash,

and

> tomatoes

> > would be great barbequed, " says Peck.

> >

> > If you don't have two

> > grills, Chef Peck suggests baking the veggie-friendly

> dishes in an

> > oven.

> > Musko says that having veggie kabobs would be a welcome

> > surprise. " Nobody has ever done that at any cookout

I've

> been to, but

> > at camp they would do build-your-own skewers, and that

> was pretty

> > cool. "

> >

> > In order to help make your summer cookout vegetarian

> > friendly, keep these pointers in mind:

> > • Make sure there is a wide

> > variety of food without meat. If you make potato salad,

> try it without

> > bacon and try to have at least one meatless

> casserole. " Rice dishes

> > are always good, " says Peck.

> >

> > • Buy veggie burgers. Most veggie

> > burgers are vegetarian, so if you are expecting a vegan

> guest, buy a

> > box of vegan burgers, like Morningstar Grillers Vegan.

> >

> > • Don't

> > cross-contaminate meat burgers with veggie burgers. Use

> two grills, a

> > separate heat-coil grill like a George Foreman grill,

or

> cook

> > vegetarian dishes inside the house.

> >

> > • Always have a vegetable

> > and fruit tray.

> >

> > • If you have any questions about what to

> > serve, you can always contact your local natural food

> market, like the

> > Mustard Seed Market and Café at 330-666-7333.

> >

> >

> > " It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer

> > cookouts, especially graduation parties and such, " says

> Devon Musko, a

> > lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron

student. " The

> main dish is

> > always meat and most side dishes have meat in them. "

> > Think about

> > it. The standard fare served at cookouts is hamburgers,

> hot dogs, pork

> > and beans, and potato salad with bacon. It's no wonder

> why vegetarians

> > dislike cookouts.

> > " A lot of the time I will eat prior to going, " says

> > Musko, " I will just snack while I am there so that I

> don't look

> > rude. "

> > But it's not just vegetarians who are avoiding cookouts.

> > According to a survey conducted by the Harris

Interactive

> Service

> > Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine, 22.8

> million people say

> > they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.

> > This means that including vegetarians and vegans,

> > about 13 percent of the U.S. adult population would

> appreciate a more

> > vegetarian-friendly spread at summer cookouts.

> > Cookout hosts must be aware of the growing

> > vegetarian trend and offer more options. " No one keeps

> Boca burgers or

> > veggie burgers around just in case, vegetarians at

> cookouts probably

> > catch people off-guard more than anything, " says Akron

> local and

> > cookout lover Jesse Leonard.

> > Vegetarians won't eat food that comes into contact

> > with the same surfaces and utensils as meat.

> > Chef Claudia Peck of

> > The Mustard Seed Market and Café suggests having two

> separate grills,

> > in order to cook meat on one and vegetarian-friendly

> courses on the

> > other. " Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers,

> mushrooms, summer

> > squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed, " says

Peck.

> > If you don't have two grills, Chef Peck suggests

> > baking the veggie-friendly dishes in an oven.

> > Musko says that

> > having veggie kabobs would be a welcome

surprise. " Nobody

> has ever

> > done that at any cookout I've been to, but at camp they

> would do

> > build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool. "

> > In order to help make your summer cookout

> > vegetarian friendly, keep these pointers in mind:

> > • Make sure there

> > is a wide variety of food without meat. If you make

> potato salad, try

> > it without bacon and try to have at least one meatless

> casserole.

> > " Rice dishes are always good, " says Peck.

> > • Buy veggie burgers. Most veggie burgers are

> > vegetarian, so if you are expecting a vegan guest, buy

a

> box of vegan

> > burgers, like Morningstar Grillers Vegan.

> > • Don't cross-contaminate meat burgers with veggie

> > burgers. Use two grills, a separate heat-coil grill

> a George

> > Foreman grill, or cook vegetarian dishes inside the

house.

> > • Always have a vegetable and fruit tray.

> > • If you have any questions about what to serve,

> > you can always contact your local natural food market,

> like the

> > Mustard Seed Market and Café at 330-666-7333.

> >

> > Page 1

> >

> >

> >

> > TO READERS: This story was provided by an

> > individual or organization for use on the Ohio.com

> community site, http://www.ohio. com/upublish. We do not

> > endorse and cannot guarantee the accuracy of this

> posting, though we

> > do reject announcements with inappropriate content. You

> can read our

> > full user agreement here.

> >

> >  

> >

> > Peter vv

> >

> >

> > Sent from Mail.

> > A Smarter Email.

> >

>

Guest guest

OK, thanks, Jo :)--- On Wed, 6/25/08, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:heartwerk <jo.heartwork Re: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a summer cookout Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 2:51 AM

I've only been to a couple, and on both occasions I was told there

would be veggie food, so no need to bring anything - and they were

right.

Jo

@gro ups.com, Beatriz <searchingalight@ ...>

wrote:

>

me out a bit.

tend to "forget"

>

> Thanks,

> Beatriz

>

> --- On Tue, 6/24/08, jo <jo.heartwork@ ...> wrote:

> jo <jo.heartwork@ ...>

summer cookout

> @gro ups.com

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> It would be good. I have been lucky the few

at veggie

>

> Jo

>

>

> -

>

> Beatriz

> @gro ups.com

> PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> if only people were this considerate

>

> --- On

> wrote:

>

> Peter

>

summer

> cookout

> @gro ups.com

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> UPublish story by

> DiBall12

> EDT, Jun 23, 2008 "It is hard for vegetarians to go to

summer

Devon Musko, a

main dish is

> Think about

hot dogs, pork

why vegetarians

> dislike cookouts.

>

> "A lot of the time I will eat prior to

> going," says Musko, "I will just snack while I am there

so that I

> don't look rude."

Interactive

22.8 million

>

> This

percent of the

friendly

>

> growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. "No one

keeps Boca

vegetarians at cookouts

> probably catch people off-guard more than anything," says

Akron local

>

utensils as

> meat.

meat on one and

> vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. "Something like

tomatoes

> would be great barbequed," says Peck.

>

> If you don't have two

dishes in an

> oven.

> surprise. "Nobody has ever done that at any cookout I've

been to, but

was pretty

> cool."

>

try it without

casserole. "Rice dishes

> are always good," says Peck.

>

guest, buy a

>

> • Don't

two grills, a

cook

>

> and fruit tray.

>

market, like the

>

>

> "It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer

Devon Musko, a

main dish is

> Think about

hot dogs, pork

why vegetarians

> dislike cookouts.

> "A lot of the time I will eat prior to going," says

> Musko, "I will just snack while I am there so that I

don't look

> rude."

Service

million people say

appreciate a more

> vegetarian trend and offer more options. "No one keeps

Boca burgers or

cookouts probably

> catch people off-guard more than anything," says Akron

local and

> Chef Claudia Peck of

separate grills,

courses on the

> other. "Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers,

mushrooms, summer

> squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed," says Peck.

> Musko says that

> having veggie kabobs would be a welcome surprise. "Nobody

has ever

would do

> build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool."

> • Make sure there

potato salad, try

casserole.

> "Rice dishes are always good," says Peck.

box of vegan

a George

like the

>

> Page 1

>

>

>

posting, though we

can read our

>

>

>

> Peter vv

>

>

> Sent from Mail.

> A Smarter Email.

>

Guest guest

You could always try and get your own bbq and marinade some vegies on skewers, in some oil, vinegar,tarragon etc, and bbq them, also some fruit ones? chuck on some pittas to put the veggies in off the skewers?

Peter vv

rochelle0123 <rochelle0123 Sent: Wednesday, 25 June, 2008 12:07:14 AM Re: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a summer cookout

Hello everyone,We have a company BBQ coming up next week. Luckily there is one other vegetarian in the office so I'm not alone. The office is doing the typical hamburgers, hot dogs, beans, etc. I was planning to contribute a cold pasta salad. I know, pasta is the typical "vegetarian" dish, but I figured worse case, at least it could be a good main dish for the two of us. I've been making this side dish for a while and use whatever small pasta I have on hand, Italian dressing and then fresh vegetables - cucumber, tomato, zucchini, green onions, etc. Then a little salt, pepper, and celery seed. I usually keep it vegan, but you could always add a little feta cheese to it if you are vegetarian.- Rochelle@gro ups.com, Beatriz <searchingalight@

....> wrote:>> I'm also not such a bbq-fan, these kind of 'events' kind of stress me out a bit.> There are all kinds of people, some are very considerate, others tend to "forget"> Luckily there is always salad, bread and olives available.> Bread with olives, so simple and yet so yummy. Have you tried that?> What do You take with you when you go to a bbq or thing of the kind attended also by Pre-Vegetarians?> > Thanks,> Beatriz> > --- On Tue, 6/24/08, jo <jo.heartwork@ ...> wrote:> jo <jo.heartwork@ ...>> Re: How to prepare for a vegetarian at a summer cookout> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 6:33 PM> > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > It would be good. I have been lucky the few > times I've been to a BBQ (I'm not a fan), and people have at least at veggie > sausages which they have kindly cooked before the meat sausages.> > Jo> > > - > > Beatriz > @gro ups.com > Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:49 > PM> Re: How to prepare > for a vegetarian at a summer cookout> > > > > > > > if only people were this considerate> > --- On > Tue, 6/24/08, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> > wrote:> > Peter > VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com>> > Re: How to prepare for a

vegetarian at a summer > cookout> @gro ups.com> > Tuesday, June 24, 2008, 4:52 PM> > > > > > > > > UPublish story by > DiBall12 > POSTED: 01:52 p.m. > EDT, Jun 23, 2008 "It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer > cookouts, especially graduation parties and such," says Devon Musko, a > lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron student. "The main dish is > always meat and most side dishes have meat in them."> Think about > it. The standard fare served at cookouts is hamburgers, hot dogs, pork > and beans, and potato salad with bacon. It's no wonder why vegetarians > dislike cookouts.> > "A lot of the time I will eat prior to > going," says Musko, "I will just snack while I am there so that I > don't look

rude."> But it's not just vegetarians who are avoiding > cookouts. According to a survey conducted by the Harris Interactive > Service Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine, 22.8 million > people say they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.> > This > means that including vegetarians and vegans, about 13 percent of the > U.S. adult population would appreciate a more vegetarian-friendly > spread at summer cookouts. > > Cookout hosts must be aware of the > growing vegetarian trend and offer more options. "No one keeps Boca > burgers or veggie burgers around just in case, vegetarians at cookouts > probably catch people off-guard more than anything," says Akron local > and cookout lover Jesse Leonard.> > Vegetarians won't eat food > that comes into contact with the same surfaces and

utensils as > meat.> Chef Claudia Peck of The Mustard Seed Market and Café > suggests having two separate grills, in order to cook meat on one and > vegetarian-friendly courses on the other. "Something like > veggie-kabobs with peppers, mushrooms, summer squash, and tomatoes > would be great barbequed," says Peck. > > If you don't have two > grills, Chef Peck suggests baking the veggie-friendly dishes in an > oven.> Musko says that having veggie kabobs would be a welcome > surprise. "Nobody has ever done that at any cookout I've been to, but > at camp they would do build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty > cool." > > In order to help make your summer cookout vegetarian > friendly, keep these pointers in mind:> • Make sure there is a wide > variety of food without meat. If you make potato

salad, try it without > bacon and try to have at least one meatless casserole. "Rice dishes > are always good," says Peck. > > • Buy veggie burgers. Most veggie > burgers are vegetarian, so if you are expecting a vegan guest, buy a > box of vegan burgers, like Morningstar Grillers Vegan.> > • Don't > cross-contaminate meat burgers with veggie burgers. Use two grills, a > separate heat-coil grill like a George Foreman grill, or cook > vegetarian dishes inside the house.> > • Always have a vegetable > and fruit tray.> > • If you have any questions about what to > serve, you can always contact your local natural food market, like the > Mustard Seed Market and Café at 330-666-7333.> > > "It is hard for vegetarians to go to summer > cookouts, especially graduation parties

and such," says Devon Musko, a > lifelong vegetarian and University of Akron student. "The main dish is > always meat and most side dishes have meat in them."> Think about > it. The standard fare served at cookouts is hamburgers, hot dogs, pork > and beans, and potato salad with bacon. It's no wonder why vegetarians > dislike cookouts.> "A lot of the time I will eat prior to going," says > Musko, "I will just snack while I am there so that I don't look > rude."> But it's not just vegetarians who are avoiding cookouts. > According to a survey conducted by the Harris Interactive Service > Bureau on behalf of Vegetarian Times magazine, 22.8 million people say > they largely follow a vegetarian-inclined diet.> This means that including vegetarians and vegans, > about 13 percent of the U.S. adult population would appreciate

a more > vegetarian-friendly spread at summer cookouts.> Cookout hosts must be aware of the growing > vegetarian trend and offer more options. "No one keeps Boca burgers or > veggie burgers around just in case, vegetarians at cookouts probably > catch people off-guard more than anything," says Akron local and > cookout lover Jesse Leonard.> Vegetarians won't eat food that comes into contact > with the same surfaces and utensils as meat.> Chef Claudia Peck of > The Mustard Seed Market and Café suggests having two separate grills, > in order to cook meat on one and vegetarian-friendly courses on the > other. "Something like veggie-kabobs with peppers, mushrooms, summer > squash, and tomatoes would be great barbequed," says Peck.> If you don't have two grills, Chef Peck suggests > baking the veggie-friendly dishes in an

oven.> Musko says that > having veggie kabobs would be a welcome surprise. "Nobody has ever > done that at any cookout I've been to, but at camp they would do > build-your-own skewers, and that was pretty cool."> In order to help make your summer cookout > vegetarian friendly, keep these pointers in mind:> • Make sure there > is a wide variety of food without meat. If you make potato salad, try > it without bacon and try to have at least one meatless casserole. > "Rice dishes are always good," says Peck.> • Buy veggie burgers. Most veggie burgers are > vegetarian, so if you are expecting a vegan guest, buy a box of vegan > burgers, like Morningstar Grillers Vegan.> • Don't cross-contaminate meat burgers with veggie > burgers. Use two grills, a separate heat-coil grill like a George > Foreman grill, or cook

vegetarian dishes inside the house.> • Always have a vegetable and fruit tray.> • If you have any questions about what to serve, > you can always contact your local natural food market, like the > Mustard Seed Market and Café at 330-666-7333.> > Page 1 > > > > TO READERS: This story was provided by an > individual or organization for use on the Ohio.com community site, http://www.ohio. com/upublish. We do not > endorse and cannot guarantee the accuracy of this posting, though we > do reject announcements with inappropriate content. You can read our > full user agreement here. > > > > Peter vv> > > Sent from Mail. > A Smarter Email.>

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.