IndiaDivine.org

Veggie Girl: Green — an ode to soy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

From Pheonix New Times :

Tue Jun 24, 2008 at 01:21:38 PM

By Megan Irwin

The Green "Soynami" and peanut tofu = my favorite summer snack.

By now, faithful readers should know plenty about Green, the Valley's best (and, um, only) place to get vegan comfort food. I’ve been trying to write about less well known veggie-friendly restaurants, but I have to pause for a second to sing the praises of what I consider Green’s finest creation: the Soynami.

It’s summer. We live in Phoenix. It’s unbearably hot. One of the joys of living in such a hellishly hot place is that it makes little things — like enjoying ice cream when it’s 115 out — a hundred times more enjoyable. But if you're vegan — or a possibly lactose intolerant vegetarian, like me — your options are pretty limited.

Which is just one more reason why I’m eternally grateful that Green exists.

The Soynami is basically like a Blizzard from Dairy Queen, but uses soy instead of milk. It’s delicious. I’d even venture to say it’s better than ice cream. I’m partial to the Chunky Monkey — a blend of banana, walnuts and chocolate chunks. Recently I tried a new blend of coconut, chocolate and almonds – it was like a frozen blended Almond Joy, and is possibly in the running as my new favorite.

Fun new Green fact: they now feature a tiny vegan market. It’s new since the last time I was in a few months ago, and has all kinds of yummy sweet treats for sale.

Green's new mini-market.

2 Comments:

Sat says:

Not sure I'm willing to wander eastward into the desert during the summer but thanks for the tip on where to eat if/when I make it to Phoenix again.

Posted at: June 24, 2008 3:44 PM

Sean says:

Sounds awesome. I can't believe I still haven't made it out to Green (or Veggie Fun under its previous owners) but this post may finally motivate me. As a vegan for more than three years now I appreciate that restaurants like Green exist where I can confidently order anything on the menu without the added stress of parsing what may or may not contain animal products.

Not sure if they are advertising it or not but Green is now using Teese vegan cheese, yet another reason to check them out soon.

Also, what kind of stuff does Green have in their vegan mini-market? Looks interesting. I remember the International Vegetarian House in Phoenix has a small selection of mock meats (including some interesting mock fish creations) in a similar setup in their restaurant.

A possible idea for a future post: comparing the south Indian restaurants in Tempe (Udupi Cafe, the newly opened Woodlands Vegetarian South Indian, Priya, and Pasand).

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at