could go vegan. However, cats are true carnivores, and it's

extremely difficult for them to eat vegan diets without specific

supplementation (e.g., taurine) so that they thrive and don't

succumb to urinary tract infections and other illnesses. I don't

know anyone (and I have a lot of dedicated vegan friends) who feeds

their cats a vegan diet (or continues to after trying it), though if

it were healthy for them, we all would! That said, dogs can very

easily eat vegan and be healthy, happy and less gassy. Kudos to Alicia

for helping her dogs do the right thing!

Guest guest

I have a kitten :). He will be 2yo in August. I can´t find vegan catfood here, so I have to give him regular catfood. But, guess what, when I have my meals he always comes and eats from my hand whatever I am having, be it broccoli, chickpeas, veg-soup and he likes to chew on dried apricots and whole wheat crackers, rejects junk-food likes candies and stuff, hehe :DBeatriz :)P.S.: I have bird, too. He's a 7 yo parakeet and has always been vegan :D--- On Wed, 6/25/08, yarrow <yarrow wrote:yarrow <yarrowRe: Alicia Silverstone's Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 3:54

PM

I have heard of vegetarian cats. They do need supplements -- the

same supplements that are added to commercial

slaughterhouse- by-product cat food.

At 7:12 PM +0000 6/25/08, Peter VV wrote:

7 Responses to "Alicia Silverstone' s Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The

Flatulence"

1. Rose says on June 24th, 2008 at 1:03 pm

I'm a committed ethical vegan, and I'd love it if my cats

Guest guest

Ooopss, typo: please read "rejects junk-food like candy"His food choices are healthier than mine, lol--- On Wed, 6/25/08, Beatriz <searchingalight wrote:Beatriz <searchingalightRe: Alicia Silverstone's Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 5:02 PM

I have a kitten :). He will be 2yo in August. I can´t find vegan catfood here, so I have to give him regular catfood. But, guess what, when I have my meals he always comes and eats from my hand whatever I am having, be it broccoli, chickpeas, veg-soup and he likes to chew on dried apricots and whole wheat crackers, rejects junk-food likes candies and stuff, hehe :DBeatriz :)P.S.: I have bird, too. He's a 7 yo parakeet and has always been vegan :D--- On Wed, 6/25/08, yarrow <yarrow wrote:yarrow <yarrowRe:

Alicia Silverstone' s Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence@gro ups.comWednesday, June 25, 2008, 3:54

PM

same supplements that are added to commercial

slaughterhouse- by-product cat food.

7 Responses to "Alicia Silverstone' s Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The

Flatulence"

1. Rose says on June 24th, 2008 at 1:03 pm

I'm a committed ethical vegan, and I'd love it if my cats

Guest guest

Beatriz hope these are of some help for you!!

Steve

Evolution Canned Cat Food

Formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO cat food nutrient profiles for all life stages. Comes in two flavors-- Gourmet Entree and Vegetable Stew. Although they are very similar in terms of their ingredients, many cats do seem to have a favorite flavor, so we recommend trying both. Manufactured by a vegan owned company that makes exclusively vegan pet foods (no meat products!). [And yeah, it has taurine in it.]

Vegan Cat Food from Ami - 2 kgAmi Vegan Cat food is a dry ready to serve, complete cat food without any animal ingredients.No supplements required - this food is enriched with all the vitamins and minerals required by cats and also includes essential Taurine.Approved by the UK Vegetarian Society, and many groups within Italy where Ami are based--- On Wed, 25/6/08, Beatriz <searchingalight wrote:

Beatriz <searchingalightRe: Alicia Silverstone's Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence Date: Wednesday, 25 June, 2008, 10:05 PM

Ooopss, typo: please read "rejects junk-food like candy"His food choices are healthier than mine, lol--- On Wed, 6/25/08, Beatriz <searchingalight@ > wrote:

Beatriz <searchingalight@ >Re: Alicia Silverstone' s Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence@gro ups.comWednesday, June 25, 2008, 5:02 PM

I have a kitten :). He will be 2yo in August. I can´t find vegan catfood here, so I have to give him regular catfood. But, guess what, when I have my meals he always comes and eats from my hand whatever I am having, be it broccoli, chickpeas, veg-soup and he likes to chew on dried apricots and whole wheat crackers, rejects junk-food likes candies and stuff, hehe :DBeatriz :)P.S.: I have bird, too. He's a 7 yo parakeet and has always been vegan :D--- On Wed, 6/25/08, yarrow <yarrow wrote:

yarrow <yarrowRe: Alicia Silverstone' s Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence@gro ups.comWednesday, June 25, 2008, 3:54 PM

I have heard of vegetarian cats. They do need supplements -- the same supplements that are added to commercial slaughterhouse- by-product cat food.

7 Responses to "Alicia Silverstone' s Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence"

Rose says on June 24th, 2008 at 1:03 pm

I'm a committed ethical vegan, and I'd love it if my cats could go vegan. However, cats are true carnivores, and it's extremely difficult for them to eat vegan diets without specific supplementation (e.g., taurine) so that they thrive and don't succumb to urinary tract infections and other illnesses. I don't know anyone (and I have a lot of dedicated vegan friends) who feeds their cats a vegan diet (or continues to after trying it), though if it were healthy for them, we all would! That said, dogs can very easily eat vegan and be healthy, happy and less gassy. Kudos to Alicia for helping her dogs do the right thing!

Sent from Mail.

A Smarter Email.

Guest guest

Hi Beatriz

Will your kitten and parakeet get on well together, or do you foresee

any problems? My daughter has a parrot, and three cats, but keeps

the cats in one room and the parrot in another.

Jo

, Beatriz <searchingalight

wrote:

>

>

> I have a kitten :). He will be 2yo in August. I can´t find vegan

catfood here, so I have to give him regular catfood. But, guess what,

when I have my meals he always comes and eats from my hand whatever I

am having, be it broccoli, chickpeas, veg-soup and he likes to chew

on dried apricots and whole wheat crackers, rejects junk-food likes

candies and stuff, hehe :D

>

> Beatriz :)

>

> P.S.: I have bird, too. He's a 7 yo parakeet and has always been

vegan :D

>

>

> --- On Wed, 6/25/08, yarrow <yarrow wrote:

> yarrow <yarrow

> Re: Alicia Silverstone's Dogs Go Vegan, Lose

The Flatulence

>

> Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 3:54 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> same supplements that are added to commercial

> slaughterhouse- by-product cat food.

>

>

> 7 Responses to " Alicia Silverstone' s Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The

> Flatulence "

>

>

> 1.      

> Rose says on June 24th, 2008 at 1:03 pm

>

>

> I'm a committed ethical vegan, and I'd love it if my cats

> could go vegan. However, cats are true carnivores, and it's

> extremely difficult for them to eat vegan diets without specific

> supplementation (e.g., taurine) so that they thrive and don't

> succumb to urinary tract infections and other illnesses. I don't

> know anyone (and I have a lot of dedicated vegan friends) who feeds

> their cats a vegan diet (or continues to after trying it), though if

> it were healthy for them, we all would! That said, dogs can very

> easily eat vegan and be healthy, happy and less gassy. Kudos to

Alicia

> for helping her dogs do the right thing!

>

Guest guest

Hi Jo :)To be honest, to be very very honest, I pondered a lot before I dared bringing the kitten into my home a year and a half ago, as I already had the bird and of course did not want to endanger him in any way.In the beginning, well, there were a few episodes, once kitten made the cage tumble, bird paniked.Every now and then kitten likes to sit on the top of the cageBut seems that doesnt bother the bird anymore and they kind of became friends. Of course I dont risk letting the bird out of the cage and kitten put his paws on him...hehBesides that it's usually peaceful :)Cheers,Beatriz--- On Thu, 6/26/08, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:heartwerk

<jo.heartwork Re: Alicia Silverstone's Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence Date: Thursday, June 26, 2008, 2:40 AM

Hi Beatriz

Will your kitten and parakeet get on well together, or do you foresee

any problems? My daughter has a parrot, and three cats, but keeps

the cats in one room and the parrot in another.

Jo

@gro ups.com, Beatriz <searchingalight@ ...>

wrote:

>

>

> I have a kitten :). He will be 2yo in August. I can´t find vegan

catfood here, so I have to give him regular catfood. But, guess what,

when I have my meals he always comes and eats from my hand whatever I

am having, be it broccoli, chickpeas, veg-soup and he likes to chew

on dried apricots and whole wheat crackers, rejects junk-food likes

candies and stuff, hehe :D

>

> Beatriz :)

>

> P.S.: I have bird, too. He's a 7 yo parakeet and has always been

vegan :D

Guest guest

Thanks, Steve, so thoughtful of You!I will try and see if I find this. Not available at regular supermarkets, so I'll have to do some digging. Until then I will just have to manage with what I have.But, You know the vegan community is much stronger in UK than in Portugal. Actually I don't think there is such thing here. Certain things such as vegan-petfood, or whatever I will just not find here, the market is not yet strong enough. And then when or if something occasionally comes into the market, it is so prohibitively expensive, that it will soon be discontinued. Not to mention the 21% taxes that it gets on, as it may be considered a luxury item.If life gives you lemons... well, can't make petfood outta lemons, lol.My kitten would tell me: Are You nuts, Beatriz??? I aint gonna it that crap, gimme chickpeas

instead.Cheers,Beatriz--- On Wed, 6/25/08, stephen hawkey <stedhawk wrote:stephen hawkey <stedhawkRe: Alicia Silverstone's Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 5:25 PM

Steve

Formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO cat food nutrient profiles for all life stages. Comes in two flavors-- Gourmet Entree and Vegetable Stew. Although they are very similar in terms of their ingredients, many cats do seem to have a favorite flavor, so we recommend trying both. Manufactured by a vegan owned company that makes exclusively vegan pet foods (no meat products!). [And yeah, it has taurine in it.]

Vegan Cat Food from Ami - 2 kgAmi Vegan Cat food is a dry ready to serve, complete cat food without any animal ingredients.No supplements required - this food is enriched with all the vitamins and minerals required by cats and also includes essential Taurine.Approved by the UK Vegetarian Society, and many groups within Italy where Ami are based

Guest guest

mmm chickpeas

can you order the petfood online in your area, or is it prohibitively expensive?

Beatriz Jun 26, 2008 4:11 AM Re: Alicia Silverstone's Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence

Thanks, Steve, so thoughtful of You!I will try and see if I find this. Not available at regular supermarkets, so I'll have to do some digging. Until then I will just have to manage with what I have.But, You know the vegan community is much stronger in UK than in Portugal. Actually I don't think there is such thing here. Certain things such as vegan-petfood, or whatever I will just not find here, the market is not yet strong enough. And then when or if something occasionally comes into the market, it is so prohibitively expensive, that it will soon be discontinued. Not to mention the 21% taxes that it gets on, as it may be considered a luxury item.If life gives you lemons... well, can't make petfood outta lemons, lol.My kitten would tell me: Are You nuts, Beatriz??? I aint gonna it that crap, gimme chickpeas instead.Cheers,Beatriz--- On Wed, 6/25/08, stephen hawkey <stedhawk (AT) (DOT) co.uk> wrote:

stephen hawkey <stedhawk (AT) (DOT) co.uk>Re: Alicia Silverstone's Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 5:25 PM

Steve

Vegan Cat Food from Ami - 2 kgAmi Vegan Cat food is a dry ready to serve, complete cat food without any animal ingredients.No supplements required - this food is enriched with all the vitamins and minerals required by cats and also includes essential Taurine.Approved by the UK Vegetarian Society, and many groups within Italy where Ami are based

“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Guest guest

It never occured to me, but with the s/h charges???But I will look into it, thanks for pointing that out.--- On Thu, 6/26/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRe: Alicia Silverstone's Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence Date: Thursday, June 26, 2008, 1:40 PM

mmm chickpeas

can you order the petfood online in your area, or is it prohibitively expensive?

Beatriz Jun 26, 2008 4:11 AM @gro ups.com Re: Alicia Silverstone' s Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence

Thanks, Steve, so thoughtful of You!I will try and see if I find this. Not available at regular supermarkets, so I'll have to do some digging. Until then I will just have to manage with what I have.But, You know the vegan community is much stronger in UK than in Portugal. Actually I don't think there is such thing here. Certain things such as vegan-petfood, or whatever I will just not find here, the market is not yet strong enough. And then when or if something occasionally comes into the market, it is so prohibitively expensive, that it will soon be discontinued. Not to mention the 21% taxes that it gets on, as it may be considered a luxury item.If life gives you lemons... well, can't make petfood outta lemons, lol.My kitten would tell me: Are You nuts, Beatriz??? I aint gonna it that crap, gimme chickpeas instead.Cheers,Beatriz--- On Wed, 6/25/08, stephen hawkey

<stedhawk (AT) (DOT) co.uk> wrote:

stephen hawkey <stedhawk (AT) (DOT) co.uk>Re: Alicia Silverstone' s Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence@gro ups.comWednesday, June 25, 2008, 5:25 PM

Steve

“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.” - Bill Moyers

Guest guest

Hi Beatriz

That sounds good - I think birds usually get used to other animals, and cats don't seem to be afraid of anything much. :-)

Jo

-

Beatriz

Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:26 AM

Re: Re: Alicia Silverstone's Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence

Hi Jo :)To be honest, to be very very honest, I pondered a lot before I dared bringing the kitten into my home a year and a half ago, as I already had the bird and of course did not want to endanger him in any way.In the beginning, well, there were a few episodes, once kitten made the cage tumble, bird paniked.Every now and then kitten likes to sit on the top of the cageBut seems that doesnt bother the bird anymore and they kind of became friends. Of course I dont risk letting the bird out of the cage and kitten put his paws on him...hehBesides that it's usually peaceful :)Cheers,Beatriz--- On Thu, 6/26/08, heartwerk <jo.heartwork > wrote:

heartwerk <jo.heartwork > Re: Alicia Silverstone's Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence Date: Thursday, June 26, 2008, 2:40 AM

Hi BeatrizWill your kitten and parakeet get on well together, or do you foresee any problems? My daughter has a parrot, and three cats, but keeps the cats in one room and the parrot in another.Jo@gro ups.com, Beatriz <searchingalight@ ...> wrote:>> > I have a kitten :). He will be 2yo in August. I can´t find vegan catfood here, so I have to give him regular catfood. But, guess what, when I have my meals he always comes and eats from my hand whatever I am having, be it broccoli, chickpeas, veg-soup and he likes to chew on dried apricots and whole wheat crackers, rejects junk-food likes candies and stuff, hehe :D> > Beatriz :)> > P.S.: I have bird, too. He's a 7 yo parakeet and has always been vegan :D

Guest guest

Hi Beatriz

Sorry to hear it is awkward for vegans in Portugal. You do what you can though, which is good.

Jo

-

Beatriz

Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:11 PM

Re: Alicia Silverstone's Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence

Thanks, Steve, so thoughtful of You!I will try and see if I find this. Not available at regular supermarkets, so I'll have to do some digging. Until then I will just have to manage with what I have.But, You know the vegan community is much stronger in UK than in Portugal. Actually I don't think there is such thing here. Certain things such as vegan-petfood, or whatever I will just not find here, the market is not yet strong enough. And then when or if something occasionally comes into the market, it is so prohibitively expensive, that it will soon be discontinued. Not to mention the 21% taxes that it gets on, as it may be considered a luxury item.If life gives you lemons... well, can't make petfood outta lemons, lol.My kitten would tell me: Are You nuts, Beatriz??? I aint gonna it that crap, gimme chickpeas instead.Cheers,Beatriz--- On Wed, 6/25/08, stephen hawkey <stedhawk (AT) (DOT) co.uk> wrote:

stephen hawkey <stedhawk (AT) (DOT) co.uk>Re: Alicia Silverstone's Dogs Go Vegan, Lose The Flatulence Date: Wednesday, June 25, 2008, 5:25 PM

Steve