IndiaDivine.org

Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

July 2, 2008

Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too By Sandi Beasonsandi.beasonHer blog will make your mouth water, even if you're not a vegan. Susan Voisin is a self-described "health-conscious vegan who likes good food." Her friends and fans will tell you she's being modest, that she's a great cook and a fantastic blogger. Her blog, Fatfree Vegan Kitchen, is filled with photos and recipes from her kitchen: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com "It's a good way to have a more personal take on recipes," she said. It began simply, in December 2005, and "within a couple of months I was getting a good bit of traffic, and then it's just grown." Among her followers is the man who inspired her, Dr. John McDougal, whose books promote the health and lifestyle benefits of eliminating animal products from your diet. Voisin was invited to participate in a vegan cooking demonstration in California in connection with McDougal's programs. "I was thrilled when they contacted me," she said. "They have a wellness center in California where they have workshops and a live-in facility to come out and learn to eat this way. They invited a bunch of cookbook authors and a chef from the most famous vegan restaurant in the country, and me, to come out and give a demonstration." Her friend Sarah Campbell wasn't surprised that Voisin was invited. "She's got some fabulous recipes out there and the photography is beautiful," Campbell said. "People enjoy seeing the visual as well as the recipes. ... She has gotten a lot of good attention nationally from it, and the blog has attracted a following on its own right." Among the most popular recipes are the Vegan Omelette for One (using tofu), My Favorite Lasagna, Easy Macaroni and Cheeze and Ridiculously Easy Lunchbox Enchilada Casserole, among others. "I became a vegetarian in 1988, really for health reasons," Voisin said. "I thought I could lose weight. As I got into it, I discovered that I did not want to eat animals anyway. I loved animals, and I felt like for my own sake, eating them was not something I needed to do." Creating each recipe was another delicious step for Voisin on her healthy lifestyle journey. Along the way, she lost 100 pounds. She has more energy. She and her daughter rarely get sick. "My cholesterol levels and blood pressure levels are all good, and when I exercise, they are really low, which tells you the importance of exercise, too." There are two schools of thought behind becoming a vegan, she said. "You can jump right in or do it gradually. You have to decide what's better for you. Most people say the gradual change is best. Try to take some of your favorite recipes that are naturally vegetarian and start centering your meals around those." If you like barbecued beans, "take the recipe and try leaving out the pork. Add other things you think of as side dishes." Or take things like spaghetti and cut out the meat. "Susan's story is inspiring to me as I work to make a creative life and be a mother at the same time," Campbell said. "I feel like hers is a great story of doing this from her house with her own materials and talents and sharing it with the world."

Peter vv_,_._,___

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

Spicy Roasted Eggplant Spread

Middle East meets Southwest in this wrap I concocted on the spur of the moment last night. I'd thrown an eggplant into the toaster oven to roast, intending to make my standard baba ganoush, but just before it was done I realized that I was all out of pita bread. Since our hearts were set on sandwiches, D and I decided we'd make wraps with whole wheat tortillas instead. Tortillas made me think of Mexican food, and one thing led to another and soon I was substituting lime juice for lemon, adding chipotle chili powder, and tossing in a handful of grape tomatoes. Though I had no idea what to call it anymore, the results were a tantalizing blend of creamy, smoky, and spicy. "Spicy Roasted Eggplant Spread" will have to do.Spicy Roasted Eggplant Spread(printer-friendly version)1 eggplant2 cloves garlicjuice of 1/2 lime1 tablespoon tahini1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)1/4 teaspoon cumin1/8 - 1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper (to taste)1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoesPreheat oven to 400F. Prick eggplant several times with fork. Place it on a baking sheet and roast until it is completely tender and sunken in on top, from 30 to 45 minutes. (I do this in a toaster oven to avoid heating up the kitchen.) Remove from oven and allow to cool enough to peel. Cut off the top and remove the peel.With the food processor running, drop in the garlic and process until minced. Add the eggplant and all remaining ingredients except the tomatoes. Puree until fairly smooth. Add the tomatoes and pulse to chop coarsely. Serve in tortillas with lettuce, tomatoes, jalapeño peppers, red onions, or your own choice of vegetables.Makes about 2 servings. Per serving: 123 Calories (kcal); 5g Total Fat; (30% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 553mg Sodium; 7g Fiber. Weight Watchers 2 Flex Points. (This analysis is for the eggplant filling only, not the tortilla or vegetables.)Note: This recipe makes about enough to fill three smallish (7-inch) tortillas. After we'd each had one, D and I were still hungry, and rather than fight over the remaining filling, I extended it by adding chickpeas and extra spices and tomatoes. The results were still delicious--and a little more filling than the plain eggplant version--so if you're looking for a dip or spread with more ummph (and protein) just add about 1 can of chickpeas (drained) along with the eggplant and double the tahini, lime juice, seasonings, and tomatoes. The nutritional info for 4 servings would then be: 191 Calories (kcal); 6g Total Fat; (26% calories from fat); 8g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 553mg Sodium; 6g Fiber. Weight Watchers 4 Flex Points.

Peter VV Jul 2, 2008 1:02 PM Re: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

July 2, 2008

Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too By Sandi Beasonsandi.beason (AT) jackson (DOT) gannett.comHer blog will make your mouth water, even if you're not a vegan. Susan Voisin is a self-described "health-conscious vegan who likes good food." Her friends and fans will tell you she's being modest, that she's a great cook and a fantastic blogger. Her blog, Fatfree Vegan Kitchen, is filled with photos and recipes from her kitchen: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com "It's a good way to have a more personal take on recipes," she said. It began simply, in December 2005, and "within a couple of months I was getting a good bit of traffic, and then it's just grown." Among her followers is the man who inspired her, Dr. John McDougal, whose books promote the health and lifestyle benefits of eliminating animal products from your diet. Voisin was invited to participate in a vegan cooking demonstration in California in connection with McDougal's programs. "I was thrilled when they contacted me," she said. "They have a wellness center in California where they have workshops and a live-in facility to come out and learn to eat this way. They invited a bunch of cookbook authors and a chef from the most famous vegan restaurant in the country, and me, to come out and give a demonstration." Her friend Sarah Campbell wasn't surprised that Voisin was invited. "She's got some fabulous recipes out there and the photography is beautiful," Campbell said. "People enjoy seeing the visual as well as the recipes. ... She has gotten a lot of good attention nationally from it, and the blog has attracted a following on its own right." Among the most popular recipes are the Vegan Omelette for One (using tofu), My Favorite Lasagna, Easy Macaroni and Cheeze and Ridiculously Easy Lunchbox Enchilada Casserole, among others. "I became a vegetarian in 1988, really for health reasons," Voisin said. "I thought I could lose weight. As I got into it, I discovered that I did not want to eat animals anyway. I loved animals, and I felt like for my own sake, eating them was not something I needed to do." Creating each recipe was another delicious step for Voisin on her healthy lifestyle journey. Along the way, she lost 100 pounds. She has more energy. She and her daughter rarely get sick. "My cholesterol levels and blood pressure levels are all good, and when I exercise, they are really low, which tells you the importance of exercise, too." There are two schools of thought behind becoming a vegan, she said. "You can jump right in or do it gradually. You have to decide what's better for you. Most people say the gradual change is best. Try to take some of your favorite recipes that are naturally vegetarian and start centering your meals around those." If you like barbecued beans, "take the recipe and try leaving out the pork. Add other things you think of as side dishes." Or take things like spaghetti and cut out the meat. "Susan's story is inspiring to me as I work to make a creative life and be a mother at the same time," Campbell said. "I feel like hers is a great story of doing this from her house with her own materials and talents and sharing it with the world."

Peter vv_,_._,___

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

Thu Jul 03, 2008 at 08:28:51 AM

By Catherine McCulloch

There is something inherently non-vegan about pizza - THE CHEESE! No matter which way you cut it, pizza simply isn’t pizza without one of its three major components: crust, sauce, and cheese. Having said this, there are many delightful pizzerias in the Bay Area that offer vegan pizzas. Most of the time these pizzas are simply pizza minus the cheese (a.k.a. sauce on bread). But I want cheese on my pizza, I NEED cheese on my pizza!

I was told that there are two good pizza joints in San Francisco that offer a soy cheese pizza: Panhandle Pizza (2077 Hayes St.) and Piraat Pizza (696 Sutter St.) I decided to give Piraat Pizza a whirl because of its BART accessibility; the restaurant is only a few blocks away from Union Square. However, I’m always weary of restaurants directly surrounding the Square because they tend to be overpriced and packed with tourists. Thankfully, Piraat Pizza was neither. It is a casual dining-type restaurant where you can take the kids and still eat adult food.

When I first approached Piraat, my first thought was that this couldn’t be a vegan-friendly restaurant. For starts, the restaurant’s logo has a cartoon chef dressed as a pirate holding a sword that stabs several roasting chickens. But, looking at the menu, I located the place's lone supposedly-vegan pie, the "Haight/Ashbury," made with soy mozzarella, your choice of three sauces (barbecue, creamy garlic, and marinara) and two toppings.

I ordered an individual-sized Haight/Ashbury with marinara sauce and spinach and was generally pleased with my piece of pie. The tomatoes and spinach were fresh and the soy mozzarella had melted surprisingly well (generally speaking, soy cheese doesn’t melt like dairy cheeses). But, after a few bites I was certain that the pizza was not vegan.

I asked the server if the pizza was vegan and she said yes. And then I asked if there was any dairy in the pizza and she said yes. When I told her that she had contradicted herself she told me that she didn’t know what vegan meant. The owner was even less helpful. He assured me that it was vegan but, also told me that there was butter in the crust. What a hoax! Oh well, it was a pretty good vegetarian pizza and the soy cheese definitely helped to cut back on the dairy.

I wouldn’t suggest Piraat Pizza as a destination eatery for purists. But, if you’re in the 'hood jonesing for a slice and don’t mind a little butter, go ahead and grab a bite. And here's an important lesson for all of you who are trying to adhere to a strict vegan diet: You can’t blindly trust restaurants. Many places claim that their food is vegan but they use the same utensils to cut meat and vegetables and other practices that are not acceptable to most vegans. You are probably safer sticking with completely vegan restaurants.

Here are some other pizza places in San Francisco that have vegan alternatives for all of you pizza lovers:

• The Usual Suspects Café 450 Broadway

• Tricolore Cafe & Pizzeria 590 Washington

• Cafe Gratitude 1336 9th Ave. 2400 Harrison St. 1730, Shattuck Ave. in Berkeley, 2200 Fourth St. in San Rafael

• Pizza Orgasmica 3157 Fillmore St.

• Atlas Cafe 3049 20th St.

• The Pizza Place on Noriega 3901 Noriega St

Bob Oabona says:

As a lover of pizza and a vegan for over 25 years, I can tell you I don't miss pizza because I eat vast quantities of pizza without the cheese. Find a good pizza restaurant and order a pizza with "no cheese" with sauce and some lightly sauteed vegetables like artichokes, peppers, onions, sun-dries tomatoes.

I realize now that cheese was smothering the taste of both the vegetables and sauce while adding a lot of fatty calories.

But if you find a good restaurant with a vegan cheese pizza and you can't do without the "cheese," go ahead and enjoy.

Bob OrabonaFriends of Animals

Posted at: July 3, 2008 11:16 AM

Sat says:

My internet sources tell me that "The Usual Suspects Cafe" is no longer open. You'll want to call them to confirm the veracity of this claim though.

Posted at: July 3, 2008 11:24 AM

Peter vv._,___

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

It's hard to top a pizza without cheese...lol.

I made my own pizza 2 weeks ago and had a pizza pool party with vegan

ice cream and vegan brownies. It was a lot of fun but 2 days worth

of ice cream and pizza dough making..lol.

I made my own pesto sauce using basil from the garden and nutritional

yeast with garlic and olive oil. It made a wonderful sauce to the

roasted bell peppers and artichoke hearts...pretty too.

I did not miss the cheese on this one at all!

Peace,

Sky

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> Thu Jul 03, 2008 at 08:28:51 AM

>

> By Catherine McCulloch

> There is something inherently non-vegan about pizza - THE CHEESE!

No matter which way you cut it, pizza simply isn’t pizza without

one of its three major components: crust, sauce, and cheese. Having

said this, there are many delightful pizzerias in the Bay Area that

offer vegan pizzas. Most of the time these pizzas are simply pizza

minus the cheese (a.k.a. sauce on bread). But I want cheese on my

pizza, I NEED cheese on my pizza!

> I was told that there are two good pizza joints in San Francisco

that offer a soy cheese pizza: Panhandle Pizza (2077 Hayes St.) and

Piraat Pizza (696 Sutter St.) I decided to give Piraat Pizza a whirl

because of its BART accessibility; the restaurant is only a few

blocks away from Union Square. However, I’m always weary of

restaurants directly surrounding the Square because they tend to be

overpriced and packed with tourists. Thankfully, Piraat Pizza was

neither. It is a casual dining-type restaurant where you can take the

kids and still eat adult food.

> When I first approached Piraat, my first thought was that this

couldn’t be a vegan-friendly restaurant. For starts, the

restaurant’s logo has a cartoon chef dressed as a pirate holding a

sword that stabs several roasting chickens. But, looking at the menu,

I located the place's lone supposedly-vegan pie,

the " Haight/Ashbury, " made with soy mozzarella, your choice of three

sauces (barbecue, creamy garlic, and marinara) and two toppings.

> I ordered an individual-sized Haight/Ashbury with marinara sauce

and spinach and was generally pleased with my piece of pie. The

tomatoes and spinach were fresh and the soy mozzarella had melted

surprisingly well (generally speaking, soy cheese doesn’t melt like

dairy cheeses). But, after a few bites I was certain that the pizza

was not vegan.

> I asked the server if the pizza was vegan and she said yes. And

then I asked if there was any dairy in the pizza and she said yes.

When I told her that she had contradicted herself she told me that

she didn’t know what vegan meant. The owner was even less helpful.

He assured me that it was vegan but, also told me that there was

butter in the crust. What a hoax! Oh well, it was a pretty

goodvegetarian pizza and the soy cheese definitely helped to cut back

on the dairy.

> I wouldn’t suggest Piraat Pizza as a destination eatery for

purists. But, if you’re in the 'hood jonesing for a slice and

don’t mind a little butter, go ahead and grab a bite. And here's an

important lesson for all of you who are trying to adhere to a strict

vegan diet: You can’t blindly trust restaurants. Many places claim

that their food is vegan but they use the same utensils to cut meat

and vegetables and other practices that are not acceptable to most

vegans. You are probably safer sticking with completely vegan

restaurants.

> Here are some other pizza places in San Francisco that have vegan

alternatives for all of you pizza lovers:

> • The Usual Suspects Café

> 450 Broadway

> • Tricolore Cafe & Pizzeria

> 590 Washington

> • Cafe Gratitude

> 1336 9th Ave. 2400 Harrison St. 1730, Shattuck Ave. in Berkeley,

2200 Fourth St. in San Rafael

> • Pizza Orgasmica

> 3157 Fillmore St.

> • Atlas Cafe

> 3049 20th St.

> • The Pizza Place on Noriega

> 3901 Noriega St

> Bob Oabona says:

> As a lover of pizza and a vegan for over 25 years, I can tell you I

don't miss pizza because I eat vast quantities of pizza without the

cheese. Find a good pizza restaurant and order a pizza with " no

cheese " with sauce and some lightly sauteed vegetables like

artichokes, peppers, onions, sun-dries tomatoes.

> I realize now that cheese was smothering the taste of both the

vegetables and sauce while adding a lot of fatty calories.

> But if you find a good restaurant with a vegan cheese pizza and you

can't do without the " cheese, " go ahead and enjoy.

> Bob Orabona

> Friends of Animals

> Posted at: July 3, 2008 11:16 AM

> Sat says:

> My internet sources tell me that " The Usual Suspects Cafe " is no

longer open. You'll want to call them to confirm the veracity of this

claim though.

> Posted at: July 3, 2008 11:24 AM

>  

> Peter vv._,___

>

>

> ________

> Not happy with your email address?.

> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses

available now at http://uk.docs./ymail/new.html

>

Guest guest

i swear do reporters even TRY anymore???

Pizza Plaza in oakland on shattuck

Lanesplitter in berkeley and oakland (delivery and pick up location

in albany) (tho, they don't always use certified vegan sugar)

Felinni's in berkeley

there was Raphael's in berkeley, but i think they closed...

>

>

> By Catherine McCulloch

neither. It is a casual dining-type restaurant where you can take

the kids and still eat adult food.

sword that stabs several roasting chickens. But, looking at the

menu, I located the place's lone supposedly-vegan pie,

surprisingly well (generally speaking, soy cheese doesn’t melt

like dairy cheeses). But, after a few bites I was certain that the

pizza was not vegan.

goodvegetarian pizza and the soy cheese definitely helped to cut

back on the dairy.

don’t mind a little butter, go ahead and grab a bite. And here's

an important lesson for all of you who are trying to adhere to a

strict vegan diet: You can’t blindly trust restaurants. Many

places claim that their food is vegan but they use the same utensils

to cut meat and vegetables and other practices that are not

acceptable to most vegans. You are probably safer sticking with

completely vegan restaurants.

> 450 Broadway

> 590 Washington

> • Cafe Gratitude

> • Pizza Orgasmica

> 3157 Fillmore St.

> • Atlas Cafe

> 3049 20th St.

> 3901 Noriega St

> Bob Oabona says:

> As a lover of pizza and a vegan for over 25 years, I can tell you

I don't miss pizza because I eat vast quantities of pizza without

the cheese. Find a good pizza restaurant and order a pizza with " no

> But if you find a good restaurant with a vegan cheese pizza and

you can't do without the " cheese, " go ahead and enjoy.

> Bob Orabona

> Friends of Animals

> Sat says:

longer open. You'll want to call them to confirm the veracity of

this claim though.

>  

> Peter vv._,___

>

>

> ________

>

Guest guest

I never live near any of the great vegan

restaurants mentioned on this list.  Nope.  Never.  I wondered if anyone knows

a restaurant that would ship things like vegan pizza maybe overnight?  Just taking

a stab in the dark, here.  Cyn

On Behalf Of Peter VV

Thursday, July 03, 2008 4:00

PM

Re: Vegan?

Healthy, and flavorful, too

By Catherine McCulloch

There is

something inherently non-vegan about pizza - THE CHEESE! No matter which way

you cut it, pizza simply isn’t pizza without one of its three major components:

crust, sauce, and cheese. Having said this, there are many delightful pizzerias

in the Bay Area that offer vegan pizzas. Most of the time these pizzas are

simply pizza minus the cheese (a.k.a. sauce on bread). But I want cheese on my

I was

told that there are two good pizza joints in San Francisco that offer a soy cheese pizza: Panhandle Pizza (2077 Hayes St.) and

Piraat Pizza (696 Sutter St.) I

decided to give Piraat Pizza a whirl because of its BART accessibility; the

restaurant is only a few blocks away from Union Square. However, I’m always weary

of restaurants directly surrounding the Square because they tend to be

overpriced and packed with tourists. Thankfully, Piraat Pizza was neither. It

is a casual dining-type restaurant where you can take the kids and still eat

adult food.

When I

first approached Piraat, my first thought was that this couldn’t be a

vegan-friendly restaurant. For starts, the restaurant’s logo has a cartoon chef

dressed as a pirate holding a sword that stabs several roasting chickens. But,

looking at the menu, I located the place's lone supposedly-vegan pie, the

" Haight/Ashbury, " made with soy mozzarella, your choice of three

I ordered

an individual-sized Haight/Ashbury with marinara sauce and spinach and was

generally pleased with my piece of pie. The tomatoes and spinach were fresh and

the soy mozzarella had melted surprisingly well (generally speaking, soy cheese

doesn’t melt like dairy cheeses). But, after a few bites I was certain that the

pizza was not vegan.

I asked

the server if the pizza was vegan and she said yes. And then I asked if there

was any dairy in the pizza and she said yes. When I told her that she had

contradicted herself she told me that she didn’t know what vegan meant. The owner

was even less helpful. He assured me that it was vegan but, also told me that

there was butter in the crust. What a hoax! Oh well, it was a pretty good vegetarian pizza and the soy cheese

definitely helped to cut back on the dairy.

I

wouldn’t suggest Piraat Pizza as a destination eatery for purists. But, if

you’re in the 'hood jonesing for a slice and don’t mind a little butter, go

ahead and grab a bite. And here's an important lesson for all of you who are

trying to adhere to a strict vegan diet: You can’t blindly trust restaurants.

Many places claim that their food is vegan but they use the same utensils to

cut meat and vegetables and other practices that are not acceptable to most

vegans. You are probably safer sticking with completely vegan restaurants.

Here are

some other pizza places in San

Francisco that have vegan alternatives for all of you

pizza lovers:

• The Usual Suspects Café

450 Broadway

• Tricolore Cafe & Pizzeria

590 Washington

• Cafe Gratitude

1336 9th Ave. 2400 Harrison St. 1730, Shattuck Ave. in Berkeley, 2200 Fourth

St. in San Rafael

• Pizza Orgasmica

3157 Fillmore St.

• Atlas

Cafe

3049 20th St.

• The

Pizza Place on Noriega

3901 Noriega St

Bob Oabona

says:

As a lover

of pizza and a vegan for over 25 years, I can tell you I don't miss pizza

because I eat vast quantities of pizza without the cheese. Find a good pizza

restaurant and order a pizza with " no cheese " with sauce and some

lightly sauteed vegetables like artichokes, peppers, onions, sun-dries

tomatoes.

I realize

now that cheese was smothering the taste of both the vegetables and sauce while

adding a lot of fatty calories.

But if you

find a good restaurant with a vegan cheese pizza and you can't do without the

" cheese, " go ahead and enjoy.

Bob

Orabona

Friends of Animals

Sat

says:

My internet

sources tell me that " The Usual Suspects Cafe " is no longer open.

You'll want to call them to confirm the veracity of this claim though.

Peter vv._,___

Get the one you really want

- millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

somehow i don't think they'd taste very good once they got there!

ckg Jul 3, 2008 5:59 PM RE: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

I never live near any of the great vegan restaurants mentioned on this list. Nope. Never. I wondered if anyone knows a restaurant that would ship things like vegan pizza maybe overnight? Just taking a stab in the dark, here. Cyn

On Behalf Of Peter VVThursday, July 03, 2008 4:00 PM Subject: Re: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

By Catherine McCulloch

There is something inherently non-vegan about pizza - THE CHEESE! No matter which way you cut it, pizza simply isn’t pizza without one of its three major components: crust, sauce, and cheese. Having said this, there are many delightful pizzerias in the Bay Area that offer vegan pizzas. Most of the time these pizzas are simply pizza minus the cheese (a.k.a. sauce on bread). But I want cheese on my pizza, I NEED cheese on my pizza!

I was told that there are two good pizza joints in San Francisco that offer a soy cheese pizza: Panhandle Pizza (2077 Hayes St.) and Piraat Pizza (696 Sutter St.) I decided to give Piraat Pizza a whirl because of its BART accessibility; the restaurant is only a few blocks away from Union Square. However, I’m always weary of restaurants directly surrounding the Square because they tend to be overpriced and packed with tourists. Thankfully, Piraat Pizza was neither. It is a casual dining-type restaurant where you can take the kids and still eat adult food.

When I first approached Piraat, my first thought was that this couldn’t be a vegan-friendly restaurant. For starts, the restaurant’s logo has a cartoon chef dressed as a pirate holding a sword that stabs several roasting chickens. But, looking at the menu, I located the place's lone supposedly-vegan pie, the "Haight/Ashbury," made with soy mozzarella, your choice of three sauces (barbecue, creamy garlic, and marinara) and two toppings.

I ordered an individual-sized Haight/Ashbury with marinara sauce and spinach and was generally pleased with my piece of pie. The tomatoes and spinach were fresh and the soy mozzarella had melted surprisingly well (generally speaking, soy cheese doesn’t melt like dairy cheeses). But, after a few bites I was certain that the pizza was not vegan.

I asked the server if the pizza was vegan and she said yes. And then I asked if there was any dairy in the pizza and she said yes. When I told her that she had contradicted herself she told me that she didn’t know what vegan meant. The owner was even less helpful. He assured me that it was vegan but, also told me that there was butter in the crust. What a hoax! Oh well, it was a pretty good vegetarian pizza and the soy cheese definitely helped to cut back on the dairy.

I wouldn’t suggest Piraat Pizza as a destination eatery for purists. But, if you’re in the 'hood jonesing for a slice and don’t mind a little butter, go ahead and grab a bite. And here's an important lesson for all of you who are trying to adhere to a strict vegan diet: You can’t blindly trust restaurants. Many places claim that their food is vegan but they use the same utensils to cut meat and vegetables and other practices that are not acceptable to most vegans. You are probably safer sticking with completely vegan restaurants.

Here are some other pizza places in San Francisco that have vegan alternatives for all of you pizza lovers:

• Cafe Gratitude 1336 9th Ave. 2400 Harrison St. 1730, Shattuck Ave. in Berkeley, 2200 Fourth St. in San Rafael

Bob Oabona says:

As a lover of pizza and a vegan for over 25 years, I can tell you I don't miss pizza because I eat vast quantities of pizza without the cheese. Find a good pizza restaurant and order a pizza with "no cheese" with sauce and some lightly sauteed vegetables like artichokes, peppers, onions, sun-dries tomatoes.

I realize now that cheese was smothering the taste of both the vegetables and sauce while adding a lot of fatty calories.

But if you find a good restaurant with a vegan cheese pizza and you can't do without the "cheese," go ahead and enjoy.

Sat says:

My internet sources tell me that "The Usual Suspects Cafe" is no longer open. You'll want to call them to confirm the veracity of this claim though.

Peter vv._,___

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

Pizza's not that hard to make, once you get past the idea of

making the dough.

If you don't want to make the dough, maybe a local natural-foods

store sells frozen pizza dough? I've seen some in Whole Foods and

Trader Joe's.

The books that got me started (again) making yeasted breads are

Breadtime Stories and Artisan Bread Baking in 5 Minutes a Day.

Basically you mix flour, warm water, and some baking yeast, let it

rise, punch it down, let it rise again, divide it into portions, then

stretch one of them out to a shape that fits your pizza pan. Bake it a

few minutes.

Then you can add a sauce, either homemade or from a jar. And

vegetables -- every vegetable tastes great roasted.

At 8:59 PM -0400 7/3/08, ckg wrote:

I never live near any of the great vegan restaurants mentioned on

this list. Nope. Never. I wondered if anyone knows a

restaurant that would ship things like vegan pizza maybe overnight?

Just taking a stab in the dark, here. Cyn

Guest guest

There is something wrong with this article! You don't need cheese,

or cheese substitute to make a tasty pizza. Tomato sauce is the

magic ingredient, and possibly the original for pizza.

Pizza was one of the first dishes I made at secondary school back in

1959 and we did not use cheese. We made the pizza base, then the

tomato sauce, put the tomato sauce on the cooked base, added

vegetables, and unfortunately at that time, some meat slices, and

cooked it again.

Jo

>

>

> By Catherine McCulloch

neither. It is a casual dining-type restaurant where you can take the

kids and still eat adult food.

sword that stabs several roasting chickens. But, looking at the menu,

I located the place's lone supposedly-vegan pie,

surprisingly well (generally speaking, soy cheese doesn’t melt like

dairy cheeses). But, after a few bites I was certain that the pizza

was not vegan.

goodvegetarian pizza and the soy cheese definitely helped to cut back

on the dairy.

don’t mind a little butter, go ahead and grab a bite. And here's an

important lesson for all of you who are trying to adhere to a strict

vegan diet: You can’t blindly trust restaurants. Many places claim

that their food is vegan but they use the same utensils to cut meat

and vegetables and other practices that are not acceptable to most

vegans. You are probably safer sticking with completely vegan

restaurants.

> 450 Broadway

> 590 Washington

> • Cafe Gratitude

> • Pizza Orgasmica

> 3157 Fillmore St.

> • Atlas Cafe

> 3049 20th St.

> 3901 Noriega St

> Bob Oabona says:

> As a lover of pizza and a vegan for over 25 years, I can tell you I

don't miss pizza because I eat vast quantities of pizza without the

cheese. Find a good pizza restaurant and order a pizza with " no

> But if you find a good restaurant with a vegan cheese pizza and you

can't do without the " cheese, " go ahead and enjoy.

> Bob Orabona

> Friends of Animals

> Sat says:

longer open. You'll want to call them to confirm the veracity of this

claim though.

>  

> Peter vv._,___

>

>

> ________

>

Guest guest

The pizza sounds delicious, and the pesto sauce a good change from

tomator.

Jo

, " Sky " <darkcloudsinthesky

wrote:

>

> It's hard to top a pizza without cheese...lol.

>

> I made my own pizza 2 weeks ago and had a pizza pool party with

vegan

> ice cream and vegan brownies. It was a lot of fun but 2 days worth

> of ice cream and pizza dough making..lol.

>

> I made my own pesto sauce using basil from the garden and

nutritional

> yeast with garlic and olive oil. It made a wonderful sauce to the

> roasted bell peppers and artichoke hearts...pretty too.

> I did not miss the cheese on this one at all!

>

> Peace,

> Sky

>

>

>

>

> , Peter VV <swpgh01@> wrote:

> >

> > Thu Jul 03, 2008 at 08:28:51 AM

> >

> > By Catherine McCulloch

> > There is something inherently non-vegan about pizza - THE CHEESE!

> No matter which way you cut it, pizza simply isn’t pizza without

> one of its three major components: crust, sauce, and cheese. Having

> said this, there are many delightful pizzerias in the Bay Area that

> offer vegan pizzas. Most of the time these pizzas are simply pizza

> minus the cheese (a.k.a. sauce on bread). But I want cheese on my

> pizza, I NEED cheese on my pizza!

> > I was told that there are two good pizza joints in San Francisco

> that offer a soy cheese pizza: Panhandle Pizza (2077 Hayes St.) and

> Piraat Pizza (696 Sutter St.) I decided to give Piraat Pizza a

whirl

> because of its BART accessibility; the restaurant is only a few

> blocks away from Union Square. However, I’m always weary of

> restaurants directly surrounding the Square because they tend to be

> overpriced and packed with tourists. Thankfully, Piraat Pizza was

> neither. It is a casual dining-type restaurant where you can take

the

> kids and still eat adult food.

> > When I first approached Piraat, my first thought was that this

> couldn’t be a vegan-friendly restaurant. For starts, the

> restaurant’s logo has a cartoon chef dressed as a pirate holding

a

> sword that stabs several roasting chickens. But, looking at the

menu,

> I located the place's lone supposedly-vegan pie,

> the " Haight/Ashbury, " made with soy mozzarella, your choice of

three

> sauces (barbecue, creamy garlic, and marinara) and two toppings.

> > I ordered an individual-sized Haight/Ashbury with marinara sauce

> and spinach and was generally pleased with my piece of pie. The

> tomatoes and spinach were fresh and the soy mozzarella had melted

> surprisingly well (generally speaking, soy cheese doesn’t melt

> dairy cheeses). But, after a few bites I was certain that the pizza

> was not vegan.

> > I asked the server if the pizza was vegan and she said yes. And

> then I asked if there was any dairy in the pizza and she said yes.

> When I told her that she had contradicted herself she told me that

> she didn’t know what vegan meant. The owner was even less

helpful.

> He assured me that it was vegan but, also told me that there was

> butter in the crust. What a hoax! Oh well, it was a pretty

> goodvegetarian pizza and the soy cheese definitely helped to cut

back

> on the dairy.

> > I wouldn’t suggest Piraat Pizza as a destination eatery for

> purists. But, if you’re in the 'hood jonesing for a slice and

> don’t mind a little butter, go ahead and grab a bite. And here's

an

> important lesson for all of you who are trying to adhere to a

strict

> vegan diet: You can’t blindly trust restaurants. Many places

claim

> that their food is vegan but they use the same utensils to cut meat

> and vegetables and other practices that are not acceptable to most

> vegans. You are probably safer sticking with completely vegan

> restaurants.

> > Here are some other pizza places in San Francisco that have vegan

> alternatives for all of you pizza lovers:

> > • The Usual Suspects Café

> > 450 Broadway

> > • Tricolore Cafe & Pizzeria

> > 590 Washington

> > • Cafe Gratitude

> > 1336 9th Ave. 2400 Harrison St. 1730, Shattuck Ave. in Berkeley,

> 2200 Fourth St. in San Rafael

> > • Pizza Orgasmica

> > 3157 Fillmore St.

> > • Atlas Cafe

> > 3049 20th St.

> > • The Pizza Place on Noriega

> > 3901 Noriega St

> > Bob Oabona says:

> > As a lover of pizza and a vegan for over 25 years, I can tell you

I

> don't miss pizza because I eat vast quantities of pizza without the

> cheese. Find a good pizza restaurant and order a pizza with " no

> cheese " with sauce and some lightly sauteed vegetables like

> artichokes, peppers, onions, sun-dries tomatoes.

> > I realize now that cheese was smothering the taste of both the

> vegetables and sauce while adding a lot of fatty calories.

> > But if you find a good restaurant with a vegan cheese pizza and

you

> can't do without the " cheese, " go ahead and enjoy.

> > Bob Orabona

> > Friends of Animals

> > Posted at: July 3, 2008 11:16 AM

> > Sat says:

> > My internet sources tell me that " The Usual Suspects Cafe " is no

> longer open. You'll want to call them to confirm the veracity of

this

> claim though.

> > Posted at: July 3, 2008 11:24 AM

> >  

> > Peter vv._,___

> >

> >

> > ________

> > Not happy with your email address?.

> > Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses

> available now at http://uk.docs./ymail/new.html

> >

>

Guest guest

Hi Sky

> It's hard to top a pizza without cheese...lol.

And yet, if you go to Italy (from whence Pizza's originate), they hardly

ever have cheese on their Pizza....

BB

Peter

Guest guest

This whole thing with the cheese on Pizza... and yet it's not a regular ingredient in the country the dish originates from... sort of reminds me of the American couple who were overheard on their holiday to England commenting on how quaint it was that the English had decided to name so many places after towns in America....

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Thursday, July 03, 2008 8:59 PM

Re: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

By Catherine McCulloch

Bob Oabona says:

Sat says:

Peter vv._,___

Guest guest

Hi Jo

> Pizza was one of the first dishes I made at secondary school back in

> 1959 and we did not use cheese.

That would be because in 1959 England was still part of Europe, rather than

part of America :-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Yes, nothing like making your own, and from scratch if possible.Making the dough takes some time and effort,but at least you know what's in it.Can anyone tell me if selfraising flour is alright for vegans?Thanks,Beatriz :)--- On Thu, 7/3/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:fraggle <EBbrewpunxRE: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too Date: Thursday, July 3, 2008, 9:58 PM

ckg Jul 3, 2008 5:59 PM @gro ups.com RE: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

I never live near any of the great vegan restaurants mentioned on this list. Nope. Never. I wondered if anyone knows a restaurant that would ship things like vegan pizza maybe overnight? Just taking a stab in the dark, here. Cyn

@gro ups.com [ @gro ups.com ] On Behalf Of Peter VVThursday, July 03, 2008 4:00 PM@gro ups.comRe: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

By Catherine McCulloch There is something inherently non-vegan about pizza - THE CHEESE! No matter which way you cut it, pizza simply isn’t pizza without one of its three major components: crust, sauce, and cheese. Having said this, there are many delightful pizzerias in the Bay Area that offer vegan pizzas. Most of the time these pizzas are simply pizza minus the cheese (a.k.a. sauce on bread). But I want cheese on my pizza, I NEED cheese on my pizza! I was told that there are two good pizza joints in San Francisco that offer a soy cheese pizza: Panhandle Pizza ( 2077 Hayes St. ) and Piraat Pizza ( 696 Sutter St .) I decided to give Piraat Pizza a whirl because of its BART accessibility; the restaurant is only a few blocks away from Union Square . However, I’m always weary of restaurants directly surrounding the Square because they tend to be overpriced and packed with tourists. Thankfully, Piraat Pizza was neither. It is a casual

dining-type restaurant where you can take the kids and still eat adult food.

When I first approached Piraat, my first thought was that this couldn’t be a vegan-friendly restaurant. For starts, the restaurant’s logo has a cartoon chef dressed as a pirate holding a sword that stabs several roasting chickens. But, looking at the menu, I located the place's lone supposedly-vegan pie, the "Haight/Ashbury, " made with soy mozzarella, your choice of three sauces (barbecue, creamy garlic, and marinara) and two toppings. I ordered an individual-sized Haight/Ashbury with marinara sauce and spinach and was generally pleased with my piece of pie. The tomatoes and spinach were fresh and the soy mozzarella had melted surprisingly well (generally speaking, soy cheese doesn’t melt like dairy cheeses). But, after a few bites I was certain that the pizza was not vegan. I asked the server if the pizza was vegan and she said yes. And then I asked if there was any dairy in the pizza and she said yes. When I told her that she had contradicted herself she told me that she didn’t know what vegan meant. The owner was even less helpful. He assured me that it was vegan but, also told me that there was butter in the crust. What a hoax! Oh well, it was a pretty good vegetarian pizza and the soy cheese definitely helped to cut back on the dairy. I wouldn’t suggest Piraat Pizza as a destination eatery for purists. But, if you’re in the 'hood jonesing for a slice and don’t mind a little butter, go ahead and grab a bite. And here's an important lesson for all of you who are trying to adhere to a strict vegan diet: You can’t blindly trust restaurants. Many places claim that their food is vegan but they use the same utensils to cut meat and vegetables and other practices that are not acceptable to most vegans. You are probably safer sticking with completely vegan restaurants. Here are some other pizza places in San Francisco that have vegan alternatives for all of you pizza lovers: • The Usual Suspects Café 450 Broadway • Tricolore Cafe & Pizzeria 590 Washington • Cafe Gratitude 1336 9th Ave. 2400 Harrison St. 1730, Shattuck Ave. in Berkeley, 2200 Fourth St. in San Rafael • Pizza Orgasmica 3157 Fillmore St . • Atlas Cafe 3049 20th St . • The Pizza Place on Noriega 3901 Noriega St

Bob Oabona says:

As a lover of pizza and a vegan for over 25 years, I can tell you I don't miss pizza because I eat vast quantities of pizza without the cheese. Find a good pizza restaurant and order a pizza with "no cheese" with sauce and some lightly sauteed vegetables like artichokes, peppers, onions, sun-dries tomatoes. I realize now that cheese was smothering the taste of both the vegetables and sauce while adding a lot of fatty calories. But if you find a good restaurant with a vegan cheese pizza and you can't do without the "cheese," go ahead and enjoy. Bob OrabonaFriends of Animals Posted at: July 3, 2008 11:16 AM

Sat says:

My internet sources tell me that "The Usual Suspects Cafe" is no longer open. You'll want to call them to confirm the veracity of this claim though. Posted at: July 3, 2008 11:24 AM

Peter vv._,___

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

Hello,

Really? No cheese pizzas?

That would have been great to tell my dad.

My dad,brother and sister in law went to Italy in May.

I did not go on our family trip this time around.

My dad is allergic to dairy. There was a lot of cheese around mostly

all he ate a lot of pasta and vegetables. He could not have any

desserts served in restaurants they went to and it was difficult to get

most people to understand he couldnt' have any cheese, milk etc..lol.

I think mostly cause of the English but even here back home when he was

in the hospital the nutritionist did not understand that it was not

lactose intolerance it is a true allergy and he could get very sick if

he consumed dairy.

Peace,

Sky

, " Peter " <metalscarab wrote:

>

> Hi Sky

>

> > It's hard to top a pizza without cheese...lol.

>

> And yet, if you go to Italy (from whence Pizza's originate), they

hardly

> ever have cheese on their Pizza....

>

> BB

> Peter

>

Guest guest

Thank you Jo : )

, " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork

wrote:

>

> The pizza sounds delicious, and the pesto sauce a good change from

> tomator.

>

> Jo

>

> , " Sky " <darkcloudsinthesky@>

> wrote:

> >

> > It's hard to top a pizza without cheese...lol.

> >

> > I made my own pizza 2 weeks ago and had a pizza pool party with

> vegan

> > ice cream and vegan brownies. It was a lot of fun but 2 days

worth

> > of ice cream and pizza dough making..lol.

> >

> > I made my own pesto sauce using basil from the garden and

> nutritional

> > yeast with garlic and olive oil. It made a wonderful sauce to the

> > roasted bell peppers and artichoke hearts...pretty too.

> > I did not miss the cheese on this one at all!

> >

> > Peace,

> > Sky

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > , Peter VV <swpgh01@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Thu Jul 03, 2008 at 08:28:51 AM

> > >

> > > By Catherine McCulloch

> > > There is something inherently non-vegan about pizza - THE

CHEESE!

> > No matter which way you cut it, pizza simply isn’t pizza

without

> > one of its three major components: crust, sauce, and cheese.

Having

> > said this, there are many delightful pizzerias in the Bay Area

that

> > offer vegan pizzas. Most of the time these pizzas are simply

pizza

> > minus the cheese (a.k.a. sauce on bread). But I want cheese on my

> > pizza, I NEED cheese on my pizza!

> > > I was told that there are two good pizza joints in San

Francisco

> > that offer a soy cheese pizza: Panhandle Pizza (2077 Hayes St.)

and

> > Piraat Pizza (696 Sutter St.) I decided to give Piraat Pizza a

> whirl

> > because of its BART accessibility; the restaurant is only a few

> > blocks away from Union Square. However, I’m always weary of

> > restaurants directly surrounding the Square because they tend to

be

> > overpriced and packed with tourists. Thankfully, Piraat Pizza was

> > neither. It is a casual dining-type restaurant where you can take

> the

> > kids and still eat adult food.

> > > When I first approached Piraat, my first thought was that this

> > couldn’t be a vegan-friendly restaurant. For starts, the

> > restaurant’s logo has a cartoon chef dressed as a pirate

holding

> a

> > sword that stabs several roasting chickens. But, looking at the

> menu,

> > I located the place's lone supposedly-vegan pie,

> > the " Haight/Ashbury, " made with soy mozzarella, your choice of

> three

> > sauces (barbecue, creamy garlic, and marinara) and two toppings.

> > > I ordered an individual-sized Haight/Ashbury with marinara

sauce

> > and spinach and was generally pleased with my piece of pie. The

> > tomatoes and spinach were fresh and the soy mozzarella had melted

> > surprisingly well (generally speaking, soy cheese doesn’t melt

> like

> > dairy cheeses). But, after a few bites I was certain that the

pizza

> > was not vegan.

> > > I asked the server if the pizza was vegan and she said yes. And

> > then I asked if there was any dairy in the pizza and she said

yes.

> > When I told her that she had contradicted herself she told me

that

> > she didn’t know what vegan meant. The owner was even less

> helpful.

> > He assured me that it was vegan but, also told me that there was

> > butter in the crust. What a hoax! Oh well, it was a pretty

> > goodvegetarian pizza and the soy cheese definitely helped to cut

> back

> > on the dairy.

> > > I wouldn’t suggest Piraat Pizza as a destination eatery for

> > purists. But, if you’re in the 'hood jonesing for a slice and

> > don’t mind a little butter, go ahead and grab a bite. And

here's

> an

> > important lesson for all of you who are trying to adhere to a

> strict

> > vegan diet: You can’t blindly trust restaurants. Many places

> claim

> > that their food is vegan but they use the same utensils to cut

meat

> > and vegetables and other practices that are not acceptable to

most

> > vegans. You are probably safer sticking with completely vegan

> > restaurants.

> > > Here are some other pizza places in San Francisco that have

vegan

> > alternatives for all of you pizza lovers:

> > > • The Usual Suspects Café

> > > 450 Broadway

> > > • Tricolore Cafe & Pizzeria

> > > 590 Washington

> > > • Cafe Gratitude

> > > 1336 9th Ave. 2400 Harrison St. 1730, Shattuck Ave. in

Berkeley,

> > 2200 Fourth St. in San Rafael

> > > • Pizza Orgasmica

> > > 3157 Fillmore St.

> > > • Atlas Cafe

> > > 3049 20th St.

> > > • The Pizza Place on Noriega

> > > 3901 Noriega St

> > > Bob Oabona says:

> > > As a lover of pizza and a vegan for over 25 years, I can tell

you

> I

> > don't miss pizza because I eat vast quantities of pizza without

the

> > cheese. Find a good pizza restaurant and order a pizza with " no

> > cheese " with sauce and some lightly sauteed vegetables like

> > artichokes, peppers, onions, sun-dries tomatoes.

> > > I realize now that cheese was smothering the taste of both the

> > vegetables and sauce while adding a lot of fatty calories.

> > > But if you find a good restaurant with a vegan cheese pizza and

> you

> > can't do without the " cheese, " go ahead and enjoy.

> > > Bob Orabona

> > > Friends of Animals

> > > Posted at: July 3, 2008 11:16 AM

> > > Sat says:

> > > My internet sources tell me that " The Usual Suspects Cafe " is

no

> > longer open. You'll want to call them to confirm the veracity of

> this

> > claim though.

> > > Posted at: July 3, 2008 11:24 AM

> > >  

> > > Peter vv._,___

> > >

> > >

> > > ________

> > > Not happy with your email address?.

> > > Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses

> > available now at http://uk.docs./ymail/new.html

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

very true

when you make pizza, you have to plan ahead, so you make the dough well ahead of time, to gve it a chance to rise

i don't wanna think about the times we decided at 5pm to "make a pizza" for dinner

nothing like eating at 10pm

hahahahahahahhahahaa

Beatriz Jul 4, 2008 6:33 AM RE: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

Yes, nothing like making your own, and from scratch if possible.Making the dough takes some time and effort,but at least you know what's in it.Can anyone tell me if selfraising flour is alright for vegans?Thanks,Beatriz :)--- On Thu, 7/3/08, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>RE: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too Date: Thursday, July 3, 2008, 9:58 PM

ckg Jul 3, 2008 5:59 PM @gro ups.com RE: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

@gro ups.com [ @gro ups.com ] On Behalf Of Peter VVThursday, July 03, 2008 4:00 PM@gro ups.comRe: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

By Catherine McCulloch

I was told that there are two good pizza joints in San Francisco that offer a soy cheese pizza: Panhandle Pizza ( 2077 Hayes St. ) and Piraat Pizza ( 696 Sutter St .) I decided to give Piraat Pizza a whirl because of its BART accessibility; the restaurant is only a few blocks away from Union Square . However, I’m always weary of restaurants directly surrounding the Square because they tend to be overpriced and packed with tourists. Thankfully, Piraat Pizza was neither. It is a casual dining-type restaurant where you can take the kids and still eat adult food.

When I first approached Piraat, my first thought was that this couldn’t be a vegan-friendly restaurant. For starts, the restaurant’s logo has a cartoon chef dressed as a pirate holding a sword that stabs several roasting chickens. But, looking at the menu, I located the place's lone supposedly-vegan pie, the "Haight/Ashbury, " made with soy mozzarella, your choice of three sauces (barbecue, creamy garlic, and marinara) and two toppings.

• Pizza Orgasmica 3157 Fillmore St .

• Atlas Cafe 3049 20th St .

Bob Oabona says:

Sat says:

Peter vv._,___

Guest guest

but, pizza in this lil ol colony came over in two waves

one was with all the italian immigrants at the end of the 19th century, beginning of the 20th. mostly from southern italy . where Pizza Margherita was popular..unfortunately.

then again after WWII when US service personel ccame back from the italian theater. and again, southern italy...unfortunately...cheese....

then we came up with the brilliant move of freezing it......

ugh

Peter Jul 4, 2008 12:59 AM Re: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

This whole thing with the cheese on Pizza... and yet it's not a regular ingredient in the country the dish originates from... sort of reminds me of the American couple who were overheard on their holiday to England commenting on how quaint it was that the English had decided to name so many places after towns in America....

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Thursday, July 03, 2008 8:59 PM

By Catherine McCulloch

Bob Oabona says:

Sat says:

Peter vv._,___

Guest guest

you could just order it without cheese......

Sky Jul 4, 2008 7:37 AM Re: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

Hello,Really? No cheese pizzas?That would have been great to tell my dad.My dad,brother and sister in law went to Italy in May.I did not go on our family trip this time around.My dad is allergic to dairy. There was a lot of cheese around mostly all he ate a lot of pasta and vegetables. He could not have any desserts served in restaurants they went to and it was difficult to get most people to understand he couldnt' have any cheese, milk etc..lol.I think mostly cause of the English but even here back home when he was in the hospital the nutritionist did not understand that it was not lactose intolerance it is a true allergy and he could get very sick if he consumed dairy.Peace,Sky , "Peter" <metalscarab wrote:>> Hi Sky> > > It's hard to top a pizza without cheese...lol.> > And yet, if you go to Italy (from whence Pizza's originate), they hardly > ever have cheese on their Pizza....> > BB> Peter>

Guest guest

did you boil it and serve it with chips then?

*giggle*

oh come on..i get to have SOME fun occasionally!

Peter Jul 4, 2008 1:04 AM Re: Re: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

Hi Jo> Pizza was one of the first dishes I made at secondary school back in> 1959 and we did not use cheese.That would be because in 1959 England was still part of Europe, rather than part of America :-)BBPeter

Guest guest

Oh yeah he does that too...sometimes after it's been delivered they've

messed up and put cheese on it. Since cheese is so common on pizzas a

lot of times people are on automatic and don't leave it off..its just

nice to know it's not so common in other places..lol.

Guest guest

Hi SkyI've been fortunate - it's only happened to me once... the Pizza I'd ordered came (as standard) with Mozzarella and Goats Cheese (amongst the bits I actually wanted)... I asked for it without cheese, but they left the goat's cheese on... although they quickly replaced the Pizza once I pointed out to them that goats cheese is also cheese!!!!

BBPeter2008/7/4 Sky <darkcloudsinthesky:

Oh yeah he does that too...sometimes after it's been delivered they've

messed up and put cheese on it. Since cheese is so common on pizzas a

lot of times people are on automatic and don't leave it off..its just

nice to know it's not so common in other places..lol.

---

To send an email to -! Groups Links

<*>

/

<*> Your email settings:

Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

/join

( ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

-digest

-fullfeatured

<*>

Guest guest

There are two veg*n pizzarias where I live, one of which is COMPLETELY vegan. If anyone lands in Boston area, hit up Allston for TJ Scallywagg's House of Pizza. COMPLETELY vegan, including the cheese.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 9:58 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

ckg Jul 3, 2008 5:59 PM

RE: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

On Behalf Of Peter VV

Thursday, July 03, 2008 4:00 PM

By Catherine McCulloch

There is something inherently non-vegan about pizza - THE CHEESE! No matter which way you cut it, pizza simply isn't pizza without one of its three major components: crust, sauce, and cheese. Having said this, there are many delightful pizzerias in the Bay Area that offer vegan pizzas. Most of the time these pizzas are simply pizza minus the cheese (a.k.a. sauce on bread). But I want cheese on my pizza, I NEED cheese on my pizza!

I was told that there are two good pizza joints in San Francisco that offer a soy cheese pizza: Panhandle Pizza (2077 Hayes St.) and Piraat Pizza (696 Sutter St.) I decided to give Piraat Pizza a whirl because of its BART accessibility; the restaurant is only a few blocks away from Union Square. However, I'm always weary of restaurants directly surrounding the Square because they tend to be overpriced and packed with tourists. Thankfully, Piraat Pizza was neither. It is a casual dining-type restaurant where you can take the kids and still eat adult food.

When I first approached Piraat, my first thought was that this couldn't be a vegan-friendly restaurant. For starts, the restaurant's logo has a cartoon chef dressed as a pirate holding a sword that stabs several roasting chickens. But, looking at the menu, I located the place's lone supposedly-vegan pie, the " Haight/Ashbury, " made with soy mozzarella, your choice of three sauces (barbecue, creamy garlic, and marinara) and two toppings.

I ordered an individual-sized Haight/Ashbury with marinara sauce and spinach and was generally pleased with my piece of pie. The tomatoes and spinach were fresh and the soy mozzarella had melted surprisingly well (generally speaking, soy cheese doesn't melt like dairy cheeses). But, after a few bites I was certain that the pizza was not vegan.

I asked the server if the pizza was vegan and she said yes. And then I asked if there was any dairy in the pizza and she said yes. When I told her that she had contradicted herself she told me that she didn't know what vegan meant. The owner was even less helpful. He assured me that it was vegan but, also told me that there was butter in the crust. What a hoax! Oh well, it was a pretty good vegetarian pizza and the soy cheese definitely helped to cut back on the dairy.

I wouldn't suggest Piraat Pizza as a destination eatery for purists. But, if you're in the 'hood jonesing for a slice and don't mind a little butter, go ahead and grab a bite. And here's an important lesson for all of you who are trying to adhere to a strict vegan diet: You can't blindly trust restaurants. Many places claim that their food is vegan but they use the same utensils to cut meat and vegetables and other practices that are not acceptable to most vegans. You are probably safer sticking with completely vegan restaurants.

• The Usual Suspects Café

450 Broadway

• Tricolore Cafe & Pizzeria

590 Washington

• Cafe Gratitude

1336 9th Ave. 2400 Harrison St. 1730, Shattuck Ave. in Berkeley, 2200 Fourth St. in San Rafael

• Pizza Orgasmica

3157 Fillmore St.

• Atlas Cafe

3049 20th St.

Bob Oabona says:

As a lover of pizza and a vegan for over 25 years, I can tell you I don't miss pizza because I eat vast quantities of pizza without the cheese. Find a good pizza restaurant and order a pizza with " no cheese " with sauce and some lightly sauteed vegetables like artichokes, peppers, onions, sun-dries tomatoes.

But if you find a good restaurant with a vegan cheese pizza and you can't do without the " cheese, " go ahead and enjoy.

Sat says:

My internet sources tell me that " The Usual Suspects Cafe " is no longer open. You'll want to call them to confirm the veracity of this claim though.

Peter vv._,___

-- Email: bluerose156AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

~Boston_GothicBoston_MysticBoston-Pagans

Guest guest

Last year, in a cafe on campus, I ordered a baked potato with baked beans for lunch. When it came it had about half an inch of melted cheese all over it (must hve been about half a pound). I complained, as you can imagine, and it was replaced with baked potato and beans with no cheese. The menu never mentioned cheese, and I would never (even in my omnivorous days) have thought of putting cheese on it - must taste horrible.

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Friday, July 04, 2008 8:19 PM

Re: Re: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

Hi SkyI've been fortunate - it's only happened to me once... the Pizza I'd ordered came (as standard) with Mozzarella and Goats Cheese (amongst the bits I actually wanted)... I asked for it without cheese, but they left the goat's cheese on... although they quickly replaced the Pizza once I pointed out to them that goats cheese is also cheese!!!!BBPeter

2008/7/4 Sky <darkcloudsinthesky >:

Oh yeah he does that too...sometimes after it's been delivered they'vemessed up and put cheese on it. Since cheese is so common on pizzas alot of times people are on automatic and don't leave it off..its justnice to know it's not so common in other places..lol.---To send an email to -

Guest guest

plane tickets on blue rose everyone!!!

wheeee

thanx andrea

tho...TJ scallawags huh...sounds like one of those "afterwork" office party restaurants with a gimmick..TGI Fridays, chili's, the pirate restaurant in the freecreditreport.com comercial..hahahahahaha

Blue Rose Jul 4, 2008 7:30 PM Re: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

There are two veg*n pizzarias where I live, one of which is COMPLETELY vegan. If anyone lands in Boston area, hit up Allston for TJ Scallywagg's House of Pizza. COMPLETELY vegan, including the cheese.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 9:58 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> wrote:

ckg Jul 3, 2008 5:59 PM RE: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

On Behalf Of Peter VVThursday, July 03, 2008 4:00 PM

Subject: Re: Vegan? Healthy, and flavorful, too

By Catherine McCulloch

There is something inherently non-vegan about pizza - THE CHEESE! No matter which way you cut it, pizza simply isn't pizza without one of its three major components: crust, sauce, and cheese. Having said this, there are many delightful pizzerias in the Bay Area that offer vegan pizzas. Most of the time these pizzas are simply pizza minus the cheese (a.k.a. sauce on bread). But I want cheese on my pizza, I NEED cheese on my pizza!

I was told that there are two good pizza joints in San Francisco that offer a soy cheese pizza: Panhandle Pizza (2077 Hayes St.) and Piraat Pizza (696 Sutter St.) I decided to give Piraat Pizza a whirl because of its BART accessibility; the restaurant is only a few blocks away from Union Square. However, I'm always weary of restaurants directly surrounding the Square because they tend to be overpriced and packed with tourists. Thankfully, Piraat Pizza was neither. It is a casual dining-type restaurant where you can take the kids and still eat adult food.

When I first approached Piraat, my first thought was that this couldn't be a vegan-friendly restaurant. For starts, the restaurant's logo has a cartoon chef dressed as a pirate holding a sword that stabs several roasting chickens. But, looking at the menu, I located the place's lone supposedly-vegan pie, the "Haight/Ashbury," made with soy mozzarella, your choice of three sauces (barbecue, creamy garlic, and marinara) and two toppings.

I ordered an individual-sized Haight/Ashbury with marinara sauce and spinach and was generally pleased with my piece of pie. The tomatoes and spinach were fresh and the soy mozzarella had melted surprisingly well (generally speaking, soy cheese doesn't melt like dairy cheeses). But, after a few bites I was certain that the pizza was not vegan.

I asked the server if the pizza was vegan and she said yes. And then I asked if there was any dairy in the pizza and she said yes. When I told her that she had contradicted herself she told me that she didn't know what vegan meant. The owner was even less helpful. He assured me that it was vegan but, also told me that there was butter in the crust. What a hoax! Oh well, it was a pretty good vegetarian pizza and the soy cheese definitely helped to cut back on the dairy.

I wouldn't suggest Piraat Pizza as a destination eatery for purists. But, if you're in the 'hood jonesing for a slice and don't mind a little butter, go ahead and grab a bite. And here's an important lesson for all of you who are trying to adhere to a strict vegan diet: You can't blindly trust restaurants. Many places claim that their food is vegan but they use the same utensils to cut meat and vegetables and other practices that are not acceptable to most vegans. You are probably safer sticking with completely vegan restaurants.

Bob Oabona says:

Sat says:

Peter vv._,___

-- Email: bluerose156 AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com~Boston_GothicBoston_MysticBoston-Pagans