IndiaDivine.org

Norwich: Pulse

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Although I eat pretty much anything, I regularly eat only vegetarian, so I was more than willing to take on the mission of a vegan-only meal at a Norwich eatery.There was nowhere better than Pulse, the intimate, light, airy and relaxed vegan (and vegetarian) restaurant tucked away above a whole food shop just off Gaol Hill near the market.I've been in before and have never been disappointed. On this occasion, the three of us visited for an evening meal, although I'd only been in during the day and it was a great setting for a summer evening. There was even a guitar playing boy which although I thought could've been too intrusive was actually a pleasant addition with his worthy folky music.For starters, we decided to choose three dishes and share them, so opted for kashmiri coconut, pumpkin and courgette sprint roll with peanut and sambai dip (£4.50), homemade hummus with bread

(£1.90), which arrived with one slice of brown bread, and garlic bread (£1.90). All vegan, and there was even more choices which were vegan adaptable.The menu is quite extensive, not massive but there are at least three vegan options for each section. About 12 dishes, things like bruschetta, were not available after 6pm but there was plenty to try even for this vegan alternative.All arrived in super quick time while we could see them being made in the nearby open kitchen.The mound of hummus - and it was a mound - was gorgeous, tasted homemade and not too garlicy, the spring roll thing was a smidge greasy, but they do tend to be, and had the most unusual flavour, kind of cinammony and floral with this really tasty accompanying pate like dip and generous heap of salad leaves. The garlic bread was one of those smallish naan type affairs and was laden with butter and herbs. We all felt a little full after the three and wondered if

we'd have room for our main courses, my eating companions opting for fragrant Thai curry with sweet potato, bok choi and broccoli served with coconut rice (£7.50) and myself choosing chickpea burger and side salad - again all vegan.My burger was yummy. I had a grilled tomato on top and onion ring with the burger sitting on a piece of ciabatta. I make lentil burgers at home but this just tops the bill, it didn't fall apart, it had a rich chickpea flavour but was really smooth, sometimes I think chickpeas can be almost rough and bitter, but this wasn't and there were little additions - like the tomato that added to the taste.The Thai curry was even better, with a pile of rice, plenty of juice and vegetables of bak choi, carrots, sweet potatoes and butternut squash, it was amazing. On my next visit I will most definitely be choosing this also.

As curries go as well I found this refreshingly non-greasy, I guess because they do not use butter to keep it vegan. We were too stuffed for one of the vegan desserts, either strawberry cheesecake (£4.25) or ice-cream (£3.50 for three scoops or £1.25 for one) but next time I will partake. For vegans, vegetarians and meat eaters if you haven't eaten in Pulse yet then make time for a visit.

Pulse, Labour in Vain Yard, Norwich, 01603 765562

Open: Mon10am-6pm, Tues-Wed 10am-10pm, Thurs-Sat 10am-11pm, Sun11.30am-4pm.

Prices: Nibbles £1.90, starters £4.95, mains £7.50, desserts £4

Wheelchair access: No, steep flight of steps, no lift.RATINGSFood: ****Service: ***Atmosphere: ***Family: ***

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at