IndiaDivine.org

Putting the veggies back in the Northland

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

http://www.duluthbudgeteer.com/articles/index.cfm?id=22616 & section=homepage & freebie_check & CFID=60727027 & CFTOKEN=98626073 & jsessionid=883010a4c70079583275

Jillian Forte, a line cook and a kitchen manager at At Sara’s Table Chester Creek Café, recently crossed over to the dark side (it was the bacon at work that got her back on meat).

But she still cooks up a great vegetarian meal. In fact, the restaurant is well-known for its many vegetarian and vegan offerings.

Jillian Forte, a line cook and a kitchen manager at At Sara’s Table Chester Creek Café, cooks up some vegetable stock. At Sara’s Table Chester Creek Café has many different options for vegetarians. Matt Suoja/Budgeteer News

RELATED CONTENT

Add a comment

Matt Suoja ArchiveSo, what’s the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan?

“A vegetarian just won’t eat meat,†Forte said. “A vegan won’t eat any meat products or dairy products; some won’t even eat honey because it’s made by a bee.â€

There are some semi-vegetarian diets (if they can be called that) that do include fish and/or chicken.

Forte said that between 10 and 15 percent of her customers are vegetarian, but it’s hard to judge who is a vegetarian because the restaurant has many vegetarian dishes.

Even though the vegetarian diet doesn’t include meat, Forte said it’s not difficult to get enough protein in one’s daily meals.

“It takes, like, two or three tablespoons of peanut butter, and that’s all the protein you need for a day,†she said. “They say most people eat too much protein.â€

No matter what the diet, it can have an affect one’s mood.

“I think I did feel better (when I was a vegetarian),†Forte said. “I think I feel more sluggish now.â€

Carla Blumberg, one of the owners of the restaurant, is a former vegetarian.

“The only reason I’m not a vegetarian now is because I’m lazy and because I like the taste of meat,†Blumberg said. “It’s not good for me, and I shouldn’t be eating it. It’s too high up on the food chain. It would be better for the planet if we were all vegetarians.â€

To possibly make for a better planet, enjoy some of the vegetables in season.

Blumberg said some of the top vegetables around this time of the year are the “leafy stuff†like kale, broccoli, lettuce and maybe cabbage.

Now, on with the recipes.

Bruce’s Roasted Red Pepper Pesto

Ingredients:

8 red bell peppers

4 yellow bell peppers

2 cups walnuts

1/2 cup fresh basil

1/2 cup Italian parsley

6 cloves garlic

1 cup extra virgin olive oil

Directions: Cut in half and seed bell peppers. Roast in oven or over flame until skin is charred. Place in bowl and cover with tight lid or film to cool. Place walnuts, basil, parsley and garlic in food processor. Remove charred skin from peppers and chop coarsely. Put peppers in food processor. Start blade and slowly add olive oil until emulsified. Serve on pasta or use as pizza sauce.

— Recipe courtesy of At Sara’s Table Chester Creek Café

Shane’s Northern Italian Caponata

Ingredients:

2 red onions, small dice

4 medium carrots, small dice

2 peeled eggplants, small dice

7 to 10 par-boiled Yukon potatoes, small dice

1/2 cup roasted pine nuts

2/3 cup golden raisins

2 tablespoons orange zest

1 teaspoon chili flakes

1 cup white wine vinegar

3 tablespoons basil chiffonade

2 tablespoons sugar

Directions: Use olive oil to cook the vegetables until tender (except for potatoes). Add potatoes, chili flakes and pine nuts. Cook for another five minutes and season with salt and pepper. In a separate pot, cook the sugar, vinegar, zest and raisins. Reduce until a syrup. Combine syrup, basil chiffonade and cooked vegetables. Check seasoning and adjust if needed. Cool on a sheet pan. Serve with salmon. If potatoes are not included, serve with some crostini.

— Courtesy of At Sara’s Table Chester Creek Café

Vegetable Stir-fry

Ingredients:

1 red bell pepper

1 green bell pepper

1 sweet onion

1 can sliced water chestnuts

Sliced mushrooms ( I buy a package of already-sliced fresh mushrooms from

the grocery store, it saves a lot of time)

1 package snow peas

Ingredients for sauce:

Peanut sauce (You can make your own or buy it. I suggest House of Tsang Bangkok Padang Peanut Sauce. You can find it at most local grocers.)

Low-sodium soy sauce

Extra virgin olive oil

Directions: Start your rice first, as it takes quite awhile to cook. Follow the instructions on the bag/box. (You can use an “instant†brown rice if trying to make this a little quicker.)

Next, chop your peppers into chunks (1/2-inch to 1-inch squares), and chop your onion into similar size chunks. Drain your can of water chestnuts. Put your sauté pan on medium heat, pour in enough olive oil to lightly coat the pan.Put peppers and water chestnuts into pan, add some soy sauce and peanut sauce. Add your onions and mushrooms, continue to stir the veggies as you sauté them. *Add however many mushrooms you want. You do not need the entire package. Add peanut sauce, soy sauce and olive oil to taste. (You will not need much more olive oil than what you started with.) The veggies should be lightly coated in the mixture. If you like it spicy, then add more peanut sauce; if not, use a little more soy and a drop more of the olive oil. Your personal taste really determines the outcome. Finally add your snow peas. *You do not have to add the entire package of snow peas, just however many you like.

These cook quickly, that is why we save them for last. Sauté for a few more minutes once the snow peas are added, then remove from heat. Serve over a bed of brown rice.

(Another hint: You can add pineapple chunks for a little sweetness or add your favorite vegetable to create your favorite mix.)

— Recipe courtesy of Meghan Dahlin, Living North magazine advertising representative

Stacked tortillas

Ingredients:

12 corn tortillas

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 red onion, thinly sliced

1 large whole portobello mushroom, thinly sliced

2 carrots, grated

1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced

1/2 teaspoon salt

pepper

1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack, grated

1 cup salsa

4 to 8 tablespoons sour cream

1/2 cup scallions, chopped

Directions: Arrange tortillas directly on oven rack so that they don’t overlap, then turn on oven at 400 degrees. (You may need to do this in two batches.) Bake for about five minutes, until hardened. Leave oven on and use tongs to transfer tortillas to a plate.

Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat, add onion and sauté, stirring frequently for three to four minutes. Add vegetables and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until vegetables are just tender — about five minutes. Remove from heat and add salt and pepper.

Place four tortillas on baking sheet, spread a couple spoonfuls of vegetables on each, top with cheese and place a tortilla on top. Repeat so that you have four stacks with three tortillas each.

Bake for 10 minutes until hot and melted. Serve with sides of salsa, sour cream and scallions.

Side dish: Mix a can of refried beans with cooked rice and cilantro.

— Recipe courtesy of Holly Henry, Living North magazine editor

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at