IndiaDivine.org

Six Words to Live By

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Well, this is another new one on me.........."near vegan".seems daft to me.

http://alamedasun.com/index.php?option=com_content & task=view & id=3650 & Itemid=31

There's a site on the Internet called Smith Magazine (smithmag.net) that I've only recently discovered. It's a storytelling site and on it are a few creative writing exercises. One has really stirred me up, called "Six-Word Momoirs," in which the site poses the question: What can you say about motherhood in just six words? The entry I submitted was: "It's all going by too fast." Not as clever as Michelle Norman's "Stretchmarks are the roadmap of life," but it's pretty much how I feel these days. How did it get to be summer already? And soon school will open and then it's Christmas and then high school and college and, well, you get the picture.

For the two or three of you paying attention and remotely interested, I am still pursuing a near-vegan lifestyle. (A near-vegan is someone who doesn't eat meat or dairy, but might eat honey and wear leather.) It's been an incredible learning experience and I continue to learn new things every day, some good — like, quinoa (keen-wa) is a power food! It's a whole grain with a lot of protein! and some not so good, like Trader Joe's Joe-Joe cookies are vegan! After consuming several boxes on my own (It's vegan! It has to be good for you!), I must now look away when I get to that section of the Trader Joe's at South Shore.

I am enjoying this focus on food. I haven't been as obsessive as I usually am when I "diet," which is a method that always ends in ruin. This time, I am approaching food with a researcher's eye, as well as an open mind and palate. It has been a challenge to feed the girls and me, for now we have a near-vegan, a vegetarian and two carnivores in the house. I work hard to have a dinnertime, when we sit around the table, eat roughly the same meal (with a few alterations depending on who you are) and spend some time together.

We leave soon for our summer trip to the East Coast, and I am curious as to how I will handle being a near-vegan on the road. I have already told the girls that I am eating pizza — the horribly unhealthy New York-style with mounds of melted cheese, cut into triangles you have to fold and hold over the plate letting the grease drip off before you take the first bite. Oh, yes, and I will have a soft-serve vanilla cone dipped in chocolate on the boardwalk down the Shore. I am not even sure if it's truly ice cream, but who cares?

People have been asking me why I am doing "this whole vegan thing," as my sister calls it. What was at first a lark, a "can-I-make-it-through-Lent" experiment, has morphed into a daily trial and error of healthy living. I haven't lost much weight, but I feel better — lighter, somehow. I also can't help thinking that I am contributing to the fight for the environment in my own small way. Maybe it will lengthen my time on this earth, help reduce my carbon footprint while allowing me to take a few more steps and spend more time with my family, my beautiful children. Because these days I feel it's all rushing by me too quickly.

So my near-vegan experience can be expressed in six words: An attempt to add more time.

Mary Lee Shalvoy is an Alameda writer and mother of three.

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

too lazy to write "strict dietary vegetarian"?

ah, alameda; the Des Moines of the East Bay....

Peter VV Jul 25, 2008 11:11 AM Re: Six Words to Live By

http://alamedasun.com/index.php?option=com_content & task=view & id=3650 & Itemid=31 There's a site on the Internet called Smith Magazine (smithmag.net) that I've only recently discovered. It's a storytelling site and on it are a few creative writing exercises. One has really stirred me up, called "Six-Word Momoirs," in which the site poses the question: What can you say about motherhood in just six words? The entry I submitted was: "It's all going by too fast." Not as clever as Michelle Norman's "Stretchmarks are the roadmap of life," but it's pretty much how I feel these days. How did it get to be summer already? And soon school will open and then it's Christmas and then high school and college and, well, you get the picture.

For the two or three of you paying attention and remotely interested, I am still pursuing a near-vegan lifestyle. (A near-vegan is someone who doesn't eat meat or dairy, but might eat honey and wear leather.) It's been an incredible learning experience and I continue to learn new things every day, some good — like, quinoa (keen-wa) is a power food! It's a whole grain with a lot of protein! and some not so good, like Trader Joe's Joe-Joe cookies are vegan! After consuming several boxes on my own (It's vegan! It has to be good for you!), I must now look away when I get to that section of the Trader Joe's at South Shore.

I am enjoying this focus on food. I haven't been as obsessive as I usually am when I "diet," which is a method that always ends in ruin. This time, I am approaching food with a researcher's eye, as well as an open mind and palate. It has been a challenge to feed the girls and me, for now we have a near-vegan, a vegetarian and two carnivores in the house. I work hard to have a dinnertime, when we sit around the table, eat roughly the same meal (with a few alterations depending on who you are) and spend some time together.

We leave soon for our summer trip to the East Coast, and I am curious as to how I will handle being a near-vegan on the road. I have already told the girls that I am eating pizza — the horribly unhealthy New York-style with mounds of melted cheese, cut into triangles you have to fold and hold over the plate letting the grease drip off before you take the first bite. Oh, yes, and I will have a soft-serve vanilla cone dipped in chocolate on the boardwalk down the Shore. I am not even sure if it's truly ice cream, but who cares?

People have been asking me why I am doing "this whole vegan thing," as my sister calls it. What was at first a lark, a "can-I-make-it-through-Lent" experiment, has morphed into a daily trial and error of healthy living. I haven't lost much weight, but I feel better — lighter, somehow. I also can't help thinking that I am contributing to the fight for the environment in my own small way. Maybe it will lengthen my time on this earth, help reduce my carbon footprint while allowing me to take a few more steps and spend more time with my family, my beautiful children. Because these days I feel it's all rushing by me too quickly.

So my near-vegan experience can be expressed in six words: An attempt to add more time.

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

*snerk*

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 3:17 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

too lazy to write " strict dietary vegetarian " ?

Peter VV Jul 25, 2008 11:11 AM

Re: Six Words to Live By

Well, this is another new one on me.......... " near vegan " .seems daft to me.

http://alamedasun.com/index.php?option=com_content & task=view & id=3650 & Itemid=31

There's a site on the Internet called Smith Magazine (smithmag.net) that I've only recently discovered. It's a storytelling site and on it are a few creative writing exercises. One has really stirred me up, called " Six-Word Momoirs, " in which the site poses the question: What can you say about motherhood in just six words? The entry I submitted was: " It's all going by too fast. " Not as clever as Michelle Norman's " Stretchmarks are the roadmap of life, " but it's pretty much how I feel these days. How did it get to be summer already? And soon school will open and then it's Christmas and then high school and college and, well, you get the picture.

I am enjoying this focus on food. I haven't been as obsessive as I usually am when I " diet, " which is a method that always ends in ruin. This time, I am approaching food with a researcher's eye, as well as an open mind and palate. It has been a challenge to feed the girls and me, for now we have a near-vegan, a vegetarian and two carnivores in the house. I work hard to have a dinnertime, when we sit around the table, eat roughly the same meal (with a few alterations depending on who you are) and spend some time together.

People have been asking me why I am doing " this whole vegan thing, " as my sister calls it. What was at first a lark, a " can-I-make-it-through-Lent " experiment, has morphed into a daily trial and error of healthy living. I haven't lost much weight, but I feel better — lighter, somehow. I also can't help thinking that I am contributing to the fight for the environment in my own small way. Maybe it will lengthen my time on this earth, help reduce my carbon footprint while allowing me to take a few more steps and spend more time with my family, my beautiful children. Because these days I feel it's all rushing by me too quickly.

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

-- Email: bluerose156AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com

~Boston_GothicBoston_MysticBoston-Pagans

Guest guest

Is snerk a word or an affliction, or maybe a small furry rodent type ting?

Peter vv

Blue Rose <bluerose156 Sent: Friday, 25 July, 2008 8:18:58 PMRe: Six Words to Live By

*snerk*

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 3:17 PM, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net> wrote:

Peter VV Jul 25, 2008 11:11 AM @gro ups.com Re: Six Words to Live By

http://alamedasun. com/index. php?option= com_content & task=view & id=3650 & Itemid=31 There's a site on the Internet called Smith Magazine (smithmag.net) that I've only recently discovered. It's a storytelling site and on it are a few creative writing exercises. One has really stirred me up, called "Six-Word Momoirs," in which the site poses the question: What can you say about motherhood in just six words? The entry I submitted was: "It's all going by too fast." Not as clever as Michelle Norman's "Stretchmarks are the roadmap of life," but it's pretty much how I feel these days. How did it get to be summer already? And soon school will open and then it's Christmas and then high school and college and, well, you get the picture.

People have been asking me why I am doing "this whole vegan thing," as my sister calls it. What was at first a lark, a "can-I-make-it- through-Lent" experiment, has morphed into a daily trial and error of healthy living. I haven't lost much weight, but I feel better — lighter, somehow. I also can't help thinking that I am contributing to the fight for the environment in my own small way. Maybe it will lengthen my time on this earth, help reduce my carbon footprint while allowing me to take a few more steps and spend more time with my family, my beautiful children. Because these days I feel it's all rushing by me too quickly.

Peter vv

-- Email: bluerose156@ gmail.comAIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose- x.livejournal. com~http://groups. / group/Boston_ Gothichttp://groups. / group/Boston_ Mystichttp://groups. / group/Boston- Pagans

Guest guest

I am sure that means something to 5% of the earths population........

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Friday, 25 July, 2008 8:17:31 PMRe: Six Words to Live By

Well, this is another new one on me.......... "near vegan".seems daft to me.

http://alamedasun. com/index. php?option= com_content & task=view & id=3650 & Itemid=31 There's a site on the Internet called Smith Magazine (smithmag.net) that I've only recently discovered. It's a storytelling site and on it are a few creative writing exercises. One has really stirred me up, called "Six-Word Momoirs," in which the site poses the question: What can you say about motherhood in just six words? The entry I submitted was: "It's all going by too fast." Not as clever as Michelle Norman's "Stretchmarks are the roadmap of life," but it's pretty much how I feel these days. How did it get to be summer already? And soon school will open and then it's Christmas and then high school and college and, well, you get the picture.

People have been asking me why I am doing "this whole vegan thing," as my sister calls it. What was at first a lark, a "can-I-make- it-through- Lent" experiment, has morphed into a daily trial and error of healthy living. I haven't lost much weight, but I feel better — lighter, somehow. I also can't help thinking that I am contributing to the fight for the environment in my own small way. Maybe it will lengthen my time on this earth, help reduce my carbon footprint while allowing me to take a few more steps and spend more time with my family, my beautiful children. Because these days I feel it's all rushing by me too quickly.

Peter vv

Guest guest

..05% more like it

the 5% gets the "vegan" reference

Peter VV Jul 25, 2008 11:32 AM Re: Six Words to Live By

I am sure that means something to 5% of the earths population........

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Friday, 25 July, 2008 8:17:31 PMRe: Six Words to Live By

People have been asking me why I am doing "this whole vegan thing," as my sister calls it. What was at first a lark, a "can-I-make- it-through- Lent" experiment, has morphed into a daily trial and error of healthy living. I haven't lost much weight, but I feel better — lighter, somehow. I also can't help thinking that I am contributing to the fight for the environment in my own small way. Maybe it will lengthen my time on this earth, help reduce my carbon footprint while allowing me to take a few more steps and spend more time with my family, my beautiful children. Because these days I feel it's all rushing by me too quickly.

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

It's onomatopeia. Think of the sound you make when you try to snicker and guffaw at the same time.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

Peter vv

Blue Rose <bluerose156

Friday, 25 July, 2008 8:18:58 PMRe: Six Words to Live By

*snerk*

too lazy to write " strict dietary vegetarian " ?

Peter VV Jul 25, 2008 11:11 AM @gro ups.com

Well, this is another new one on me.......... " near vegan " .seems daft to me.

http://alamedasun. com/index. php?option= com_content & task=view & id=3650 & Itemid=31

There's a site on the Internet called Smith Magazine (smithmag.net) that I've only recently discovered. It's a storytelling site and on it are a few creative writing exercises. One has really stirred me up, called " Six-Word Momoirs, " in which the site poses the question: What can you say about motherhood in just six words? The entry I submitted was: " It's all going by too fast. " Not as clever as Michelle Norman's " Stretchmarks are the roadmap of life, " but it's pretty much how I feel these days. How did it get to be summer already? And soon school will open and then it's Christmas and then high school and college and, well, you get the picture.

I am enjoying this focus on food. I haven't been as obsessive as I usually am when I " diet, " which is a method that always ends in ruin. This time, I am approaching food with a researcher's eye, as well as an open mind and palate. It has been a challenge to feed the girls and me, for now we have a near-vegan, a vegetarian and two carnivores in the house. I work hard to have a dinnertime, when we sit around the table, eat roughly the same meal (with a few alterations depending on who you are) and spend some time together.

People have been asking me why I am doing " this whole vegan thing, " as my sister calls it. What was at first a lark, a " can-I-make-it- through-Lent " experiment, has morphed into a daily trial and error of healthy living. I haven't lost much weight, but I feel better — lighter, somehow. I also can't help thinking that I am contributing to the fight for the environment in my own small way. Maybe it will lengthen my time on this earth, help reduce my carbon footprint while allowing me to take a few more steps and spend more time with my family, my beautiful children. Because these days I feel it's all rushing by me too quickly.

Peter vv

-- Email: bluerose156@ gmail.comAIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose- x.livejournal. com

~http://groups. / group/Boston_ Gothichttp://groups. / group/Boston_ Mystic

http://groups. / group/Boston- Pagans

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at -- Email: bluerose156AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156

http://x-bluerose-x.livejournal.com~Boston_GothicBoston_Mystic

Boston-Pagans

Guest guest

its on what mat peter?

Peter vv

Blue Rose <bluerose156 Sent: Friday, 25 July, 2008 8:35:53 PMRe: Six Words to Live By

It's onomatopeia. Think of the sound you make when you try to snicker and guffaw at the same time.

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter vv

Blue Rose <bluerose156@ gmail.com>@gro ups.com

*snerk*

People have been asking me why I am doing "this whole vegan thing," as my sister calls it. What was at first a lark, a "can-I-make-it- through-Lent" experiment, has morphed into a daily trial and error of healthy living. I haven't lost much weight, but I feel better — lighter, somehow. I also can't help thinking that I am contributing to the fight for the environment in my own small way. Maybe it will lengthen my time on this earth, help reduce my carbon footprint while allowing me to take a few more steps and spend more time with my family, my beautiful children. Because these days I feel it's all rushing by me too quickly.

Peter vv

-- Email: bluerose156@ gmail.comAIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose- x.livejournal. com~http://groups. / group/Boston_ Gothichttp://groups. / group/Boston_ Mystichttp://groups. / group/Boston- Pagans

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at -- Email: bluerose156@ gmail.comAIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose- x.livejournal. com~http://groups. / group/Boston_ Gothichttp://groups. / group/Boston_ Mystichttp://groups. / group/Boston- Pagans

Guest guest

Dictionary: onomatopoeia (Ån'É™-măt'É™-pÄ“'É™, -mä'tÉ™-)

n. The formation or use of words such as buzz or murmur that imitate the sounds associated with the objects or actions they refer to.

[Late Latin, from Greek onomatopoiiÄ, from onomatopoios, coiner of names : onoma, onomat-, name + poiein, to make.]onomatopoeic on'o·mat'o·poe'ic or on'o·mat'o·po·et'ic (-pÅ-Ä•t'Ä­k) adj.onomatopoeically on'o·mat'o·poe'i·cal·ly or on'o·mat'o·po·et'i·cal·ly adv.

Peter VV Jul 25, 2008 11:42 AM Re: Six Words to Live By

its on what mat peter?

Peter vv

Blue Rose <bluerose156 > Sent: Friday, 25 July, 2008 8:35:53 PMRe: Six Words to Live By

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Peter vv

*snerk*

Peter vv

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at -- Email: bluerose156@ gmail.comAIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156http://x-bluerose- x.livejournal. com~http://groups. / group/Boston_ Gothichttp://groups. / group/Boston_ Mystichttp://groups. / group/Boston- Pagans

Guest guest

why do you play right in to my hands? its just too easy some times...............

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Friday, 25 July, 2008 8:51:15 PMRe: Six Words to Live By

Dictionary: onomatopoeia (Ån'É™-măt'É™-pÄ“'É™, -mä'tÉ™-)

n. The formation or use of words such as buzz or murmur that imitate the sounds associated with the objects or actions they refer to.

[Late Latin, from Greek onomatopoiiÄ, from onomatopoios, coiner of names : onoma, onomat-, name + poiein, to make.]onomatopoeic on'o·mat'o·poe'ic or on'o·mat'o·po·et'ic (-pÅ-Ä•t'Ä­k) adj.onomatopoeically

on'o·mat'o·poe'i·cal·ly or on'o·mat'o·po·et'i·cal·ly adv.

Peter VV Jul 25, 2008 11:42 AM @gro ups.com Re: Six Words to Live By

its on what mat peter?

Peter vv

Blue Rose <bluerose156@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comFriday, 25 July, 2008 8:35:53 PMRe: Six Words to Live By

Peter vv

*snerk*

People have been asking me why I am doing "this whole vegan thing," as my sister calls it. What was at first a lark, a "can-I-make- it- through-Lent" experiment, has morphed into a daily trial and error of healthy living. I haven't lost much weight, but I feel better — lighter, somehow. I also can't help thinking that I am contributing to the fight for the environment in my own small way. Maybe it will lengthen my time on this earth, help reduce my carbon footprint while allowing me to take a few more steps and spend more time with my family, my beautiful children. Because these days I feel it's all rushing by me too quickly.

Peter vv

Guest guest

Hi Peter

I always think of the term "near vegan" a bit like the term "near pregnant". You either are, or you aren't!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Friday, July 25, 2008 8:11 PM

http://alamedasun.com/index.php?option=com_content & task=view & id=3650 & Itemid=31 There's a site on the Internet called Smith Magazine (smithmag.net) that I've only recently discovered. It's a storytelling site and on it are a few creative writing exercises. One has really stirred me up, called "Six-Word Momoirs," in which the site poses the question: What can you say about motherhood in just six words? The entry I submitted was: "It's all going by too fast." Not as clever as Michelle Norman's "Stretchmarks are the roadmap of life," but it's pretty much how I feel these days. How did it get to be summer already? And soon school will open and then it's Christmas and then high school and college and, well, you get the picture.

Peter vv

Guest guest

Yep,

Sounds like nearly commited to me!

Peter vv

Peter <metalscarab Sent: Saturday, 26 July, 2008 9:43:40 AMRe: Six Words to Live By

Hi Peter

I always think of the term "near vegan" a bit like the term "near pregnant". You either are, or you aren't!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Friday, July 25, 2008 8:11 PM

Peter vv