IndiaDivine.org

Post-vegan word haters

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

if you are going to be like that...it's Tourette's

:)

besides, this is english!!! can you think of a language which makes less sense and has more messed up grammatical rules?

go ahead and look up the word cleave....

unlax is a perfectly cromulant word....A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Peter VV Jul 10, 2008 11:37 AM Re: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

I think its some kind of Terrets?

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Thursday, 10 July, 2008 7:39:22 PMRe: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

It certainly can't make sense. What is wrong with the chap when he can't just say what he means with the correct word.

Jo

-

Peter Kebbell

@gro ups.com

Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:35 PM

Re: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

HmmmProblem being, that words in English have certain roots (i.e. etymology). So, "lax" as the suffix of the word "relax" comes from latin, and means "loose" or "slack". "Re" is a common prefix meaning "to return to"... therefore, relax makes perfect sense in its etymological roots: "to return to a state of looseness"."Un", on the other hand, means "to move away from", so "unlax" etymologically means "to move away from a state of looseness".. . i.e. to tense up. No matter how you look at it, it can't etymologically make sense any other way!BBPeter

2008/7/10 fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>:

methinks its a combination/ contraction of unwind and relax...

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

You should try Welsh..........

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Thursday, 10 July, 2008 8:51:30 PMRe: Re: Post-vegan word haters

besides, this is english!!! can you think of a language which makes less sense and has more messed up grammatical rules?

unlax is a perfectly cromulant word....A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Peter VV Jul 10, 2008 11:37 AM @gro ups.com Re: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comThursday, 10 July, 2008 7:39:22 PMRe: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

It certainly can't make sense. What is wrong with the chap when he can't just say what he means with the correct word.

Jo

-

Peter Kebbell

@gro ups.com

HmmmProblem being, that words in English have certain roots (i.e. etymology). So, "lax" as the suffix of the word "relax" comes from latin, and means "loose" or "slack". "Re" is a common prefix meaning "to return to"... therefore, relax makes perfect sense in its etymological roots: "to return to a state of looseness"."Un", on the other hand, means "to move away from", so "unlax" etymologically means "to move away from a state of looseness".. . i.e. to tense up. No matter how you look at it, it can't etymologically make sense any other way!BBPeter

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

are you flirting with me?????

*bats eyelashes*

Peter VV Jul 10, 2008 12:03 PM Re: Re: Post-vegan word haters

You should try Welsh..........

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Thursday, 10 July, 2008 8:51:30 PMRe: Re: Post-vegan word haters

Peter VV Jul 10, 2008 11:37 AM @gro ups.com Re: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comThursday, 10 July, 2008 7:39:22 PMRe: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

Jo

-

Peter Kebbell

@gro ups.com

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

you better believe it BIG BOY!

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Thursday, 10 July, 2008 9:10:05 PMRe: Re: Post-vegan word haters

are you flirting with me?????

*bats eyelashes*

Peter VV Jul 10, 2008 12:03 PM @gro ups.com Re: Re: Post-vegan word haters

You should try Welsh....... ...

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comThursday, 10 July, 2008 8:51:30 PMRe: Re: Post-vegan word haters

Peter vv

Jo

-

Peter Kebbell

@gro ups.com

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

> besides, this is english!!! can you think of a language which makes less sense and has more messed up grammatical rules?

I don't know enough about other languages... but gramatically, English makes pretty much perfect sense. If you know the root language of the word you're using, it is very consistent - what makes it look confusing is the fact that there are around 5 different root languages (Latin, Greek, Norman, Saxon / Old Germanic, Norse).

> go ahead and look up the word cleave....

Yes - there are two different meanings, each with very different roots (one is Western Germanic, the other is Proto Indo-European). If you know the etymology, you understand the difference, and it makes perfect sense.

> unlax is a perfectly cromulant word....

> A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Oh dear - someone has been watching too much Simpsons....

BB

Peter

Guest guest

too much simpsons? those words make no sense strung together like that

yeah, great, the roots...99.999999% of english speakers don't and won't know the root of a word, be it's indo european formation, or olde english, germanic, french, sanskrit, or whatever...and, won't care.

ok..cleave....how about

live

sow

refuse

appropriate

oh, why oh why do i let myself get dragged into these discussions. i swear you guys plant these stories! it's all a conspiracy! yer all against me! i demand to see the manager!

Peter Jul 11, 2008 1:28 AM Re: Re: Post-vegan word haters

Hi Fraggle

> besides, this is english!!! can you think of a language which makes less sense and has more messed up grammatical rules?

I don't know enough about other languages... but gramatically, English makes pretty much perfect sense. If you know the root language of the word you're using, it is very consistent - what makes it look confusing is the fact that there are around 5 different root languages (Latin, Greek, Norman, Saxon / Old Germanic, Norse).

Yes - there are two different meanings, each with very different roots (one is Western Germanic, the other is Proto Indo-European). If you know the etymology, you understand the difference, and it makes perfect sense.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

It is still possible to talk correctly without knowing the root.

Jo

-

fraggle

Friday, July 11, 2008 3:45 PM

Re: Re: Post-vegan word haters

yeah, great, the roots...99.999999% of english speakers don't and won't know the root of a word, be it's indo european formation, or olde english, germanic, french, sanskrit, or whatever...and, won't care.

ok..cleave....how about

live

sow

refuse

appropriate

oh, why oh why do i let myself get dragged into these discussions. i swear you guys plant these stories! it's all a conspiracy! yer all against me! i demand to see the manager!

Peter Jul 11, 2008 1:28 AM Re: Re: Post-vegan word haters

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

Guest guest

ermmmmmmmmm - yes. English with some of the new American editions!

Jo

Guest guest

You may have noticed my error (just testing :-) )

edition should have been additions.

Jo

ermmmmmmmmm - yes. English with some of the new American editions!

Guest guest

Hi FraggleI'm not going to become an etymological dictionary :-)Fact remains that, until the past about 5 years, the English language *has* made sense. It seems that journalists have now decided that rather than use a language which makes sense, they want to put their mark on the world by inventing words which make no sense at all...

BBPeter2008/7/11 fraggle <EBbrewpunx:

ok..cleave....how about

live

sow

refuse

appropriate

Peter Jul 11, 2008 1:28 AM

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

Guest guest

I see you are all enjoying this now its in full flow.

My work here is done..................

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Friday, 11 July, 2008 3:45:16 PMRe: Re: Post-vegan word haters

ok..cleave.. ..how about

live

sow

refuse

appropriate

Peter Jul 11, 2008 1:28 AM @gro ups.com Re: Re: Post-vegan word haters

Hi Fraggle

Yes - there are two different meanings, each with very different roots (one is Western Germanic, the other is Proto Indo-European) . If you know the etymology, you understand the difference, and it makes perfect sense.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Is that a smug tone I hear in your voice :-)

Jo

-

Peter VV

Friday, July 11, 2008 8:04 PM

My work here is done..................

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Friday, 11 July, 2008 3:45:16 PMRe: Re: Post-vegan word haters

ok..cleave.. ..how about

live

sow

refuse

appropriate

Hi Fraggle

Yes - there are two different meanings, each with very different roots (one is Western Germanic, the other is Proto Indo-European) . If you know the etymology, you understand the difference, and it makes perfect sense.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

smug? no, satisfied? possibly.............and for my next trick..........

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Friday, 11 July, 2008 9:43:14 PMRe: Re: Post-vegan word haters

Is that a smug tone I hear in your voice :-)

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Friday, July 11, 2008 8:04 PM

My work here is done........ ......... .

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comFriday, 11 July, 2008 3:45:16 PMRe: Re: Post-vegan word haters

ok..cleave.. ..how about

live

sow

refuse

appropriate

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

Guest guest

The multiple meanings make crossword puzzles fun!

At 7:45 AM -0700 7/11/08, fraggle wrote:

too much simpsons? those words make no sense strung together like

that

yeah, great, the roots...99.999999% of english speakers don't and

won't know the root of a word, be it's indo european formation, or

olde english, germanic, french, sanskrit, or whatever...and, won't

care.

ok..cleave....how about

live

sow

refuse

appropriate

oh, why oh why do i let myself get dragged into these

discussions. i swear you guys plant these stories! it's all a

conspiracy! yer all against me! i demand to see the manager!