IndiaDivine.org

This may contains...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

OK, here I am!

Another (!) question for you guys. What do you do when it's written at the end of an ingredients list "this may contains milk [or butter, or milk ingredients, or eggs]"? I mean there is no dairy products or eggs in the ingredients list, but there is still this "may con[...]" in small letters. Do you buy it or no? Because there'a a lot of products I buy, like hummus, that you would never suspect to be non-vegans, but if you read it well there is this warning... Arghh...

Just wanted to know what you do in that case!

Edith

Gayalondiel <gayalondiel Sent: Tuesday, July 8, 2008 4:35:25 PMRe: Re: Vegan coming-out

*Raises hand* poorly here - looks like we have a pretty cardre ofexcuses between us :)On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 7:44 PM, E. P. <bi_vegan_freak@ .ca> wrote:> It's one or the rare sunny days of this summer in Montreal!>> I don't want to miss it in front of my computer (what I do actually...> doh!).>> I'll be back Jo, don't worrie :)>> Edith>> > jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, July 8, 2008 1:31:26 PM>

Re: Re: Vegan coming-out>> My goodness - it's quiet on here today. Shame after the people who have> been joining in recently. I hope you haven't all gone away.>> Jo>>> -> Faith> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, July 08, 2008 1:40 AM> Re: Vegan coming-out>> Hello,>> Hm, what to say... that depends a LOT on the audience. Sky put it> beautifully, if you are coming from a place of patience and compassion> your message land better.> A few things I have found helpful to remember when interacting with> others:> * I try to let people ask me rather than coming at them full of> information that they are not wanting to hear. When the women in my> program ask how I stay so thin, I tell them that I lost weight

and> kept it off easily going vegan. This opens the door to a discussion> that they are more willing to hear. I only talk about veganism for as> long at the other person seems receptive. If the talk gets too> heated, I drop it. We can always pick it up later.> * I like to avoid talking about how disgusting non-vegan foods are> over meals. Telling people that there are legal levels of pus allowed> in milk while they're finishing off a tall glass doesn't really go> over well. If people ask me about my reasons for being vegan while we> are eating, I will engage them a bit, then ask if we can continue the> discussion another time.> * I try to remember a few decent references (books, websites) off the> top of my head that I can recommend to others when the information> they are asking for becomes too specific for me to know the exact> answers to. I can tell them

a bit about health, but there are amazing> books, articles, and websites out there with more accurate and up to> date information that what I'm able to hold in my head. I get their> email address and send them links.> * When the interaction is clearly intended to provoke me, I smile, and> ignore the bait. A guy in my class, Hunter... ironically, invites me> to a stake house almost every day while laughing. I always, politely,> decline and thank him for being so thoughtful as to ask me out. My> classmates respect me more for standing by my beliefs without> screaming at them than they would if I allowed myself to act like the> freak they expect me to be. A few of them have gone vegetarian over> the past year!> * Following interactions or days that bring me to my knees, I go home> and vent to other vegans that will understand where I'm coming from.> Because

people do not meet vegans often, I know that each of us, for> better or worse, represent the vegan community at large to people in> our lives. If people see that I am healthy, happy, and strong in my> beliefs, they will be more willing to listen to what I have to say> than if I come off as a judgmental, angry, and whiny about how> deprived I feel.>> I don't know if that answered your question at all. That book, Vegan> Freak, has great advise on all sorts of social situations. My husband> and I love being vegan, I think people see that when we speak to them> about veganism.>> Does anyone know if it is ok to post recipes from books on these> forums? We had the most amazing vegan burritos tonight! I'll share> the recipe if I'm allowed to. :)>> Have a wonderful night,> ~Faith>> @gro ups.com, Beatriz

<searchingalight@ ...> wrote:>>>> Hi Faith :)>> Could You perhaps share a few tips with us on what to say?>> Talking to some people, specially those who aren't sure on whether> fish is animal or vegetable, just makes me swing between frustration,> desperation and irritation :S>> At times it gets really hard to keep my cools :(>> Thanks,>> Beatriz>>> ____________ _________ _________ __> Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Canada Messenger> -- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson@ gmail.com

Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Canada Messenger for the Web BETA

Guest guest

dunno about the labeling laws up there in the great white north....but here they say things like "has been processed on equipment that may have used dairy" etc and so forth

i wonder if your phrasing means the same thing?

but, if i saw something that said "may contain dairy, eggs" i'd steer clear of it meself..along the same lines as "may contain rancind bull testicles"

sorta a gamble no? do we get a price if it DOES contain something "extra"?

"E. P." Jul 8, 2008 1:53 PM This may contains...

OK, here I am!

Another (!) question for you guys. What do you do when it's written at the end of an ingredients list "this may contains milk [or butter, or milk ingredients, or eggs]"? I mean there is no dairy products or eggs in the ingredients list, but there is still this "may con[...]" in small letters. Do you buy it or no? Because there'a a lot of products I buy, like hummus, that you would never suspect to be non-vegans, but if you read it well there is this warning... Arghh...

Edith

Gayalondiel <gayalondiel (AT) livejournal (DOT) com> Sent: Tuesday, July 8, 2008 4:35:25 PMRe: Re: Vegan coming-out

*Raises hand* poorly here - looks like we have a pretty cardre ofexcuses between us :)On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 7:44 PM, E. P. <bi_vegan_freak@ .ca> wrote:> It's one or the rare sunny days of this summer in Montreal!>> I don't want to miss it in front of my computer (what I do actually...> doh!).>> I'll be back Jo, don't worrie :)>> Edith>> > jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, July 8, 2008 1:31:26 PM> Re: Re: Vegan coming-out>> My goodness - it's quiet on here today. Shame after the people who have> been joining in recently. I hope you haven't all gone away.>> Jo>>> -> Faith> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, July 08, 2008 1:40 AM> Re: Vegan coming-out>> Hello,>> Hm, what to say... that depends a LOT on the audience. Sky put it> beautifully, if you are coming from a place of patience and compassion> your message land better.> A few things I have found helpful to remember when interacting with> others:> * I try to let people ask me rather than coming at them full of> information that they are not wanting to hear. When the women in my> program ask how I stay so thin, I tell them that I lost weight and> kept it off easily going vegan. This opens the door to a discussion> that they are more willing to hear. I only talk about veganism for as> long at the other person seems receptive. If the talk gets too> heated, I drop it. We can always pick it up later.> * I like to avoid talking about how disgusting non-vegan foods are> over meals. Telling people that there are legal levels of pus allowed> in milk while they're finishing off a tall glass doesn't really go> over well. If people ask me about my reasons for being vegan while we> are eating, I will engage them a bit, then ask if we can continue the> discussion another time.> * I try to remember a few decent references (books, websites) off the> top of my head that I can recommend to others when the information> they are asking for becomes too specific for me to know the exact> answers to. I can tell them a bit about health, but there are amazing> books, articles, and websites out there with more accurate and up to> date information that what I'm able to hold in my head. I get their> email address and send them links.> * When the interaction is clearly intended to provoke me, I smile, and> ignore the bait. A guy in my class, Hunter... ironically, invites me> to a stake house almost every day while laughing. I always, politely,> decline and thank him for being so thoughtful as to ask me out. My> classmates respect me more for standing by my beliefs without> screaming at them than they would if I allowed myself to act like the> freak they expect me to be. A few of them have gone vegetarian over> the past year!> * Following interactions or days that bring me to my knees, I go home> and vent to other vegans that will understand where I'm coming from.> Because people do not meet vegans often, I know that each of us, for> better or worse, represent the vegan community at large to people in> our lives. If people see that I am healthy, happy, and strong in my> beliefs, they will be more willing to listen to what I have to say> than if I come off as a judgmental, angry, and whiny about how> deprived I feel.>> I don't know if that answered your question at all. That book, Vegan> Freak, has great advise on all sorts of social situations. My husband> and I love being vegan, I think people see that when we speak to them> about veganism.>> Does anyone know if it is ok to post recipes from books on these> forums? We had the most amazing vegan burritos tonight! I'll share> the recipe if I'm allowed to. :)>> Have a wonderful night,> ~Faith>> @gro ups.com, Beatriz <searchingalight@ ...> wrote:>>>> Hi Faith :)>> Could You perhaps share a few tips with us on what to say?>> Talking to some people, specially those who aren't sure on whether> fish is animal or vegetable, just makes me swing between frustration,> desperation and irritation :S>> At times it gets really hard to keep my cools :(>> Thanks,>> Beatriz>>> ____________ _________ _________ __> Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Canada Messenger> -- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson@ gmail.com

Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Canada Messenger for the Web BETA

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

that was supposed to say "prize" not price

stoopid brain

i blame the tofu

fraggle Jul 8, 2008 7:26 PM Re: This may contains...

dunno about the labeling laws up there in the great white north....but here they say things like "has been processed on equipment that may have used dairy" etc and so forth

i wonder if your phrasing means the same thing?

but, if i saw something that said "may contain dairy, eggs" i'd steer clear of it meself..along the same lines as "may contain rancind bull testicles"

sorta a gamble no? do we get a price if it DOES contain something "extra"?

"E. P." Jul 8, 2008 1:53 PM This may contains...

OK, here I am!

Edith

Gayalondiel <gayalondiel (AT) livejournal (DOT) com> Sent: Tuesday, July 8, 2008 4:35:25 PMRe: Re: Vegan coming-out

*Raises hand* poorly here - looks like we have a pretty cardre ofexcuses between us :)On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 7:44 PM, E. P. <bi_vegan_freak@ .ca> wrote:> It's one or the rare sunny days of this summer in Montreal!>> I don't want to miss it in front of my computer (what I do actually...> doh!).>> I'll be back Jo, don't worrie :)>> Edith>> > jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, July 8, 2008 1:31:26 PM> Re: Re: Vegan coming-out>> My goodness - it's quiet on here today. Shame after the people who have> been joining in recently. I hope you haven't all gone away.>> Jo>>> -> Faith> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, July 08, 2008 1:40 AM> Re: Vegan coming-out>> Hello,>> Hm, what to say... that depends a LOT on the audience. Sky put it> beautifully, if you are coming from a place of patience and compassion> your message land better.> A few things I have found helpful to remember when interacting with> others:> * I try to let people ask me rather than coming at them full of> information that they are not wanting to hear. When the women in my> program ask how I stay so thin, I tell them that I lost weight and> kept it off easily going vegan. This opens the door to a discussion> that they are more willing to hear. I only talk about veganism for as> long at the other person seems receptive. If the talk gets too> heated, I drop it. We can always pick it up later.> * I like to avoid talking about how disgusting non-vegan foods are> over meals. Telling people that there are legal levels of pus allowed> in milk while they're finishing off a tall glass doesn't really go> over well. If people ask me about my reasons for being vegan while we> are eating, I will engage them a bit, then ask if we can continue the> discussion another time.> * I try to remember a few decent references (books, websites) off the> top of my head that I can recommend to others when the information> they are asking for becomes too specific for me to know the exact> answers to. I can tell them a bit about health, but there are amazing> books, articles, and websites out there with more accurate and up to> date information that what I'm able to hold in my head. I get their> email address and send them links.> * When the interaction is clearly intended to provoke me, I smile, and> ignore the bait. A guy in my class, Hunter... ironically, invites me> to a stake house almost every day while laughing. I always, politely,> decline and thank him for being so thoughtful as to ask me out. My> classmates respect me more for standing by my beliefs without> screaming at them than they would if I allowed myself to act like the> freak they expect me to be. A few of them have gone vegetarian over> the past year!> * Following interactions or days that bring me to my knees, I go home> and vent to other vegans that will understand where I'm coming from.> Because people do not meet vegans often, I know that each of us, for> better or worse, represent the vegan community at large to people in> our lives. If people see that I am healthy, happy, and strong in my> beliefs, they will be more willing to listen to what I have to say> than if I come off as a judgmental, angry, and whiny about how> deprived I feel.>> I don't know if that answered your question at all. That book, Vegan> Freak, has great advise on all sorts of social situations. My husband> and I love being vegan, I think people see that when we speak to them> about veganism.>> Does anyone know if it is ok to post recipes from books on these> forums? We had the most amazing vegan burritos tonight! I'll share> the recipe if I'm allowed to. :)>> Have a wonderful night,> ~Faith>> @gro ups.com, Beatriz <searchingalight@ ...> wrote:>>>> Hi Faith :)>> Could You perhaps share a few tips with us on what to say?>> Talking to some people, specially those who aren't sure on whether> fish is animal or vegetable, just makes me swing between frustration,> desperation and irritation :S>> At times it gets really hard to keep my cools :(>> Thanks,>> Beatriz>>> ____________ _________ _________ __> Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Canada Messenger> -- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson@ gmail.com

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

I hear it causes dementia when taken with formaldehyde.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:28 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

> that was supposed to say " prize " not price

>

> stoopid brain

>

> i blame the tofu

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Edith

I would try to find a brand that doesn't say that, but if not, it

wouldn't worry me too much. It just means that it is made on the

same production line.

Jo

, " E. P. " <bi_vegan_freak wrote:

>

> OK, here I am!

> Another (!) question for you guys. What do you do when it's written

at the end of an ingredients list " this may contains milk [or butter,

or milk ingredients, or eggs] " ? I mean there is no dairy products or

eggs in the ingredients list, but there is still this " may con[...] "

in small letters. Do you buy it or no? Because there'a a lot of

products I buy, like hummus, that you would never suspect to be non-

vegans, but if you read it well there is this warning... Arghh...

> Just wanted to know what you do in that case!

> Edith

>

>

>

>

> Gayalondiel <gayalondiel

>

> Tuesday, July 8, 2008 4:35:25 PM

> Re: Re: Vegan coming-out

>

>

> *Raises hand* poorly here - looks like we have a pretty cardre of

> excuses between us :)

>

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 7:44 PM, E. P. <bi_vegan_freak@ .ca>

wrote:

> > It's one or the rare sunny days of this summer in Montreal!

> >

> > I don't want to miss it in front of my computer (what I do

actually...

> > doh!).

> >

> > I'll be back Jo, don't worrie :)

> >

> > Edith

> >

> >

> > jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>

> > @gro ups.com

> > Tuesday, July 8, 2008 1:31:26 PM

> > Re: Re: Vegan coming-out

> >

> > My goodness - it's quiet on here today. Shame after the people

who have

> > been joining in recently. I hope you haven't all gone away.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> >

> > -

> > Faith

> > @gro ups.com

> > Tuesday, July 08, 2008 1:40 AM

> > Re: Vegan coming-out

> >

> > Hello,

> >

> > Hm, what to say... that depends a LOT on the audience. Sky put it

> > beautifully, if you are coming from a place of patience and

compassion

> > your message land better.

> > A few things I have found helpful to remember when interacting

with

> > others:

> > * I try to let people ask me rather than coming at them full of

> > information that they are not wanting to hear. When the women in

my

> > program ask how I stay so thin, I tell them that I lost weight and

> > kept it off easily going vegan. This opens the door to a

discussion

> > that they are more willing to hear. I only talk about veganism

for as

> > long at the other person seems receptive. If the talk gets too

> > heated, I drop it. We can always pick it up later.

> > * I like to avoid talking about how disgusting non-vegan foods are

> > over meals. Telling people that there are legal levels of pus

allowed

> > in milk while they're finishing off a tall glass doesn't really go

> > over well. If people ask me about my reasons for being vegan

while we

> > are eating, I will engage them a bit, then ask if we can continue

the

> > discussion another time.

> > * I try to remember a few decent references (books, websites) off

the

> > top of my head that I can recommend to others when the information

> > they are asking for becomes too specific for me to know the exact

> > answers to. I can tell them a bit about health, but there are

amazing

> > books, articles, and websites out there with more accurate and up

to

> > date information that what I'm able to hold in my head. I get

their

> > email address and send them links.

> > * When the interaction is clearly intended to provoke me, I

smile, and

> > ignore the bait. A guy in my class, Hunter... ironically, invites

me

> > to a stake house almost every day while laughing. I always,

politely,

> > decline and thank him for being so thoughtful as to ask me out. My

> > classmates respect me more for standing by my beliefs without

> > screaming at them than they would if I allowed myself to act like

the

> > freak they expect me to be. A few of them have gone vegetarian

over

> > the past year!

> > * Following interactions or days that bring me to my knees, I go

home

> > and vent to other vegans that will understand where I'm coming

from.

> > Because people do not meet vegans often, I know that each of us,

for

> > better or worse, represent the vegan community at large to people

in

> > our lives. If people see that I am healthy, happy, and strong in

my

> > beliefs, they will be more willing to listen to what I have to say

> > than if I come off as a judgmental, angry, and whiny about how

> > deprived I feel.

> >

> > I don't know if that answered your question at all. That book,

Vegan

> > Freak, has great advise on all sorts of social situations. My

husband

> > and I love being vegan, I think people see that when we speak to

them

> > about veganism.

> >

> > Does anyone know if it is ok to post recipes from books on these

> > forums? We had the most amazing vegan burritos tonight! I'll share

> > the recipe if I'm allowed to. :)

> >

> > Have a wonderful night,

> > ~Faith

> >

> > @gro ups.com, Beatriz

<searchingalight@ ...> wrote:

> >>

> >> Hi Faith :)

> >> Could You perhaps share a few tips with us on what to say?

> >> Talking to some people, specially those who aren't sure on

whether

> > fish is animal or vegetable, just makes me swing between

frustration,

> > desperation and irritation :S

> >> At times it gets really hard to keep my cools :(

> >> Thanks,

> >> Beatriz

> >

> >

> > ____________ _________ _________ __

> > Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Canada

Messenger

> >

>

> --

> Ms Madeline J Anderson

> t: 01242 861269

> m: 07881 623654

> e: maddy.anderson@ gmail.com

>

>

>

>

> Canada Toolbar: Search from anywhere on the web, and

bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now at

> http://ca.toolbar..

>

Guest guest

Well, that's the big question.

In Russia we have all kinds of imported products.

Some of their labels say something like " may contain traces of ... "

(and I don't buy them), others say " has been processed on equipment

that also blah-blah-blah ... " (these I buy), but now I begin to

suspect that both may mean the same thing and it's kind of depressing.

Is this really just a matter of rhetoric and labeling laws? What do

you think?

Lena

Guest guest

Those two together are just too dangerous. You better have the formaldehyde without the tofu...--- On Tue, 7/8/08, Maggie Vining <Maggie.Vining wrote:Maggie Vining <Maggie.ViningRe: This may contains... Date: Tuesday, July 8, 2008, 10:59 PM

I hear it causes dementia when taken with formaldehyde.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:28 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

> that was supposed to say "prize" not price

>

> stoopid brain

>

> i blame the tofu

>

>

Guest guest

Well, its up to you. I see a lot of products which have the warning that they are produced in an enviroment, where dairy products are used etc. Doesnt mean they contain them directly, but could be contaminated with them.

Peter vv

E. P. <bi_vegan_freak Sent: Tuesday, 8 July, 2008 9:53:09 PM This may contains...

OK, here I am!

Edith

Gayalondiel <gayalondiel@ livejournal. com>@gro ups.comTuesday, July 8, 2008 4:35:25 PMRe: Re: Vegan coming-out

*Raises hand* poorly here - looks like we have a pretty cardre ofexcuses between us :)On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 7:44 PM, E. P. <bi_vegan_freak@ .ca> wrote:> It's one or the rare sunny days of this summer in Montreal!>> I don't want to miss it in front of my computer (what I do actually...> doh!).>> I'll be back Jo, don't worrie :)>> Edith>> > jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, July 8, 2008 1:31:26 PM>

Re: Re: Vegan coming-out>> My goodness - it's quiet on here today. Shame after the people who have> been joining in recently. I hope you haven't all gone away.>> Jo>>> -> Faith> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, July 08, 2008 1:40 AM> Re: Vegan coming-out>> Hello,>> Hm, what to say... that depends a LOT on the audience. Sky put it> beautifully, if you are coming from a place of patience and compassion> your message land better.> A few things I have found helpful to remember when interacting with> others:> * I try to let people ask me rather than coming at them full of> information that they are not wanting to hear. When the women in my> program ask how I stay so thin, I tell them that I lost weight

and> kept it off easily going vegan. This opens the door to a discussion> that they are more willing to hear. I only talk about veganism for as> long at the other person seems receptive. If the talk gets too> heated, I drop it. We can always pick it up later.> * I like to avoid talking about how disgusting non-vegan foods are> over meals. Telling people that there are legal levels of pus allowed> in milk while they're finishing off a tall glass doesn't really go> over well. If people ask me about my reasons for being vegan while we> are eating, I will engage them a bit, then ask if we can continue the> discussion another time.> * I try to remember a few decent references (books, websites) off the> top of my head that I can recommend to others when the information> they are asking for becomes too specific for me to know the exact> answers to. I can tell them

a bit about health, but there are amazing> books, articles, and websites out there with more accurate and up to> date information that what I'm able to hold in my head. I get their> email address and send them links.> * When the interaction is clearly intended to provoke me, I smile, and> ignore the bait. A guy in my class, Hunter... ironically, invites me> to a stake house almost every day while laughing. I always, politely,> decline and thank him for being so thoughtful as to ask me out. My> classmates respect me more for standing by my beliefs without> screaming at them than they would if I allowed myself to act like the> freak they expect me to be. A few of them have gone vegetarian over> the past year!> * Following interactions or days that bring me to my knees, I go home> and vent to other vegans that will understand where I'm coming from.> Because

people do not meet vegans often, I know that each of us, for> better or worse, represent the vegan community at large to people in> our lives. If people see that I am healthy, happy, and strong in my> beliefs, they will be more willing to listen to what I have to say> than if I come off as a judgmental, angry, and whiny about how> deprived I feel.>> I don't know if that answered your question at all. That book, Vegan> Freak, has great advise on all sorts of social situations. My husband> and I love being vegan, I think people see that when we speak to them> about veganism.>> Does anyone know if it is ok to post recipes from books on these> forums? We had the most amazing vegan burritos tonight! I'll share> the recipe if I'm allowed to. :)>> Have a wonderful night,> ~Faith>> @gro ups.com, Beatriz

<searchingalight@ ...> wrote:>>>> Hi Faith :)>> Could You perhaps share a few tips with us on what to say?>> Talking to some people, specially those who aren't sure on whether> fish is animal or vegetable, just makes me swing between frustration,> desperation and irritation :S>> At times it gets really hard to keep my cools :(>> Thanks,>> Beatriz>>> ____________ _________ _________ __> Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Canada Messenger> -- Ms Madeline J Andersont: 01242 861269m: 07881 623654e: maddy.anderson@ gmail.com

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at