IndiaDivine.org

Question about amt. of roman gods here

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Gaya

I think that's the inevitable consequence of religions which believe that there is only one right way. The more tolerant members will try to find ways that other religions are really the same as theirs, rather than just accept that people have different ways of looking at life.

BB

Peter

-

Gayalondiel

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 10:31 AM

Re: Re: Question about amt. of roman gods here

Hi Peter,

That really depends on who you talk to. I remember going to a wonderful theological lecture at Uni where one of our professors posited a model in which the major monotheistic and polytheistic religions were all images of the same basic tenets of faith, but some were closer to a sharp focus than others. (This was a Christian lecturer, so the focus given was Christianity in focus, then Judaism the next closest, then Islam, and I forget what order the other ones were.) I can't for the life of me find an online reference to this model, but it's a nice idea.

Gaya :)

On 7/2/08, Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Beatriz

I think that depends very much on who you talk to. Muslims may believe that Allah is the same as the Christian god, but Christians certainly don't. Same with Christians and Jews. Hindus are a mix, although mostly still believe in a whole pantheon of deities...

BB

Peter

-

Beatriz

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 11:30 AM

Hi Peter,Please allow me to cut in.Different cultures, same God, different name, well, it's happening right now:God, Jehovah, Allah,... even the Hindus, known to be politeistic, actually have only one God. All other "gods" are demi-gods, maybe the equivalent to the saints in christian religions... If I got that right, of course :PCheers,Beatriz--- On Tue, 7/1/08, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarabRe: Re: Question about amt. of roman gods here Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 6:00 AM

Hi PeterIt's a great question, with just one problem... at what point has thisactually happened? I'm not aware of any two cultures who have had thesame gods with different names. There have been several cultures thathave had gods with similar job descriptions as those in othercultures, but they're not the same gods.BBPeterOn 30/06/2008, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:> whoa, rewind, the question was how could two religions start at the same> time (greek & roman) and have the same gods with different names.One must> have preceded the other surely?, so which is the older?> ......and what are the elder gods?> didnt nomadic tribes have a more simplified belief system ( worship the sky> god, sort of thing) so why have so many as the greeks and romans did?

-- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson

Guest guest

Hi Peter

I disagree - monotheism is not just something that popped into existance overnight but something that developed over an extremely long time. Judaism and Christianity and Islam at least are all rooted in common elements, although the modes and methods of belief differ I don't think you can write off that they all have a common ancestry any more than you can write off that modern European languages have, to greater and lesser degrees, roots in a common ancestor. To write it off as people just wanting to avoid conflict is to brush aside hundreds of years of theological development and study, which strikes me as folly.

G

Hi Gaya

I think that's the inevitable consequence of religions which believe that there is only one right way. The more tolerant members will try to find ways that other religions are really the same as theirs, rather than just accept that people have different ways of looking at life.

BB

Peter

-

Gayalondiel

Hi Peter,

That really depends on who you talk to. I remember going to a wonderful theological lecture at Uni where one of our professors posited a model in which the major monotheistic and polytheistic religions were all images of the same basic tenets of faith, but some were closer to a sharp focus than others. (This was a Christian lecturer, so the focus given was Christianity in focus, then Judaism the next closest, then Islam, and I forget what order the other ones were.) I can't for the life of me find an online reference to this model, but it's a nice idea.

Hi Beatriz

I think that depends very much on who you talk to. Muslims may believe that Allah is the same as the Christian god, but Christians certainly don't. Same with Christians and Jews. Hindus are a mix, although mostly still believe in a whole pantheon of deities...

BB

Peter

-

Beatriz

Hi Peter,Please allow me to cut in.Different cultures, same God, different name, well, it's happening right now:God, Jehovah, Allah,... even the Hindus, known to be politeistic, actually have only one God. All other " gods " are demi-gods, maybe the equivalent to the saints in christian religions... If I got that right, of course :P

Cheers,Beatriz--- On Tue, 7/1/08, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab

Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 6:00 AM

Hi PeterIt's a great question, with just one problem... at what point has thisactually happened? I'm not aware of any two cultures who have had thesame gods with different names. There have been several cultures that

have had gods with similar job descriptions as those in othercultures, but they're not the same gods.BBPeterOn 30/06/2008, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

> whoa, rewind, the question was how could two religions start at the same> time (greek & roman) and have the same gods with different names.One must> have preceded the other surely?, so which is the older?

> ......and what are the elder gods?> didnt nomadic tribes have a more simplified belief system ( worship the sky> god, sort of thing) so why have so many as the greeks and romans did?

-- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654

e: maddy.anderson

-- Ms Madeline J Anderson

t: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson

Guest guest

Hi Gaya

I disagree... of course the three major monotheistic religions have common routes. But to suggest that they are basically the same is to brush off the long history of all three religions - the crusades, the ghettoisation, the pogroms, etc. etc. It is only a very modern Western perspective that these religions have a great deal on common, and is a perspective that brushes off two fairly horrific millennia in which all three were absolutely insistent that they weren't the same thing at all!

Anyway, probably best if you want to continue this discussion to do so off-list, as I sense it could put some people's backs up, and so probably best not carried on here :-)

BB

Peter

-

Gayalondiel

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 11:07 AM

Hi Peter

I disagree - monotheism is not just something that popped into existance overnight but something that developed over an extremely long time. Judaism and Christianity and Islam at least are all rooted in common elements, although the modes and methods of belief differ I don't think you can write off that they all have a common ancestry any more than you can write off that modern European languages have, to greater and lesser degrees, roots in a common ancestor. To write it off as people just wanting to avoid conflict is to brush aside hundreds of years of theological development and study, which strikes me as folly.

G

Hi Gaya

BB

Peter

-

Gayalondiel

Hi Peter,

Hi Beatriz

BB

Peter

-

Beatriz

Hi Peter,Please allow me to cut in.Different cultures, same God, different name, well, it's happening right now:God, Jehovah, Allah,... even the Hindus, known to be politeistic, actually have only one God. All other "gods" are demi-gods, maybe the equivalent to the saints in christian religions... If I got that right, of course :PCheers,Beatriz--- On Tue, 7/1/08, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarabRe: Re: Question about amt. of roman gods here Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 6:00 AM

Hi PeterIt's a great question, with just one problem... at what point has thisactually happened? I'm not aware of any two cultures who have had thesame gods with different names. There have been several cultures thathave had gods with similar job descriptions as those in othercultures, but they're not the same gods.BBPeterOn 30/06/2008, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:> whoa, rewind, the question was how could two religions start at the same> time (greek & roman) and have the same gods with different names.One must> have preceded the other surely?, so which is the older?> ......and what are the elder gods?> didnt nomadic tribes have a more simplified belief system ( worship the sky> god, sort of thing) so why have so many as the greeks and romans did?

Guest guest

TBH I think elements of both our perspectives are true. But I haven't the energy to discuss this in depth anyway, so let's just leave it there.

Hi Gaya

I disagree... of course the three major monotheistic religions have common routes. But to suggest that they are basically the same is to brush off the long history of all three religions - the crusades, the ghettoisation, the pogroms, etc. etc. It is only a very modern Western perspective that these religions have a great deal on common, and is a perspective that brushes off two fairly horrific millennia in which all three were absolutely insistent that they weren't the same thing at all!

Anyway, probably best if you want to continue this discussion to do so off-list, as I sense it could put some people's backs up, and so probably best not carried on here :-)

BB

Peter

-

Gayalondiel

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 11:07 AM

Hi Peter

G

Hi Gaya

BB

Peter

-

Gayalondiel

Hi Peter,

Hi Beatriz

BB

Peter

-

Beatriz

Hi Peter,Please allow me to cut in.Different cultures, same God, different name, well, it's happening right now:God, Jehovah, Allah,... even the Hindus, known to be politeistic, actually have only one God. All other " gods " are demi-gods, maybe the equivalent to the saints in christian religions... If I got that right, of course :P

Cheers,Beatriz--- On Tue, 7/1/08, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab

Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 6:00 AM

Hi PeterIt's a great question, with just one problem... at what point has thisactually happened? I'm not aware of any two cultures who have had thesame gods with different names. There have been several cultures that

have had gods with similar job descriptions as those in othercultures, but they're not the same gods.BBPeterOn 30/06/2008, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

> whoa, rewind, the question was how could two religions start at the same> time (greek & roman) and have the same gods with different names.One must> have preceded the other surely?, so which is the older?

> ......and what are the elder gods?> didnt nomadic tribes have a more simplified belief system ( worship the sky> god, sort of thing) so why have so many as the greeks and romans did?

-- Ms Madeline J Anderson

t: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson

Guest guest

Hi Peter / Beatriz

I checked with some Hindu friends at work, and they believe in many gods. I think the term demi god' may be used by people from monotheistic religions who can't understand the idea of lots of gods, and therefore presume that one god must be over all the others - that's my opinion anyway.

BBJo

-

Peter

Wednesday, July 02, 2008 9:55 AM

Hi Beatriz

BB

Peter

-

Beatriz

Hi Peter,Please allow me to cut in.Different cultures, same God, different name, well, it's happening right now:God, Jehovah, Allah,... even the Hindus, known to be politeistic, actually have only one God. All other "gods" are demi-gods, maybe the equivalent to the saints in christian religions... If I got that right, of course :PCheers,Beatriz--- On Tue, 7/1/08, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab > wrote:

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab >Re: Re: Question about amt. of roman gods here Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 6:00 AM