IndiaDivine.org

Green Eats: Sating that Vegan Sweet Tooth

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thu Jun 26, 2008 at 02:01:16 PM

By Catherine McCulloch

Most vegetarians I know try going vegan at one point in their lives. I am one of those vegetarians. My greatest struggle in becoming a vegan was giving up breads and pastries. Needless to say, I didn’t last more than a week. However, during that brief stint, I became addicted to vegan cookies and other vegan baked goods.

A love for San Francisco cuisine combined with a passion for vegan pastries motivated me to poke around for a vegan bakery in the city. Sadly my search was not as successful as I had hoped it would be. All of the vegan/vegan-friendly bakeries that I had discovered over the course of my research have apparently closed! I was left stranded in the most vegan friendly city in the US with no dairy-free and egg-free goodies!

Feeling zapped of energy and on a general sugar low I decided to head over to my favorite coffee shop, Ritual Roasters. Upon walking through the door I remembered why Ritual is my favorite coffee shop: it carries delicious vegan treats! Vegan donuts, vegan pound cake, vegan cupcakes…..! My mouth began to water. I ordered a slice of the apple cinnamon dessert bread. It was quite scrumptious - a little too dry, but perfect when paired with coffee. (I had previously tried the strawberry bread and it was perfectly moist! I have yet to sample the donuts but I've heard that they are a no-go).

I then headed over to the Arizmendi Bakery Cooperative. This is a worker-owned cooperative bakery located in Inner Sunset close to the de Young and only two blocks from Golden Gate Park. I usually go to its sister cooperative in Berkeley for its gourmet pizza (the pizza at Arizmendi can be custom made without dairy if you call the restaurant in advance). Though Arizmendi is not a vegan bakery it makes the effort to always offer vegan muffins, cookies and breads.

After looking through all of the assorted baked goods I decided to purchase an almond apricot cookie. It was so packed with grains, nuts, and dried fruit that I felt like I had eaten an entire meal afterwards. Overall a delicious cookie, but it was more like a home-made health bar than a delicate morsel.

Running out of options and afraid that I was never going to find a vegan bakery that could meet my needs, I drove back to my home in the East Bay and holed up at the mostly-vegan Nabolom Bakery. Nabolom had all of the fixings of a standard quality bakery: a variety of baked goods, freshness and the pervasive smell of baked bread.

The bakery had seven different vegan muffins to choose from: Chocolate Chip, Cranberry Walnut, Banana Oat-Bran, Blackberry Walnut, Blueberry Bran, Raisin Bran, and Cherry Bran.

There were vegan cookies the size of my head: Snikerdoodle, Double Chocolate and Oatmeal Raisin. The bakery also sells vegan multi grain bread and a chocolate mousse pie (you can special order a vegan chocolate cake). I sampled their Sugar-Free Vegan Walnut Blackberry muffin and Double Chocolate cookie. The muffin was fresh and hearty and the cookie was absolutely perfect! Finally a Chocolate Vegan Cookie that doesn’t taste like chalk!

Honestly, your best bet in finding vegan pastries in San Francisco is to go to grocery stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. Any other organic or natural food markets are likely to carry vegan sweets (Rainbow grocery, a vegetarian cooperative grocery store, will definitely have vegan pastries). Also, many local and chain cafés in the Bay Area offer vegan goods (the ginger vegan cookie at Peet’s Coffee & Tea is to die for). Vegan and vegan friendly restaurants are sure fire ways of locating tasty animal-product free treats (try Herbivore and Café Gratitude). If you're desperate and need to by vegan goods in bulk the internet offers a wide range of choices of bakeries that you can order from online.

If anyone knows of any vegan/vegan friendly bakeries in San Francisco please post a comment. Thanks!

2 Comments:

Erin says:

People's Donuts makes delicious blueberry, sprinkle, glazed, chocolate, maple, lemon poppyseed, and other varieties of donut.Herbivore locations in SF and Berkeley carry them, as does Berkeley Bowl, Whole Foods, and a couple other places. They are based out of Eclair Bakery on Telegraph at Dwight in Berkeley, and they're super cheap and are truly amazing. Hands-down, they beat any non-vegan donuts every time!

There are even options for vegan wedding cakes in the Bay Area -- check out Millenium in SF for the most decadent cakes you'll ever taste!

Thanks for making my mouth water with your post about the phenomenal vegan pastries and desserts available in the Bay Area!

Posted at: June 27, 2008 8:49 AM

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

try vegan cupcakes take over the world. The recipes are realy easy and so so yummy. :)Peter VV <swpgh01 Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 2:53:22 PMRe: Green Eats: Sating that Vegan Sweet Tooth

By Catherine McCulloch

Most vegetarians I know try going vegan at one point in their lives. I am one of those vegetarians. My greatest struggle in becoming a vegan was giving up breads and pastries. Needless to say, I didn’t last more than a week. However, during that brief stint, I became addicted to vegan cookies and other vegan baked goods.

A love for San Francisco cuisine combined with a passion for vegan pastries motivated me to poke around for a vegan bakery in the city. Sadly my search was not as successful as I had hoped it would be. All of the vegan/vegan- friendly bakeries that I had discovered over the course of my research have apparently closed! I was left stranded in the most vegan friendly city in the US with no dairy-free and egg-free goodies!

Feeling zapped of energy and on a general sugar low I decided to head over to my favorite coffee shop, Ritual Roasters. Upon walking through the door I remembered why Ritual is my favorite coffee shop: it carries delicious vegan treats! Vegan donuts, vegan pound cake, vegan cupcakes…..! My mouth began to water. I ordered a slice of the apple cinnamon dessert bread. It was quite scrumptious - a little too dry, but perfect when paired with coffee. (I had previously tried the strawberry bread and it was perfectly moist! I have yet to sample the donuts but I've heard that they are a no-go).

I then headed over to the Arizmendi Bakery Cooperative. This is a worker-owned cooperative bakery located in Inner Sunset close to the de Young and only two blocks from Golden Gate Park. I usually go to its sister cooperative in Berkeley for its gourmet pizza (the pizza at Arizmendi can be custom made without dairy if you call the restaurant in advance). Though Arizmendi is not a vegan bakery it makes the effort to always offer vegan muffins, cookies and breads.

After looking through all of the assorted baked goods I decided to purchase an almond apricot cookie. It was so packed with grains, nuts, and dried fruit that I felt like I had eaten an entire meal afterwards. Overall a delicious cookie, but it was more like a home-made health bar than a delicate morsel.

Running out of options and afraid that I was never going to find a vegan bakery that could meet my needs, I drove back to my home in the East Bay and holed up at the mostly-vegan Nabolom Bakery. Nabolom had all of the fixings of a standard quality bakery: a variety of baked goods, freshness and the pervasive smell of baked bread.

The bakery had seven different vegan muffins to choose from: Chocolate Chip, Cranberry Walnut, Banana Oat-Bran, Blackberry Walnut, Blueberry Bran, Raisin Bran, and Cherry Bran.

There were vegan cookies the size of my head: Snikerdoodle, Double Chocolate and Oatmeal Raisin. The bakery also sells vegan multi grain bread and a chocolate mousse pie (you can special order a vegan chocolate cake). I sampled their Sugar-Free Vegan Walnut Blackberry muffin and Double Chocolate cookie. The muffin was fresh and hearty and the cookie was absolutely perfect! Finally a Chocolate Vegan Cookie that doesn’t taste like chalk!

Honestly, your best bet in finding vegan pastries in San Francisco is to go to grocery stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. Any other organic or natural food markets are likely to carry vegan sweets (Rainbow grocery, a vegetarian cooperative grocery store, will definitely have vegan pastries). Also, many local and chain cafés in the Bay Area offer vegan goods (the ginger vegan cookie at Peet’s Coffee & Tea is to die for). Vegan and vegan friendly restaurants are sure fire ways of locating tasty animal-product free treats (try Herbivore and Café Gratitude). If you're desperate and need to by vegan goods in bulk the internet offers a wide range of choices of bakeries that you can order from online.

If anyone knows of any vegan/vegan friendly bakeries in San Francisco please post a comment. Thanks!

2 Comments:

Erin says:

People's Donuts makes delicious blueberry, sprinkle, glazed, chocolate, maple, lemon poppyseed, and other varieties of donut.Herbivore locations in SF and Berkeley carry them, as does Berkeley Bowl, Whole Foods, and a couple other places. They are based out of Eclair Bakery on Telegraph at Dwight in Berkeley, and they're super cheap and are truly amazing. Hands-down, they beat any non-vegan donuts every time!

There are even options for vegan wedding cakes in the Bay Area -- check out Millenium in SF for the most decadent cakes you'll ever taste!

Thanks for making my mouth water with your post about the phenomenal vegan pastries and desserts available in the Bay Area!

Peter vv

Guest guest

pheh

person didn't try very hard..hahahahah

you can get vegan pastries all over the bay area...whole foods, rainbow, etc....every vegan restaurant i can think of carries vegan desserts...

the carrot cake over at golden lotus is delic!

Peter VV Jun 27, 2008 3:53 PM Re: Green Eats: Sating that Vegan Sweet Tooth

By Catherine McCulloch

A love for San Francisco cuisine combined with a passion for vegan pastries motivated me to poke around for a vegan bakery in the city. Sadly my search was not as successful as I had hoped it would be. All of the vegan/vegan-friendly bakeries that I had discovered over the course of my research have apparently closed! I was left stranded in the most vegan friendly city in the US with no dairy-free and egg-free goodies!

2 Comments:

Erin says:

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Guest guest

if i had a hero, Isa Moskowitz would definately be in the running!

Heather Farlow Jun 27, 2008 3:56 PM Re: Green Eats: Sating that Vegan Sweet Tooth

try vegan cupcakes take over the world. The recipes are realy easy and so so yummy. :)

Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 2:53:22 PMRe: Green Eats: Sating that Vegan Sweet Tooth

By Catherine McCulloch

A love for San Francisco cuisine combined with a passion for vegan pastries motivated me to poke around for a vegan bakery in the city. Sadly my search was not as successful as I had hoped it would be. All of the vegan/vegan- friendly bakeries that I had discovered over the course of my research have apparently closed! I was left stranded in the most vegan friendly city in the US with no dairy-free and egg-free goodies!

2 Comments:

Erin says:

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

“We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Guest guest

just shut the up and send me some, grrrrrrrrrrr

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Friday, 27 June, 2008 9:04:06 PMRe: Green Eats: Sating that Vegan Sweet Tooth

pheh

you can get vegan pastries all over the bay area...whole foods, rainbow, etc....every vegan restaurant i can think of carries vegan desserts...

Peter VV Jun 27, 2008 3:53 PM @gro ups.com Re: Green Eats: Sating that Vegan Sweet Tooth

By Catherine McCulloch

2 Comments:

Erin says:

Peter vv

Guest guest

they'd be a might stale i'm sad to say by the time they got to welshieland tho...

head to the kitchen my man! get to baking! make yer own! yummers!!!

Peter VV Jun 27, 2008 4:18 PM Re: Green Eats: Sating that Vegan Sweet Tooth

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Friday, 27 June, 2008 9:04:06 PMRe: Green Eats: Sating that Vegan Sweet Tooth

pheh

Peter VV Jun 27, 2008 3:53 PM @gro ups.com Re: Green Eats: Sating that Vegan Sweet Tooth

By Catherine McCulloch

2 Comments:

Erin says:

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at “We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers

Guest guest

I cant believe you used the word yummers!

you kids and your funny language.............

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Friday, 27 June, 2008 9:29:58 PMRe: Green Eats: Sating that Vegan Sweet Tooth

they'd be a might stale i'm sad to say by the time they got to welshieland tho...

head to the kitchen my man! get to baking! make yer own! yummers!!!

Peter VV Jun 27, 2008 4:18 PM @gro ups.com Re: Green Eats: Sating that Vegan Sweet Tooth

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comFriday, 27 June, 2008 9:04:06 PMRe: Green Eats: Sating that Vegan Sweet Tooth

pheh

By Catherine McCulloch

2 Comments:

Erin says:

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at “We now know that a neo-conservative is an arsonist who sets the house on fire and six years later boasts that no one can put it out.†- Bill Moyers